• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Trying my hand at Hard. Ugh. It's... hard. :p Chapter 5 was hell until I went and did Donnelquest for some levels and the Rescue staff, and now I'm having trouble with the first Anna side story in the forest, I just can't make it up there in time _and_ stay alive. Every mission so far has taken me several attempts. Well, I wanted a challenge... I'm not using Frederick much aside from the occasional stats-support on a couple of maps, maybe I need to.

Do you always check enemy attack ranges using A button and check what enemies can attack which unit and their weapons? (obviously there's the weapon triangle to keep in mind and defence resistance), then there's also certain titles that give avoid defence advantages etc.

that's about all you really need to know to not have much problem with hard, you could also cheese but that's not much fun.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Playing it very slowly (mainly at work) just did the first side mission you get and got the lancer kid. The first time I tried the mission my Pegasus rider lady died (she talked as if she was just out for this battle but I'm playing classic so I assume she was actually dead) so I reset... Which immediately made me think "why am I playing with perma death" :/

Firebrand

Do you always check enemy attack ranges using A button and check what enemies can attack which unit and their weapons? (obviously there's the weapon triangle to keep in mind and defence resistance), then there's also certain titles that give avoid defence advantages etc.

that's about all you really need to know to not have much problem with hard, you could also cheese but that's not much fun.
Of course, I always look for areas where enemy ranges don't overlap and bait them there with something tanky, maybe my problem is I play too defensively but the way I did it on Normal was that I wouldn't make a move if the outcome wasn't guaranteed, instead of relying on the RNG. (Advance Wars Emblem?) Maybe I should just be using Fred as his own unit at the start, but eh. Getting a bit easier now that my guys speed and defense is going up a bit. Aside from Chrom and my main character, Kellam is the guy who gets to come to every mission.

The luck stat seems to be more important too on Hard to bring the enemy crit chance down to 0% and not be at the mercy of the dice rolls, that was a bit of a pain early too.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Of course, I always look for areas where enemy ranges don't overlap and bait them there with something tanky, maybe my problem is I play too defensively but the way I did it on Normal was that I wouldn't make a move if the outcome wasn't guaranteed, instead of relying on the RNG. (Advance Wars Emblem?) Maybe I should just be using Fred as his own unit at the start, but eh. Getting a bit easier now that my guys speed and defense is going up a bit. Aside from Chrom and my main character, Kellam is the guy who gets to come to every mission.

The luck stat seems to be more important too on Hard to bring the enemy crit chance down to 0% and not be at the mercy of the dice rolls, that was a bit of a pain early too.

It's pretty easy once your units start to get over powered honestly just limit down your units 3-4 pairs and get those overpowered unlike lunatic there's plenty of place to level up and even spot pass gives decent xp. (though you shouldn't really need to use that though it's there) Enough speed and decent defence and your almost untouchable main game. Some of post game is a fair bit harder but you should really be focusing on your skill combinations what do you currently have?

Firebrand

It's pretty easy once your units start to get over powered honestly just limit down your units 3-4 pairs and get those overpowered unlike lunatic there's plenty of place to level up and even spot pass gives decent xp. (though you shouldn't really need to use that though it's there) Enough speed and decent defence and your almost untouchable main game. Some of post game is a fair bit harder but you should really be focusing on your skill combinations what do you currently have?
Well, I'm only at chapter 6 (mages!) currently so I haven't really gotten into the seals and skills yet. I did one Risen encounter on the map but other than that I haven't been grinding. Havent looked at spotpass stuff yet.

edit: I totally forgot reinforcements get to move on the turn they spawn on Hard, something they don't do on Normal. :D
Noticed something odd about
Validar
: His crit rate is 5, but Luck didn't seem to cancel it out, at least not at a 1:1 ratio. I wonder if there's a hidden crit stat I'm not aware of, or if it's related to his -Avoid aura.

Might try promoting at 15 instead of 20 this time... even with plenty of Risen encounters, on Normal I didn't had a lot of promoted skills to pass down, and I only went above the skill slot limit with one character (Noire, cause she's awesome).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lost another character and I don't think I'm going to reset this time, it was the axe dude that you get early on, don't particularly care about him (although that leaves me with no axe character) and I either stop obsessing about dead characters or I restart the game with no perma death because I cba to reset the game every time someone dies. I was disappointed that the game didn't acknowledge that he died, I know it's the same in xcom, I guess I expected differently on a jrpg where these characters are talking to each other and have cutscenes and whatnot.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well, I'm only at chapter 6 (mages!) currently so I haven't really gotten into the seals and skills yet. I did one Risen encounter on the map but other than that I haven't been grinding. Havent looked at spotpass stuff yet.

edit: I totally forgot reinforcements get to move on the turn they spawn on Hard, something they don't do on Normal. :D
Noticed something odd about
Validar
: His crit rate is 5, but Luck didn't seem to cancel it out, at least not at a 1:1 ratio. I wonder if there's a hidden crit stat I'm not aware of, or if it's related to his -Avoid aura.

