• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

CorvoSol

Got all my couples with their knots tied, now I just need to get a good skill on each and I can advance the plot for the first time since like, April.

hitmon

That's all the possible mothers besides Female MC.

Say'ri can also learn it.

The following SpotPass characters also get it:
Emmeryn and Aversa

The children of those mothers will also learn it or can inherit it as well as any daughter of the male avatar, and either Sully's, Tharja's and Nowi's daughter if they marry Donnel, Gaius or the avatar.

Thanks for quick response!

KiraFA37

It's been a few months since I've beaten this game, and haven't touched it in a while. I got $30 eshop credit, and I started to remember there was DLC for this game.

Is any of the DLC worth picking up? Not sure what there was, but is there any good story DLC, or just ones that are fun and worth playing?

I'd like an answer to this too.

I think that in comparison to other games the DLC is quite good, and if this is the nintendo way of doing DLC then I'm quite pleased. My thoughts:
-Champions of Yore: kinda meh, the cheapest and first DLC but it gives and introduction and what to expect.
-Golden : gold,exp and items grinding, do not buy if you can't resist farming.
-Scramble: mostly fan service, but I really liked it, adds a lot of conversations between characters.
-Future Past : haven't played it yet but it is a must. It
follows the story in the future
, adds a lot conversations and is quite challenging.
-Challenge: maximum challenge, haven't tried yet since I quit after seeing the enemy.
-Lost Bloodlines and Smash Brethern : haven't bought or played yet but both add an additional class to the game.
-Rogue and Redeemers: haven't played.

Since you are looking for story or funny I recommend getting the scramble and future past packs. I mean, Lissa looks adorable with a party hat!
partyhat_eng.png

Here's and overview the DLC if you have more questions:
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/dlc_eu.html#list

Maulik

So i've been playing the game for the past month or so on normal difficulty and I can't help but feel that this game doesn't have that much strategic depth. I'm pretty much clumping all my guys together with bruisers infront and ranged at the back and just chewing through scenarios. I thought there would be more thought needed in terms of terrain, flanking etc but the best strategy seems to be just to send your entire mass at whatever is attacking. I don't know if its the difficulty level or what but I'm just not getting what I thought i would have. Now granted this is my first Fire Emblem game and I had just come off playing final fantasy tactics but can someone give me a different view point on the game's strategic elements.

Maulik

So at the harder difficulty level, does the game introduce some additional considerations that you have to be aware of or is it just that they hit harder?

So at the harder difficulty level, does the game introduce some additional considerations that you have to be aware of or is it just that they hit harder?
From my understanding, they not only hit harder, but you have more enemies and they play a goo amount smarted than on Normal.

McNum

It does one change to the turn order.

On Normal it's Player Phase, Enemy Phase, Enemy Reinforcements, Player Phase.

On anything above it's Player Phase, Enemy Reinforcements, Enemy Phase, Player Phase.

Meaning enemy reinforcements get to act on the turn they appear rather than having to wait until after your turn.

Anteo

You can also try to go for a no grind run, or just a plain speedrun, makes the game even harder since you need to handle your limited resources and exp carefully and plan for the long run.

Dawg

I finally bought the game yesterday, but I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. I did play a lot of Advance Wars game though. Didn't even know it was the same dev uptil recently.

Is there like a lower difficulty I should pick? I've heard some things about allies dieing or something. Perma-death?

McNum

If this is your first Fire Emblem, go with Normal difficulty. If you're good at SRPGs, you can probably go with Hard, but for a new player, Fire Emblem really does mean what it says in difficulty names. And even on Normal, the AI is so very spiteful. If you give it a chance to mess you up, it will.

As for permadeath, it's up to you. If you want to play with it on, pick Classic after choosing difficulty, if you want it turned off, pick Newcomer/Casual instead. Be aware that Chrom or your Avatar getting killed will STILL be an instant Game Over even on Newcomer/Casual.

Played and finished the Harvest Scramble dlc episode. Some funny dialogue, with slight
gay jokes
. Thr fight was pretty easy though, just waves of zombie things that I steamrolled through. Kinda disappointed.

Moving on to Summer Scramble.

