• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Soriku

So guys, I've been wanting to get into this game for the 10th time, I don't know why but I always reach chapter 7-8 and stop.

I was thinking that upping up the difficulty might help, is "hard/classic" really difficult? Normal was stupidly easy but I don't want unfair difficulty.

It's tough at first but gets manageable. Though for the most part I find that it's better to just roll in each with a few elite soldiers rather than the maximum number of units. That way you limit the number of resets. Plus as you go through more chapters, it gets harder to build up the units who've been lagging behind. For grinding purposes, just fight the lower level Bonus Box teams.

Shengar

So guys, I've been wanting to get into this game for the 10th time, I don't know why but I always reach chapter 7-8 and stop.

I was thinking that upping up the difficulty might help, is "hard/classic" really difficult? Normal was stupidly easy but I don't want unfair difficulty.

Hard is very fair. The game is manageable with the right strategy. Now unit placement matter, and you must actually calculate enemy next move in their phase. Its quite tough at first, but it doesn't continue like that for the rest of the game.

Anteo

The first few chapters are rough but like most fire emblem games you can just break the game by focusing the exp into 2-3 chars and in this particular game by grinding outside the main chapters.

If you are finding it too easy you can try the following:

- Dont grind outside main chapters and paralogues.
- Use as many characters as you can per chapter

NeonZ

Yesterday I streetpassed someone for the first time. I got his Mii in the plaza, but no game data at all (for Fire Emblem or any other game). Wasn't the game supposed to create a random team if the player streetpasses someone without FE data though?

Yesterday I streetpassed someone for the first time. I got his Mii in the plaza, but no game data at all (for Fire Emblem or any other game). Wasn't the game supposed to create a random team if the player streetpasses someone without FE data though?

Not always, it seems. Maybe 50/50.

Astarte

This is my handheld GOTY. I absolutely love it, and I'm looking forward to going back through the other Fire Emblems. Looking on different forums and seeing people tell that I "did my kids wrong" is disheartening though :[

I can't stop listening to "Don't Speak Her Name." That track is so ridiculously good. It made me play way more recklessly than I normally do because it just inspires you to rush across the battlefield and fuck shit up.

Moonlight

Banned
This is my handheld GOTY. I absolutely love it, and I'm looking forward to going back through the other Fire Emblems. Looking on different forums and seeing people tell that I "did my kids wrong" is disheartening though :[
You literally cannot go wrong in FE, don't worry about it. I always tell people to go for pairings they like best versus 'best' pairings for the first run-through.

ohlawd

meh who cares if it's your 1st run. We always tell people here to enjoy their 1st run by pairing up whoever.

Out of both OTs, I only recall one person who insisted on a perfect run on their 1st playthrough because they weren't planning a 2nd run.

NeonZ

I started playing this on hard classic and it is kicking my ass. I don't want to abuse Frederick, but am I supposed to?

You shouldn't really need him on hard classic (He's necessary for the early chapters in Lunatic though). If you really need it, just use him as a pair up partner to boost another unit's stats. In fact, that's a very important thing - you should keep all of your units in paired up all the time. There are only a few missions where you'll need to spread them if you want to accomplish optional objectives, but, for combat, pair up is superior almost all the time.

You shouldn't really need him on hard classic (He's necessary for the early chapters in Lunatic though). If you really need it, just use him as a pair up partner to boost another unit's stats. In fact, that's a very important thing - you should keep all of your units in paired up all the time. There are only a few missions where you'll need to spread them if you want to accomplish optional objectives, but, for combat, pair up is superior almost all the time.
But then some of them will get little experience. :/

Draxal

I started playing this on hard classic and it is kicking my ass. I don't want to abuse Frederick, but am I supposed to?

It's pretty much abuse Chrom and the avatar show; although you don't need to do it.

The important thing to note is that the first 9 (4-6 being the hardest) chapters are the hardest and the difficulty tapers off.

RedSwirl

Wait, so Chrom
marrires Sumia by default? Didn't realize this. I remember reading a 4chan post about this guy who wanted his avatar to marry Tharja, but then he got NTR'd by Chrom.
Does this happen for any other characters? I just finished chapter 11 and haven't been doing a lot of support stuff at all really. I've really just been focusing on combat effectiveness in the here and now while letting pieces fall where they may.

Draxal

Wait, so Chrom
marrires Sumia by default? Didn't realize this. I remember reading a 4chan post about this guy who wanted his avatar to marry Tharja, but then he got NTR'd by Chrom.
Does this happen for any other characters?

