• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

NeonZ

When I still needed to update Awakening to get new spotpass data, I remember that I often needed a very strong signal for some reason - stronger than the one necessary to download things usually. Most of the time I had to take it right next to the router in order to make it acknowledge the new data, otherwise I got that error message.

Kokonoe

Banned
I beat this game and it ended up being my favorite 3DS game. It's also my first time ever playing a FE game and I didn't run into anything "weird" or "waifu" or whichever, I kind of just played game. I didn't really touch the relationship thingy, though, didn't understand if you get any items for doing it or not but it wasn't needed regardless as I got through the game just fine.

Also I ran into Tharja in the game but I didn't get to play as her, I take it you have to unlock her via a special method or something? I just went after her and destroyed her.

My only complaint with the game is that near the end you can just rush to the boss and beat the levels in like 2-3 turns, they need to work on the balancing on that aspect. Still, I love the game, it's pretty good and has a nice story. Also like the characters.

ohlawd

Pretty obvious who you can recruit as they usually have dialogue preceding the start of battle and unique portraits.

Paring up people will give you kids who generally will have higher stats than their parents and access to skills they can't get otherwise.

With how the last map is set up with the enemies, I don't see why you'd prolong your turn count. You'll be swarmed and killed which is the point.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I beat this game and it ended up being my favorite 3DS game. It's also my first time ever playing a FE game and I didn't run into anything "weird" or "waifu" or whichever, I kind of just played game. I didn't really touch the relationship thingy, though, didn't understand if you get any items for doing it or not but it wasn't needed regardless as I got through the game just fine.

Also I ran into Tharja in the game but I didn't get to play as her, I take it you have to unlock her via a special method or something? I just went after her and destroyed her.

My only complaint with the game is that near the end you can just rush to the boss and beat the levels in like 2-3 turns, they need to work on the balancing on that aspect. Still, I love the game, it's pretty good and has a nice story. Also like the characters.

In order to recruit her (or basically any initially aggressive characters sine there's a few), you need to in your active phrase place a unit (almost always Chrom outside of some children), next to the character and use the talk option not attack. This means you must stay out of their attack range if you cannot move your unit close enough in that stage or equip a weapon in which your your unit cannot attack back with (e.g if their a ranged recruit equip a melee only weapon they'll almost never attack in melee range if ranged is possible.

A unit that can recruit if killed will have the same slow motion death animation and music as an already recruited character

Kokonoe

Banned
Pretty obvious who you can recruit as they usually have dialogue preceding the start of battle and unique portraits.

Paring up people will give you kids who generally will have higher stats than their parents and access to skills they can't get otherwise.

With how the last map is set up with the enemies, I don't see why you'd prolong your turn count. You'll be swarmed and killed which is the point.

I don't mean just the last map I mean the last 8 or so chapters of the game.

In order to recruit her (or basically any initially aggressive characters sine there's a few), you need to in your active phrase place a unit (almost always Chrom outside of some children), next to the character and use the talk option not attack. This means you must stay out of their attack range if you cannot move your unit close enough in that stage or equip a weapon in which your your unit cannot attack back with (e.g if their a ranged recruit equip a melee only weapon they'll almost never attack in melee range if ranged is possible.

A unit that can recruit if killed will have the same slow motion death animation and music as an already recruited character

Oh interesting. I guess I didn't realize chrom was suppose to talk to her. I did pair a lot on the battlefield but only for strategy.

Anteo

Pretty sure some of the bosses have the same animation and are not recruitable, like
Validar for example

Warhol

Neo Member
This is old news but....this game is incredible. I just finished up my playthrough on hard/casual. I suck at these games (I've never been able to finish any American FE game due to the difficulty) but the brilliant spotpass system carried me through the game.

Nintendo still surprises me with what they can do. The story was solid, gameplay addicting, characters amazing, graphics stunning especially in cutscenes (this is the first 3DS game I've played that I actually wanted to keep the 3D on for), etc. I'm not the type to replay games but this game perfectly lends itself to multiple playthroughs to see all the different support convos/creating your own challenges (Spotpass/DLC characters only, MU and Chrom only run, etc.).

