• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What's the verdict on Donnel?

Overall he's not really worth it unless you want galeforce and amplitude on children. Outside of that he's annoying to get and make useful, plus he makes the easiest part of the game (mid game easier), and he's pretty crap end/max stats unless you really like luck.

He's more than viable in normal and hard (though pretty much any character is), but not worth it on lunatic.

Hero

Overall he's not really worth it unless you want galeforce and amplitude on children. Outside of that he's annoying to get and make useful, plus he makes the easiest part of the game (mid game easier), and he's pretty crap end/max stats unless you really like luck.

He's more than viable in normal and hard (though pretty much any character is), but not worth it on lunatic.

That's what I figured. Thanks. :D

Anteo

That's what I figured. Thanks. :D

What he says only applies to Lunatic and above.
Since the ending in Hard do not have max stats, donnel can go with a wife pair up and face the final boss without extra help (+ whatever enemy reinforcment is around), plus he is relatively easy to train on hard and below (super easy to do on normal) and aptitude makes him so he catches up and posibly overcomes everyone at a nice rate. Also you dont even need to train him in dlc or spotpass, Now, you do need a bit of planning to pull this of on hard but is not complicated at all. (Current run: start of chapter 7 he is at level 10, no dlc, no random battles, no spotpass used. Hard difficulty)

On lunatic: avoid him, he is way too hard to train and his caps are bad for the ending.

Edit: I'd say he is worth it, at least in no grind runs on hard and below, as he gets good stats consistenly and will make easier the mid-late game. On the other hand if you do train people outside main stages, there are other units that will need more time (compared to donnel) to get the same stats but have better class variety and access to more skills.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What he says only applies to Lunatic and above.
Since the ending in Hard do not have max stats, donnel can go with a wife pair up and face the final boss without extra help (+ whatever enemy reinforcment is around), plus he is relatively easy to train on hard and below (super easy to do on normal) and aptitude makes him so he catches up and posibly overcomes everyone at a nice rate. Also you dont even need to train him in dlc or spotpass, Now, you do need a bit of planning to pull this of on hard but is not complicated at all. (Current run: start of chapter 7 he is at level 10, no dlc, no random battles, no spotpass used. Hard difficulty)

On lunatic: avoid him, he is way too hard to train and his caps are bad for the ending.

Edit: I'd say he is worth it, at least in no grind runs on hard and below, as he gets good stats consistenly and will make easier the mid-late game. On the other hand if you do train people outside main stages, there are other units that will need more time (compared to donnel) to get the same stats but have better class variety and access to more skills.
But it's harder to get him to level 10 in first place compared to any other unit (time that could be spent just levelling that unit), plus with stat mods items you can nullify most stat weaknesses on those characters (renown gives you a bunch). Also his class selection is pretty crap, bow knight has crappy skills which leaves him with hero or warrior, since his two pre promoted leads to the same class and villager can't promote.

He's just all round a very underwhelming character if you bother to give him xp outside of his stat gain. He's viable sure but almost any character is viable even without grinding if you set up the xp distribution accordingly.

His child makes a supremely better character than he does. Since you can reclass them near straight away don't don't have to bother levelling them much and have a better class selection. Have him pass down aptitude and any child will make a better character than him because of the aptitude stat growth. Awesome parent (outside his crappy max stat mods) terrible unit.

Anteo

But it's harder to get him to level 10 in first place compared to any other unit (time that could be spent just levelling that unit), plus with stat mods items you can nullify most stat weaknesses on those characters (renown gives you a bunch). Also his class selection is pretty crap, bow knight has crappy skills which leaves him with hero or warrior, since his two pre promoted leads to the same class and villager can't promote.

He's just all round a very underwhelming character if you bother to give him xp outside of his stat gain. He's viable sure but almost any character is viable even without grinding if you set up the xp distribution accordingly.

His child makes a supremely better character than he does. Since you can reclass them near straight away don't don't have to bother levelling them much and have a better class selection. Have him pass down aptitude and any child will make a better character than him because of the aptitude stat growth. Awesome parent (outside his crappy max stat mods) terrible unit.

