• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Damn, nice.

How did you do that exactly? I'm at a point in the game where I can't use weak or under leveled characters much because they'll get owned. Is there a way to grind outside of story missions and paralogues?

Might be a dumb question, but this is my first FE game =[

you can buy an item that lets you fight against some enemies and you can also fight against spotpass teams as much as you want.

demidar

I've finally started to play this game, I'm about 20 hours in and I've dedicated the last hours to make Olivia a beast.

I don't even know what else I can do to make her a better dancer. Most of my other characters aren't even promoted and Olivia already has 80hp and max stats haha.

Astra, Fatality, Swordfaire AND Galeforce.

Jesus.

I also wanted to add that Donnel is amazing, he's Nah's dad so every level up looks like this:

67P1K.jpg

Astra, Fatality, Swordfaire AND Galeforce.

Jesus.

They've made it pretty easy to be OP in this game, haha.

Fjordson

you can buy an item that lets you fight against some enemies and you can also fight against spotpass teams as much as you want.
Oh wow, totally forgot about that item, I actually got one earlier in the game. The reeking box I think it's called. And I didn't actually know about the spotpass feature :lol thanks!

FSLink

Banned
Oh wow, totally forgot about that item, I actually got one earlier in the game. The reeking box I think it's called. And I didn't actually know about the spotpass feature :lol thanks!

Just remember that on difficulties above Normal, Reeking Boxes aren't a great way to grind because of how expensive they are.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And Bonus Teams are pointless on Lunatic. 1 xp per kill and every enemy has wtf high stats with good equips.

Not pointless, they just provide crap xp. The units are still useful for filling out your team if some fall behind. e.g somehow lucina ended fairly crap on my lunatic run so I gave parallel to Marth (who can also use exalted), and used him to help beat Grima. Also easiest way to lolsferatu sorcerers for your team, which help at lot with some of the end game paralogues if you lack dlc etc.

upandaway

what difficulty
....and just how many units are you even using, really
Here's the party I've been using (
for the most recent chapters, replace Frederick and Kellam with Basilio and Flavia, though they're not much better
)

Anyway at chapter 25 now, freaking reinforcements came from inside my formation in the back line haha. I knew it was over for me the second it happened. I tried to use an expanding formation as it's perfect for that map, but I guess they saw that coming.

I had a game over in 23 after a long while without one, and I felt like I was starting to eat it for ignoring relationships and skill layering, but then I organized my inventory/held items and rocked the chapter with only one death (Frederick just rushed out of the formation on his own, I swear it's not me!), so I guess relationships really aren't needed in Hard. If it's making the game harder for me, then I welcome it, because in-chapter it's just the right difficulty right now.

By the way Nowi, Panne and Tiki are all leveling up like crazy. They level up pretty much for every other enemy they kill, and they're all around internal level 40. The dragons are as bulky as Frederick was in the first few chapters, it's insane.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The RNG on Lunatic plus is bullshit, literally bullshit. I attempt to kill the hammer barbarian with Frederick. He has no certain hit abilities only Vantage+ and non offensive passivse I 've tried well over hundred times on the scenario since I'm playing newcomer with the save functionality. On a 70% hit rates he's hit evey times sin my well over 100 attempts.

That is some bullshit statistics. There is no need for that. No need what so ever.

GamerSoul

The RNG on Lunatic plus is bullshit, literally bullshit. I attempt to kill the hammer barbarian with Frederick. He has no certain hit abilities only Vantage+ and non offensive passivse I 've tried well over hundred times on the scenario since I'm playing newcomer with the save functionality. On a 70% hit rates he's hit evey times sin my well over 100 attempts.

That is some bullshit statistics. There is no need for that. No need what so ever.

Agreed! That freaking barbarian with hammer can one shot fred so it all comes down to whether he hits or misses you. :/ it is plain ridiculous. I managed to beat it but I lost virion. I think I might try casual mode to the sanity I have left.

Anteo

Doesnt that mean the game is saving the rng seed and status meaning the same move will result in the same outcome?

ohlawd

Not pointless, they just provide crap xp. The units are still useful for filling out your team if some fall behind. e.g somehow lucina ended fairly crap on my lunatic run so I gave parallel to Marth (who can also use exalted), and used him to help beat Grima. Also easiest way to lolsferatu sorcerers for your team, which help at lot with some of the end game paralogues if you lack dlc etc.

