• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Aw man, either I dun goofed or there was a difficulty spike. It was smooth sailing until I started this side story where there's a load of flying units that surround you, lost both Lissa and Nowi. Then in the match after that Panne went down, and worst of all I lost Frederick. That dude was like, invincible for most of the game, I dunno what happened.

onionfrog

I'm at chapter 21 on my first play through right now. I think I may have grinded a bit too much. I grinded for skills with all of my parents(up to level 10 or 15 promoted for each), so now all the child characters I've gotten are ridiculously strong. Lucina, Severa, and Cynthia with Galeforce are too strong.

I think once I finish this play through I'm going to do a no grind run on either normal/classic or hard/classic.

Dresden

This is an amazing deal for those who bought Fire Emblem (NA only so far):

http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=618261

Register the game and buy Shin Megami Tensei IV and you'll get $30 eShop credit.

You can't pass on this deal guys.

Ended up joining Club Nintendo at last for this.

WLj6tLc.png

KePoW

Banned
Just saw youre playing Hard

Equip MU with veteran and pair up with Chrom with DS+ and DG+ for faster leveling

1. Switch to Mymridon and level to 10 for Vantage
2. Switch to Mercenary for Armsthrift
3. Promote to Hero at level 20 and level to 5 for Sol
4. Switch to General at level 10 and level to 15 for Pavise
5. Same for paladin if you want Aegis
6.Switch back to Hero

Male MU - Hero with Ragnell or Helswath
Sol
Vantage
Armsthrift
Pavise
Filler (Aegis, Wrath, Axe/Swordfaire)

Pair with Chrom for DS+ and DG+

Enjoy

How are you supposed to get Ragnells or Helswaths at the beginning of the game?

Chrom

You aren't supposed to, really. The only way to get them that early would be through the Infinite Regalia DLC, but that would require having a strong enough party to be able to manage handling that map efficiently. Ragnell and Helswath are weapons you aren't expected to obtain until much later in the game.

To clarify, you're right you cant get them early in the game, I was offering a endgame build which would guarantee that his MU would never die. As long as you have a 2 range weapon like a handaxe it will be sufficient for hard mode.

KePoW

Banned
To clarify, you're right you cant get them early in the game, I was offering a endgame build which would guarantee that his MU would never die. As long as you have a 2 range weapon like a handaxe it will be sufficient for hard mode.

Oh haha, I thought that guy was asking for starting advice since he just began the game. So I was confused at Ragnells/Helswaths lol

Oh haha, I thought that guy was asking for starting advice since he just began the game. So I was confused at Ragnells/Helswaths lol
Who me? I'm actually about halfway through the game. At least I think I am.
I'm recruiting the children

It's just slow going and I think I'm too busy wasting my time trying to level everyone when I probably should get on with the game. I blame OCD.

I had a rough start, lost a bunch of characters that I would have liked to have kept but I finally have a hang of it and my core squad is a bunch of death dealers.

First Strategy RPG that I have really enjoyed.

JCH!

So, I'm at Chapter 11 (Hard, Classic) and I have three level 20 characters (Sully, Chrom and Virion) I can't promote because I haven't found any more Master Seals... I've checked every random Anna shop and fought nearly all of the Risen challenges to no avail...

It sucks having to tip-toe around the levels because I don't want all that exp. going to waste on them, but it's really hard, considering they're the strongest characters I have...

JCH!

Hahaha, I guess my whining was unfounded then!

On an unrelated note, anyone using the Pegasus Knights? I've never really been a fan of them and the two you get early game seem completely unremarkable. Yeah, yeah, I know, Galeforce is awesome and all that but are they really worth the effort?

They are completely worth the effort but completely unecessary to finish hard mode. If you really dont like pegasus knight then just use other classes and skills which are also great. But Cordelia provides you with
Superior Severa

Sorry if this was already posted ,but

http://www.fireemblemwod.net/articu...ts&id=1369329094&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&

Interview with the Spanish magazine Hobby Consolas about FE13 , SMTxFE and a mention of Advance Wars.

- Nintendo said that 80% of players should can finish the game, but as there would be a 20% that wouldn't was the reason for including Casual mode.
- According to them, you can finish the game without using the "Pair up" system.
- According to Tohru Narihiro, the game is exactly the same in Japanese and Western versions (they rectify that is about mechanics)
- One more time they explain the reasons for the DLC, and also the new characters desings explained in previous interviews.
- They consider the Fire Emblem public a "Purist" one, but should also attract the general public.
- "How is working with Nintendo?" They explain that the 250.000 copies thing is almost with every game, isn't the first time. "It's like being in a very strict school that teaches you to no make games so I have a good time. The game should reach users or would be useless. [...] But you realize that it is necessary for be able to satisfy users."
- If they did a FE for WiiU, the game must sell 700.000 copies. First the series must improve on portables.
- They can't say that they are working on a new Advance Wars, but can't deny it either.