The thing about Donnel is that his over average growth per level makes him resistant to rng screws (both luck and hp are guaranteed unless maxed out), plus his stats are good enough for the main campaing.The only problem are the first 6 level ups but the game gives you enough tools to do it on the main maps.

He is not harder to train than Sumia (my pk of choice, she joins so early that by the time Cordelia joins, she can solo Wyver riders) in fact, Donnel can get 4 levels in the paralogue he is recruited, enough to give him stats to survive every other chapter.

I do agree I would never use him for any dlc map or spotpass paralogue, his low caps and lack of class variety hurt him in these stages but for anyone only insterested in the main campaing he is a vey good unit and worth investing time.

Edit: As a side note, I have Lissa at level 17 exp 98 (chapter 7) and no master seal around.

Shengar

Merchants and risen do appear and disappear from the map from time to time. I don't know if manipulating the clock works here but that is one possibility (otherwise doing it normally is just wait for the merchant to eventually spawn, in other words you're just booting up the game to check if a merchant has spawned and hoping they have the seal).

I don't know if the randomly generated streetpass teams can have them but that is another possibility.

Manipulating clock on 3DS and even DS game don't work most of the time. I miss Libra's birthday the other day, and adjust the clock but the event not triggering at all.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The thing about Donnel is that his over average growth per level makes him resistant to rng screws (both luck and hp are guaranteed unless maxed out), plus his stats are good enough for the main campaing.The only problem are the first 6 level ups but the game gives you enough tools to do it on the main maps.

He is not harder to train than Sumia (my pk of choice, she joins so early that by the time Cordelia joins, she can solo Wyver riders) in fact, Donnel can get 4 levels in the paralogue he is recruited, enough to give him stats to survive every other chapter.

I do agree I would never use him for any dlc map or spotpass paralogue, his low caps and lack of class variety hurt him in these stages but for anyone only insterested in the main campaing he is a vey good unit and worth investing time.

Edit: As a side note, I have Lissa at level 17 exp 98 (chapter 7) and no master seal around.
Your comparing him to Sumia who is almost as bad to level as he is whereas there's an point to levelling Sumia.which is to give her child galeforce since it's a straight promotion. Compare him to almost anyone else that's built as a lead unit and he's worse There isn't a point to levelling donnel to me at least. Also RNG screw are in hard completely worthless I actually wish it had more of an actual affect. Hit is almost always 100%, crit is ridiculously low and might as well not be counted and dodge is better served by a speed character if you want it which Donnel certainly ain't, and often in midgame the enemy will do no damage to to you.

The guys not worth it to me not remotely even in main campaign. More often than not I let him die if I don't care about him being a parent.

Kokonoe

Banned
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnfa9CVAA

ibradTGXymU59d.jpg

FE is srs business. lol

Anteo

Your comparing him to Sumia who is almost as bad to level as he is whereas there's an point to levelling Sumia.which is to give her child galeforce since it's a straight promotion. Compare him to almost anyone else that's built as a lead unit and he's worse There isn't a point to levelling donnel to me at least. Also RNG screw are in hard completely worthless I actually wish it had more of an actual affect. Hit is almost always 100%, crit is ridiculously low and might as well not be counted and dodge is better served by a speed character if you want it which Donnel certainly ain't, and often in midgame the enemy will do no damage to to you.

The guys not worth it to me not remotely even in main campaign. More often than not I let him die if I don't care about him being a parent.

We certanly have different playstyles. I really cant understand how someone can say Sumia is hard to level up, she joins super early, meaning is much much easier to abuse the enemies to set up for kills, she has amazing starting speed so being doubled is not a problem (and more often than not she can double enemies in that stage). And enemies not having a trigger to drop everything and come after you means you can take your time to setup the perfect kills. And about comparing to anyone else, I dont see him being worse unless you have reclassed a few times, but by that point the game is probalby over and doestn even matter. He is one of the units that can break the game (and the unit to do it faster imo) and that's why in the two OTs we have joked that tunring him into a mercenary is basically awakening god (in hard and below of course)

I dont see a problem with any of these things :lol
I generally drop Ricken because by that time I already have Miriel at a higher level, but he is not bad.

