• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Branson

Ugh. Just started the game and I can't decide whether to keep on playing on Casual or start over on Classic. On Classic I'd probably just start over everytime I lose a unit anyway. :p "Lost" a few units early before I understood the mechanics of weaknesses (I didn't take the warning about archers against pegasus seriously enough!), the weapon triangle etc, but I feel a bit dirty for having completed the a couple of maps with losses that don't matter afterwards.

Might just do Casual on first run, seems like a game I'd like to replay anyway.

I had the debate in my head as well. I just stuck with casual on my 1st and only playthrough. It's my first fire emblem so I didn't want to get super frustrated and plus there is a game over if chrom or your created dude does so I figured it was an ok compromise. I have a lot of games to play so I didn't feel like having to restart after every person gets hit weird or ganged Up on. I'm still really enjoying it.

Anteo

We can talk shit about Sully but don't even joke around with Maribelle. This is some serious business shit right here :p

I married Sully once because I wanted that redhead morgan and I didnt want Cordelia as the wife again (the girl thinks about Chrom even after she gets married).
Never again,

Firebrand

I had the debate in my head as well. I just stuck with casual on my 1st and only playthrough. It's my first fire emblem so I didn't want to get super frustrated and plus there is a game over if chrom or your created dude does so I figured it was an ok compromise. I have a lot of games to play so I didn't feel like having to restart after every person gets hit weird or ganged Up on. I'm still really enjoying it.
Ah. I don't know how many units I'm "supposed" to lose, I'm guessing not as many as in XCOM. :p I have a habit of messing up at the end of each mission, in particular the pegasus lady (Sumia?) I tend to put in some dumb position and she ends up getting one-shotted by an archer or the commander. I think on average so far I've lost a unit every two battles, though that was... is... when still learning the mechanics.

Also, what's the deal with Frederick? He's like... super powerful compared to everyone else. I've actually tried to not use him because it seems he'd just soak up the exp from everyone else. Then again, maybe actually using him is a good strategy for not having units killed, hehe.

Astarte

Alright thanks guys, glad I'm not the only one who messed up a bit on their first run. Just gotta say though, Donnel and Nowi's child with galeforce is

GkkDJWn.gif

Also, what's the deal with Frederick? He's like... super powerful compared to everyone else. I've actually tried to not use him because it seems he'd just soak up the exp from everyone else. Then again, maybe actually using him is a good strategy for not having units killed, hehe.

depends on the difficulty
Normal, you really can just use him the whole game and kill everything because lolnormalmode
Hard, even a Frederick solo falls off by endgame and he's not even needed early
Lunatic, definitely required early on but drops off a cliff by midgame

Rad-

I dropped him when I realized he has pretty average stats considering his level.

I also lost many members in the first few chapters but not anyone lately. I should have put Frederick as a pair for the weaker ones, I realize that now.

Btw I just had Tharja's rank A scene... wat
Did she rape me?

I'm really liking this game. I've played FE games before but this is the first that has really grabbed me. So far the best 3DS game I have played.

Anteo

I dropped him when I realized he has pretty average stats considering his level.

I also lost many members in the first few chapters but not anyone lately. I should have put Frederick as a pair for the weaker ones, I realize that now.

Btw I just had Tharja's rank A scene... wat
Did she rape me?

I'm really liking this game. I've played FE games before but this is the first that has really grabbed me. So far the best 3DS game I have played.

btw, the A rank is exactly the same as a male or female.
Also even though is a optional scene, it has a logical explanation, but that would be spoilers as it involves a later important plot point.

Derrick01

Banned
Couple questions:

1) Do these special chapters only unlock by maxing out connections between characters? I'm assuming it's only for the ones that can be built to S rank and not A. I saw a couple unlock after my avatar character married Tharja (which I did not know was going to happen. Horniest damn female character I've seen too lol).

2) Is doing them in order important? Near the beginning of the game I managed to get the first 4 or so to open up but I didn't see any more until (mid game spoiler)
Lucina appeared
and the aforementioned Tharja marriage, and they're both something like paralogue #15, 17 or whatever. I'm pretty late in the game (I think) and haven't focused too much on relationships so I dunno how I'll be unlocking more.

3) For future reference I guess, what's the best way to raise these relationships? Is it by pairing units together? I'm not too much of a fan of that since it takes a unit out of commission until I separate them, so I've been sticking to just keeping units next to each other in combat.

Soriku

Couple questions:

1) Do these special chapters only unlock by maxing out connections between characters? I'm assuming it's only for the ones that can be built to S rank and not A. I saw a couple unlock after my avatar character married Tharja (which I did not know was going to happen. Horniest damn female character I've seen too lol).