Now the interesting news...

What can you say about that crossover between Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei?
- Hitoshi Yamagami: For a long time, I wanted to create a FE on ours times, on the real world. Imagine a Pegasus that comes from the sky and lands on the Building 109 of Shibuya, Tokio. I always though that would be incredible. At the same time, I know it's hard because of how FE is. I visited many companies to express these ideas. When I went to Atlus, I was told that Shin Megami Tensei together with Fire Emblem is what I wanted. So, I soon said that to Intelligent Systems and started this very special collaboration. Oops! I shouldn't say that the game takes place in the real world. We haven't announced it, right?
- Others: Not really.
- Masahiro Higuchi: Not yet.
- Tohru Narihiro: Well, anyway, this is how the project was born, mixing these kind of ideas. I'm sure you'll get to see the birth of a new franchise and interesting ideas.

Why don't you launch that game as a DLC for Fire Emblem Awakening?
- HY: When preparing a DLC, you should base your game on the original. It is supposed to be content for theirs fans. If you want for them something different, you can disappoint them. This collaboration should be viewed as a separate one, intended for a different public. Thus, this crossover and DLC are very different things in nature.

Anteo

On an unrelated note, anyone using the Pegasus Knights? I've never really been a fan of them and the two you get early game seem completely unremarkable. Yeah, yeah, I know, Galeforce is awesome and all that but are they really worth the effort?

Sumia is pretty good in the chapter she joins, being able to double almost any character for a few chapters even without extra training. The extra movility from PK is great early game to move some untis around and finish the stages faster. I wish I could say the same about Cordelia, but she can barely survive the DKs in the chapter she joins. At that point in all my runs, Sumia is always way ahead of her in terms of stats so I don't find her usefull at all.

Draxal

Cordelia and Sumia are two of the handful first gen units that are truly viable in end game.

PBalfredo

I've always enjoyed the utility of peg knights. Having a bunch of fliers to ferry your troops out of the canyon in Carrion Isle makes the map much, much easier.

In this playthrough I've found that Lissa makes for a pretty darn good Dark Flier when equipped with tomes.

BTW, what's up with neither Dark Fliers or Dark Knights being able to use dark magic? Where these units originally named something else in Japanese that wasn't Dark _____?

They probably realised how broken they made aversa night and nosferatu, and removed dark magic from dark flier and dark knight to compensate, as well as giving sorcerer shitty caps

That horrible skill cap is what turns me off the most bro, anything less than 100% accuracy can and will fail you when you need it most. As well as the crappy speed.

rinker

So I just got this a couple days ago and I just unlocked bonus box (I'm on chapter 4 I think) - is it normal that it has tons of stuff that I can take for free for no reason? There's like 15 items, probably 40+ bonus teams where I can just pay to recruit the leader that is 5 times higher level than my guys. I feel like I'm cheating...

Chrom

So I just got this a couple days ago and I just unlocked bonus box (I'm on chapter 4 I think) - is it normal that it has tons of stuff that I can take for free for no reason? There's like 15 items, probably 40+ bonus teams where I can just pay to recruit the leader that is 5 times higher level than my guys. I feel like I'm cheating...

Yes, that is normal. You'd hardly be able to take advantage of most of it right off the bat, though.

KiraFA37

I bought the limited 3DS XL edition of Awakening a few days ago (brand new) and I must say I'm really impressed by the game. Played up to chapter 11 or 12 before restarting again. Too bad I really can't read up that much about the characters since they contain a lot of spoilers (not reading ahead for once when I play an RPG) . Just a question, is there still some free DLC inbound, or did I miss the bandwagon?

Draxal

I imagine the reason they gave Sorcerers low Skill caps is because of Vengeance, so that it won't activate all the time.

I think it's more involved with the low hit rate of dark tomes which was always the traditional weakness of dark magic (how much of a gamble they are).

However, the hit penalty was negligible in this game, and that's the reason we have broken dark magic.

Given the notification today had Lissa in the party hat I'm guessing this week number is when that scramble map first came out in Japan (so made sense then but is utterly random here).