Might try promoting at 15 instead of 20 this time... even with plenty of Risen encounters, on Normal I didn't had a lot of promoted skills to pass down, and I only went above the skill slot limit with one character (Noire, cause she's awesome).

If you had more than 8 luck (or whatever skill stat he had not sure if his stat changes on hard) perhaps his elfire was probably forged I'm guessing.

Also don't promote below 20, the games keeps a track of re-classes and promotions, which it uses to decreases your experience gain for both unpromoted and promoted.

When you promote the game automatically treats you as a level 21 , so you miss out on easy levels.

Lost another character and I don't think I'm going to reset this time, it was the axe dude that you get early on, don't particularly care about him (although that leaves me with no axe character) and I either stop obsessing about dead characters or I restart the game with no perma death because I cba to reset the game every time someone dies. I was disappointed that the game didn't acknowledge that he died, I know it's the same in xcom, I guess I expected differently on a jrpg where these characters are talking to each other and have cutscenes and whatnot.

I does many acknowledge many times if they die before you recruit them (though not all), if a character is central to the plot and doesn't die until the very end they are registered as retired, rather than dead. Outside of those characters you won't hear from the others again e.g Vaike.

guek

Banned
He can pretty much solo the game, including going alone vs the boss and the 10-15 enemies that are around while everyone else stands back trying to survive. His aptitude skill ensures that he will catch up and surpass anyone pretty fast. However in Lunatic and above is really hard to train him so he is underused in those dificulties.
Thanks for the tips guys. Holy hell this game is addicting. I've already played 15hrs or so. How long is this game on average?

I ended up playing on normal and I don't regret it but it is a bit easy once you get past the first few chapters. Now I have to work at making sure certain characters don't level too much faster than everyone else. I'm definitely planning to starting second game immediately on hard

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I was bored and going to check out the games soundtrack in the extra section and there I noticed the Hubba tester and decided to check that out (to see if it'd tell me some optimum implied pairings).

But this game man... I just paired up my avatar with lucina in the hubba tester (my avatar was married and lucina was a "companion" of owain) it told me my avatar had a large crush on her saying "the grass is always greener eh?".

I then tried my avatar and his wife Aversa it basically said they didn't care about each other. I then tried Chrom and Aversa, in which case Chrom had crush on Aversa, stating again "the grass is always greener eh?". I then tried Tharja and my avatar, she had a massive crush on my avatar, (no surprise there) .

Then..., then I tried Tiki and my avatar, it stated "Her loins were aflame for my Avatar", I kid you not those were the words the game said, my avatar didn't care for her.

I then tried Lucina and Tiki, It again stated Lucina's "loins were aflare for" Tiki. I tried this paring again, the same result... One more time same result....

Now I'm like damn..., so Lucina's a lesbian or least bi for Tiki. Tiki's into married men, and my Avatar and Chrom stare lustfully at their best friends daughter and wife respectively.

This game man this game....

Rhaknar

I just found out that spells are finite, what the fuck? Ran out of heal and now the chick is useless for the rest of the mission :/

And I upgraded my avatar's thunder a lot with the forge thing, and now I can lose it?

ohlawd

I just found out that spells are finite, what the fuck? Ran out of heal and now the chick is useless for the rest of the mission :/

And I upgraded my avatar's thunder a lot with the forge thing, and now I can lose it?

I wonder what people thought what the number beside the item meant and why it goes down after every use.

Don't bother giving any unit without Armsthrift and a good Luck stat a forged item. If you're loaded with cash then by all means, go ahead.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Everything is finite except Falchions. You don't need to forge stuff normal (or hard really).

You have to keep that in mind. Your weapons, tomes, healing spells etc all finite.

A mercenary skill armthrift helps mitigate this (based on luck), but always keep an eye on an items durability (the small number on the item).

I wonder what people thought what the number beside the item meant and why it goes down after every use.

Don't bother giving any unit without Armsthrift and a good Luck stat a forged item. If you're loaded with cash then by all means, go ahead.

Final boss not included, saves after the boss don't matter so You can spend all your money with no issues (though the only time you'll need to is lunatic).

