• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Shengar

Yeah don't you need a fairly all round competent group to even get Tiki (adult version anyway). Though really you never need Frederick until lunatic or lunatic plus.he's more useful as a support in the earlier chapters.

If you really wanted to use Frederick wait until he gets dual guard, and then stop levelling him. Dual guard should at least help with you levelling other characters.

Unless you grind, Dual Guard is just need too many experience for Freddy to reach that level. At that point, if Frederick really indeed reach it, other units might not have the experience to perform decently in later chapter.

upandaway

If there's a side chapter and I need to keep 3 farmers alive, do I need to keep all 3? Or, um, is it fine if.. there's only one.. left.

Because I've been trying to do this for an hour now and it's pretty much impossible for me to keep all 3, at least in my current levels.

Firebrand

If there's a side chapter and I need to keep 3 farmers alive, do I need to keep all 3? Or, um, is it fine if.. there's only one.. left.

Because I've been trying to do this for an hour now and it's pretty much impossible for me to keep all 3, at least in my current levels.
I got two rewards (plus the village one) for keeping just one alive, gave up after 4 tries. I think the only thing you're missing out on is a joke item, but I could be wrong.

Question regarding S-rank relationships, I'd appreciate if you could keep it as spoiler-free as possible (spoilers up to just before chapter 12):
There just was a two-year time skip and Chrom had a baby. Is it too late now for everyone else to have kids? I reached S-rank with my main character and another unit in the chapter 11 battle. Should I reload and grind out the S-rank first? Aside from one other couple I think the others require too much effort for me to grind that much, unless Donnel and Kellam wanna get it on... Haven't really used any master seals yet either.

You're only missing one joke item reward between 1 and 3 villagers saved. I gave up on trying to save more than one after 4 tries, not worth it. :p Just make sure you get that 1 villager and visit the village.

I got two rewards (plus the village one) for keeping just one alive, gave up after 4 tries. I think the only thing you're missing out on is a joke item, but I could be wrong.

Question regarding S-rank relationships, I'd appreciate if you could keep it as spoiler-free as possible (spoilers up to just before chapter 12):
There just was a two-year time skip and Chrom had a baby. Is it too late now for everyone else to have kids? I reached S-rank with my main character and another unit in the chapter 11 battle. Should I reload and grind out the S-rank first? Aside from one other couple I think the others require too much effort for me to grind that much, unless Donnel and Kellam wanna get it on... Haven't really used any master seals yet either.

nah the others can marry whenever, it's only Chrom

Anteo

Anyone mind helping me with this post from last page?

There is only one pack related to story;

- Future Past: Tells the story of an alternate outrealm. 3 chapters long (you use your regular group of characters. you are basically a visitor to this universe)

You also have this pack with some stuff that adds to the game

- Scramble Pack. Extra converstation between characters

Everything else is either fan service, extra skills/classes, cheat maps (gold exp weapons) or challenge maps

Challenge Pack: 3 hard stages
Aphosteosis: A ultra hard stage that is always in lunatic + dificulty,

Thank you very much, so the fan service stuff is any good?

No, its fanservice for players that know heroes from the eariler games, as we get some battles between cast of different games and some interaction between them. Sadly it is kind of repetitive (A + you vs B, then B + you vs A then A+B vs you) and the characters have little to no conv with the main cast. so avoid it unless you either want the stages with the new skills/classes for the harder stages.

upandaway

Wait what wait wait what what wait what there's a choice I have to choose there's a choice why I'M FREAKING OUT WHAT DO I CHOOSE WHY IS THERE A CHOICE HELP

Firebrand

So... master seals. I'm playing on Normal - should I still wait until level 20 to use master seals? And why?

Chrom / Avatar reached level 20 and I promoted them, but most other classes are a long way off and it'd be nice to have some new skills for them.

And oh, does every class have 2 skills so I know it's "safe" to promote without looking classes up on wikis?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So... master seals. I'm playing on Normal - should I still wait until level 20 to use master seals? And why?

Chrom / Avatar reached level 20 and I promoted them, but most other classes are a long way off and it'd be nice to have some new skills for them.

It's best to wait til 20 to promote the first time around due to the way the internal Exp calculator goes off of. The internal calculator doesn't care if you were 15 or 20, it'll treat your exp gain as a level 1 promoted class the same.

An unpromoted class will earn those last few levels way easier, so unless your stats are already green, you might as well wait.

Once you can reclass with second seals, go ahead and do it at Promote level 10 (if you're on normal, like you said). The internal 'cap' stops at level 30 (20 regular and 10 promoted) for normal, iirc, and that's the rate at which you get xp for the rest of the game.

*I think, It's been a while since I looked at Serenes.

And oh, does every class have 2 skills so I know it's "safe" to promote without looking classes up on wikis?

