• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Shengar

<3 Nah might waifu her next playthrough. I didn't like Nowi much so it was a pleasant surprise to see how Nah turned out. I have her as a swordmaster in one file and a dark knight in the other. The dark knight is obviously better but she's so good and that;s without really caring about her parent stats/skills so much.

The only problem I had with Nowi it just her stupid outfit. Beside that, she really an excellent unit, though not so much as character (so far, only her support convo with Libra that surprises me).

GamerSoul

The only problem I had with Nowi it just her stupid outfit. Beside that, she really an excellent unit, though not so much as character (so far, only her support convo with Libra that surprises me).

Yea the outfit for sure lol and she's not that interesting to me but it's a matter of personally preference because there are so many interesting units to choose from. I still haven't given everyone a fair chance yet. As a unit I'll agree with you she's pretty great.

Ultimadrago

Tonics are so easy to come by and their little boosts add up. Pair up is pretty much mandatory.

Leave forged Aversa's Night to your Armsthrift Sorcerers. Otherwise, give everyone else forged Celica's Gale and Brave weapons.

Two Galeforce users per pair is nice. Kill one, switch, kill with second unit, then either kill with first or second unit or run away. Rescue works too. Have some Physic staves handy.

Hmm I never considered Tonics much before, but now that you mention it those boosts could add up considerably with Pair-Ups. Using them rather than leaving them in a corner sounds solid.

I was so happy to see her blushing to tell me in game~

Especially because I am her husbando.

Cheers to that, Thoraxbro.

In other news, 75+ hours strong and only on Chapter 18! I love fiddling in this game too much.
I think I'll get some pair to pop out another kid next. I have Morgan, Nah, Lucina, Cynthia, Kjelle, Inigo and Owain thus far. I guess onto Brady next.

Shengar

Hmm I never considered Tonics much before, but now that you mention it those boosts could add up considerably with Pair-Ups. Using them rather than leaving them in a corner sounds solid.

You will know what difference a Tonic can made if you have made trip to the hell that named Lunatic/Classic mode.

Dawg

Weapons are supposed to break. But there's a skill that Mercenaries get that can get more mileage out of a weapon. Armsthrift. It has a Luck*2 chance of not damaging a weapon with use. It is possible to hit 50 Luck with some character, making the weapon unbreakable in their hands.

Pair Up is crazy powerful. But yes, you can only use one character from the pair up per turn. So if you pair up a Knight and a Cleric and need to heal someone, the Cleric will be exposed on the enemy phase. Although with a fairly big Defense bonus from being paired with a Knight.

The higher support level, the better chance of a dual strike where they both attack, by the way. Same deal with a dual guard where the partner blocks all damage.

Weapon cannot be prevented to break. The only way you can repair a weapon is by using staff called Hammerne but that staff only two avaible in the game and while secret merchant sells it, it is pretty damn rare. Weapon also lose its durability point if your unit retaliation don't miss, which mean if they attack but deal no damage, the weapon still lose one durability, including pair-bot or pair unit. This is a sole reason why units with access to mercenary class pretty important as pair bot since you can give them legendary weapon or max-forged brave/master weapons without worry.

Well, paired unit takes action each turn as one unit which mean pairing a healer even when they are not staff-locked anymore is a bad idea. Separate takes action, switching means that the pair unit cannot take action. The only purpose you do this is too give healer extra durability. Like, for example, I Have Lissa as a main healer for early game. But she is so damned squishy and can't retaliate, so I paired her with Kellam. When the turn nearly ends and I need some healing, I wouldn't worry too much if Lissa go to the front even if there are some enemies left, (providing they wouldn't one-shot or one-round) her because the extra stats should make her can take a hit or two.

And that attacking together is called Dual Attack, which chance based though there is a formula to it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
2RwXQ43h.jpg
6y30Youh.jpg

I was so damn excited when I saw this. My girl, getting swept by her feet by the Khan! Hell yeah! Purity!

Then this happened.

tonystarefsjbb_zps88c8f275.gif

Crawling into bed and crying myself to sleep. :(

CorvoSol

Why must I be led on like this? I hate these false hopes!

Don't look at me, man. I'm still baffled that 1)
Emmeryn
has NO support conversations with Chrom or Lissa and that 2)Flavia has no conversations with
Basilio.

Still gotta waifu Tiki. Not sure who I'll hook Cordelia up with now. Probably Gregor or Stahl. They're my right hand men, after all.

Shengar

Don't look at me, man. I'm still baffled that 1)
Emmeryn
has NO support conversations with Chrom or Lissa and that 2)Flavia has no conversations with
Basilio.

Still gotta waifu Tiki. Not sure who I'll hook Cordelia up with now. Probably Gregor or Stahl. They're my right hand men, after all.

