• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

cackhyena

I'm at chapter 11, but I'm thinking of starting over with permanent death on. I'm steam rolling every map with the few re classes I've done.

Draxal

Just to be sure, there's not a point of no return where you can accidentally save and not be able to get back to the world map?

There's none.

The game doesn't save after you beat the final boss, you can beat him as many times as you want

McNum

There's none.

The game doesn't save after you beat the final boss, you can beat him as many times as you want
Yay!

I am SO going to return and beat it up when I'm done with the DLC maps. Most onesided final boss fight in a Fire Emblem ever, I'd imagine. Maybe I should beat it with a stick, unless you HAVE to use the Falchion or something.

Oh look 2 merchants showed up on the map, maybe I can finally get that second second seal I'm so desperate for...
speedwings and the master seal one again...even without the RNG Anna can still be the troll...

MicH

So a lot of my characters have reached level 15, but I haven't promoted them yet. Should I do it now or should I wait and get those last 5 levels? Do they matter that much?

Yeah i love that guy. I gave him Cordelia as wife they make a great pair.
Kellam is seriously my favorite guy in this game. His dream is to be noticable, how can you not feel sorry for him with a dream like that :(

Oxx

I haven't played in a couple of days and I just had a sobering experience going into chapter 6 pretty cold.

I need to get my house in order.

Danneee

I think I have been grinding a bit too much. Ch. 8 and two characters second sealed at level 20, the rest (incl Donnel) is level 12 or higher. Not very challenging...

Anteo

Is 20 the max level characters can reach?

14 regular chapters, plus one epilogue?

Use a master seal to upgrade them to a new class that starts at level 1 so they can level up more. Use a secon seal to change to a diferent class that starts at level 1 too. YOu can use seconds seals as many times as you want.

Edit: Your stats mostly stay the same, so you can keep changing/upgrading classes until you reach the stat cap.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a few general questions-

Can you easily get "stuck" in the game, like could happen in the original FFT? As in, you're underleveled and saved right before a battle that you can't grind anywhere before starting?

If I lose too many of my people, can I grind a team back to playable, or do I have to restart the game?

What benefit does "pairing" have? It seems like putting two units together into a "paired" state on the same square does the same thing as having them adjacent on the map in two different squares.

Why do I sometimes get two attacks from adjacent "paired" units, but sometimes they both show up on the combat screen together but only one attacks?

Is "Hard" difficulty extremely hard like X Com's Classic difficulty? I've read that "Easy" is way too easy, but I don't want to have a huge challenge with permadeath like XCom gave me.

Anteo

Can you easily get "stuck" in the game, like could happen in the original FFT? As in, you're underleveled and saved right before a battle that you can't grind anywhere before starting?

Nope, you can always leave a stage, so if you see the enemies are too powerfull you can go grinding. Take note that there are ways to play the game with no grinding at all.

If I lose too many of my people, can I grind a team back to playable, or do I have to restart the game?

You have maps to grind, spotpass enemies that you can summon as many times as you want, random battles and dlc battles are replayable too. Sadly the playable characters from the campaing are limited, each one has a distinc personality so there are no generic characters in the main campaing. You could recruit Spotpass characters or DLC characters, those are a little generic, but they can't support and can't get any pair bonus, no conversations and they can't marry either.

What benefit does "pairing" have? It seems like putting two units together into a "paired" state on the same square does the same thing as having them adjacent on the map in two different squares.

Paired units get a bonus to stats, for example someone paired with Frederick (a really tanky unit) will get bonus to def, str and mov along with other stats.

Why do I sometimes get two attacks from adjacent "paired" units, but sometimes they both show up on the combat screen together but only one attacks?

That's called Dual Attack, is random, but the chance increase when you unlock and view the support convs of a pair, pairs with no support conv will have less chances to support each other like that.

----
Edit:
oh, interesting. so you could theoretically always improve your character?

Yes, you can also collect skills from different classes to make a huge, powerfull character. Sadly only the Avatar and his/her children have acces to every class of his/her gender. Others characters have less options. Parents can pass down their class options to their children but certain rules apply.

Edit2:

See Kincaido's Cordelia. Max stats, skills froms 3 different classes and 1 exclusive dlc skill.