It's not by default, he can marry one of these 5 playable chars Sumia/Maribelle/Sully/Olivia (getting these two married is a real pita)/Femmu or the village girl if those 5 aren't available. Game really suggests Sumia/Chrom (opening cutscene plus some of the ingame cutscenes) as Sumia/Chrom makes for a decent Lucina/Cynthia as a default option. Best pairing for Femmu is Chrom if your playing Femmu, best pairing for Chrom for malemu is Olivia but Sumia/Maribelle are almost as good. Sully's the worst option due to lack of galeforce.

actually, I think if Chrom has no support points with any of his marriage candidates the game actually defaults to Olivia
not sure though
Aveyn Knight confirm pls

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wait, so Chrom
Does this happen for any other characters?

Wait I don't think Chrom can even marry Tharja at the very least not automatically. Sully, Maribelle, female avatar, Sumia and Olivia are potential partners he will automatically marry if they aren't dead or already married if they are (or he hasn't supported them, like at all) (not neccesarily up to C rank) he'll marry a nameless village maiden.

There's a ranking of who gets preference in marriage, and like you guessed Sumia's first.

Anyway trying to do Grima on lunatic and the guys freaking kicking my ass. You need to kill him in like 2 turns or at least a significant amount of damage because random enemies physic heals him. My Chrom is fairly crappy, and lucina not much better which is bitting me in the ass. I have a near max stat marth with exalted, but without a crit my dps just isn't there. Not sure what to do.

Draxal

actually, I think if Chrom has no support points with any of his marriage candidates the game actually defaults to Olivia
not sure though
Aveyn Knight confirm pls

It defaults in the order that I posted, it's why getting Olivia/Chrom is a pain as you have to separate him from the other females or get them hitched/deaded before hand.

RedSwirl

It's not by default, he can marry one of these 5 playable chars Sumia/Maribelle/Sully/Olivia (getting these two married is a real pita)/Femmu or the village girl if those 5 aren't available. Game really suggests Sumia/Chrom (opening cutscene plus some of the ingame cutscenes) as Sumia/Chrom makes for a decent Lucina/Cynthia as a default option. Best pairing for Femmu is Chrom if your playing Femmu, best pairing for Chrom for malemu is Olivia but Sumia/Maribelle are almost as good. Sully's the worst option due to lack of galeforce.

Wow. I don't remember using Sumia in battle at all. Must've been a chapter where she automatically showed up. She certainly had the least points with Chrom out of the five girls. Sully was already married to Virion. Then I wonder how that one dude accidentally had Chrom marry Tharja.

It defaults in the order that I posted, it's why getting Olivia/Chrom is a pain as you have to separate him from the other females or get them hitched/deaded before hand.

no I remember reading this, I believe the priority is different when nobody has any support points

Draxal

no I remember reading this, I believe the priority is different when nobody has any support points

Hmm, seems like you are right, from Aveyn's site.

Due to plot reasons, if Chrom isn't married by the end of Chapter 11, he will automatically marry the female character (Lissa excluded) whom he shares the highest support level with (A > B > C > none).

Special case 1: If Chrom has obtained at least 18 points with Olivia (after rounding to the nearest 9) and hasn't obtained a C support level with any of his other marriage candidates, he will marry Olivia.

Special case 2: If Chrom hasn't gained at least 9 points (after rounding) with any of his candidate and/or if all of his candidates are married to other men, he will marry a nameless village maiden.

In the case of equal support levels (and if neither of the special cases apply), Chrom will marry the candidate with the least support points required for the next support level (after rounding).

Points required for each support level: [Click to show]

Finally, in the case of equal support points (and, again, if neither of the special cases apply), the priority goes: Sumia > Sully > Maribelle > Avatar > Olivia.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm going through my second playthrough right now and keeping Chrom away from all the females aside from Lissa is a pain. 18 points with Olivia in pretty much one mission (no grinding) is gonna be rough.

ohlawd

I'm going through my second playthrough right now and keeping Chrom away from all the females aside from Lissa is a pain. 18 points with Olivia in pretty much one mission (no grinding) is gonna be rough.

The mission you get Olivia in isn't tough for grinding hearts. Let Olivia and Chrom stay behind at the start and have her dance her ass off in front of Chrom's face.

Before that tho yeah watch out. Gotta separate Sumia from Chrom first thing, minimize healing from Maribelle, no one uses Sully so you're good there and Avatar isn't a problem if you're playing as a dude.

Everyone plays Fire Emblem "wrong" their first time through. I look back at how I played FE7 and I realize how much of an idiot I was. You'll get better, don't worry.

Anteo

The mission you get Olivia in isn't tough for grinding hearts. Let Olivia and Chrom stay behind at the start and have her dance her ass off in front of Chrom's face.

Before that tho yeah watch out. Gotta separate Sumia from Chrom first thing, minimize healing from Maribelle, no one uses Sully so you're good there and Avatar isn't a problem if you're playing as a dude.

