• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Anteo

So DLC is necesary to grind? Do I need it on Hard? I don't want to support DLC, the game has enough content by itself

Try to go for a no grind run, for the classic FE experience.

Also the only games where I would not support DLC are those that do not have enough content: "so you developed a incomplete game and want me to buy extra to compelte it? nope". I really really recommend the Future Past dlc, is amazing and along with the Scramble pack they add a lot to the game.

Future Past:
In a alternate future, the parents are long dead and 12 children just got the gemstones and the Fire Emblem, but every group is in danger of being killed before getting together to perform the awakening. Just like Lucina in the main campaing traveled back to help you, now you travel to this doomed future to help the children and save their world.

Also, about future past (for those who finished the 3 chapters)
Even though the game says this future is like the worst possible future, they actually got the Gemstones unlike Lucina's future (they could not find all the gemstones). Which means Lucina and co left a completly doomed future behind while the FuturePast crew still have the chance to save theirs.

Ezalc

Question:

Is there a chapter where I should have a bunch of things done before getting to? I'm on chapter 13 and a lot of characters don't have pairings and things like that. Is that ever a worry or no? I only mention this because for example in FE4 there was a chapter where you needed to have everybody paired of before completing otherwise you would probably need to restart that chapter or maybe even the game.

ohlawd

Question:

Is there a chapter where I should have a bunch of things done before getting to? I'm on chapter 13 and a lot of characters don't have pairings and things like that. Is that ever a worry or no? I only mention this because for example in FE4 there was a chapter where you needed to have everybody paired of before completing otherwise you would probably need to restart that chapter or maybe even the game.

Nah you're all good now.

Chrom marries whoever out of his suitors have the highest affection rank after completing Chapter 11.

Oxx

I'm at the point where 95% of streetpass teams I can beat solo, and 5% teams that destroy me. No middle ground.

Still, it's to be expected at this point.

Shengar

Try to go for a no grind run, for the classic FE experience.

Also the only games where I would not support DLC are those that do not have enough content: "so you developed a incomplete game and want me to buy extra to compelte it? nope". I really really recommend the Future Past dlc, is amazing and along with the Scramble pack they add a lot to the game.

Future Past:
In a alternate future, the parents are long dead and 12 children just got the gemstones and the Fire Emblem, but every group is in danger of being killed before getting together to perform the awakening. Just like Lucina in the main campaing traveled back to help you, now you travel to this doomed future to help the children and save their world.

Also, about future past (for those who finished the 3 chapters)
Even though the game says this future is like the worst possible future, they actually got the Gemstones unlike Lucina's future (they could not find all the gemstones). Which means Lucina and co left a completly doomed future behind while the FuturePast crew still have the chance to save theirs.

The good things about FEA DLC is that many thing that felt unfinished in the core game because the development time constraint were fixed in the DLC like the generic father conversations. And the rest of them feel completely optional too.

Also about Scramble Pack, conversation between Sumia and Miriel alone worth the price.

sgt jumpy

Banned
Speaking of street pass... Can someone explain this to me? I just made a mii yesterday, and also think I've got street pass/spot set up. I made my first street pass, someone with pokemon black 2. All it did was add his mii to the mii games I can play. I just don't understand what else is supposed to be able to happen with street pass/spot. Do I need to be in sleep mode with the game running instead of the home screen?

Mephala

Speaking of street pass... Can someone explain this to me? I just made a mii yesterday, and also think I've got street pass/spot set up. I made my first street pass, someone with pokemon black 2. All it did was add his mii to the mii games I can play. I just don't understand what else is supposed to be able to happen with street pass/spot. Do I need to be in sleep mode with the game running instead of the home screen?

I can't comment on what happens in Pokemon Black 2. But generally street pass is just an exchange of information as you walk by with your 3DS in sleep mode. It doesn't matter what is suspended or whether you're on the home screen. Just make sure Wireless Connection is turned on.

In Fire Emblem, when you get a hit, you will have their Street Pass team pop up on your map. You can then parley with them just like you would some the spot pass teams you can download. I get far more hits for Mii Plaza than Fire Emblem. If I get a hit for FE, I generally also get one for Mii Plaza. I get Animal Crossing hits more often than FE too. It just means the other guy either doesn't have the game or hasn't set it up for street pass.

sgt jumpy

Banned
Thanks for the helpful reply. Also, one more question, how do you set a game up specifically for spot pass? I believe there is a limit?