Only if they would release a sequel with the same sort of mechanics for Wii U with online play and map creator like in Advance Wars.

Fjordson

Just finished also for the first time. Took me like 35 hours, but I still had some side mission stuff left on the map. Incredible game from start to finish.

I really liked the ending, with the little rundown of all the characters. Overall I was way more into the story and characters than I thought I would be. Never played a FE game before, so I didn't know if I'd be able to jump in randomly and enjoy the story, but it was great.

for full reference, list of characters Chrom can NOT recruit via talk or battling *cough*
Walhart
*cough* (and do not auto-recruit themselves or join at the end of battle if survived):
Donnel (has to gain a level in his starting chapter)
Severa (has to talk to Holland, Cordelia can't recruit her either WTF)
Yen'fay
(Say'ri has to talk to him)

MrDaravon

I'm playing on Hard and getting fucking WRECKED on Chapter 5. I'm trying not to use or rely on Frederick, do I just absolutely have to use him here or what? I have a skirmish available on the map as well, but I get wrecked pretty much the same way there as well if I don't heavily rely on him. This is most certainly not my first FE game so I have no idea what the fuck I am doing wrong. I've tried pairing everyone up into 3-4 units on both battles and I'm just not seeing the huge benefits that people are talking about? I am apparently terrible, what am I doing wrong? I know all about the weapon triangle, terrain advantage and enemy movement/attack radius. The problem is that if more than 1 or 2 enemies can get at me in the same turn ANY unit that is not Frederick, paired up or not, will die and there is literally nothing I can do about it. Usually in previous games you could kite off individual or small groups of enemy units, but in both of the battles I'm stuck on huge groups of enemies immediately start moving on me no matter what I do. About to throw my 3DS out the window here. I'm hoping I'm missing something stupid or obvious.

Anteo

I'm playing on Hard and getting fucking WRECKED on Chapter 5. I'm trying not to use or rely on Frederick, do I just absolutely have to use him here or what? I have a skirmish available on the map as well, but I get wrecked pretty much the same way there as well if I don't heavily rely on him. This is most certainly not my first FE game so I have no idea what the fuck I am doing wrong. I've tried pairing everyone up into 3-4 units on both battles and I'm just not seeing the huge benefits that people are talking about? I am apparently terrible, what am I doing wrong? I know all about the weapon triangle, terrain advantage and enemy movement/attack radius. The problem is that if more than 1 or 2 enemies can get at me in the same turn ANY unit that is not Frederick, paired up or not, will die and there is literally nothing I can do about it. Usually in previous games you could kite off individual or small groups of enemy units, but in both of the battles I'm stuck on huge groups of enemies immediately start moving on me no matter what I do. About to throw my 3DS out the window here. I'm hoping I'm missing something stupid or obvious.

Is that the stage with the mages that you need to rescue from the cliff?
Put fred in the choke point (with no weapons) and kill everyone that comes from the side
Check the attack range of the dragons, and plan for that. You should be able to take them all with a Mage with wind and Chrom sword that deals x3 damage to dragons

GamerSoul

Put fred in the choke point (with no weapons) and kill everyone that comes from the side
Check the attack range of the dragons, and plan for that. You should be able to take them all with a Mage with wind and Chrom sword that deals x3 damage to dragons

Listen to this man (if it is that stage lol). The stage is all about that one choke point and how you plan for it. Imo, hard mode starts with a steep difficulty curve but the main campaign begins to get more manageable as your units get stronger.

I restarted Lunatic on casual and yea it's still ridiculous. I'm also trying not to purposely "sacrifice" certain characters as a strategy unless I have no choice. heh

Shengar

I restarted Lunatic on casual and yea it's still ridiculous. I'm also trying not to purposely "sacrifice" certain characters as a strategy unless I have no choice. heh

It get even more ridiculous later game. They essentially forced to use single pair of very overpowered unit, thanks to the enemy hax forge weapon means that your units DEF and SKILL don't mean shit.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pretty sure some of the bosses have the same animation and are not recruitable, like
Validar for example

Animation and music didn't say either or
And you can normally recruit most them in the end away

It get even more ridiculous later game. They essentially forced to use single pair of very overpowered unit, thanks to the enemy hax forge weapon means that your units DEF and SKILL don't mean shit.