Chrom

I like how the last SpotPass message doesn't even sound remotely conclusive. It just says the usual and that's it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Turns out this game is both the first emblem and the first SRPG I play. I played strategy games in the past, mostly 4X games. Been enjoying it so far, but I'm quite the newb. Right now playing in Normal-Casual, chapter 12. Just reading this page has me floored with all the class swaps and stuff.

It's quite the entertaining game, that's for sure. I plan to finish it, then later play through the harder difficulty modes with perma death.

I've got a few questions tho, if you don't mind answering.

First, what's the difference between the master seals and the second seals? I just promoted the PC to Grandmaster (or something similar sounding). From playing the game I guess leveling different classes is to allow stat growth, but from the post here I see there's also about gathering skills?

Speaking of skills, I found out you can learn weapon skills? Frederick learnt Luna (in a previous playthrough I stopped at chapter 8), but Sully (in my new playthrough) has been using that lance for a while and no dice. Do all the weapons with special effects offer the chance to learn a skill?

Weapon durability. So, weapons break... is there any way to repair them or reduce the rate at which they break? It's getting quite annoying, the named weapons don't last too much. Is it meant to keep changing weapons? I haven't toyed with the forge because weapons don't last and it does not looks like forging repairs it.

Finally, is there any good guide out there for FE newbies? Don't need something like super-advanced and in-depth, just something to build upon once I start playing with permadeath.

nvm the edit

Chrom

First, what's the difference between the master seals and the second seals? I just promoted the PC to Grandmaster (or something similar sounding). From playing the game I guess leveling different classes is to allow stat growth, but from the post here I see there's also about gathering skills?

Master Seals promote units to a class of a higher tier that corresponds to a unit's class. For instance, any and all Mercenaries use a Master Seal to change their class to either Hero or Warrior. Always.

Second Seals, however, change a unit's class within the same tier to another that corresponds to the actual character. As an example, Sully can use a Second Seal to reclass to the Myrmidon and Wyvern Rider class trees, where as Stahl, who shares the same starting class as Sully, has access to the Myrmidon and Archer lines. Second Seals are also used to class down to a lower tier and even back to the initial starting class so that you can endlessly level your characters.

Speaking of skills, I found out you can learn weapon skills? Frederick learnt Luna (in a previous playthrough I stopped at chapter 8), but Sully (in my new playthrough) has been using that lance for a while and no dice. Do all the weapons with special effects offer the chance to learn a skill?

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. Learning skills is not dependent on what weapons your units use. Instead, they are specific to class and level. Frederick learns Luna because Level 5 Great Knights learn Luna. Sully can learn Luna if she promotes to Great Knight and reaches Level 5.

Weapon durability. So, weapons break... is there any way to repair them or reduce the rate at which they break? It's getting quite annoying, the named weapons don't last too much. Is it meant to keep changing weapons? I haven't toyed with the forge because weapons don't last and it does not looks like forging repairs it.

You are expected to make use of any new weapons you obtain as your current ones break. There is a staff known as Hammerne that will completely replenish one weapon's use count, but it's relatively elusive and not meant to replace your main method of maintaining weapons.

Finally, is there any good guide out there for FE newbies? Don't need something like super-advanced and in-depth, just something to build upon once I start playing with permadeath.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/

Anteo

Turns out this game is both the first emblem and the first SRPG I play. I played strategy games in the past, mostly 4X games. Been enjoying it so far, but I'm quite the newb. Right now playing in Normal-Casual, chapter 12. Just reading this page has me floored with all the class swaps and stuff.

It's quite the entertaining game, that's for sure. I plan to finish it, then later play through the harder difficulty modes with perma death.

I've got a few questions tho, if you don't mind answering.

In this game, there are 2 tiers of classes, base clases and advanced classes, example:

Sully starts as the base class Cavalier. Meanwhile Frederick starts as the advanced class Great Knight (with poor stats for that class, but make sense since you get him really really early)

Using a Master seal will allow you to promote a unit from a base class to a advance class, so Sully can promtoe to a Great Knight, getting some extra stats and reseting here level to 1 so she can keep leveling up. She has one more option, going for Paladin instead, a class with much better resistence. Both Great Knight and Paladin are mounted units, so the same theme remains for promotions. Archers will promote to classes that can use bows, mages will promote to clases that can use magic, healers will promote to classes that can heal, etc

Meanwhile, second seals allow you to change the class of a unit to another, unrelated class, for example, you could use a second seal on Sully to change her to a Swordmaster, a lightweight sword unit on foot. This class has access to some other skills that other classes do not, like Astra (chance to hit 5 times in one move at 1/2 damage). Her stats will change acording to the base stats of the new class, but whatever stats you got by leveling up will remain.