Yep, two skills per.

Firebrand

Cheers, I'll try and get everyone up to 20 then. I'm at chapter 12 or 13, just worried I'd go the entire game without promoting anyone, hehe, been a while since I saw some new skills pop up.

Heysoos

Hm. Most of my characters are falling behind in levels, is there any way to grind or do I just keep going? I'm afraid of them falling behind even further and it biting me in the ass as I progress. My MC is level 18, Chrom is 14 and Lissa is 10, but everyone else is under 10.

Also, what's the best way to use support? I used Sumia as support for my main character, and it advanced her support level to A pretty quickly, but I probably misused that and now she's only level 5 lol.

Also for reference, in case it matter, I'm barely going to chapter 9.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hm. Most of my characters are falling behind in levels, is there any way to grind or do I just keep going? I'm afraid of them falling behind even further and it biting me in the ass as I progress. My MC is level 18, Chrom is 14 and Lissa is 10, but everyone else is under 10.

Also, what's the best way to use support? I used Sumia as support for my main character, and it advanced her support level to A pretty quickly, but I probably misused that and now she's only level 5 lol.

Also for reference, in case it matter, I'm barely going to chapter 9.

Grinding is either done through time-interval-risen spawns, or through DLC, be it paid, or spotpass 'bonus teams' from other Fire Emblem games.

Support is used like what you're doing, but FYI, getting an S-rank will lock you with that character for marriage, in case you weren't aware. Without spoiling anything, this will have (small) repurcussions on what happens later on.

If you spread out the supports through all your characters, then arrange them in a plus formation or the like, the support bonuses will 'stack' the bonuses received all the way up to a potential 12. (Each Rank C,B,A,S from an adjacent character counts as one rank)

It's best to wait til 20 to promote the first time around due to the way the internal Exp calculator goes off of. The internal calculator doesn't care if you were 15 or 20, it'll treat your exp gain as a level 1 promoted class the same.

An unpromoted class will earn those last few levels way easier, so unless your stats are already green, you might as well wait.

Once you can reclass with second seals, go ahead and do it at Promote level 10 (if you're on normal, like you said). The internal 'cap' stops at level 30 (20 regular and 10 promoted) for normal, iirc, and that's the rate at which you get xp for the rest of the game.

*I think, It's been a while since I looked at Serenes.

Yep, two skills per.

internal cap is 20 on normal, 30 on hard, 50 on lunatic(+)
there is no difference with unpromoted/promoted levels on the cap

upandaway

Didn't know levels were a thing with promotions. I'm kinda confused now. If I'm on Hard, I shouldn't promote until I'm level 30? And then re-class at promoted level 30 again? Because that seems kinda far, my highest is 16 right now and I already have a couple of Master Seals.

Oh man I'm also clueless with all the support/marriage stuff. I never even pair them up in battle. Overwhelmed!

Didn't know levels were a thing with promotions. I'm kinda confused now. If I'm on Hard, I shouldn't promote until I'm level 30? And then re-class at promoted level 30 again? Because that seems kinda far, my highest is 16 right now and I already have a couple of Master Seals.

Oh man I'm also clueless with all the support/marriage stuff. I never even pair them up in battle. Overwhelmed!

what
you can't even reach level 30 on most classes, and the ones that can don't have promotions :lol

the internal level cap is basically used for calculating exp gains for your units, this portion only increases when you use a second seal
there's a writeup on Serenes Forest somewhere

upandaway

Alright I more or less get it, thanks. The only benefit of promoted classes is additional weapons and skills? And if you re-class afterwards, you can't wield those weapons anymore?

edit: and stat changes, I guess, but if they decrease due to re-calculation I'm not sure how much of a benefit that is

Alright I more or less get it, thanks. The only benefit of promoted classes is additional weapons and skills? And if you re-class afterwards, you can't wield those weapons anymore?

much higher stat caps too for promoted classes (and you don't actually get more weapons, but you do get better skills)

and what weapons you can wield is determined by class, so if you were to reclass from Grandmaster to Dark Knight or something you would keep both swords and tomes

upandaway

Things have let up a bit in difficulty ever since chapter 7 or so (I'm in 13), or maybe it's just the increase in options. Hmm... still doesn't make me wanna go classic though.

Tenki

A question about the end of the game. MASSIVE SPOILER:

When you wake up from the death (I chose to kill Grima myself, so I supposedly died) Chrom and Lissa are there to welcome you. Why doesn't Chrom have the Mark of the Exalt on his eye?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

When you wake up from the death (I chose to kill Grima myself, so I supposedly died) Chrom and Lissa are there to welcome you. Why doesn't Chrom have the Mark of the Exalt on his eye?

