• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

ohlawd

I like Ricken!Owain because he should be a Sage and a Sage only. Might as well bump up his Mag stat.

Lol.

ALMOST beat Side Story 1 with one hit left on the boss and Sumia died..

RESET.
99.9% of the posters here will tell you that you shouldn't have reset because lolsumia.

Well I'm here to tell you good job on resetting because Sumia is teh sex.

Celegus

I like Ricken!Owain because he should be a Sage and a Sage only. Might as well bump up his Mag stat.

99.9% of the posters here will tell you that you shouldn't have reset because lolsumia.

Madness! Reset for ANYONE!

GamerSoul

Lol.

ALMOST beat Side Story 1 with one hit left on the boss and Sumia died..

RESET.

how far are you? ahh sorry youre having a tough time man. if there's an easy mode, I don't remember, I say try that out for a few chapters to get more experience and hopefully it will build your understanding of the game. I think you're doing allright. that paralogue isn't the easiest.

random but I have to after taking some time away from this game lol.

my list:

1. Sully

2. Noire

3. Nah

4. Flavia

5. My Unit (female) lol

ohlawd

lol I do, she's an interesting character and I wish we learned more about her and her country through more supports. plus she's a hero by default, not many ladies can do that.

I was kiddin', yo :(

Not much info than we already need to know: Basilio and Flavia are leaders of their own side of Regna Ferox and they're older than a bag of raisins.

GamerSoul

I was kiddin', yo :(

Not much info than we already need to know: Basilio and Flavia are leaders of their own side of Regna Ferox and they're older than a bag of raisins.

oh my bad, probably my lack of sleep. and well maybe i like raisins lol some characters just stuck with me and she was one of them. I always felt the tough veteran characters were cool.....like Vaida :3 hahaha

Acccent

Hey.

So I'm at Chapter 6 on Normal/Classic and I'm wondering one thing: is this game really meant to have permadeath? I beat the map and saved in another slot because Vaike died. I'm fine with characters dying permanently, but it look like allowing this locks me out of a lot of things - unique dialogues and character developments... What should I do? Just keep on playing that way and let people die at the cost of non-negligible story bits, reset whenever anyone dies, or just turn off permadeath?

That's entirely your call. Some people prefer to reset when someone dies so that they can hone their approach to battles, others prefer the punishment of losing someone due to their own oversight.

McNum

Hey.

So I'm at Chapter 6 on Normal/Classic and I'm wondering one thing: is this game really meant to have permadeath? I beat the map and saved in another slot because Vaike died. I'm fine with characters dying permanently, but it look like allowing this locks me out of a lot of things - unique dialogues and character developments... What should I do? Just keep on playing that way and let people die at the cost of non-negligible story bits, reset whenever anyone dies, or just turn off permadeath?
Sounds like you got it. That's pretty much Fire Emblem. Good characters with plenty of room for development and then they die and you don't get to see any of that. Most of us just reset the game if we lose a character.

Anteo

Hey.

That's the point of the game really, after a long battle if someone gets killed, is up to the player to reset and replay a 20+ mins stage or just go ahead with a crippled army. Having maps to grind avalible helps getting lower lever chars up to date so you army should never get to a point where you cant beat a level.

Acccent

The thing is, again, I'm fine with characters dying because of my own mistakes - I loved XCOM for that reason, for instance. But here it does seem like a lot of the game is taken away from me whenever someone dies, and it even removes growth opportunities for other chars. Basically my question is: what's the real cost of losing a 'major' character like Vaike, apart from not being able to use him/her in battle? And is his/her death acknowledged in future dialogues between the surviving characters?

Other questions: is there no way to repair weapons to keep using them? And is the game going to explain how/when to convert characters to advanced classes? This is my first FE and it does a really crappy job at explaining anything beyond basic stuff, imo :(

Oh and, is there a reason for me not to keep using the same team in all my battles? Right now I'm trying to have them all grow at a relatively similar pace, but I can already see that some are definitely better than others, and using the worst ones to train them always feels like a burden with no real goal.