This facts is stupid and bothered ever since. I don't know why the bonus characters should have so limited support conversation options. If I have to presume it in a goodway, it is due time constraint.

jourdy

Quick question guys,

If a couple is already paired up, are those characters unable to have S relationships with other characters from then on?

I also noticed some characters take a longer time to develop relationships than others. Is that just my imagination?

Lastly, is there an artbook for FE? I love the character designs.

Anteo

Quick question guys,

If a couple is already paired up, are those characters unable to have S relationships with other characters from then on?

I also noticed some characters take a longer time to develop relationships than others. Is that just my imagination?

1) Yes
2) Dont think so, for me it always take the same amount of maps to get a S rank

Shengar

Quick question guys,

By paired up you mean married? Then yes, only one S relationship allowed for each characters. You also not imagining, some characters indeed need longer time to develop relationships with other characters. Like Chrom for instance, I remember he being the easiest to develop relationship with Olivia, though maybe that have something to do with the fact that both could only marry in Chapter 11. I believe Serene Forest try to compile these relationship data on their site.

There is an excellent Artbook for FE, but sadly Udon have yet to translate the last 100 pages of support conversation log. But still, the other 200 pages alone is still worth the price for me.The artbook name is Fire Emblem: Awakening Setting Materials: Knights of Iris. Best I recommend you cdjapan to import it.

-Horizon-

They kind of explain when you're choosing the difficulties:

Normal - for beginners to the series
Hard - for people who have played previous games in the series
Lunatic - masochists

Chrom

As already mentioned, there is the full featured Knights of Iris book, which has only been released in Japan at this point. It's a hefty, 300-some page paperback book.

In addition, there is another artbook for the game, although it's a lot more meager and inexpensive.

In North America, it was a special pre-order item for pre-ordering the game from GameStop and EB Games in the United States and Canada. I don't know if this is still the case, but I know the book eventually became a reward through GameStop's reward program and you could redeem it through their site. Nintendo of America also gave this artbook away for free to people on Twitter via a quick sweepstakes at one point.

This book was later released in Europe through pre-ordering the game at the store GAME. The only difference that I'm aware of between this version and the other is that this one is a hardback book with a different cover design than the North American one. That, and the title for the European book can be said to be Fire Emblem: Awakening - The Artbook, while you could argue that the other doesn't have one, although the game name, Fire Emblem Awakening, does appear on the cover of it.

CorvoSol

I wasn't sure whether I qualified as a beginner or an expert. I mean, I have played a few FE games before (FE7 being my favorite), but I knew absolutely nothing of Awakening and assumed that Hard (For experts, the game says on the difficulty screen) meant that I'd need to have mastered the mechanics of Awakening itself. As I said, I should have done a bit of research and this isn't really the game's fault. I just wish you could change the difficulty on the fly, but I understand why it's not possible.

Right now I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to abandon all the effort I put into it and start anew. I'm not even fucking grinding! I am literally avoiding anything that is not a main or side quest.

Normal is the way to go if you don't want to grind at all. I went through the my first normal playthrough without grinding at all. Hard on the other hand, I'm gonna grind just so I don't spend half my play time resetting (a brilliant strategist I am not.)

Anteo

I'm not grinding, so right now it feels like Normal is the way to go if you don't want to put any effort into anything and Hard if you actually want some challenge. I'm wondering whether the small size of my team has anything to do with the lack of challenge I'm experiencing, seeing as smaller teams = total exp shared between fewer people = more exp per character.

eh, i believe the higher your skill level, the less grinding is necesary, so when you are able to do lunatic, you wont grind at all (also the game does not give you any chance to grind on lunatic unless you have dlc, it basically denies grinding). I can go through hard without grinding and I went for half lunatic without grindng too, but I found it boring cause it was next to imposible to raise other characters without using the dlc (I have the dlc, i just wanted to use the main chapters to get levels to other chars like in my hard run)

CorvoSol

I'm not grinding, so right now it feels like Normal is the way to go if you don't want to put any effort into anything and Hard if you actually want some challenge. I'm wondering whether the small size of my team has anything to do with the lack of challenge I'm experiencing, seeing as smaller teams = total exp shared between fewer people = more exp per character.

I did two Normal runs and now I'm doing my first Hardmode run. I'm going to grind in that, but not nearly as much as I did in my 2nd. Just enough to get my characters the skills I want, and then I'll be good.

GamerSoul

I figure that's right, but I mean c'mon. We all know the two of them were bound for the hookup anyway.

You do have a point. lol. they could have united the whatever the heck their land is called.

that is a part of it. especially on normal a small focused team will run through most of the main stages. I have always played with smaller teams. I might have other characters as back up but I like small teams. from what I've noticed, the paralogues are the chapters that really add different goals and objectives to test your skill and ability to adapt.

CorvoSol

So out of curiousity, who are the husbands that Nowi, Sully, and Tharja require to obtain
Galeforce possibility for their daughters?