Anteo

Wait you just ran out of heal? I always ran out by the 3rd chapter. Spamming heal is a pretty good tactic to level up the healer to the point where it can use actual weapons. Lissa generally ends up +5-7 levels over Chrom for a while and destroys people

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wait you just ran out of heal? I always ran out by the 3rd chapter. Spamming heal is a pretty good tactic to level up the healer to the point where it can use actual weapons. Lissa generally ends up +5-7 levels over Chrom for a while and destroys people

That until you get access to rescue. Normally level up to 20 using rescue alone.

Ironically Lissa was the first character I completely maxed. Reached quite a few times on my avatars but getting res up just took too long with normal endgame.

dionysus

Yaldog
Is there any reason to hold off on picking an advanced class as soon as you buy the reclass item? Like, does it pay off to be lvl 20 on the base class instead of lvl 10?

demidar

Is there any reason to hold off on picking an advanced class as soon as you buy the reclass item? Like, does it pay off to be lvl 20 on the base class instead of lvl 10?

You get more stat ups if you wait until 20 to reclass/advance.

Note: If a stat number is green, it means it hit its cap and you'll no longer gain stat ups in it anymore until you reclass to one that has a higher cap or upgrade to the advanced classes.

Rhaknar

Yeah she is lvl 7 or 8 while everyone else is 5 at most

I finished the game, Olivia and Lucina destroyed everything in their way.

I also played The Future Past DLC episodes and they were god damn glorious.

I wish the difficulties were more balanced, Hard was just hard at the very beginning, then it became really fair and fun. I'm glad I restarted the game because normal was boring.

ohlawd

I can't choose who to marry between Lucina and Lissa :-( urrrrrrrgh
Marry Lissa.

I'd rather bang my best bro's sister than the alternative. Srsly you're a sick fuck why are you even contemplating this.

Okay I'm just joking. I'd still pick Lissa tho cuz I love her.

Firebrand

Hmm, I'm at chapter 17 on Hard atm and I have 2/3 of
the kids
available on the map... but if I go grab them now, they'll only have some crappy basic class skills for the most part. On the other hand, if I wait and go on with the main quest, I'll likely be almost done with the game before I get them. That's what happened on Normal, I didn't really get to use them all that much. In that the regard the pacing of this game seems a bit off, but I guess I could start with the ones I don't really care much about and get some levels that way.

I guess it's gonna take some serious grinding for the "cool" skill sets. I've been rotating my crew a lot so I only have ~6 people at Promoted Lvl 5+ despite numerous encounters / reeking boxes.

I can't choose who to marry between Lucina and Lissa :-( urrrrrrrgh
whynotboth.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Hmm, I'm at chapter 17 on Hard atm and I have 2/3 of
the kids
available on the map... but if I go grab them now, they'll only have some crappy basic class skills for the most part. On the other hand, if I wait and go on with the main quest, I'll likely be almost done with the game before I get them. That's what happened on Normal, I didn't really get to use them all that much. In that the regard the pacing of this game seems a bit off, but I guess I could start with the ones I don't really care much about and get some levels that way.

I guess it's gonna take some serious grinding for the "cool" skill sets. I've been rotating my crew a lot so I only have ~6 people at Promoted Lvl 5+ despite numerous encounters / reeking boxes.

whynotboth.gif

Kids unlock by chapter 13, if they're still crappy by chapter 17 then you barely tried to level their parents, not that that matters since outside of gender specific skills kids can get most of their parents abilities anyway. Also kids are significantly stronger than their parents bar any level differences. Their max stats mods are both parents max stat mods (the different in max stat levels between characters using the same class), added together plus 1.

E.g if your Avatar had a max skill mod of 4 in skill (which is the increase picking an attribute as an assets in the character creator) and he marries someone with a max skil mod in skill of 3 the resultant child has a max skill mod of 8.

That's why they're not so powerful at the beginning but by the time you start maxing them they start to completely outstrip the parents Avatar included.

Of course you don't need such overpowered children to complete hard, but that is why they are the way they are. If you ditch their parents in favour of the children you'll ultimately end up with a far stronger core group. Max stat mods aren't affected by parents current level so unless you really want to pass on a skill (or need to pass it on since the child can't acquire it), there's no need to wait.

Firebrand

I don't worry too much about the stats, they tend to work out okay anyway. I'm mostly curious as to how people get tasty promoted skills on each kid without some serious grinding or delaying them until late game.