She really is the best.

Also, bad speed? I think not!
WsiPQpD.jpg

Danneee

Is "Hard" difficulty extremely hard like X Com's Classic difficulty? I've read that "Easy" is way too easy, but I don't want to have a huge challenge with permadeath like XCom gave me.

Pretty sure you can't get stuck. As long as you don't actually start the fight you can quit back to the overworld (I think this applies to story missions too?).

Grinding is possible with an item you can buy.

Pairing gives stat boosts. And can be used to protect weaker units as only the main unit in the pair takes damage.

Don't know, probably some kind of stat that decides this.

Normal is pretty easy if you grind a little.

Einbroch

Banned
You technically can get stuck, I can imagine, by having all your weapons break and being completely out of money.

However, to get that stuck is an accomplishment in and of itself.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yikes, so if I lose any people in the main campaign I'm missing out on a lot of content? Seems like I should be playing with permadeath disabled then, right?

I lost the archer in the first mission he showed up in... I was assuming I could get another that I would just have to grind up. I didn't realize a replacement would be missing all sorts of bonuses and pairing stuff.

Ugh I guess I'm going to have to start over for the third time.

Anteo

But then you'd still have the Falchions so not really.

Not if your Chrom is a Sniper. And have no money for Second seals.

Yikes, so if I lose any people in the main campaign I'm missing out on a lot of content? Seems like I should be playing with permadeath disabled then, right?

I lost the archer in the first mission he showed up in... I was assuming I could get another that I would just have to grind up. I didn't realize a replacement would be missing all sorts of bonuses and pairing stuff.

Most people play Classic by reseting every time they lose a unit. I'm one of those players. A death is basically a game over for me, specially in no grind runs, as you can't train someone else to replace them. Also if you lose a woman unit, say godbye to a child (there are some exceptions). If you lose too many male units, you won't have enough pairs so some female units won't be able to have kids and you won't recruit those kids.

MicH

Sorry to ask again, but how big a deal is it to promote a unit at, say, level 15 (or 10?) instead of level 20? Are you really losing out on that many stat increases? I have a couple of units in the 15ish area and I want to promote them as I'm having trouble with chapter 11.

Thanks

Einbroch

Banned

I'm playing on Casual/Hard and it's totally fine (outside of one mission early, but I didn't have an SD card so I couldn't grind in Spotpass dudes).

I'd rather not sweat it, it's just not worth the frustration to me.

You'd be missing 5 levels worth of stat ups, so yes, it's sortof a big deal considering that later you'll start getting exp at a lower rate making reaching the stats you would've gotten with those levels a bigger grind.

Not if your Chrom is a Sniper. And have no money for Second seals.

At that point you just HAVE to be planning to get yourself stuck really. Even then there's still all of the spotpass and renown items, and if that's not enough then you're really doing it on purpose. Even then then, there are still the bonus tiles that could give you a weapon you could use.

Anteo

Sorry to ask again, but how big a deal is it to promote a unit at, say, level 15 (or 10?) instead of level 20? Are you really losing out on that many stat increases? I have a couple of units in the 15ish area and I want to promote them as I'm having trouble with chapter 11.

Thanks

The internal level of your unit will be set to 21 after the upgrade, so you will level slower. However doing this you will get the new skills early in the game, so is up to you.

At that point you just HAVE to be planning to get yourself stuck really. Even then there's still all of the spotpass and renown items, and if that's not enough then you're really doing it on purpose. Even then then, there are still the bonus tiles that could give you a weapon you could use.

Well yeah, the bonus tiles and the barracks events can get you out of that hole.

You technically can get stuck, I can imagine, by having all your weapons break and being completely out of money.

However, to get that stuck is an accomplishment in and of itself.
This reminds me one time on an FE forum we got asked for someone wanting help on the last chapter of FE7 only it was something like their brother had thrown nearly everything out and then saved...it was something like a 3 use Devil axe and everything Athos started with was all they had left weapon-wise. I think they managed to win too.