Shengar

We certanly have different playstyles. I really cant understand how someone can say Sumia is hard to level up, she joins super early, meaning is much much easier to abuse the enemies to set up for kills, she has amazing starting speed so being doubled is not a problem (and more often than not she can double enemies in that stage). And enemies not having a trigger to drop everything and come after you means you can take your time to setup the perfect kills.

1. Soften up some enemies
2. Pair her with Fred
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!

Baby her hard on the chapter she appears, she will wreak havoc on the next and started to snowball after that. Sumia have crazy stats growth and she isn't really too hard to baby specially when compared to Donnel.

I generally drop Ricken because by that time I already have Miriel at a higher level, but he is not bad.

His speed sucks, almost like Stahl level of slow if not slower.

Anteo

1. Soften up some enemies
2. Pair her with Fred
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!

Baby her hard on the chapter she appears, she will wreak havoc on the next and started to snowball after that. Sumia have crazy stats growth and she isn't really too hard to baby specially when compared to Donnel.

I'm currently playing a no random batles/no spotpass/ no dlc/ no pair up/
final destination
run. Sumia is so easy to train you dont need the pair up. And yes, she always snowballs hard.

In other news, current chapter = 8, I set up kills for Nowi so she gets 3 level ups, get DOnnel to level 15, promote Lissa (20 to sage) and panne dies to a critical.
I do it again, set up the same levle ups and this time I send sumia to damage the swordman to set up for a kill for panne, I have Miriel close so if Panne misses the 80% chance Miriel finish him off, Panne misses and dies to a critical once again. Fucking rng man.

His speed sucks, almost like Stahl level of slow if not slower.

Well he has 10% less on speed than Miriel, it has never been a problem to me but I can see him getting bad speed growths.

Shengar

I'm currently playing a no random batles/no spotpass/ no dlc/ no pair up/
final destination
run. Sumia is so easy to train you dont need the pair up. And yes, she always snowballs hard.

In other news, current chapter = 8, I set up kills for Nowi so she gets 3 level ups, get DOnnel to level 15, promote Lissa (20 to sage) and panne dies to a critical.
I do it again, set up the same levle ups and this time I send sumia to damage the swordman to set up for a kill for panne, I have Miriel close so if Panne misses the 80% chance Miriel finish him off, Panne misses and dies to a critical once again. Fucking rng man.
Nowi is much harder to train due to her low level and high leveled enemy in the chapter where she appears. But when she reached, she snowballs even harder than Sumia

Well he has 10% less on speed than Miriel, it has never been a problem to me but I can see him getting bad speed growths.
Once, he has like 9 speed on level 12. I bench him and decided that Kellam is more worthed it to have a wife.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We certanly have different playstyles. I really cant understand how someone can say Sumia is hard to level up, she joins super early, meaning is much much easier to abuse the enemies to set up for kills, she has amazing starting speed so being doubled is not a problem (and more often than not she can double enemies in that stage). And enemies not having a trigger to drop everything and come after you means you can take your time to setup the perfect kills. And about comparing to anyone else, I dont see him being worse unless you have reclassed a few times, but by that point the game is probalby over and doestn even matter. He is one of the units that can break the game (and the unit to do it faster imo) and that's why in the two OTs we have joked that tunring him into a mercenary is basically awakening god (in hard and below of course)

I didn't say she was bad to level no one is bad to level on hard you can level up anyone fairly easily it's simply more involved and many cases not worth it. Sumia has a point Donnel does not.

Also drop Ricken... why... he has the best magic based stats with miriel in the game gender wise, making the best magic orientated child in the game. He's also the only good magic based father.

Either way, he's far far more useful than Donnel.

Anteo

I didn't say she was bad to level no one is bad to level on hard you can level up anyone fairly easily it's simply more involved and many cases not worth it. Sumia has a point Donnel does not.

Also drop Ricken... why... he has the best magic based stats with miriel in the game, making the best magic orientated child in the game.