Chrom

Thanks for the helpful reply. Also, one more question, how do you set a game up specifically for spot pass? I believe there is a limit?

There's no limit to how many games you can have SpotPass activated for. The method for activating it will vary from game to game, but in Awakening you do it from the main menu after the title screen.

CorvoSol

I finished my 100 hour playthrough and while that play time is embarrassingly long, I feel especially attached to the team and pairings I made this time.

That said, I think if/when I get to doing a 3rd playthrough I'm gonna marry Tiki instead of Cordelia for a change. Just because. Also I'll have to wed Donny to someone other than Maribelle so more kidlets can get that there Galeforce.

But first I still have to figure out how I'm expected to win at Apotheosis.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Generally, everyone you meet in passing will be added to the plaza no matter what games they play. These same people will then be added to your Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, SMTIV, etc. games if they've played the game and have streetpass activated. Each game treats streetpasses differently. In FE, you can fight/recruit/buy items from the people you pass. In Animal Crossing, you can visit their houses.

sgt jumpy

Banned
Generally, everyone you meet in passing will be added to the plaza no matter what games they play. These same people will then be added to your Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, SMTIV, etc. games if they've played the game and have streetpass activated. Each game treats streetpasses differently. In FE, you can fight/recruit/buy items from the people you pass. In Animal Crossing, you can visit their houses.

Thank you for the info!

AEREC

Picked this up with my 3DS XL purchase a few days ago...started on Hard/Classic. I've played Fire Emblem before on the DS and Wii but never have been able to finish them.

On chapter 4 I think (the one were you meet King Grangel?) and everyone Ive started with is dead except for Frederick, Lissa, Sumi? (pegasus knight)...this game is hard.

CorvoSol

This is why I will play on babies casual mode for ever. Being able to save and redo a round so that I lose no one is the way to live.

Anteo

Picked this up with my 3DS XL purchase a few days ago...started on Hard/Classic. I've played Fire Emblem before on the DS and Wii but never have been able to finish them.

On chapter 4 I think (the one were you meet King Grangel?) and everyone Ive started with is dead except for Frederick, Lissa, Sumi? (pegasus knight)...this game is hard.

Yeah... you may want to go for the Casual mode, it will make your life easier really.

AEREC

Yeah... you may want to go for the Casual mode, it will make your life easier really.

I still like living with the consequences though...I save over my previous save so there's no going back.

Kinda sucks because I know I'll be missing some conversations.

Kater

Banned
I haven't beaten Rogue & Redeemers yet because it is so hard. Not even my Dread Fighter Brady can beat those powerhouses. ;_;
I just broke the 370 hours mark. I mean for all my playthrough combined

I am at 440 hours with 3 playthroughs.

BUVi91qIcAAEgQI.jpg:large

Support hell (male) completed!

Gonna take an actual break from going onto support hell (female) side for the sake of my own sanity. (Though it's just all the female avatar supports and Chrom/Olivia and Sumia/Frederick and their children supports left).

Shengar

Avatar paired with anyone alone could clear the map on any difficulty that is not Lunatic+. Veteran is broken as fuck.

Gonna take an actual break from going onto support hell (female) side for the sake of my own sanity. (Though it's just all the female avatar supports and Chrom/Olivia and Sumia/Frederick and their children supports left).

What's your method? I want to complete it because my completionist self always bickered to do so but the chore always makes me to think it over.

TWILT

Banned
Almost done my no grind playthrough. I have so many other games to play, yet I always come back to this.
You just met the best male kid. Congrats.

Yup.

I don't even know how you do this without getting sick of it, haha.

You just met the best male kid. Congrats.

My sword hand twitches.

What's your method? I want to complete it because my completionist self always bickered to do so but the chore always makes me to think it over.

I only added to the time due to unnecessary grinding of everybody but generally it involves having two save slots, one your main game and the other your throw away one where you can get the point of no return supports (marriages) and everything that falls undereath it (the kids) get the supports, save so the game remembers it and start back from your main game.

It also helps to stockpile on Seeds of Trust and I found farming them from the Beach DLC map is the best way to go.

I don't even know how you do this without getting sick of it, haha.

I'll admit there were times where I got bored of it. But I guess I just powered through it!