Anyway, being broke and stuck is a bit like trying to run out of fuel in the first mission of Advance Wars 2 (you get some dialogue very few people will ever see for your efforts)

NeonZ

Eh, it's not that bad. The bonus characters can't get support bonuses - extra pair up bonuses that you get when specific units that can have support conversations fight together (well, they can get some pair up bonuses with a specific skill, but will still miss some stuff) but they still get the default pair up bonuses and they often have better caps and skill selection than the initial characters you get. They're perfectly fine for the main campaign and can be useful even in the final post-game DLC.

In that case, you can still just wait for some barracks event giving an usable weapon.

MicH

So I finished chapter 11, but not without a cost. Olivia didn't make it through. My first death where I just couldn't justify restarting. So she is now gone. Was she valuable? I liked her dancing skill :/

Also Chrom married Sumia - the first marriage! How exciting.

Realyn

I've finished my Hard/Classic playthrough and will go for a Luna one now. I've read alot about child breeding(that sounds wrong ...). If I understood it correctly there are 3 important factors:

1. Passing down Skills. Understood that.
2. Stats growth in a certain class. Let's say level 1-20 as a archer gives 100 bonus hp. Father has 120% hp growth, mother 80% and the child 100%. In that case he'll recive exactly those 100 hp.
3. I'm unsure about this. If a child is born the fixed amount of bonus stats from the parents are getting added to his stats aswell, right? Let's say the father gives 5 phys and 2 defense for pairing up, are all those stats added to his child? Are they further affected by growth or something? Can't find anything on this :/.

Link Man

Banned
So I finished chapter 11, but not without a cost. Olivia didn't make it through. My first death where I just couldn't justify restarting. So she is now gone. Was she valuable? I liked her dancing skill :/

She gives you access to a pretty good character.

You let die the only Dancer in the entirety of the game (Not even DLC or Spotpass characters have dancers) and one of the best units overall, even being one of the few characters still useable on a non-grind Lunatic run.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What's the best asset/flaw combo for the avatar? I heard that having HP to be his flaw doesn't change its grow rate.

Probably flaw as luck and asset as either magic or strength depending on which you are going to lean toward. Given magic(/dark magic) is so good in this game magic/luck is probably the best choice.

And HP as a flaw does lower the growth rate, by 15.

Late answer, but whatever.

Do NOT choose HP as your flaw, especially if you plan to play at harder difficulties.

Also do NOT choose strength/magic as your flaw because it will impede Ignis, one of the best skills in the game exclusive to the Avatar and Morgan.

The best combo is speed/luck.

Anyways, just added 40 bucks to the e-shop! I am ready for that DLC, Nintendo >:)

3. I'm unsure about this. If a child is born the fixed amount of bonus stats from the parents are getting added to his stats aswell, right? Let's say the father gives 5 phys and 2 defense for pairing up, are all those stats added to his child? Are they further affected by growth or something? Can't find anything on this :/.

The base stat of the kid is averaged between the stat of his mum and dad. So the better you train the mum and dad the higher the stat at the beginning for the kid, making it easier to you to reach stat cap.

Stat cap is determined by the mum and dad, with dad giving modifier to the amount of stat the kid can reach (for example, Donnel, as great as his Aptitude may be, actually give a rather lower stat cap than other folks for kids than the other potential father). Stat growth as far as I am aware is independent to the mum and dad, meaning every kid has a specific set of growth rates in each class they're in, IIRC.

-KRS-

Got the game today and played around 2 hours or so and got to Chapter 3. I chose Normal/Classic because Classic was recommended here. Up until that point no one had died yet, but in this chapter I made some mistakes and lost one character. So I reset because I felt really bad about it. Then I lost another character the second time and said fuck it, I can't deal with this angst lol, and resetting every time just felt stupid (because why even choose Classic in that case) so I restarted the game and chose Hard/Casual instead. At least I hadn't gotten that far before restarting. Now I'm about to start chapter 3 again. I've definitely noticed a difference in difficulty on hard. I started having some trouble on the second battle this time. :p

Also it seems I can do more things from the start now that I already had them explained to me in my first savefile, like pairing up and trading items. At least I don't remember seeing those options in the first few battles the first time.