Eh the ricken thing is becaue in his chapter I need a unit that can kill wyverns in one turn (besides chrom) Miriel can do that id I get her some level ups, and I dont need a second mage because Lissa will become one later. I can do the same with Virion but I rather have a mage by this point

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Eh the ricken thing is becaue in his chapter I need a unit that can kill wyverns in one turn (besides chrom) Miriel can do that id I get her some level ups, and I dont need a second mage because Lissa will become one later. I can do the same with Virion but I rather have a mage by this point

Fair enough but he gives good support stats to magic characters.

Frosteey

Neo Member
I did it.

I beat Fire Emblem: Awakening

Character spoilers I guess : (

http://i.imgur.com/09jPKOx.png

Well soon : (

Sumia and Chrom is like the my favorite support in the game because it makes the royal family too perfect but where else is Maribelle to turn : (

Truly this is Lunatic∞ mode, the final challenge

ok now that I'm back I'm gonna respond to character discussion talk:

first of all, getting Donnel those first few level ups without grinding or going really slowly is a huge waste of time, whereas I believe Sumia can just have Frederick support and start rolling (not in Lunatic, but then lolLunatic for Donnel)

also obligatory Galeforce is OP blah blah blah (and Donnel doesn't even have a mounted class other than lolBowKnight)

Also drop Ricken... why... he has the best magic based stats with miriel in the game gender wise, making the best magic orientated child in the game. He's also the only good magic based father.

Ricken has the best magic stat
when you level him up enough

.....why should anyone care, when he's so slow and has such a terrible start?
Avatar and prepromotes aside, even Tharja is a better magic user

ultimately though, Ricken>Donnel just barely, because Ricken can at least snipe flying units without any training for a few chapters (oh and Sumia>>>>>>>both of them)

Anteo

first of all, getting Donnel those first few level ups without grinding or going really slowly is a huge waste of time, whereas I believe Sumia can just have Frederick support and start rolling (not in Lunatic, but then lolLunatic for Donnel)

also obligatory Galeforce is OP blah blah blah (and Donnel doesn't even have a mounted class other than lolBowKnight)

ultimately though, Ricken>Donnel just barely, because Ricken can at least snipe flying units without any training for a few chapters (oh and Sumia>>>>>>>both of them)

Poor Tharja always get rng screwed when I play the game D=
Not a single point in skill.

Anteo

so, have any of you guys decided to do some challenge runs for fun?

or beat the game in under 40 minutes

My lowest time is around 2 hours.

My challenge runs have been either no grind runs, or no grind + no pair up runs

And I do not have games to play
because i need money

Shengar

so, have any of you guys decided to do some challenge runs for fun?

or beat the game in under 40 minutes

Planning to have no-grind no-free battles run Hard-Classic after half of my backlog burned off. Well, at this current rate I'll probably play it on my first annivessary of the game.

Shengar

what, you people grinded on your initial playthroughs? >_>

It's actually my first Fire Emblem, also I want to see many support convo so yeah. In the end I ruined my first Hard playthrough because of that, then I play Lunatic with no grind which ended up failing because I don't use Morgan. I'll try again with Hard mode this time, which is more relaxed for a playthrough.

right now, just Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U and Muramasa Rebirth on the Vita.

and in less than a week, February's legendary onslaught of gamez starts with Bravely Default. omg omg omg hype

I like this guy
Edea and Ringabel are the best

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Tharja's has 1 more mag 1 more speed -3 luck and less skill. The difference is marginal also we're talking about the only 3 characters that are good at at magic saying even tharja's better is worthless when there's only 3 decent magic characters in the game.

Donnel is bad in comparison to the majority of strength character at max stats plus you have to pamper him

Ricken is the ONLY good magic father that only makes him more useful than the majority of characters not just Donnel, since if your trying to min max, children is the way to go. Ricken is on of 3 competent mages. At endgame he's more than capable with only about 2 beating him at magic.

Donnel is an ok parent because of galeforce but endgame as a character the majority beat him. Only 2 characters beat Ricken in Magi.