Where you even paying attention. Chrom doesn't have the mark of the Exalt on his eye he has it on his arm Lucina has it on her eye. Both Chrom and Owain have it on their arms.

Anteo

Shoulder

upandaway

Frederick's transformation is miraculous. Nothing I do can keep him alive through the first enemy turn. He's not really underleveled or anything, and he used to be invincible. It's incredible.

upandaway

did you actually level him up
He's level 17 which is higher than any of my other promoted classes (those that started promoted are around 14 and those that I promoted are around 10). He's been killing enemies as much as everyone else up until a couple of chapters ago when he suddenly started exploding just by thinking about getting attacked.

Fjordson

Just had to post in here and say that this game is really great. First ever Fire Emblem game and I love it.

Frederick's transformation is miraculous. Nothing I do can keep him alive through the first enemy turn. He's not really underleveled or anything, and he used to be invincible. It's incredible.
Happened to me also. I mean not quite first enemy turn death bad, but he's a farcry from the killing machine he was.

Friend of mine warned me that he would take a dive, though, so I was prepared for it. Tried to not lean on him too much early on.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
He's level 17 which is higher than any of my other promoted classes (those that started promoted are around 14 and those that I promoted are around 10). He's been killing enemies as much as everyone else up until a couple of chapters ago when he suddenly started exploding just by thinking about getting attacked.

What difficulty you playing him on? Are there any hammers, armour or beast slaying weapons on enemies etc ? Do you keep him on one single weapon?

The thing with with great knights is that they have a lot of counters, and if you don't use the weapon triangle which is their primary advantage over their enemies (they can use all 3), even that can become a weakness (as with most units).

None of this really matters on normal or even hard except maybe the very end but it most definitely matters on lunatic and lunatic plus, because even a slight advantage will get your unit killed. Then there's some of the more nasty abilities and the fact your just positioning him on bad places. (Check the attack ranges of all surrounding enemies how strong they are and if they counter any units). As you know they always attack the weaknest so if a weak unit is in the attack range of many it's generally dead if the enemy is around your top or mid end level.

On hard his effectiveness will drop off but he's most certainly useable. Also if you wanted to use him you really should have reclassed him to allow his stats to the reach the point of your other units. There's plenty of points to level him on hard (lunatic not so much). He's not a permantly useless unit and he has good stat gains, but if you want to continue to use him reclass him at most at 15 (you gain nothing leving him further).

upandaway

I'm on Hard and I only use lances on him. Doesn't really matter though, because for some reason all the enemies gang up on him, ignoring even MC. This always happened, but where in the past he could take the beating for the whole chapter, now 2~3 attacks are enough to kill him, and he can only really kill mages in one hit. If he can't take the heat in the front line then I dunno what to do with him, I guess I could reclass but I kinda got used to sacrificing him for some peace in the first turn.

Speed has become the key stat ever since chapter 10 or so. Gaius, Lon'qu, Anna etc are all monsters. Even Kellam who was still a tank up until the mid 10's chapters is getting crippled too fast to be useful, the only ones that are still bulky are the dragons.

I haven't looked into what ya'll are doing in lunatic, so I might be completely wrong, but the kind of strategy I'm seeing is the most viable is just to maximize the amount of luck based variables. Encounter-winning effects have such a high chance of happening that as long as I aim to have as much as possible in play, it's almost guaranteed. That means tanks are everything but useless.
Though I've been ignoring the weapon advantage triangle for the whole game, I guess that would make a difference, haha. Hard/Newcomer is still easy enough that I don't have to think about it.

My core strategy right now is
- Pair Chrom & Lucina, MC & Anna
- Find a tight spot to set up formation in
- Put Kellam and Frederick at checkpoints (usually the previous step can take another turn)
- Move in formation while killing everything during enemy turns in counters

Anteo

It seems that not only the game catched up to him, but he got a little rng screwed too. Compare his stats with other allies, Im pretty sure Chrom is supposed to catch up with his starting stats at level 8-10 for example.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm on Hard and I only use lances on him. Doesn't really matter though, because for some reason all the enemies gang up on him, ignoring even MC. This always happened, but where in the past he could take the beating for the whole chapter, now 2~3 attacks are enough to kill him, and he can only really kill mages in one hit. If he can't take the heat in the front line then I dunno what to do with him, I guess I could reclass but I kinda got used to sacrificing him for some peace in the first turn.

Speed has become the key stat ever since chapter 10 or so. Gaius, Lon'qu, Anna etc are all monsters. Even Kellam who was still a tank up until the mid 10's chapters is getting crippled too fast to be useful, the only ones that are still bulky are the dragons.