But why would anyone use Maribelle?
=P

CBTech

Got this game for Christmas and I'm excited to finally play it, especially after just finishing FE: The Binding Blade the other day.

I want to remain spoiler free but I have a couple of questions going in.
1. Is there a "True" ending to the game that I need to meet certain conditions to obtain? For example, in FE6 you had to do get all 9 divine weapons and keep Fa alive to play the last 3 chapters of the game.
2. Are there any characters you guys think are necessary to level? Characters that you are forced to bring into difficult levels, etc. My example is that I think Mist is necessary to level in PoR since you have to have her during your battle with the Black Knight and if you didn't level her you will most likely "lose" the chapter.

Draxal

Got this game for Christmas and I'm excited to finally play it, especially after just finishing FE: The Binding Blade the other day.

1. Is there a "True" ending to the game that I need to meet certain conditions to obtain? For example, in FE6 you had to do get all 9 divine weapons and keep Fa alive to play the last 3 chapters of the game.
2. Are there any characters you guys think are necessary to level? Characters that you are forced to bring into difficult levels, etc. My example is that I think Mist is necessary to level in PoR since you have to have her during your battle with the Black Knight and if you didn't level her you will most likely "lose" the chapter.

1. Nope, there's two options for the final battle, but it lets you replay the final battle.
2. This game does have a child system, so in order to see some of the side/gaiden maps you will have to use almost the entire first gen to see them. Other than that, the only chars you want to keep kinda high are the lords as they do alot damage to the final boss.

Anteo

smh.

She's a princess-type complete with drill hair and voiced by Melissa Fahn. One of the best females in FEA, EASY.

SMH.

Come on, I'm just joking. The only character that should never see the batlefield is Frederick

1. Nope.
2. Just like Sacred Stones, there are random battles that you can use to train characters.

huh what

CBTech

It has been a while since I played PoR so I might be getting the scenario a little wrong. But I remember a chapter where
it is just Ike and Mist. Ike fights the Black Knight and Mist is supposed to heal. Reinforcements come and focus on Mist. Since I didn't level mist she got destroyed by the reinforcements. The only thing this chapter determined was which dragon laguz you get. Still I regret not leveling Mist.

Correct me if I am wrong but that is the thought that made me ask the question

Anteo

Clearly you haven't played lunatic or lunatic+ the first 3 chapters practically require his useage or reliance on some insane rng

Of course I have played lunatic, I was talking more from a new player perspective. Also even in that mode he needs to do his thing for 3-4 chapters and never see battle again. lus there is that water trick so you dont have to use him in the mayority of the first stage anyways

Dude. Get her up to level 10 in the early chapters and with BEXP, promote her, that'll send her Staff rank right to C so you can give her a Physic staff. If you're lucky with Ike she might not even see any action. You don't actually need to train her. I never have.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Of course I have played lunatic, I was talking more from a new player perspective. Also even in that mode he needs to do his thing for 3-4 chapters and never see battle again. lus there is that water trick so you dont have to use him in the mayority of the first stage anyways

Then state your talking about new players and don't talk in absolutes. I had guessed you had played, but Frederick and characters like him do serve their purpose, they're not entirely useless like you were implying. The early stages of lunatic are balanced around you using Frederick. Even outside those chapters he's a decent early game support character.

GamerSoul

We can talk shit about Sully but don't even joke around with Maribelle. This is some serious business shit right here :p

yay
SULLY SUX, COME AT ME BROS

:lol

Man what is this nonsense that I am reading right now??

Tumblr_lgflo4FwF21qa8kv4.gif

Sully's so good, she don't need no galeforce. If she had it Lunatic+ would be called Sully Easy Mode. :p Pegasi can't handle that fire anyways. Whoo needs staves and magic? psh not Sullykins. The only time she picks up a book is when she needs to smack some sense into fools.

I'm done now... lol

Firebrand

Ugh. Just started the game and I can't decide whether to keep on playing on Casual or start over on Classic. On Classic I'd probably just start over everytime I lose a unit anyway. :p "Lost" a few units early before I understood the mechanics of weaknesses (I didn't take the warning about archers against pegasus seriously enough!), the weapon triangle etc, but I feel a bit dirty for having completed the a couple of maps with losses that don't matter afterwards.

Might just do Casual on first run, seems like a game I'd like to replay anyway.

GamerSoul

Tell me what's worse than a Sully fan.

A fakeass Sully fan. You're straight trippin', dawg. Smoked so much you're tripping balls with the clouds.

yeah I'm done too. I like Sully tho.

I chuckle'd. :0 well I didn't get much sleep yesterday but Sully is one of my favorites FE characters in general so no fake here. Lol. Because of that, I still haven't really used Stahl and never gave him a fair chance. Lol I will admit though Maribelle has grown on me when I actually gave her a chance.

Top Bottom