Your talking about the issues of levelling up like it really matters. Chances are you won't be using him on lunatic, so we're talking about hard, hard is piss easy to level anyone up and mode is very easy. Slightly lower than average growth rates on hard means nothing. It just means etc or so level sbefore he becomes overpowered. Hell he's less annoying than Miriel to level at endgame because he has a higher defence growth rates. Which are the high that actually matters because it's far more difficult to level your lower growth rate stats.

Kokonoe

Banned
So, is Fredrick supposed to be broken? I feel that he has no flaws. Keeping him benched for now.

I'm no FE expert, but when I was playing, he dominated early game, but later game he can die pretty quickly and the other characters start overshadowing him big time. I used him mainly as a suicidal pawn in late game since he can take a few more hits than some of the weaker characters and he has more movement. If I was rushing near the end of the game, I'd have him run off to the side and let the NPCs go for him while my stronger characters go for the boss. I also used him for pairing in-game to keep myself and Chrom alive.

Kabuto

I just got this with the Walmart price-glitch gift card I got a while ago and yup it's amazing. I played for two hours straight and I love it. I've already lost two characters. Miriel died early on and she was whatever; losing Vaike hurt though since I leveled up quite a bit :'[

Tharja's has 1 more mag 1 more speed -3 luck and less skill. The difference is marginal also we're talking about the only 3 characters that are good at at magic saying even tharja's better is worthless when there's only 3 decent magic characters in the game.

Donnel is bad in comparison to the majority of strength character at max stats plus you have to pamper him

Ricken is the ONLY good magic father that only makes him more useful than the majority of characters not just Donnel, since if your trying to min max, children is the way to go. Ricken is on of 3 competent mages. At endgame he's more than capable with only about 2 beating him at magic.

Donnel is an ok parent because of galeforce but endgame as a character the majority beat him. Only 2 characters beat Ricken in Magi.

Your talking about the issues of levelling up like it really matters. Chances are you won't be using him on lunatic, so we're talking about hard, hard is piss easy to level anyone up and mode is very easy. Slightly lower than average growth rates on hard means nothing. It just means etc or so level sbefore he becomes overpowered. Hell he's less annoying than Miriel to level at endgame because he has a higher defence growth rates. Which are the high that actually matters because it's far more difficult to level your lower growth rate stats.

it's easier to level up on hard, but when rating units you don't slow down to let a unit catch up unless they have a high payoff (i.e. Sumia)
regarding Ricken vs Tharja, the latter has much higher speed after training, and has lolNosferatu and better defense anyway, on top of a better skillset
and no, chances are Ricken's potential staff utility will never come into play with Anna/Libra/etc. around

McNum

The Archer claim to fame, probably, is the Longbow. Or Double Bow in the games that it's in. The ability to attack from outside counter range is kind of neat. One boss in the game in particular can be taken out very easily like that.

But outside the specialized case, there's not much an archer does that can't be gotten better elsewhere. Bow Knights can be okay, for when your sword-guy needs a ranged backup weapon, but it's not great.

McNum

That sounds like a recipe for making enemy snipers extremely annoying
Well, as is, all enemy archers mean is that you go through each enemy and mark everyone with a bow. That's the no fly zone. All that would really change is that the no fly zone would be bigger.

Also, archers would become mage killers. Can hit them at a range that they can't hit back.

Well, as is, all enemy archers mean is that you go through each enemy and mark everyone with a bow. That's the no fly zone. All that would really change is that the no fly zone would be bigger.

Also, archers would become mage killers. Can hit them at a range that they can't hit back.

have you tried FE12 Lunatic?
it's not just the no fly zone, it's the no entry zone (except for one designated counter unit), extending that range would be hell

McNum

have you tried FE12 Lunatic?
it's not just the no fly zone, it's the no entry zone (except for one designated counter unit), extending that range would be hell
Nope, haven't played Lunatic. Or FE12, for that matter.

Well, if only a Sniper can counter at 3 range, then only a Sniper can be the Lunatic counter unit, no? That would be a new niche for that class. It'd give them an Enemy Phase thing to do, too.

Top Bottom