TBF Vanatage, vengeance if possible and high enough attack can deal with the majority of enemies especially if you have brave weapons which you can buy via spotpass.

MrDaravon

Yeah, what I wound up doing was pairing Chrom with Frederick and just had Frederick tank that pass. Which is super goddamn lame, but it worked. I also managed to clear Paralogue 1 and get the Rescue Staff which I used to get the mages out of there at the start.

My main complaint is that the enemy levels on the random skirmishes are way higher than my guys, I'm not sure if this is intentional or if my group is underleveled or what. Until Chapter 5 I was trying to use Frederick as little as possible (mostly as bait) so he was only level 2 so I don't think he was stealing a lot of XP from the group. But going into Chapter 5 Chrom/Tactician were both level 8, Lissa was level 7 and then everyone else was level 4 or 5. On the skirmishes though all of the enemies were level 7 or 8, which results in everyone that isn't Frederick (and sometimes Chrom/Tactician) getting one-shotted. So I don't know what the hell. Should I just be focusing on ~8 or so characters to level up and just not worrying about trying to level everyone up at this point?

As an aside I got Donnel from that Paralogue, should I actually be trying to level him up ASAP?

Edit: Yeah, after spending literally at least 8-10 hours trying to beat Chapters 4-6 on Hard with no deaths I'm just playing on Casual now and not giving a fuck. Literally not having fun with the game. Have cleared more FE and tactics games than I can name, I have no idea why I can't do this since everyone says Hard is totally fine, but I no longer care.

Anteo

Yeah, what I wound up doing was pairing Chrom with Frederick and just had Frederick tank that pass. Which is super goddamn lame, but it worked. I also managed to clear Paralogue 1 and get the Rescue Staff which I used to get the mages out of there at the start.

My main complaint is that the enemy levels on the random skirmishes are way higher than my guys, I'm not sure if this is intentional or if my group is underleveled or what. Until Chapter 5 I was trying to use Frederick as little as possible (mostly as bait) so he was only level 2 so I don't think he was stealing a lot of XP from the group. But going into Chapter 5 Chrom/Tactician were both level 8, Lissa was level 7 and then everyone else was level 4 or 5. On the skirmishes though all of the enemies were level 7 or 8, which results in everyone that isn't Frederick (and sometimes Chrom/Tactician) getting one-shotted. So I don't know what the hell. Should I just be focusing on ~8 or so characters to level up and just not worrying about trying to level everyone up at this point?

As an aside I got Donnel from that Paralogue, should I actually be trying to level him up ASAP?

Edit: Yeah, after spending literally at least 8-10 hours trying to beat Chapters 4-6 on Hard with no deaths I'm just playing on Casual now and not giving a fuck. Literally not having fun with the game. Have cleared more FE and tactics games than I can name, I have no idea why I can't do this since everyone says Hard is totally fine, but I no longer care.

I think the level of random battles is related to the level of the enemies in that chapter + 2-3 , so if in chapter 3 enemies were level 4-5, a random battle there should have enemies +2-3

Also if you like to grind, train everyone, otherwise train who you like the most.

And yes, donnel unique skill makes it so he gets +5 stats upgraded in every promotion while the average for most is +3

I think the level of random battles is related to the level of the enemies in that chapter + 2-3 , so if in chapter 3 enemies were level 4-5, a random battle there should have enemies +2-3

Also if you like to grind, train everyone, otherwise train who you like the most.

And yes, donnel unique skill makes it so he gets +5 stats upgraded in every promotion while the average for most is +3

what?
that's because Villager bases are so pathetic, not because he gets extra stats

Anteo

what?
that's because Villager bases are so pathetic, not because he gets extra stats

Aptitude adds +20% chance of upgrading to every stat so:

Without Aptitude
HP Str Mag Skl Spd Luk Def Res
85% 55% 15% 45% 50% 80% 45% 20%

With Aptitude
105% 75% 35% 65% 70% 100% 65% 40%

So with aptitude equiped he has 100% LUK (gets luck every level) and 105% HP (gets AT LEAST +1, 5% chance of getting +2)
Most units get 3-4 stats upgraded per level, Donnel will most likely get 5-6.

