• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

ohlawd

Finally on the last mission. I just need to get Gaius & Olivia one more rank up and I'll have all the babies before I finish it up. I'm not sure if I want to do hard after this, or jump straight to lunatic. Normal was way too easy, so I doubt I'll do many of the post-game maps because it would probably just be a steamroll (or are they really hard?)

In any case, this is my game to beat for GotY.

Go straight to Lunatic but if you can't handle the heat (chapters 1-5; 5 might be your breakdown chapter depending if you're using DLC), wind down to Hard. No one will judge you.

If your units are fresh from the endgame, I don't think you'd be able to steamroll all the postgame maps.

GamerSoul

Go straight to Lunatic but if you can't handle the heat (chapters 1-5; 5 might be your breakdown chapter depending if you're using DLC), wind down to Hard. No one will judge you.

If your units are fresh from the endgame, I don't think you'd be able to steamroll all the postgame maps.

im so' broke. I'd love to try lunatic again but I don't have any dlc and it will likely be as brutal as my first go at it. I couldn't save any body unless they were used in pairings. lol.

confession time. I never understood the street pass stuff outside of the free items and past FE team battles. how could you battle against other player teams?

Chrom

confession time. I never understood the street pass stuff outside of the free items and past FE team battles. how could you battle against other player teams?

When you StreetPass another player, their Avatar will pop up on the world map, just like an enemy would. You go up to them and you have options like buying their inventory, buying out the Avatar itself so that he or she may join your party, or you can challenge them in a skirmish (their party can consist of up to 10 units from their save file) to recruit the Avatar.

GamerSoul

When you StreetPass another player, their Avatar will pop up on the world map, just like an enemy would. You go up to them and you have options like buying their inventory, buying out the Avatar itself so that he or she may join your party, or you can challenge them in a skirmish (their party can consist of up to 10 units from their save file) to recruit the Avatar.

I never tried that. ill give it a sshot eventually. thank you.

Oxx

There are a couple of streetpass team lingering on my world map that I can't beat (and won't be able to unless I grind limit break a whole lot more).

I forgot that I could just pay them to join. Does that still give renown?

Chrom

There are a couple of streetpass team lingering on my world map that I can't beat (and won't be able to unless I grind limit break a whole lot more).

I believe so, yes. You get renown regardless of how you recruit anyone. That's how I remember it with the Bonus Teams.

ohlawd

You always get 50 renown no matter what.

Recruiting low/high, beating low/high leveled teams; doesn't matter at all.

Tuck

God, I suck. I've tried chapter 19 like twenty times. The problem is the same every time: the enemy bombards one character until they die, ignoring all the others next to that character. Usually Tharja or Frederick. Annoying as hell. I'd rather not switch to the non-permanent death mode, but if that means actually being able to finish the game, I may have no choice. Rather not grind either but I may have to.

EDIT: :O I may have done it... just two enemies and the boss left. My heart is pounding. Hope this works.

EDIT: Did it! Woo that was hard...

Chrom

I move the cursor over the chest (the cursor becomes red, no actions are allowed), I move the character next to it (no "open" option whatsoever).

Are you sure that the person you're using has the right kind of key in their own personal inventory? Door keys can't open chests, and if the key isn't actually actually on-hand (i.e. someone else is holding it or it's in the convoy), then the "Chest" option shouldn't appear.

Alternatively, you can bring someone with the Locktouch skill to open the chest without a key. Same method, just without needing a key on you.

Rehynn

Are you sure that the person you're using has the right kind of key in their own personal inventory? Door keys can't open chests, and if the key isn't actually actually on-hand (i.e. someone else is holding it or it's in the convoy), then the "Chest" option shouldn't appear.

Alternatively, you can bring someone with the Locktouch skill to open the chest without a key. Same method, just without needing a key on you.

I was standing right next to the chest with a character who had two chest keys in his inventory.

I don't have acharacter with the Locktouch skill yet:(

One enemy thief had already exited the map when I got to the chest, but he had previously opened another chest, so even if every key is assigned to a specific chest, I should've been able to open the last one with one of the two keys I had.