I can tell a decent amount of research was put into creating some of the weapons in this game, particularly the superior sword, which I had no idea was based on an actual weapon:
(which is more of a dagger, but whatever)

Also, the volant axe which to me appears to be similar to the kpinga:

Earlier today one of my friends mentioned that the Armorslayer sword looks kind of like Ganondorf's Sword/Darknut Sword.

I couldn't find an exact design like this sword, although it reminded me of an Indian Khanda or a Gladiator's scissor.

That got me wondering if this is an actual sword shape from history. If anybody knows what this design of sword is called, I would appreciate that!

Edit: I found it, or at least one that looks similar --
this is called an Ikakalaka, or a type of Congolese short sword.

Shengar

I can tell a decent amount of research was put into creating some of the weapons in this game, particularly the superior sword, which I had no idea was based on an actual weapon:

I don't know if Yuusuke Kozaki responsible for doing the weapon design or just the artwook, but if it so, I can see why. The guy quite a military freak there so I don't surprise if he do some research for the weapons. Except for the imposing axe, and the joke weapons, all the wapons actually pretty functional. What I respect more of Yuusuke Kozaki's art illustration is that he get most of uniform/clothes material looks right. Like Gregor's or mecernary outfit in general, the boot and sword sheath looks like made from actual leather. It's small touches, but lovely and nice. Not all illustrator would get small detail right.

I don't know if Yuusuke Kozaki responsible for doing the weapon design or just the artwook, but if it so, I can see why. The guy quite a military freak there so I don't surprise if he do some research for the weapons. Except for the imposing axe, and the joke weapons, all the wapons actually pretty functional. What I respect more of Yuusuke Kozaki's art illustration is that he get most of uniform/clothes material looks right. Like Gregor's or mecernary outfit in general, the boot and sword sheath looks like made from actual leather. It's small touches, but lovely and nice. Not all illustrator would get small detail right.

It's even more amazing since the artbook has all of the designs in it. Right down to the weapons, the generic class armors, it is just completely detailed and lets you see how much thought went into this game.

Shengar

It's even more amazing since the artbook has all of the designs in it. Right down to the weapons, the generic class armors, it is just completely detailed and lets you see how much thought went into this game.

Yep, that certainly the best part of the artbook. Though I rather have mixed feeling with his design. Some of his stuffs are realy excellent, like Bow Knight, Mercenary, Frederick's Armor, Lucina's (great) lord outfit, and Mage. But again amidst those excellencies, we have problem with most of female unit class outfit that is not Sage, Valkyrie, War Cleric, and Great Knight....Sully. Not to mention the problem that is Nowi and Cherche. Despite all of that, the amount of details in the sprites and the design as shown in the artbook is astounding really.

KiraFA37

Thanks guys for reminding me to get the artbook. I haven't played the game for a few weeks now, after a 3 week marathon, worst part is that I still have to finish the game on that save. sogood.gif

CorvoSol

Why can't I stop playing this? I have so many other 3DS games to play, but yesterday I started my first hard run. Still casual because no I'm not going to risk losing people permanently.

Jintor

Nick has already visited Layton's world. No reason he can't go practice Law in Ylisse!

Besides, with a name like Phoenix, he'd fit right in.

CorvoSol

Nick has already visited Layton's world. No reason he can't go practice Law in Ylisse!

Don't forget that Nick has tried to sue the Dark Phoenix (and depending on the player won) and also defended Galactus in court.

Speaking of, Galactus is the main villain of that game, but Nick's only ever had one guilty client. And Nick only takes cases when he believes in the person he is defending. Therefore Galactus, the MAIN VILLAIN OF THE GAME, may in fact have been completely innocent and the entire thing is a set up.

Shengar

Why can't I stop playing this? I have so many other 3DS games to play, but yesterday I started my first hard run. Still casual because no I'm not going to risk losing people permanently.
The game have a big replayability so no wonder it makes you forgot your other 3DS game even exist.

Prosecutor Maribelle confirmed
So Phoenix first client in Ylisse is Gaius?

Anteo

The game have a big replayability so no wonder it makes you forgot your other 3DS game even exist.

Prosecutor Maribelle confirmed
So Phoenix first client in Ylisse is Gaius?

So we will finally reveal Sumia is actually as good if not better at everything than Cordelia.

Top Bottom