But yeah, I don't powerlevel any particular units, reeking boxes / Risen spawns are mostly spent on the stragglers since I need to get the S-ranks in the first place. I also like to take some "rookies" over the highest level pairs on the main missions to get their levels up a bit, which of course makes each map a bit harder and time-consuming it they ought to be. :p Maybe it's better to focus on a few good kids but eh, gotta catch em all.

Might just roll with whatever kids I get and save the min/maxing for a future run that's planned out better from the start. I thought I'd at least see them all this run.

Didn't know about the inherited max stats mods, that's interesting. Curious that they're added together instead of averaged.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't worry too much about the stats, they tend to work out okay anyway. I'm mostly curious as to how people get tasty promoted skills on each kid without some serious grinding or delaying them until late game.

But yeah, I don't powerlevel any particular units, reeking boxes / Risen spawns are mostly spent on the stragglers since I need to get the S-ranks in the first place. I also like to take some "rookies" over the highest level pairs on the main missions to get their levels up a bit, which of course makes each map a bit harder and time-consuming it they ought to be. :p Maybe it's better to focus on a few good kids but eh, gotta catch em all.

Might just roll with whatever kids I get and save the min/maxing for a future run that's planned out better from the start. I thought I'd at least see them all this run.

Didn't know about the inherited max stats mods, that's interesting. Curious that they're added together instead of averaged.

It matters more in Lunatic where grima has like 50 defense and you have very real possibility of doing 1 damage, while maxed out to a 100 health foe you need to kill in one offensive and defensive turm.

They do the average thing for units base stats starting stats. Which is why you can recruit them at maxed stats for the class.

stanley1993

Neo Member
Can you have two wives?
Also(may be spoilers)
I thought I could have used overpowered Lon qu(swordmaster) + Owain(ninja man) and Virion(horse bow) + Cordelia(evolved pegasus) to go through the whole game without the help of supporting characs.
Does anyone who has used this team feel the same? the swordmaster is just so fast.

btw, great game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Can you have two wives?
Also(may be spoilers)
I thought I could have used overpowered Lon qu(swordmaster) + Owain(ninja man) and Virion(horse bow) + Cordelia(evolved pegasus) to go through the whole game without the help of supporting characs.
Does anyone who has used this team feel the same? the swordmaster is just so fast.

btw, great game.

On normal and hard it's possibility to get therough the game with almost any combination, so don't worry too much about builds etc just stick to or build what you like.

yaesir

So i am on my first playthrough i didn't read anything about playing the game (just remembered stuff from the gba games when it came to mechanics) and now my morgan is an absolute beast (at least where i am at).

I married lyssa, made morgan a dark flier because i had made cordelia a falcon knight and i didn't like that much, so now morgan has galeforce and i had no idea they would put such an absurd skill in the game.

Morgan is soloing (well i put chrom as support because i can't drop him out) entire chapters, nothing can kill her. This is on hard classic.

Guess i'll finish the game and play on lunatic, such a great game but somewhat easy to break.

GamerSoul

So i am on my first playthrough i didn't read anything about playing the game (just remembered stuff from the gba games when it came to mechanics) and now my morgan is an absolute beast (at least where i am at).

I married lyssa, made morgan a dark flier because i had made cordelia a falcon knight and i didn't like that much, so now morgan has galeforce and i had no idea they would put such an absurd skill in the game.

Morgan is soloing (well i put chrom as support because i can't drop him out) entire chapters, nothing can kill her. This is on hard classic.

Guess i'll finish the game and play on lunatic, such a great game but somewhat easy to break.

hehe nice. You were able to get galeforce without even trying to. Lunatic is definitely more of a challenge but there are still some challenges on hard mode that you will find.. unless you have already beaten the game and everything >.>

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Is it possible to get the Bonus Box contents now through Spotpass? Or are the contents only available by buying the DLC?

Anteo

Is it possible to get the Bonus Box contents now through Spotpass? Or is the content only available by buying the DLC?

THe bonus box is spotpass only and there is an option to download it, if they ever stop giving it as spotpass you wont find it on the dlc section either, those are completly different things.

bernardobri

THe bonus box is spotpass only and there is an option to download it, if they ever stop giving it as spotpass you wont find it on the dlc section either, those are completly different things.

Huh, I'm on chapter 10 and I can't download anything yet from the Spotpass. I guess I'm very late to the party, then?

Anteo

Huh, I'm on chapter 10 and I can't download anything yet from the Spotpass. I guess I'm very late to the party, then?

Wait they stopped giving the spotpass content? Thats weird, there are 6 extra stages taht you get from there. What does it say when you select update now?

bernardobri

Wait they stopped giving the spotpass content? Thats weird, there are 6 extra stages taht you get from there. What does it say when you select update now?