That sounds pointless to me. And I was speaking from the exp perspective.

They're great for items obviously like stronger ranged weapons like Spears and stuff.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Doesnt that mean the game is saving the rng seed and status meaning the same move will result in the same outcome?

It's not supposed to do that, He has vantage+ meaning he always hits first even if you attack him at full health. He can one shot all of your units and most combined can't or barely even kill him without fred. Considering you have 2 units that need to survive it's bad game design.

Especially when you consider the poor sods that attempt this on classic (not me ever...)

That sounds pointless to me. And I was speaking from the exp perspective.

They're great for items obviously like stronger ranged weapons like Spears and stuff.

How is it pointless it's very hard without dlc to have several high level characters on lunatic to attempt the high end paralogues with if you want to ignore them fair enough or use DLC but it's certainly not pointless.

GamerSoul

It's not supposed to do that, He has vantage+ meaning he always hits first even if you attack him at full health. He can one shot all of your units and most combined can't or barely even kill him without fred. Considering you have 2 units that need to survive it's bad game design.

Especially when you consider the poor sods that attempt this on classic (not me ever...)

heyyy :3 I want to see how far i can get. lol. Chapter 2 is not any easier so far.

congradulations, you ran the same seed over 100 times and got the same result every single time
battle saves don't reset the RNG

more like almost finish a map and then dance in a corner forever

also, Nowi failing at getting speed on a level up 9 times in a row, good job

Anteo

How is it pointless it's very hard without dlc to have several high level characters on lunatic to attempt the high end paralogues with if you want to ignore them fair enough or use DLC but it's certainly not pointless.

No you dont get it, you said you attacked with Fred, had him die and reset the game to attack again. The way rng generally works is that you have a seed (think a number, generally based on time you started the stage). The game uses this seed to generate results for the % chances, so if the hit chance is 70%, getting a number between 1-70 included means it will hit.

So what happens next is: game asks for a number, gets for example 47. is 47 less than 70? yes! then its a hit. The game also saves the state of the seed. So when you reload the same seed is loaded too. So lets say you need to run that 70% chance again because, once again, the first move you do after reloading is Fred vs that enemy, the game again gets the result as 47, the same 47 from before. 47 is less than 70? yes! and Fred is hit again

Soulhouf

Don't use the save functionality since it also pre-saves the RNG for your next action.

With that said, L+ is BS since it's based on randomly generated OP skills. Lunatic on the other hand is not.
The first chapters in Lunatic are actually very well designed. I really enjoyed the first 4 chapters in Lunatic mode than the rest of the game combined because for once, this game made me think before acting rather than brute force my way through enemies.

Damn man Olivia's sparkles and dat body got you hooked.

Are you playing in English or Japanese? Who's your waifu?

English version, and you fucking know I love Dancers.

I don't even know who to choose! I REALLY like Olivia/Tharja/Noire.
I married Tharja in game because GALEFORCE.

Beat the game last night on Normal. What a fun ride!

That Paralogue 23 was ridiculous though. No one in my party was apparently ready except for my MC who was a sorceror with Vantage, Wrath, Vengeance, Ignis, and Armsthrift. Pretty much had to take on the entire enemy himself! xS

wow, normal mode enemy stats are really terrible
I already catalogued the stats and everything, but while actually splitting exp among every single unit AND not using any seals it's still a joke

(well, Paralogue 23 is acceptable, and that's about it)

edit: actually Paralogue 23 swordmasters are annoying as hell

upandaway

Phew, all done. I had some trouble with the final chapter, so on a whim I tried partnering everyone.. and cleared it pretty easily (I also kept thinking I literally had to deal the final strike with y'know). The dragons and Panne were the stars of the endgame chapters easily. Somehow bulk made a comeback and speed decreased in importance, I have no clue how!

According to Activity Log it took me 42 hours haha. It was really amazing the whole time. I'll probably do a run that gets all the characters in the future (I missed all the children except for Nah, Noire and Morgan), maybe Normal/Classic, but for now I'm done. I ignored a lot of things that would have made the game a lot easier, so I'm completely spent.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I know I've seen it before, but how does the game choose what skills get passed down? Last two equipped from the parents?