Draxal

Aptitude adds +20% chance of upgrading to every stat so:

Without Aptitude
85% 55% 15% 45% 50% 80% 45% 20%

With Aptitude
105% 75% 35% 65% 70% 100% 65% 40%

So with aptitude equiped he has 100% LUK (gets luck every level) and 105% HP (gets AT LEAST +1, 5% chance of getting +2)
Most units get 3-4 stats upgraded per level, Donnel will most likely get 5-6.

You used the word promotion in the previous post, which isn't the same as a level gain, Donnel switching to a merc gains aton of stats just due to better base states of those classes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Honestly check enemy attack spaces (x shows where the enemy can attack) leave the avatar in the furthest one as well as or either chrom depending on the avatar types, occasional heal if you need and you'll. be greatly outleveled. by chapter 8 at least one of your units should be near and you don't even need to use Fred at all, just pair him with avatar or chrom. Aside from a few optional objectives the game should become easy fairly quickly.

If you really need help use low level spot passes to level up

MrDaravon

Do you sometimes NOT want to just have everyone Pair Up? I think what's really screwing me is that in this game you can't seem to really kite individual or small groups of enemies; usually half the map or more just starts moving on you at once. For example, I just beat Chapter 11, but lost like 75% of my units because there was seemingly no way to not engage 6-8+ enemies all at the same time. But I also had everyone paired up in ways that seemed to make sense (pair a Merc unit with a mage to buff def, etc), and with one or two exceptions my entire crew was all level 12-15 or in a promoted class. And I still got destroyed. I have no idea why I can't play this game properly apparently.

How exactly do I fight spotpass teams? The game doesn't really explain anything. I see where I can set up and sortie a StreetPass Team (which I've done) but then nothing happens?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Do you sometimes NOT want to just have everyone Pair Up? I think what's really screwing me is that in this game you can't seem to really kite individual or small groups of enemies; usually half the map or more just starts moving on you at once. For example, I just beat Chapter 11, but lost like 75% of my units because there was seemingly no way to not engage 6-8+ enemies all at the same time. But I also had everyone paired up in ways that seemed to make sense (pair a Merc unit with a mage to buff def, etc), and with one or two exceptions my entire crew was all level 12-15 or in a promoted class. And I still got destroyed. I have no idea why I can't play this game properly apparently.

How exactly do I fight spotpass teams? The game doesn't really explain anything. I see where I can set up and sortie a StreetPass Team (which I've done) but then nothing happens?

Single powerful units are more preferred over numerous mediocre, in hard it's pretty easy even without grinding to get to a defence level where most units do zero damage, or have an extremely low hit chance. The Avatar has the capability from the very start and will remain with the capability throughout hard if you level him adequately .Chrom is also fairly decent at that if you level adequately. That's why you leave one or two strong enemies in the attack range because those units are stronger than the enemy on the enemies turn allow you to wipe them out in a single turn with ranged capability or a few more if not.

On the main menu with wireless, save etc click the wireless button then bonus teams, then chose low level Pegasus teams (easiest enemies) and grind yourself to victory

MrDaravon

Single powerful units are more preferred over numerous mediocre, in hard it's pretty easy even without grinding to get to a defence level where most units do zero damage, or have an extremely low hit chance. The Avatar has the capability from the very start and will remain with the capability throughout hard if you level him adequately .Chrom is also fairly decent at that if you level adequately. That's why you leave one or two strong enemies in the attack range because those units are stronger than the enemy on the enemies turn allow you to wipe them out in a single turn with ranged capability or a few more if not.