"Unable to receive new data". And I have disabled and then enabled the Spotpass option just in case but it didn't work either.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"Unable to receive new data". And I have disabled and then enabled the Spotpass option just in case but it didn't work either.

You sure you haven't already got it? I never had to update spot pass to receive stuff, it was all already there. Do you not see a section for bonus maps, teams etc?

bernardobri

You sure you haven't already got it? I never had to update spot pass to receive stuff, it was all already there. Do you not see a section for bonus maps, teams etc?

The sections are there, but they don't display any content at all. :/

stanley1993

Neo Member
On normal and hard it's possibility to get therough the game with almost any combination, so don't worry too much about builds etc just stick to or build what you like.

yeah i might try a harder difficulty.
how does lon qu compare with other characters? is there a general consensus on which characters are best stat wise or are all characters generally balanced?

how does lon qu compare with other characters? is there a general consensus on which characters are best stat wise or are all characters generally

Lon'qu is....not really good, especially on higher difficulties
top characters assuming minimal/no grinding, lunatic mode:
Avatar, Morgan, Lucina, Chrom (pairup bot), Frederick (earlygame)
then there's Libra/Anna for staff duties, and Cordelia/Panne/Tiki are decent (the former two require a bit of help early though)
oh and of course any other kids attached to Chrom/Avatar, unless Chrom was neglected in which case Lucy is screwed

Principate

Saint Titanfall
yeah i might try a harder difficulty.
how does lon qu compare with other characters? is there a general consensus on which characters are best stat wise or are all characters generally balanced?

Morgan is absolute and utter top tier there's no question about that, if you sacrifice having a second Avatar child since she's the only third generation child you can get, if you marry your avatar to a child character (adds the parents max stat mods together and remember children already have heir parents stats added together.so it gives an even further boost). It allows her at base max stat to surpass 60 stats and perhaps 70 with various other mods.

Then there's the children characters with the Avatar, (as long as you spec and choose decent parents), then everyone else, though chrom comes out reasonably high for lord pair ups. You need Frederick for early game but in lunatic the less you rely on him the better.

Lon qu's a great speed parent as a character he's kinda underwhelming (his weakness is his terrible defense) but he's still decent enough. Vaike's quite nice in general he has a good strength max stat mod and his weakness isn't particularly painful, but you'll only really notice his advantages once you level him up properly. Miriel and Ricken are the best magic pair (and magic pair parents), pretty decent also. etc.

In lunatic you'll have to greatly cut down the characters you level, and unless they're Chrom or lucina who become important latter on ensuring the character has access to Nosferatu will make levelling much easier.#

The sections are there, but they don't display any content at all. :/

Seems likely a bug try searching online for similar or contacting them I only got the game for Christmas so it's unlikely they shut it down that quickly.

Hoodbury

Do enemy thiefs ever leave the map after they open chests and loot them? Do I need to worry about chasing them recklessly or can I just get the loot from the chest after killing them when I get to them on my own time?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Do enemy thiefs ever leave the map after they open chests and loot them? Do I need to worry about chasing them recklessly or can I just get the loot from the chest after killing them when I get to them on my own time?

They certainly do on hard, not sure on normal but I'd imagine so.

bernardobri

Morgan is absolute and utter top tier there's no question about that, if you sacrifice having a second Avatar child since she's the only third generation child you can get, if you marry your avatar to a child character (adds the parents max stat mods together and remember children already have heir parents stats added together.so it gives an even further boost). It allows her at base max stat to surpass 60 stats and perhaps 70 with various other mods.

Then there's the children characters with the Avatar, (as long as you spec and choose decent parents), then everyone else, though chrom comes out reasonably high for lord pair ups. You need Frederick for early game but in lunatic the less you rely on him the better.

Lon qu's a great speed parent as a character he's kinda underwhelming (his weakness is his terrible defense) but he's still decent enough. Vaike's quite nice in general he has a good strength max stat mod and his weakness isn't particularly painful, but you'll only really notice his advantages once you level him up properly. Miriel and Ricken are the best magic pair (and magic pair parents), pretty decent also. etc.

In lunatic you'll have to greatly cut down the characters you level, and unless they're Chrom or lucina who become important latter on ensuring the character has access to Nosferatu will make levelling much easier.#

Seems likely a bug try searching online for similar or contacting them I only got the game for Christmas so it's unlikely they shut it down that quickly.

I started a new game and got through until I had the wireless option available, but still nothing. Now with 15 hours invested in the main game I can't be even bothered to wipe out the whole thing :-/

Top Bottom