Ezalc

So I'm a Fire Emblem series vet, but this game seems to have a bunch of new systems and classes. Somebody help a guy out with this please:

Some good pairings? I played FE4 and I still remember some of those pairings, obviously those have nothing to do with this game but I would like to know some good ones. All I know is that my guy is getting on that Tharja train, mmmm.
Second seals and master seals. So I always assumed that the best thing to do is wait until level 20 to do anything. I'm guessing that's not the case here? Can I make Donnel into a soldier in this game? I want him to become like a male Nephenee. Also second seals confuse me, when should I use these things?
DLC chapters. So I bought a few of them, mainly the ones with Roy, Seliph, Leaf, Alm, and maybe somebody else I can't remember at the moment. If I complete these will I be able to use these characters during story missions? How does it work?

Anteo

So I'm a Fire Emblem series vet, but this game seems to have a bunch of new systems and classes. Somebody help a guy out with this please:

Some good pairings? I played FE4 and I still remember some of those pairings, obviously those have nothing to do with this game but I would like to know some good ones. All I know is that my guy is getting on that Tharja train, mmmm.
Second seals and master seals. So I always assumed that the best thing to do is wait until level 20 to do anything. I'm guessing that's not the case here? Can I make Donnel into a soldier in this game? I want him to become like a male Nephenee. Also second seals confuse me, when should I use these things?
DLC chapters. So I bought a few of them, mainly the ones with Roy, Seliph, Leaf, Alm, and maybe somebody else I can't remember at the moment. If I complete these will I be able to use these characters during story missions? How does it work?

Good pairings, you have two choices, either pair people with the same strenghts so they are stronger (2 mages for example), or pair them to cover their weakness (a mage and a general). It really depends on what you want to do in the long run.

For your first promotion try to wait to level 20. When you promote the game sets your internal level as 21 so you will level up slower if you go from 10 to 21. After your first promotion, when you start abusing the second seals, it doesnt matter.

Soldier is not a playable class in Awakening, it is exclusive to enemy units. Also, Donnel does not have any lance related class avalible other than villager. Units have some avalible extra classes on them and its different from unit to unit, so even two pegasus knight will have acces to different clases. Example: Sumia and Cordelia, Sumia has access to Great Knight (so she gets Luna) while Cordelia has access to Hero (so she gets Sol)

DLC chapters, well you can replay those as much as you want, and you can use the unit you get at the end (like Marth) in your main playthrough. They can't interact with anyone in the party though, but they have access to any class of their own gender that is not a exclusive class like villager, manakete or dancer (unless the unit starts as a manakete)

ohlawd

hmm

I like these pairings
MU x Tharja
Chrom x Sumia
Lissa x Ricken (pass down Galeforce from mom)
Olivia x Virion (pass down Galeforce from mom)
Donnel x Sully
Maribelle x Libra (pass down Galeforce from mom)
Stahl x Cordelia
Vaike x Cherche
Gregor x Panne
Kellam x Nowi
Uhh... Miriel.... oh god who is left... Henry I guess.

You'll probably get someone else to rec you Chrom x Olivia and Sumia x Henry. Miriel will get the leftovers Lon'qu or Gaius then. Do whatever.

For the first time, let your guy get to lvl 20 or so. The unit is still fresh with none of that internal level bs so you're essentially wasting good exp if you promote earlier.

Donnel loses his lance availability and is stuck with axes and/or bows when he gets out of his Villager class. Villager class is garbage, mind you.

Second Seals should be used at lvl 10 for unpromoted and lvl 15 for promoted units. Those levels are when a unit learns their 2nd skill for that respective class. Some nice skills include lvl 5 Luna from Great Knight, lvl 15 from Dark Flier, lvl 1 Armsthrift from Mercenary, lvl 1 Veteran from Tactician, lvl 15 Dual Support+ from Valkyrie, etc...

You can use those DLC characters wherever you want but they don't do jack in the actual story. They're basically like the MU/FeMU when it comes to reclassing so they're awesomely versatile. They don't got supports with other characters either.

Took too long to type so Anteo beat me to the punch.

Wunder

Just picked this up along with my 3DSXL. Been having an absolute blast on Normal/Classic, although my Miriel did die like on mission 3 :lol. How gutted should I be when a character bites the dust? It's getting to a point where I have so many and a bunch of them are underleveled too, what happens if two or three of my higher level guys die? Do I just continue on with my level 2-3s and play more conservatively?

Dawg

So, I like pairing units but only one guy gets the xp right? You have to switch the main guy if you want to change who gets xp? I did notice both characters tend to attack every now and then and both get xp though.