Also, I gave a mounted character a sword to make her more effective against axe-wielding enemies, but she couldn't use it.... I don't completely understand the game yet.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Wichu

I was standing right next to the chest with a character who had two chest keys in his inventory.

I don't have acharacter with the Locktouch skill yet:(

One enemy thief had already exited the map when I got to the chest, but he had previously opened another chest, so even if every key is assigned to a specific chest, I should've been able to open the last one with one of the two keys I had.

Also, I gave a mounted character a sword to make her more effective against axe-wielding enemies, but she couldn't use it.... I don't completely understand the game yet.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Not sure on your chest issue - which map is that on?

Anyway, regarding being unable to use the sword, there are two reasons you might not be able to use it. The first is that Valkyries and non-horse-mounted units (e.g. Pegasus Knights) can't use swords. The more likely reason in your case is that the sword probably requires a higher weapon level; try equipping a lower-level sword such as a Bronze Sword first. As you use swords, your weapon level will increase, allowing you to use better swords.

Rehynn

Not sure on your chest issue - which map is that on?

The first side-mission, Farfort.

Anyway, regarding being unable to use the sword, there are two reasons you might not be able to use it. The first is that Valkyries and non-horse-mounted units (e.g. Pegasus Knights) can't use swords.

Ah, that must be it, I was trying to use the sword with Sumia, thanks!

Celegus

Man... Paralogue 18 (the first orange map) is really getting annoying. I'm supposed to talk to the guy 3 times?! If I Chrom in unarmed, he gets swarmed and I can't get adjacent to him to talk, and if I give him a weapon, he counter-attacks everyone to death in one turn.

McNum

Man... Paralogue 18 (the first orange map) is really getting annoying. I'm supposed to talk to the guy 3 times?! If I Chrom in unarmed, he gets swarmed and I can't get adjacent to him to talk, and if I give him a weapon, he counter-attacks everyone to death in one turn.
Mark the guy with A. The red area is the area where he'll attack. Since his weapons is 1-2 range, place Chrom only in the outer squares. Any enemy that can interfere will run up and get Chrom'd. But the guy will run up and use his Levin Sword to attack at range, which Chrom can't counter. So, in theory, Chrom should be standing alone with the guy one step away now. Walk up to him, disarm Chrom and Talk. Repeat three times.

Send other units to fight the enemies that didn't get Chrom'd, but make sure no one else is in the red attack range, Use a Rescue staff if you have to get someone out of there. Don't give him an opportunity to suicide on your units,

Celegus

Mark the guy with A. The red area is the area where he'll attack. Since his weapons is 1-2 range, place Chrom only in the outer squares. Any enemy that can interfere will run up and get Chrom'd. But the guy will run up and use his Levin Sword to attack at range, which Chrom can't counter. So, in theory, Chrom should be standing alone with the guy one step away now. Walk up to him, disarm Chrom and Talk. Repeat three times.

Send other units to fight the enemies that didn't get Chrom'd, but make sure no one else is in the red attack range, Use a Rescue staff if you have to get someone out of there. Don't give him an opportunity to suicide on your units,

Thanks, I'll try that next time. I thought that's what I did last time, but I may have marked the wrong guy, because he also got himself killed.

McNum

Thanks, I'll try that next time. I thought that's what I did last time, but I may have marked the wrong guy, because he also got himself killed.
Don't give him the chance to. Always assume that he's going to attack the character most likely to kill him of all his options. Because the AI is spiteful. Then limit his options so he can't kill himself, no matter how hard he tries.

Celegus

Don't give him the chance to. Always assume that he's going to attack the character most likely to kill him of all his options. Because the AI is spiteful. Then limit his options so he can't kill himself, no matter how hard he tries.

Heh, I did finally get it. That sure was a tricky one compared to most. I was mostly watching The International when I tried it the first few times, so wasn't entirely paying attention. I think it's some kind of rule that allies / potential allies in SRPGs are suicidal. Tactics Ogre PSP in particular was almost hilarious at how gung-ho the person you were supposed to be rescuing was.

Even these orange maps are just mindless steamrolling, don't even have to worry about where my guys are going or pulling one at a time. I'm really looking forward to getting my butt kicked on Lunatic though!