Got the game for Christmas and completed it today, was a lot of fun although the last few chapters seemed way too easy I just sent my Avatar charging forward and he would take out the entire enemy without taking any damage, played on normal

Firebrand

Yeah, this game got way easier towards the second half... I'm only playing on Normal of course, but the game's difficulty seems almost inverted, I've gone from losing units frequently at the start to barely paying attention to enemy stats. Of course, probably doesn't help that I levelled up Donnel, been a long while since I saw an enemy have anything above 0% hit on him. If it weren't for me trying to build his support rank I'd just leave him at home more often. Think I'm gonna give up on unlocking every
child
on this run though and save a small few of them to a Hard or Lunatic playthrough.

Not done quite yet, but getting close I think.

Firebrand

And done. Took me a little under 50 hours on normal, as I did spend quite a bit of time levelling up secondary characters and doing side stories. Even so it was kinda depressing at the end seeing how little I had used some characters and how I hadn't quite gotten some S-ranks up in time for the ending. I knew I hadn't unlocked all the side stories, but I didn't expect to see 15 (!) shadows in the support log. This game. Haven't touched the spotpass / bonus stuff yet, I think I saw some extra quests in there?

ohlawd

How does the map work ghats the only thing that looms off putting to me...

What do you mean?

Pick your units, drop them on their designated spots, start.

We got maps of all varieties (actually, we really don't); big maps, small maps, tight maps, loose maps, wide maps, narrow maps, open maps, closed maps!

Draxal

I kinda wish Say'ri could have a child without the MU, I miss my second generation female swordmasters (Fir; Lakche).

But yeah, I kinda hope the next game doesn't have the Eugenics program, I don't mind the shipping at all, but it kinda limits the initial cast.

guek

Banned
Just started Awakening. I'm about 2hrs in and loving it but I do have a quick question. This is my first FE so I picked normal as my difficulty. While it's still challenging, I'm curious how hard the hard mode really is. Is the normal difficulty enough of a challenge for game savvy noobies?

upandaway

Just started Awakening. I'm about 2hrs in and loving it but I do have a quick question. This is my first FE so I picked normal as my difficulty. While it's still challenging, I'm curious how hard the hard mode really is. Is the normal difficulty enough of a challenge for game savvy noobies?
My friend, who's not familiar with the genre, played the game before me a month ago on normal/newcomer and said it was very easy. I took his advice and played on hard and it was pretty challenging, but not impossible at all (the only SPRG I played before was Disgaea). Sometimes I failed a lot and then immediately succeeded after changing my strategy in a key way. I felt it was pretty satisfying.

Still, the limited durability of items in combination with the limited grinding possibility makes it hard to get above roadblocks when I hit them, so I could definitely understand sticking to normal just for the certainty of actually being able to beat the game without waiting a long time for the randomized enemy packs/paying for DLC.

McNum

I'd say get a feel for Normal. Make your mistakes here where it's possible to recover. If the game is too easy, try Hard. But be aware that the game stops being polite when you go above Normal.

guek

Banned
Thanks for the advice! One more question: is Donnel even worth leveling up or is he always going to be kind of a turd?

Anteo

Thanks for the advice! One more question: is Donnel even worth leveling up or is he always going to be kind of a turd?

He can pretty much solo the game, including going alone vs the boss and the 10-15 enemies that are around while everyone else stands back trying to survive. His aptitude skill ensures that he will catch up and surpass anyone pretty fast. However in Lunatic and above is really hard to train him so he is underused in those dificulties.

if you like him, go for it
just know that the effort you put in could be better used on another character for the same or better results

Principate

Saint Titanfall
if you like him, go for it
just know that the effort you put in could be better used on another character for the same or better results

Yeah he has an amazing growth rate thx to aptitude, but is max stat mods are quite crap.

Basically Like I said beforehe makes early game more annoying if you try to level him makes mid easy (though mid is the easiest part), and is average end game (unless you've spread levels a lot/have levelled your characters that much). Pretty universal among all difficulties, though his end game stas hamper him in lunatic and lunatic +.

Firebrand

Trying my hand at Hard. Ugh. It's... hard. :p Chapter 5 was hell until I went and did Donnelquest for some levels and the Rescue staff, and now I'm having trouble with the first Anna side story in the forest, I just can't make it up there in time _and_ stay alive. Every mission so far has taken me several attempts. Well, I wanted a challenge... I'm not using Frederick much aside from the occasional stats-support on a couple of maps, maybe I need to.

Top Bottom