I haven't looked into what ya'll are doing in lunatic, so I might be completely wrong, but the kind of strategy I'm seeing is the most viable is just to maximize the amount of luck based variables. Encounter-winning effects have such a high chance of happening that as long as I aim to have as much as possible in play, it's almost guaranteed. That means tanks are everything but useless.
Though I've been ignoring the weapon advantage triangle for the whole game, I guess that would make a difference, haha. Hard/Newcomer is still easy enough that I don't have to think about it.

My core strategy right now is
- Pair Chrom & Lucina, MC & Anna
- Find a tight spot to set up formation in
- Put Kellam and Frederick at checkpoints (usually the previous step can take another turn)
- Move in formation while killing everything during enemy turns in counters

I'm not certain but I think Dual strike+ remains at a 10 per cent increase even if both have it so I'm not sure Chrom and Lucina are the best pair (Dual strike becomes very important in the harder modes because it ignores most skill effects specifically attack reducing one which proc far more consistently in lunatic).

Unless your on lunatic plus+ (which introduces more a random element), tanking is a very good early game strategy, End game is all about offense so you use the x button to show enemy attack ranges and before you put or leave any or leave any units in an enemy attack range check their hit chances and numbers and rough total damage they can inflict on that unit.

Offense tends to become a much useful in later stages because of health absorbing skills and weapons and many units having access to vantage.

Luck actually isn't all that good on hard, outside of specific skills. Speed contribute more to your avoid chances (twice as much) and on hard you hit chances are almost always 100% or near to it (skill also contributes to hit as well so it's not needed for that anyway). That and weapon triangle contribute more to hit and dodge chances anyway.

On lunatic it becomes more useful as, early game each enemy attack is very painful and your attack aren't certain to hit, it also has one of greatest stat increases when chosen as your asset (still leaves you vulnerable to double attacks so speed is still all around better).

Still as rough overall advice I'd give for the game very carefully and in detail know your enemy (check they weapons, skills, health and positioning, never leave your weakest unit in enemy range unless your purposefully sacrifice them, and a good offence end game is better than defence
Good lord Grima on lunatic you need to kill him in 2 turns and the guy has insane defence and defensive skills that almost always proc, so you must sacrifice everything for offense and speed

ohlawd

Dual Strike+ doesn't stack. And if anyone else is wondering, Dual Strike/Guard/Support work for the lead even if it's equipped by the backup unit.

what difficulty
....and just how many units are you even using, really

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oh man, I was in thread on gamefaq's and the guy was asking about if his stats were good enough to complete chapter 2 on L+ since he was worried his asset/flaws and stat growths were too poor. And one the responses was "pick a god and pray".

I don't know why but I was like damn.... and started laughing. I don't even know why I laughed (probably played the game too much) but it was genius.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm still early on, but Frederick seems like a beast compared to everyone else. Is he overleveled or something, he gained a level from 1 to 2 like everyone else but he's clearly stronger.

I can now choose who to take into battle, should I leave him out and level up everyone else or keep taking him to make it easy on myself? I'm playing normal with perma death

Fjordson

I'm still early on, but Frederick seems like a beast compared to everyone else. Is he overleveled or something, he gained a level from 1 to 2 like everyone else but he's clearly stronger.
He starts the game as a promoted unit so he has a leg up on all your other characters. He's unstoppable in the beginning, but his effectiveness drops off quite a bit later in the game. At least in my experience.

I kept him in my party as a sort of insurance in case I was ever in a really bad situation, but I made sure not to lean on him too much so that I could develop my other troops (some of whom are now way, way better than Frederick despite them being of a similar level).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He starts the game as a promoted unit so he has a leg up on all your other characters. He's unstoppable in the beginning, but his effectiveness drops off quite a bit later in the game. At least in my experience.

I kept him in my party as a sort of insurance in case I was ever in a really bad situation, but I made sure not to lean on him too much so that I could develop my other troops (some of whom are now way, way better than Frederick despite them being of a similar level).

I left him out and beat the level, having some real close calls tho, even on normal. I need like 1 more healer I think. Seems like side quests / stories opened up now, and also stores.

Oh and I liked the dude that you needed to talk mid battle to to actually use, I didn't understand what was going on at first lol

I've finally started to play this game, I'm about 20 hours in and I've dedicated the last hours to make Olivia a beast.

67Nul.jpg

I don't even know what else I can do to make her a better dancer. Most of my other characters aren't even promoted and Olivia already has 80hp and max stats haha.

Fjordson

I've finally started to play this game, I'm about 20 hours in and I've dedicated the last hours to make Olivia a beast.

I don't even know what else I can do to make her a better dancer. Most of my other characters aren't even promoted and Olivia already has 80hp and max stats haha.
Damn, nice.

How did you do that exactly? I'm at a point in the game where I can't use weak or under leveled characters much because they'll get owned. Is there a way to grind outside of story missions and paralogues?

Might be a dumb question, but this is my first FE game =[

Top Bottom