Rehynn

Wow, is it normal for the game to throw very hard, 18 vs 8 optional battles at you before the third story mission? Chrom, Virion, and the magician girl can'finish off a random Risen axeman in a simgle round... And that's just one enemy, when I'm having a hard time holding a bridge against 16 others with the rest of my team.

I'm playing classic mode, don't want to lose characters, and don't want to skip the battle because I'm a completionist, but this is insane.

NeonZ

Is the battle called "challenge"? If so, you don't really need to worry about finishing it. Those are just random battles, there's nothing unique in them. The Risen in those battles are a few levels above the enemies that appeared in the same region for a story battle, that means that, in the beginning of the game, they'll likely always be too much for your troops. After doing a few more chapters you'll be able to get through those early ones easily enough. They randomly appear and disappear based on a mix of real world time and in-game events.

Jintor

tumblr_mpye3ht3hN1qgh0xuo1_500.jpg

Gah

Celegus

Chrom is a big mystery but remember you can probably woo over Gaius with candy.

Gaius was the one making the pies, and his is more understandable because of his sweet tooth; mostly I just found it funny that two of my pairs fell in love because of the same variety of baked good.

Wiseblade

My hard mode playthrough is almost complete!

Chrom-Olivia
Gaius-Tharja
Henry-Sumia
Fredrick-Cordelia
Donnel-Nowi
Lissa-Gregor
Lon'qu-Panne
Vaike-Miriel
???-Maribelle
Stahl-Cherche (working on)

are my pairings. I don't have the game in front of me, so I might be missing a couple.

<3

Still working on the support grind? lol

I have done all but two of the non-avatar parent support pairings (Frederick x Sumia and Chrom x Olivia) including all the stupid kids to parents one.

Now working of pairing off the male avatar with everyone. And getting the parent and siblings supports.

I might hold off on doing the female avatar's side cause I kinda do want a break from this game. >_>

Celegus

My hard mode playthrough is almost complete!

Chrom-Olivia
Gaius-Tharja
Henry-Sumia
Fredrick-Cordelia
Donnel-Nowi
Lissa-Gregor
Lon'qu-Panne
Vaike-Miriel
???-Maribelle
Stahl-Cherche (working on)

are my pairings. I don't have the game in front of me, so I might be missing a couple.

That one just sounds disturbing.

Celegus

I wanted Owain to have armsthrift!

The support wasn't that creepy, at least until the end. He sounded more like a live-in bodyguard/life coach rather than a husband.

Not a bad plan, just I don't want to imagine that. I was pretty bummed my Owain turned out so crappy, I used Lissa and Henry but they were both super low level. He would've been fun to use, but fell by the wayside. My Gerome is a monster, but I don't care much for his personality.

KiraFA37

Gregor creepy? The man just has an abundance of life experience.

Anyway I'm currently support grinding for all the supports and was busy playing on one of my "keeper" saves, the one where my female avatar is married to Chrom, and recently picked up Cynthia. Unfortunately her red "Gaius" hair clashes with her attire, which means I'll have to redo a lot of griding (call me shallow). Good news for Henry though.

Wiseblade

Gregor creepy? The man just has an abundance of life experience.

Anyway I'm currently support grinding for all the supports and was busy playing on one of my "keeper" saves, the one where my female avatar is married to Chrom, and recently picked up Cynthia. Unfortunately her red "Gaius" hair clashes with her attire, which means I'll have to redo a lot of griding (call me shallow). Good news for Henry though.
Gaius-Sumia is a waste of a his classset, anyway. Better to pair him up with Sully or Tharja so he can pass Galeforce access to his daughter.

Draxal

Not a bad plan, just I don't want to imagine that. I was pretty bummed my Owain turned out so crappy, I used Lissa and Henry but they were both super low level. He would've been fun to use, but fell by the wayside. My Gerome is a monster, but I don't care much for his personality.

Lissa/Henry Owain is the best Owain (well non avatar dad Owain).

Draxal

Why's that? If I change him into a mage class, he won't get to use his sword hand..

Magic (especially Dark Magic) trumps Physical in this game; and Lissa's growth (thus Owain's growth) entirely favors magic.

You can keep him as a swordmaster and give him a Levin Sword as well.

Top Bottom