2) Is doing them in order important? Near the beginning of the game I managed to get the first 4 or so to open up but I didn't see any more until (mid game spoiler)
Lucina appeared
and the aforementioned Tharja marriage, and they're both something like paralogue #15, 17 or whatever. I'm pretty late in the game (I think) and haven't focused too much on relationships so I dunno how I'll be unlocking more.

3) For future reference I guess, what's the best way to raise these relationships? Is it by pairing units together? I'm not too much of a fan of that since it takes a unit out of commission until I separate them, so I've been sticking to just keeping units next to each other in combat.

1. The child Paralogues, yes. There are a few Paralogues that open up after the second to last chapter that you don't have to do anything specific for.

2. You can do them whenever you want in any order.

3. You have to pair them up and let them kill enemies together. Just grind on the Bonus Box teams. Personally raising these relationships took too much time and got too tedious (you can break the game too easily too with a Sorceror w/ Nosferatu so battles got boring) so I couldn't be bothered to do some of the Paralogues.

Lucina appeared

The order doesn't matter but keep in mind as soon as you enter a child paralogue, the parent characters will each pass down the skill equipped in their lowest skill slot to the child. So if you want your kids to inherit specific skills, you may want to hold off going into their paralogues until you have them.

Derrick01

Banned
1. The child Paralogues, yes. There are a few Paralogues that open up after the second to last chapter that you don't have to do anything specific for.

2. You can do them whenever you want in any order.

3. You have to pair them up and let them kill enemies together. Just grind on the Bonus Box teams. Personally raising these relationships took too much time and got too tedious (you can break the game too easily too with a Sorceror w/ Nosferatu so battles got boring) so I couldn't be bothered to do some of the Paralogues.

Thanks. I had been using the optional battles to level up my pitiful characters instead of relationships, which now that I think about it I don't know why I was doing that. They were pitiful for me because I already wasn't using them in story battles, so I naturally still won't even though they're better now.

GamerSoul

Couple questions:

Yep the most of the paralogues are unlocked when a S rank is achieved and the characters marry. There are a few, like mentioned about that are unlockable later on automatically.

Lucina appeared

Order is not important. Since your past that point in the story, you will unlock more if you keep marrying your characters. The paralogues you unlock depends on the mother. Imo, some are pretty varied in map design, difficulty and objective. The last skills on each parent should be transfered to the recruit in the paralogue. You can always check their skills when you enter the paralogue. I think Chrom might be the special case though in some situations from my experience.

Pairing up is the best method. Every now and then you might get an usuable item named Seed of Trust that may help in the proces a bits but generally pairing up in battle will help the most. You could always grind for them on enemy Risen battles on the map. I have a hard time doing this for most units so I usually do it for my favorites. lol

Anteo

Thanks. I had been using the optional battles to level up my pitiful characters instead of relationships, which now that I think about it I don't know why I was doing that. They were pitiful for me because I already wasn't using them in story battles, so I naturally still won't even though they're better now.

Remember to set up the skills you want to pass down before going into these paralogues.
Also Tharja supports are the same if your mu is a female (no S rank of course, but C to A are the same)

upandaway

Starting to play this today, will be my first FE. My friend played this last month and told me to go Hard/Newcomer, so that's what I'll do.

Anyway, what am I supposed to do with the Asset/Flaw in character creation? My experience with these choices in RPGs is that they're almost never balanced correctly. Is it fine to choose whatever?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Once you reach near the end of game a whole bunch of side missions (bonus maps) with recruit-able characters become available unlike, the normal bonus teams these guys can get into relationships with some of your group (mostly the avatar.

I completely missed them on my first playthrough because I didn't bother with any of the wireless stuff. I your planning to do a lunatic run eventually I'd recommend getting your renown points to around 3500 before you start, it helps a lot with levelling characters since levelling characters are an absolute bitch in that mode (the enemies are so much more powerful than your units it's not even funny).

Starting to play this today, will be my first FE. My friend played this last month and told me to go Hard/Newcomer, so that's what I'll do.

Anyway, what am I supposed to do with the Asset/Flaw in character creation? My experience with these choices in RPGs is that they're almost never balanced correctly. Is it fine to choose whatever?

Speed weakness is the most painful, it means you'll double attack your enemies less and your enemies will double attack you more. Others may or may not effect your max dps much, since your only playing hard that doesn't really matter.

On lunatic and lunatic plus it does matter
Because Grima the final boss will literally laugh at you if your dps isn't good enough and you must kill him in two turns otherwise he because damn near impossible to beat due to physic heals.