Also lost Donnel during his mission :(

Anteo

Just picked this up along with my 3DSXL. Been having an absolute blast on Normal/Classic, although my Miriel did die like on mission 3 :lol. How gutted should I be when a character bites the dust? It's getting to a point where I have so many and a bunch of them are underleveled too, what happens if two or three of my higher level guys die? Do I just continue on with my level 2-3s and play more conservatively?

Some characters are key to unlock others later in the game. Miriel is one of them, so you lost the other recruit as well.

Most people just reset after a death on classic (we love perfect runs, a death = game over, playing on casual = no game over condition other than Chrom or MU dying).

Losing a higher level character in awakening means you will need to grind some others to make them usefull in the fights so is not a big deal, other than wasting some minutes to get the new unit to the average level of the party. In other fire emblem titles, there is no place to grind and experience is limited so losing a higher level character could make your file unwinable.

Wunder

Some characters are key to unlock others later in the game. Miriel is one of them, so you lost the other recruit as well.

Most people just reset after a death on classic (we love perfect runs, a death = game over, playing on casual = no game over condition other than Chrom or MU dying).

Losing a higher level character in awakening means you will need to grind some others to make them usefull in the fights so is not a big deal, other than wasting some minutes to get the new unit to the average level of the party. In other fire emblem titles, there is no place to grind and experience is limited so losing a higher level character could make your file unwinable.

:( RIP Miriel. Maybe I should be restarting more but I like the finality of it all, it happens so quick and is pretty shocking, I'd hate to take that aspect of the game away. I restarted like three times trying to get Gaius to live but I ended up losing Stahl in the run that I actually got him to survive :[

Wiseblade

:( RIP Miriel. Maybe I should be restarting more but I like the finality of it all, it happens so quick and is pretty shocking, I'd hate to take that aspect of the game away. I restarted like three times trying to get Gaius to live but I ended up losing Stahl in the run that I actually got him to survive :[
Losing Stahl to gain Gaius? I'll take that trade any day of the week.

CorvoSol

Losing Stahl to gain Gaius? I'll take that trade any day of the week.

Not me, no sir. Stahl is one of my favorites and I can't believe I actually allowed Gaius to breed this time around. Ugh, Gaius.

Speaking of Stahl, I got
Owain
in this playthrough. Hitched Stahl and Lissa, so
Owain
has hair that I don't care if you say is brown it looks like pea green to me. Point is, Stahl is like, my second or third favorite male character in the game, after Chrom and GREGOR.

Really, if I could, I would let Gregor marry every woman in the game at the same time.

Wiseblade

WHAT

Gaius is a stone cold boss. Even when drooling over cakes or covered in bee stings, he's cooler than Stahl could ever hope to be.

CorvoSol

Gaius is a try-hard piece of fangirl bait who lives off of one very long, dragged out pun.

Stahl, on the other hand, is an easy going jack of all trades who has taken a bath more than once in his life. Gaius is constantly covered in grime. Even on his worst day Stahl is a million times cooler than Gaius could ever hope to be.

KiraFA37

But does he have emergency candy pockets? You see while Gaius his uniform might be dirty I bet those pockets of his are cleaner then an doctors surgery room, don't wanna spoil the sweets do we? Atleast we agree Gregor is awesome.

CorvoSol

Stahl is easily the most boring character in the game, and this game has Kjelle and Kellam in it.

Pshaw. I just like Stahl a lot because the guy is sort of understated. I can relate to being a "master of none," and I like that he's an easy-going, light-hearted guy. Plus I like his design, bowl and all. I'm not that big of a fan of Gaius, either. Stahl definitely places in my top three, when the Tactician is excluded. Chrom, GREGOR and Stahl.

ohlawd

Pshaw. I just like Stahl a lot because the guy is sort of understated. I can relate to being a "master of none," and I like that he's an easy-going, light-hearted guy. Plus I like his design, bowl and all. I'm not that big of a fan of Gaius, either. Stahl definitely places in my top three, when the Tactician is excluded. Chrom, GREGOR and Stahl.

Chrom ruins your top 3.

Put in Owain in there or something.

TWILT

Banned
Gaius > Your favorite non-child male character unless his name is Lon'qu

EDIT: Whoops, forgot Gerome's birthday yesterday. I'm a terrible parent. ;_;

Wiseblade

In no particular order:

Gen 1 males
Gaius
Gregor
Lon'qu