On the main menu with wireless, save etc click the wireless button then bonus teams, then chose low level Pegasus teams (easiest enemies) and grind yourself to victory

Ohhh it's under Bonus Box, I assumed it was under the Teams thing. The DLC/streetpass stuff in this game is laid out/explained really poorly. Regarding my units I think the problem was that until Chapter 8 or so I was leveling everyone up, which I think spread me to thin on Hard, especially since I wasn't grinding the Bonus Teams and the random skirmishes on the map were often too hard for me to do. I've picked about ~12-14 units I'm going to roll with (at least at the moment) so I'll probably grind everyone up a bit and see how that helps.

At some point do I start rolling in money? Right now I'm not having a lot of money for buying better weapons and whatnot.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ohhh it's under Bonus Box, I assumed it was under the Teams thing. The DLC/streetpass stuff in this game is laid out/explained really poorly. Regarding my units I think the problem was that until Chapter 8 or so I was leveling everyone up, which I think spread me to thin on Hard, especially since I wasn't grinding the Bonus Teams and the random skirmishes on the map were often too hard for me to do. I've picked about ~12-14 units I'm going to roll with (at least at the moment) so I'll probably grind everyone up a bit and see how that helps.

At some point do I start rolling in money? Right now I'm not having a lot of money for buying better weapons and whatnot.

Despoil skill (a barbarian skill-available through male reclass), on a character with high luck, most chests have a fair bit of money but unlocking all of them is harder than normal playthrough, a renown award you acquire by fighting street pass teams a 10000 bullion, which is persistent into a new playthrough, and selling anything you don't need.

Random mobs are also good if you just grind with falchion. Money shouldn't be too much of an issue in general unless you spend on a load of stuff you don't need.

You never really roll with money without dlc. but you don't need to be. Litterally to defeat the final boss I spent all my money but since it doesn't save after you complete it outside of renown I could just go to point before I spent it and did the end game.

There's also special weapons under bonus items which you can use on harder maps. Also bonus maps under bonus maps (useable only during endgame).

guek

Banned
So I finished the game (awesome, easily one of my favorite games ever) and I'm trying my hand at the Future Past DLC but I can't even touch it. The enemies are so damn strong and almost all of my guys are maxed at level 20. What am I supposed to do here?

Anteo

So I finished the game (awesome, easily one of my favorite games ever) and I'm trying my hand at the Future Past DLC but I can't even touch it. The enemies are so damn strong and almost all of my guys are maxed at level 20. What am I supposed to do here?

Probably grind. You should know by now that levels mean nothing, the important part are the stats, If you do want to grind get some second seals and reset the level of your units.

heh you must be playing on normal or hard where the stat jump from endgame to Future Past is extremely noticeable
because on Lunatic max stats-->max stats means nothing

demidar

I tried to start up the game after I beat it but I went to the last battle. Did it save my progress? Little confused. Thanks!

The save will always be just before the last battle, story-wise, so you can redo it over and over if you like. I don't think there's clear data that you can save.

MrDaravon

Okay, I'm on Chapter 16 on Hard, I've got nearly all of my units onto their second class (and some of them pretty far along on the second class). Things are going a bit better, but I'm curious; on a playthrough for story purposes does doing all of the different re-classing to get specific skills on characters actually really matter? Looking around on Gamefaqs and virtually all talk is on class paths built around picking up specific skills, but if I'm just looking (at least right now) to get through the story should I really even worry about that? Up to this point I have even really bothered looking at specific skills, and I don't think I have anyone who has more skills than they can equip at the moment anyway.

guek

Banned
Probably grind. You should know by now that levels mean nothing, the important part are the stats, If you do want to grind get some second seals and reset the level of your units.

So how do you grind for specific stats after resetting my classes? You just mean with reeking boxes?

demidar

Okay, I'm on Chapter 16 on Hard, I've got nearly all of my units onto their second class (and some of them pretty far along on the second class). Things are going a bit better, but I'm curious; on a playthrough for story purposes does doing all of the different re-classing to get specific skills on characters actually really matter? Looking around on Gamefaqs and virtually all talk is on class paths built around picking up specific skills, but if I'm just looking (at least right now) to get through the story should I really even worry about that? Up to this point I have even really bothered looking at specific skills, and I don't think I have anyone who has more skills than they can equip at the moment anyway.