GamerSoul

Reinfocerment is not RNG dude.
Maybe that, or 95% attack get missed and the unit get killed in retalation. Or maybe on top of that the said unit just get excellent growth beforehand.

i hate that crap too. And I know it's not RNG but it hurts more when those reinforcements show up and kill you when they have like a 40-50% hit chance.

Edit: One of the things I hate the most is when you forgot to check that one enemy who happens to have Counter or that ability to pass through you units and messes everything up. :/

upandaway

99% miss followed by taking a 1% crit counterattack.
Same thing happened to me just now, only with 2%. It's my third freaking battle, my main dude was at full health and would have killed the last enemy. But no, crit counter after a miss and I game over. What the hell man :(

I mean let's say I knew that there was a risk of such an absurd thing happening, the only thing I could have done was wait the turn for no reason and probably having someone die. What's the point.

Draxal

My favorite is when your unit keeps on critting nonstop while blocking a chokepoint taking chip damage for each unit he kills (that otherwise wouldn't have died if your unit wasn't critting); causing him to die. This wouldn't be an issue if your first attack crits, but it always has to be the second attack for me.

Derrick01

Banned
I missed 3 87% attacks in two turns last night, on a pretty tough map. It didn't get anyone killed but it got damn close on Sully. It's the closest I've come to throwing my 3DS so far.

Astarte

I missed 3 87% attacks in two turns last night, on a pretty tough map. It didn't get anyone killed but it got damn close on Sully. It's the closest I've come to throwing my 3DS so far.

That's what happened to me on that final paralogue map with the 30 on 30 fight. Thanks for counter guys, wiped my entire children's crusade. I think the only person that survived that massacre was owain but only because he pulled sol out of his ass.

That's what happened to me on that final paralogue map with the 30 on 30 fight. Thanks for counter guys, wiped my entire children's crusade. I think the only person that survived that massacre was owain but only because he pulled sol out of his ass.

I thought there were 50 enemies on that map
(that one sounds like a fun spot to play Advance Wars and Mire snipe everything to death)

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Try several attempts at
Grima
on lunatic (and by several I mean a lot ), with it having less than 20 health left scoring a vengeance the last strike and the git pavising leaving only 2 health left, followed by several physics to full health a party wipe shortly afterwards.

That boss was mocking me. Screw you Rightful God

tauroxd

So I finished the game back when it was released in February, put over 70 hours into it but now I want to play more of it, meaning DLC. My question is, how does it go? I want "story" DLC, not experience or gold or something like that, is there anywhere where I can look into all the DLC available and see what I will buy? Thanks in advance.

Anteo

So I finished the game back when it was released in February, put over 70 hours into it but now I want to play more of it, meaning DLC. My question is, how does it go? I want "story" DLC, not experience or gold or something like that, is there anywhere where I can look into all the DLC available and see what I will buy? Thanks in advance.

There is only one pack related to story;

- Future Past: Tells the story of an alternate outrealm. 3 chapters long (you use your regular group of characters. you are basically a visitor to this universe)

You also have this pack with some stuff that adds to the game

- Scramble Pack. Extra converstation between characters

Everything else is either fan service, extra skills/classes, cheat maps (gold exp weapons) or challenge maps

Challenge Pack: 3 hard stages
Aphosteosis: A ultra hard stage that is always in lunatic + dificulty,

tauroxd

There is only one pack related to story;

- Future Past: Tells the story of an alternate outrealm. 3 chapters long (you use your regular group of characters. you are basically a visitor to this universe)

You also have this pack with some stuff that adds to the game

- Scramble Pack. Extra converstation between characters

Everything else is either fan service, extra skills/classes, cheat maps (gold exp weapons) or challenge maps

Challenge Pack: 3 hard stages
Aphosteosis: A ultra hard stage that is always in lunatic + dificulty,

Thank you very much, so the fan service stuff is any good?

Anteo

Thank you very much, so the fan service stuff is any good?

No, its fanservice for players that know heroes from the eariler games, as we get some battles between cast of different games and some interaction between them. Sadly it is kind of repetitive (A + you vs B, then B + you vs A then A+B vs you) and the characters have little to no conv with the main cast. so avoid it unless you either want the stages with the new skills/classes for the harder stages.

tauroxd

No, its fanservice for players that know heroes from the eariler games, as we get some battles between cast of different games and some interaction between them. Sadly it is kind of repetitive (A + you vs B, then B + you vs A then A+B vs you) and the characters have little to no conv with the main cast. so avoid it unless you either want the stages with the new skills/classes for the harder stages.

Thanks, I probably won't buy anything and spent those $30 I was willing to spend on SMTIV in the eShop (should I do it? SMT, I mean.)

upandaway

Phew, just finished chapter 5, and between the limited use items, the lack of any money, and no way to gain EXP outside of the current chapter, this is pretty tough. I guess I'm to blame because I didn't expect items to be unrepairable and I went crazy using them and upgrading them.