Also, you can use a second seal to rever a advanced unit to a base class, or to change to a different advance class, for example changing Frederick from Great Knight to Griffon Rider.

You can't learn skills by using weapons, you learn them by leveling up in certain classes. Luna is a unique skill for Great Knights, as I explained in the last part, Great Knight is the advanced version of Cavalier, so Sully will be able to learn that skill after promoting to a Great Knight and leveling up 5 times. You can equip skills from different classes so teorically you can make Sully into a Paladin that has Luna, Astra and Vantage (skills that Paladin classes do not learn). You can use Luna regardless of the equiped weapon, so teorically you could learn Luna and change to a mage to use it with magic.

Weapon durability. So, weapons break... is there any way to repair them or reduce the rate at which they break? It's getting quite annoying, the named weapons don't last too much. Is it meant to keep changing weapons? I haven't toyed with the forge because weapons don't last and it does not looks like forging repairs it..

There is a rare, lategame item that repair weapons ONCE and it breaks, you can get more of those but they are not worth it imo. There is also the mercenary skill Armshift that gives you a chance of (2xSkill)% of not spending the weapon per attack. Since skill can go over 50, at some point these units will not break their weapons at all.

Finally, is there any good guide out there for FE newbies? Don't need something like super-advanced and in-depth, just something to build upon once I start playing with permadeath..

Dunno about this one sorry. Never used a guide for FE really, other than for specific "guide dang it" moments of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Oh allright... but since you cannot replay maps, then there's a limit to all the cross-classing you can do, right?

Now, is there any particular benefit to advanced classes other than the skills you can learn from that class?

Also, if you can swap classes at will, what's the difference between the characters other than the portrait and the gender for the waifu pairing - speaking of which, Sully and Stahl have been S for a while... are they ever gonna have a kid? Chrom and whathisname pegasus rider already got one.

Thanks for the guide, I'll check it out.

Oh allright... but since you cannot replay maps, then there's a limit to all the cross-classing you can do, right?

Now, is there any particular benefit to advanced classes other than the skills you can learn from that class?

Also, if you can swap classes at will, what's the difference between the characters other than the portrait and the gender for the waifu pairing - speaking of which, Sully and Stahl have been S for a while... are they ever gonna have a kid? Chrom and whathisname pegasus rider already got one.

You can summon risen with a reeking box to gain experience so experience is unlimited in this game. Or summon SpotPass teams from the Bonus Box. Or redo DLC maps.

Advanced classes will have higher stat caps than your basic classes.

Everyone expect your avatar, only has a limited set of classes they can be. So that'll also affect what classes their kids will inherit. You can see what classes kids will get on Serenes Forest.

All the kids will show up after Chapter. 13 I believe.

Anteo

You have unlimited spotpass battles and random battles to use. Also this reclassing thing is not necesary at all for the main game unless you:
A) Reach the max level.
B) Want to go for the post game and DLC maps.

About the benefit for advancing classes:
The advance classes have really strong skills, Luna for example halves the eneny def/res before damage calculation. So its a huge amout of extra damage in the later stages where enemies have 40 def, so extra 20 dmg is huge.

Also, advance classes have higher stat caps, base clases cap their stats around 25-30, while advance classes can get up to 45-55 for their stats, making them really strong compared any base class, add that to their unique skills and there is no reason to not use master seals.

The difference is in the avalible clases, not everyone can acces every class, so endgame untis will have acces to different skills, a good example are Sumia and Cordelia, both Pegasus Knights, they do not have the same alternate classes, so while Cordelia can acces the Mercenary Branch, Sumia can get the Cavalier related skills, which means differend end game skillset.

Kids start appear after Ch12 as soon as you get a S rank. You will get a extra new Paralogue to recruit the kid. However you dont always have acces to that paralogue right away, so you need to keep playing to get acces to some kids. Almost every female will get a kid as long as they are married. Only 2 male units have kids tied to them regardless of the female: MaleMU and Chrom. Since in your game Sumia is married with Chrom, they will get both Lucina(Tied to Chrom) and
Cynthia (tied to Sumia)
as their kids. Kids inherit parents alternate classes and part of their stat caps (every unit have a unique modifier for their caps) so they are generally stronger and more versatile than their parents.

Anteo

So in a nutshell the game is about creating uber-powerful frankenstein characters with bits of this and bits of that class?

As I said, only if you want to attempt post game content stuff. Otherwise just play it for fun =P
I really like going through the story with no grinding in extra random stages (so basically, I'm limited to campaing stages) and using whatever thing the main stage gives, that makes you think about your resources much more.

Top Bottom