No. You'll probably faceroll the final stage just keeping on. All that path planning is for Lunatic or taking on Apotheosis. You can still do it if you want though, if you like making a mockery of the enemy.

NeonZ

on a playthrough for story purposes does doing all of the different re-classing to get specific skills on characters actually really matter? Looking around on Gamefaqs and virtually all talk is on class paths built around picking up specific skills, but if I'm just looking (at least right now) to get through the story should I really even worry about that? Up to this point I have even really bothered looking at specific skills, and I don't think I have anyone who has more skills than they can equip at the moment anyway.

Nah. If you're just playing through the story on normal or hard, second seals to pick optimal skill set ups aren't really necessary. By the time you get through two class trees, your character would already have base stats way higher than any enemy in the main story chapters anyway. Only a few characters need second seals to be used at all (Donnel to get out of the villager class, Olivia if you want her as an offensive unit), but that's more class based than skill based.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So how do you grind for specific stats after resetting my classes? You just mean with reeking boxes?

Spot passing equivalent level Pegasus units or just units around your rough level in general are the most inefficient. You should be able to clear a map fairly quickly with one pair up giving you generally around at least 1 level if your aren't completely outleveled and sometimes much more depending on the scenario.

No. You'll probably faceroll the final stage just keeping on. All that path planning is for Lunatic or taking on Apotheosis. You can still do it if you want though, if you like making a mockery of the enemy.

If you want to solo wellspring of truth, it's pretty useful, (probably the hardest challenge on hard if your nor purposefully gimping yourself.

NEO0MJ

So I just started this game despite having it for a few months (had to make use of that FE/SMT deal) and am confused as to what those strong/weak choices affect our avatar in the game. For now I placed Magic as a strong point and strength as a weakness.

Vitanimus

Anyone know of a way to get Second Seals before Chapter 16? Specifically, I'm about to start Chapter 13 where you
recruit Lucina.
I grinded up Somia to get Galeforce to pass down, but I don't have a fifth skill to fill the remaining slot so I need a second seal to change to an arbitrary class and get my fifth skill.

I've already used the renown reward second seal, and none of the spotpass teams available have no second seals or rift doors. ;_; What should I do?

Merchants and risen do appear and disappear from the map from time to time. I don't know if manipulating the clock works here but that is one possibility (otherwise doing it normally is just wait for the merchant to eventually spawn, in other words you're just booting up the game to check if a merchant has spawned and hoping they have the seal).

I don't know if the randomly generated streetpass teams can have them but that is another possibility.

Anteo

THere are only 2 seals that you can get for sure before ch 16: One from the renown and the other from the chapter where you meet nowi, in one of the villages.
Also, Anna can carry them if you are lucky enough (recently, after I beat ch 4 a new Anna spawned with the seal, I didnt need it so I skipped it).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
THere are only 2 seals that you can get for sure before ch 16: One from the renown and the other from the chapter where you meet nowi, in one of the villages.
Also, Anna can carry them if you are lucky enough (recently, after I beat ch 4 a new Anna spawned with the seal, I didnt need it so I skipped it).

There's more than that sayri's mission has one and I think there's another, though it may be a few chapters after.

Alright GAF -

I'm biting the bullet and buying a 3DS XL or 2DS with FE:A... my question is - I won't be using the 3D effect since it gives me a headache; how big are the 2DS screens? Are they good/ok/bad?

I neeeeeed some Fire Emblem asap and can't decide!

ohlawd

Alright GAF -

I'm biting the bullet and buying a 3DS XL or 2DS with FE:A... my question is - I won't be using the 3D effect since it gives me a headache; how big are the 2DS screens? Are they good/ok/bad?

I neeeeeed some Fire Emblem asap and can't decide!

2DS top screen is the same size as the OG 3DS; 3.5 inches, something like that. Bottom screen is smaller by a little. 2DS is the most comfortable handheld I own and I own pretty much everything.

However, I would just fork the cash and get an XL. It's also a comfortable system and I like dem bigger screens. If you're only gonna be playing FEA on it, save money and buy a 2DS.

Top Bottom