Anteo

The thing is, again, I'm fine with characters dying because of my own mistakes - I loved XCOM for that reason, for instance. But here it does seem like a lot of the game is taken away from me whenever someone dies, and it even removes growth opportunities for other chars. Basically my question is: what's the real cost of losing a 'major' character like Vaike, apart from not being able to use him/her in battle? And is his/her death acknowledged in future dialogues between the surviving characters?

Other questions: is there no way to repair weapons to keep using them? And is the game going to explain how/when to convert characters to advanced classes? This is my first FE and it does a really crappy job at explaining anything beyond basic stuff, imo :(

Oh and, is there a reason for me not to keep using the same team in all my battles? Right now I'm trying to have them all grow at a relatively similar pace, but I can already see that some are definitely better than others, and using the worst ones to train them always feels like a burden with no real goal.

Some characters are key to recruit later characters, Only Valkie dying will not make it impossible to get all of the others, but too many deaths and you will be missing a few Valkie is not a key character to recruit later chars, but you will need at least "X" chars on your party to get those new characters at some point, so him, Virion, Miriel and Kellam dying means that you are locking out at least 2 characters, maybe 3.

There is a super late game way to repair weapons, but even then you are supposed to manage your gold and get new weapons often.

If you are playing in normal, yes it will explain everything when is necesary, remember to visit the houses/villages in all chapters.

About using the same army, all depends on how you want to play, I like to focus on a small army. If you get eveyone at the same level, they you have many more options for some stages. There was a group of stages that made me wish I had more cavalry and less lightweight units. In fact, it forced me to leave all my healres and anyone who could not tank at least 4-5 heavy hits in a turn and get in with 4 of my strongest units and losts of elixirs.

Anteo

Virion and Kellam dying won't hinder you from recruiting other characters in any way. You don't ever need them.

Dont read this if you dont know how to recruit the characters that come frome later paralogues.
How many males can you lose before being unable to get a child? I believe with a female avatar, you can lose like 2 right? I mean excluding Vasilio and the likes that only get kids with femalemu

Edit:
I guess losing Miriel means one less female to give kids so you get one male back.
Cynthia can get screwed pretty fast, I mean Sumia only have 4+MaleMU possible s-ranks. Kill 3 of them and marry the other 2 to other women, and no Cynthia

Acccent

Okay, thanks for the replies! I guess the weapons not being repairable does kinda lessen how OP Frederick+Luna and Lon'qu+Killing Edge are :p

McNum

Okay, thanks for the replies! I guess the weapons not being repairable does kinda lessen how OP Frederick+Luna and Lon'qu+Killing Edge are :p
Killing Edges will be available in stores later, but carry a Steel Sword or something early to not waste the early Killing Edge on attacks where a critical doesn't matter.

Celegus

Welp, I'm finally about to finish the game! The music in the last mission is so good I don't want to beat it! And I totally cheesed the Radiant Hero mission with Super Donnel, because trying to use everyone and not have anyone get killed didn't look like a very fun time.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm finally at the final boss.
some suggestions? I've tried it once but he is really strong. should I try to attack him with more units possible in one turn, using Falchion (Chrom and Lucina)?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've finished the game yesterday, and I really loved every second of it. great as usual. probably a step back compared to the GC/Wii titles under a storytelling point of view, but superior in terms of gameplay imho.
I loved the final little cutscene :)
I've decided to sacrifice my avatar, so I was happy so discover that Chrome was able to find me out again, for real)

Celegus

I've decided to sacrifice my avatar, so I was happy so discover that Chrome was able to find me out again, for real)

I did the same and definitely think that was the better choice, but I was disappointed that he/she survived anyway because of "friendship". As a completely made up character that can't really tie into the next FE game, I really didn't see the point of not wrapping up his/her plot entirely. Would've given the ending a lot more impact, but it's not a huge deal, because who really plays this game for the story anyway?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I did the same and definitely think that was the better choice, but I was disappointed that he/she survived anyway because of "friendship". As a completely made up character that can't really tie into the next FE game, I really didn't see the point of not wrapping up his/her plot entirely. Would've given the ending a lot more impact, but it's not a huge deal, because who really plays this game for the story anyway?