Loving the game so far. I'm just a little overwhelmed at times by all the options and choices and things to keep track of. But I'm starting to get the hang of it. It's my first Fire Emblem game but now I'm already thinking about tracking down previous games in the series.

Yaari

Started over on Normal, Hard was overkill due to this being my first FE game ever. Made sure that exp was evenly split amongst everyone, and generally had a better idea of what I was doing. So I guess it was worth it.

Draxal

Late answer, but whatever.

Do NOT choose HP as your flaw, especially if you plan to play at harder difficulties.

Also do NOT choose strength/magic as your flaw because it will impede Ignis, one of the best skills in the game exclusive to the Avatar and Morgan.

The best combo is speed/luck.

Anyways, just added 40 bucks to the e-shop! I am ready for that DLC, Nintendo >:)

Um the effect of a weak stat on ignis is minimal. Speed's the best for helping out on earlier in the game no doubt about that; however if you can get past I'd go with Magic as the str.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Started over on Normal, Hard was overkill due to this being my first FE game ever. Made sure that exp was evenly split amongst everyone, and generally had a better idea of what I was doing. So I guess it was worth it.

By this I assume you stick to a core group of people and not switching dudes in and out, yeah? Because if you don't plan on doing DLC or grinding than spreading EXP evenly is the last thing you want to do (by switching people in and out constantly, I mean)

But hmm, normal should be accommodating enough to give you more leeway on this, I guess.

Um the effect of a weak stat on ignis is minimal. Speed's the best for helping out on earlier in the game no doubt about that.

Regardless, you will make Avatar's/Morgan's exclusive skill weaker by choosing Strength/Magic as your flaw, and you limit the class you can pick up too by doing this--well, not that you can't pick them up, it's just that classes that depend on strength wouldn't benefit with strength as flaw and those that depend on magic wouldn't benefit with magic as a flaw. Considering the Avatar is the most flexible character in the entire army, I don't think choosing Strength/Magic as flaw--and thus impeding his/her class selection, is a good idea.

And speed is useful throughout the game.

Realyn

Stat cap is determined by the mum and dad, with dad giving modifier to the amount of stat the kid can reach (for example, Donnel, as great as his Aptitude may be, actually give a rather lower stat cap than other folks for kids than the other potential father). Stat growth as far as I am aware is independent to the mum and dad, meaning every kid has a specific set of growth rates in each class they're in, IIRC.

What caps are you speaking of? edit: you mean leveling from 1-20, hitting a cap stat and then respeccing, right?

I'm pretty sure about the stat growth. Read that on 2 wikis and another page. it's " (father stats grow rate+mother+child) / 3 ". If you want I can search for the links.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What caps are you speaking of? edit: you mean leveling from 1-20, hitting a cap stat and then respeccing, right?

I'm pretty sure about the stat growth. Read that on 2 wikis and another page. it's " (father stats grow rate+mother+child) / 3 ". If you want I can search for the links.

I meant the maximum stat caps. Fathers has modifiers for that, IIRC. Donnel is not that good, if I am not mistaken.

Draxal

Regardless, you will make Avatar's/Morgan's exclusive skill weaker by choosing Strength/Magic as your flaw, and you limit the class you can pick up too by doing this--well, not that you can't pick them up, it's just that classes that depend on strength wouldn't benefit with strength as flaw and those that depend on magic wouldn't benefit with magic as a flaw. Considering the Avatar is the most flexible character in the entire army, I don't think choosing Strength/Magic as flaw--and thus impeding his/her class selection, is a good idea.

And speed is useful throughout the game.

This game is so heavily favored to magic users, and there's a complete shortage of viable magic users in this game. Plus the fact that luck hurts the cap of both magic/str so it hurts ignis there (one your normal attacks hit for less compounded by the fact that ignis hits less due to the other cap being weaker).

Draxal

Haha well, just found that myself. Thanks anyway. Was what I was looking for.

edit: so let's pick the top 2 people.

A child of Lissa and Fred will receive:

1/1/2/-1/-3/3/2/2 bonus stats right?

It doesn't effect hp at the cap, everybody caps at 80; and I'm not sure at the order you're using them but in general that's correct.

I honestly think caps don't matter too much/skill class selection matters much more.

Top Bottom