Shengar

So out of curiousity, who are the husbands that Nowi, Sully, and Tharja require to obtain
Galeforce possibility for their daughters?

Marrying them with Vaike also gives their daughter access to armsthrift, which is pretty useful skill as pair-unit as you can give them max forged Braves/Masters Weapon.

CorvoSol

MaleMU. Gaius, and Donny.

Gaius? Fuuuuuuck. Well, there's Nowi's man. I'm sorry, Nah. You get gipped again. I'll throw Yarne at you for added awful. "I'm so sorry." Only 1st gen male I like less is Henry. Bleh. Donny, though, I dunno. Donny's cool, but usually Tharja goes to my the next man down from Stahl and Gregor, but since Cordelia is open now, it's all in disarray. Oh man, Tharja and Donny, that's just weeeeird.

GamerSoul

Yeah, I enjoy using smaller teams as well. Even if the game allows me to use more characters, I usually stick to my favorites. And I'm assuming paralogues are the
side quests where you recruit the child characters
, right? Because I'm doing those now and they're pretty damn fun! Even had a few near-death moments for a few of my characters, because I was unaware that these were significantly more challenging than the main quests and started out using the usual charge-into-enemy-lines style of non-strategy I've been using throughout the main quest.

Same here, I stick to my favorites and that sadly means ignoring half the cast. lol Luckily with a little grinding you can train anybody if we wanted to like Sacred Stones. And yea those paralogues, some involving those characters, can be challenging and need a little more strategy to finish or to complete the objective. I remember even on my normal run I had some trouble with them. heh.

jourdy

By paired up you mean married? Then yes, only one S relationship allowed for each characters. You also not imagining, some characters indeed need longer time to develop relationships with other characters. Like Chrom for instance, I remember he being the easiest to develop relationship with Olivia, though maybe that have something to do with the fact that both could only marry in Chapter 11. I believe Serene Forest try to compile these relationship data on their site.

There is an excellent Artbook for FE, but sadly Udon have yet to translate the last 100 pages of support conversation log. But still, the other 200 pages alone is still worth the price for me.The artbook name is Fire Emblem: Awakening Setting Materials: Knights of Iris. Best I recommend you cdjapan to import it.

As already mentioned, there is the full featured Knights of Iris book, which has only been released in Japan at this point. It's a hefty, 300-some page paperback book.

In addition, there is another artbook for the game, although it's a lot more meager and inexpensive.

In North America, it was a special pre-order item for pre-ordering the game from GameStop and EB Games in the United States and Canada. I don't know if this is still the case, but I know the book eventually became a reward through GameStop's reward program and you could redeem it through their site. Nintendo of America also gave this artbook away for free to people on Twitter via a quick sweepstakes at one point.

This book was later released in Europe through pre-ordering the game at the store GAME. The only difference that I'm aware of between this version and the other is that this one is a hardback book with a different cover design than the North American one. That, and the title for the European book can be said to be Fire Emblem: Awakening - The Artbook, while you could argue that the other doesn't have one, although the game name, Fire Emblem Awakening, does appear on the cover of it.

Thanks for the detailed help, guys. Very much appreciated.

Now, is there any chance you would know where to buy this in Japan?
I will be going to Japan for Xmas and New Year so I was hoping on loading up on some In-Japan-only stuff. I've never been to Japan before so I am not sure if they have a store for everything video game related (including art books etc). Will be looking for the artbook and maybe plushies if there's any. Not into figurines though hehe.

I'm currently 38 hours into the game and there's still a lot of content and DLC. Probably my favorite game this year.

Shengar

Thanks for the detailed help, guys. Very much appreciated.

Now, is there any chance you would know where to buy this in Japan?
I will be going to Japan for Xmas and New Year so I was hoping on loading up on some In-Japan-only stuff. I've never been to Japan before so I am not sure if they have a store for everything video game related (including art books etc). Will be looking for the artbook and maybe plushies if there's any. Not into figurines though hehe.

I'm currently 38 hours into the game and there's still a lot of content and DLC. Probably my favorite game this year.

Well, you've gotta asked that to JapanGAF like RyougaSaotome or Parakeetman then :p
I've been only to Japan once, and that is Osaka so I don't know which specififc store that might stocked artbooks. But try big bookstore like Kinokuniya. I bet they stocked some artbooks in their retail store.

CorvoSol

Chrom x Olivia is the only acceptable royal couple. I can't even see him with Maribelle or Sully or the Villager woman. It's gotta be Olivia.

CorvoSol

You guys are crazy. Sumia is that thirsty girl who tries real hard to get with Chrom and calls him "my love" even after she's married but can never wed him. Sumia and Chrom. Please. Next you're gonna tell me Anna already has a boyfriend.

Top Bottom