Well, this episode wasn't so good in terms of story, but the previous two home episodes were great under that point of view, imho
btw I agree with you, but I was just too happy about that
last short little piece of cutscene after the ending :)

SuperSah

Banned
how far are you? ahh sorry youre having a tough time man. if there's an easy mode, I don't remember, I say try that out for a few chapters to get more experience and hopefully it will build your understanding of the game. I think you're doing allright. that paralogue isn't the easiest.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm Chapter 5. I'm having a very difficult time. I'm not used to SRPG so it's kind of my fault for not playing Easy, but if I play Easy, beat it, I usually have no incentive to return, so i'd rather enjoy a challenge.

Sumia. <3

Frost_Ace

Sorry for the late reply. I'm Chapter 5. I'm having a very difficult time. I'm not used to SRPG so it's kind of my fault for not playing Easy, but if I play Easy, beat it, I usually have no incentive to return, so i'd rather enjoy a challenge.

My advice is to always pair up units, it makes them stronger and it adds support points.

ohlawd

well no don't always pair up units. Other units need exp, too. Plus you're kinda thinning out your army if you got everyone paired up but this point isn't that major.

But if you're playing on Normal, Risen boxes go for 500 a pop. Dirt cheap imo. On higher difficulties, they go for 4.8k which means those boxes aren't a viable means to train.

But then the DLC and those don't scale in difficulty so...

yeah.

Celegus

I do that but never know who's good with you.

I.E: I put Sumia and Chrom together sometimes, then Kellam and that Lon'qu bloke.

I feel like i'm doing it "wrong".

Generally I just picked two characters that I wanted to get married, and always paired them up every battle until they hit S Rank. It takes a pretty long while to get all the children, and makes it easier to figure out who should match up with you. Generally similar units work better together (fighters with fighters, mages with mages), since they'll share the highest stats and give more of an improvement to the lead member. Or sometimes it's smart to stick a defensive character like Kellam with a squishier one so they can survive longer, but I almost always just based my pairings off of marriage over utility.

CorvoSol

Just started up again, after taking a good break. Still have six couples to grind out. Don't think I'll really bother, though. Just gonna make sure every mommy who can has Galeforce and then dump something like Astra or Sol or Lethality onto the kids from Daddy's side. Save file is 80h+, and I'm still sitting at chapter 17 because I spent a long, long time grinding and didn't realize I could do stuff like turn off combat animations at first.

Still love this game to bits, though.

Book of Naga and Apothesis for Europe. I take it Annoy Anna has nothing else for me?

I have another 15 Fire Emblem streetpasses to work through.

Streetpass Relay has been a big boon for FE.
I'm maxed out now. Mystery Dung and its midgame team shall never streetpass anybody again (I'd love to do support emblem but I've got other game to play).

Yuripaw

Banned
It's been a few months since I've beaten this game, and haven't touched it in a while. I got $30 eshop credit, and I started to remember there was DLC for this game.

Is any of the DLC worth picking up? Not sure what there was, but is there any good story DLC, or just ones that are fun and worth playing?

It's been a few months since I've beaten this game, and haven't touched it in a while. I got $30 eshop credit, and I started to remember there was DLC for this game.

Is any of the DLC worth picking up? Not sure what there was, but is there any good story DLC, or just ones that are fun and worth playing?

I'd like an answer to this too.

hitmon

So I'm jumping back into Fire Emblem after some hiatus. Can anybody remind me which characters can get galeforce?

So far I got:
Olivia
Lissa
Maribelle
Sumia
Cordelia

So I'm jumping back into Fire Emblem after some hiatus. Can anybody remind me which characters can get galeforce?

So far I got:
Olivia
Lissa
Maribelle
Sumia
Cordelia

That's all the possible mothers besides Female MC.

Say'ri can also learn it.

The following SpotPass characters also get it:
Emmeryn and Aversa

The children of those mothers will also learn it or can inherit it as well as any daughter of the male avatar, and either Sully's, Tharja's and Nowi's daughter if they marry Donnel, Gaius or the avatar.

Top Bottom