Or, it was difficult until I decided to throw Frederick alone into the deepest fort possible. He took out like half of the enemies on the field by counters and healed to full HP every turn :lol you guys weren't kidding about him.

Astarte

Phew, just finished chapter 5, and between the limited use items, the lack of any money, and no way to gain EXP outside of the current chapter, this is pretty tough. I guess I'm to blame because I didn't expect items to be unrepairable and I went crazy using them and upgrading them.

Or, it was difficult until I decided to throw Frederick alone into the deepest fort possible. He took out like half of the enemies on the field by counters and healed to full HP every turn :lol you guys weren't kidding about him.

Oog, I relied on Frederick too much and the rest of my party ended up being in a shallow grave. But hell yeah he kicks ass at the beginning.

leroidys

I got this game for Christmas...

I'm no fire emblem noob (played PoR, RD, 7, SS), but this game still took me by surprise.

The presentation is phenomenal. I love the sprites, the slightly curved overworld, the subtle 3D effect, the fantastic music, return of support conversations, barracks talk, waifus...

The game still has the core fire emblem feeling completely intact, but every single aspect was reconsidered and tweaked. Loading times are essentially gone, every animation and sequence can be skipped or fast forwarded (including the enemies turn!), organizing and equipping your units pre-mission is streamlined, option of no-perma death mode, etc...

All that said, I still have a couple complaints. The game is ridiculously easy. I started on hard mode, and every mission is still a breeze after one or two critical turns.

Also, he story just seems to be a rehash of PoR/RD. Hopefully it will get more interesting.

I got this game for Christmas...

I'm no fire emblem noob (played PoR, RD, 7, SS), but this game still took me by surprise.

The presentation is phenomenal. I love the sprites, the slightly curved overworld, the subtle 3D effect, the fantastic music, return of support conversations, barracks talk, waifus...

The game still has the core fire emblem feeling completely intact, but every single aspect was reconsidered and tweaked. Loading times are essentially gone, every animation and sequence can be skipped or fast forwarded (including the enemies turn!), organizing and equipping your units pre-mission is streamlined, option of no-perma death mode, etc...

All that said, I still have a couple complaints. The game is ridiculously easy. I started on hard mode, and every mission is still a breeze after one or two critical turns.

Also, he story just seems to be a rehash of PoR/RD. Hopefully it will get more interesting.

eh what
I bet more people would be happy with the story if it were "just a rehash" of those two plotwise

leroidys

eh what
I bet more people would be happy with the story if it were "just a rehash" of those two plotwise

I'm early on, but so far it's got two kingdoms, the "good" one that is ruled by a princess formerly laid waste to the "bad" kingdom. The bad kingdom is trying to start a war in order to summon the dragons or whatever. Pretty much these exact same elements were in that duology.

Shengar

I'm early on, but so far it's got two kingdoms, the "good" one that is ruled by a princess formerly laid waste to the "bad" kingdom. The bad kingdom is trying to start a war in order to summon the dragons or whatever. Pretty much these exact same elements were in that duology.

Just wait and see the (main) story went downhill

GamerSoul

The latter. :(

ouch yea I think we've all been there in FE. I had a feeling because I lost a unit, Cherche, in a similar 3% crit situation. The only character I lost on my first playthrough. I didn't restart the map out of spite lol.

My favorite is when your unit keeps on critting nonstop while blocking a chokepoint taking chip damage for each unit he kills (that otherwise wouldn't have died if your unit wasn't critting); causing him to die. This wouldn't be an issue if your first attack crits, but it always has to be the second attack for me.

lol this gets to me too. All you can do is watch your unit kill themselves. :l

:eek: I can't say that had happened to me yet. wow that is some horrible luck.

GamerSoul

... I hope Minerva eats you.

I think I mentioned it way earlier in this thread. there was no way I wanted to repeat the chapter
It was against Walhart
near the end of the battle. But in my other playthroughs I tried to use Cherche to make up for it. She's a nice character I kinda feel bad :p

Still stuck on chp 1 on Lunatic +. I beat it once but I lost too many characters. .-.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Dat "Frederick the only one who got most of the exp" swagger, ended up with Chrom/Avatar instantly biting the dust.

Yeah don't you need a fairly all round competent group to even get Tiki (adult version anyway). Though really you never need Frederick until lunatic or lunatic plus.he's more useful as a support in the earlier chapters.

If you really wanted to use Frederick wait until he gets dual guard, and then stop levelling him. Dual guard should at least help with you levelling other characters.

Top Bottom