• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Anybody here getting this? If they release the English version I will get it with all the force in a 10 Richter Earthquake. I very much doubt it though :(

Fire Emblem Awakening Drama CD released on April 24th for 3000 yen:

This Drama CD could bring the shipping wars to a whole new level. Amazing.

Probably, people have complained normal is too easy.

People have also complained that hard is too easy though (and really, it is).

Not counting DLC or postgame spotpass maps, the game pretty much has an inverse difficulty curve really. Mostly because of how overpowered you get with time.

game is seriously making me crave for another PoR playthrough. Anyone wanna do a GAF Plays with me in a near future?

I've had it since pretty much release and still haven't finished. I was planning to see if I could run it on Dolphin on my laptop and then do a fresh playthrough, so maybe.

Draxal

Not counting DLC or postgame spotpass maps, the game pretty much has an inverse difficulty curve really. Mostly because of how overpowered you get with time.

I honestly think the veteran skill is what breaks the game. If you take that off the main character would be a decent unit, but with it's gamebreaking because he's the first character you get.

Probably, people have complained normal is too easy.

People have also complained that hard is too easy though (and really, it is).

Hard becomes a lot more frustrating if you compulsively try to keep all your recruited units at about the same level.

I honestly think the veteran skill is what breaks the game. If you take that off the main character would be a decent unit, but with it's gamebreaking because he's the first character you get.

It depends on whether you use Pairing Up a lot. I'm up to Chapter 7 on Hard and have used that ability maybe 3 times.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hard becomes a lot more frustrating if you compulsively try to keep all your recruited units at about the same level.

Well, to be fair, most games are probably frustrating if you play them incorrectly ;)

And I have been seriously thinking about hitting up PoR + RD. I need to finish FE12 instead if I am going to play another FE game though. Wonder how those work on Dolphin.

Shahadan

My last PoR+RD playthrough was on dolphin, works pretty well except for sound issues sometimes for RD. I had the music playing twice with a delay and sometimes every sound file from the game started to play one after the other randomly. Was kinda spooky the first time :lol:
Didn't bother to find how to fix that though

And savestates are godly!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Now there's way too many previously fought battles to go through to bother saving him. :p

Eh, maybe I'll include him if I do a 2nd run.

I'm thinking about the game kind of differently. An A team of the main cast I want to use for story then a B team for the occasional skirmish (which I only do for the money...eventually I should have a Leifs Blade and high enough luck to enjoy that). Occasionally one team will apear in the other but I think that keeps grinding the story cast down while being able to level up the other units.

As for pair up. I think its the support bonuses that break it. Maybe if dual strike/guard were skills (or maybe even like how they work in say, Super Robot Taisen OG) and the supports were more GBA like in stats given it would be slightly less imbalanced.

I do like the pair concept of being able to compliment a units weaknesses or argument their strengths.

I think I know the AI's routine. It has priorities.

1. Can I theoretically cause a Game Over? Odds don't matter.
So if Chrom is at 21 HP and you have three enemies with a 20% chance of doing 7 damage each, they WILL go for it.

If you have to defend a spot, don't know if there's a mission like that in this game, any enemy will rush it if they can.

2. Can I kill someone? Odds don't matter.
Same as above.

3. Can I hit someone that can't hit me?
Fairly sane plan, really. Haven't checked if you can abuse it by unequipping a high defense character's weapon like you could in Path of Radiance.

4. Who can I hurt the most?
If all else fails... hurt someone. Amusingly if the most damage an enemy can do is still 0 damage, it will do it. This, by the way, makes it more likely for the AI to target a Myrmidon than a Knight. Even if the Myrmidon is much harder to hit.

5. Can't hurt anyone? Move or stay put.
Depending on if the enemy is mobile or not. Risen will rush, other units may or may not.

There are some enemies ere and there with special coding, like thieves, enemies that run away, or need to talk to Chrom or something like that, but that's pretty much it. Avoiding danger isn't part of the AI, mostly. It's extremely reckless. And spiteful. It doesn't play to WIN, it plays to make you LOSE.

Each series of FE games has its own AI quirks, but this is generally how it goes.

The DS games were a bit different.

Are they Marth? -> Are they squishy? -> Kill squishy

Seriously guys, stop impaling yourselves on Linde when there's a low-level guy I need to train.

McNum

This game kind of makes me a little paralyzed with indecision. So many options. The pairings and marriages, the classes and reclasses, the fights to pick on the map...

I'm looking at my avatar, he's probably the strongest unit in the army right now, maybe excluding Anna, and he's nearing 20, so do I Master Seal him to grandmaster or do I reclass him to something else to grab some skills first? I'm not planning on going to DLC crazy until I've done the story, but still, Golden Gaffe's coming up in a few days, so I can afford more Second Seals easily soon. But there are so many nice skills to pick up. Armsthrift, Lifetaker, Swordfaire, Tomefaire, Astra, Lethality, Sol, Luna, Rally Spectrum, Ignis... And I'm probably missing some good ones, too. I think I want him to end as a Grandmaster or Dark Knight. But Grandmaster just seems... right.

At least some of the other characters have a fairly straightforward path. Thinking Lissa going War Cleric for Renewal, then jumping to Dark Flier (maybe through Pegasus Knight first) for Galeforce or Valkyrie for Dual Support+. Was thinking Sage, but they don't get much useful skill-wise for her. Maybe as an end-class, I'd like her to be able to use staves. Or maybe Falcon Knight, but then she has to learn more weapons.

You have to be 20/20 to jump directly from War Cleric to Dark Flier, right?

Oh, can the children of the Avatar, in case there's a sibling, all use every non-special or gender locked class in the game?

Draxal

You have to be 20/20 to jump directly from War Cleric to Dark Flier, right?

Oh, can the children of the Avatar, in case there's a sibling, all use every non-special or gender locked class in the game?

Just have to be 10 promoted to go from promoted class to promoted class.

Lissa's best end game class is probably Sage, because it has the highest magic cap and that's her strong point.

And yes, that's why the Avatar is the best parent in the the game (also because you can give the avatar the perfect bonus stat allocation).

Kurtofan

Yes, normal would probably be a bit too easy for you. Casual/Classic is up to you.

I wish there was a mode that Game Overs you when you lose a character.

Really frustating to have to wait until your other characters level up and stuff :(

Ennemies tend to attack my unit paired up with the healer, I think. Too bad she's with my most powerful unit now.

Sometimes I forget to permute, "haha come here you bastards, wait no Shiiiiiiit"

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Probably flaw as luck and asset as either magic or strength depending on which you are going to lean toward. Given magic(/dark magic) is so good in this game magic/luck is probably the best choice.

And HP as a flaw does lower the growth rate, by 15.

McNum

I wish there was a mode that Game Overs you when you lose a character.

Really frustating to have to wait until your other characters level up and stuff :(
Then don't wait. Press L+R+Start and reset back to the main menu. Soft reset and Fire Emblem. Two things that have gone together for a long time.

Chrom

Anybody here getting this? If they release the English version I will get it with all the force in a 10 Richter Earthquake. I very much doubt it though :(

Oh man, I forgot this came out today. I want to import it, but I don't think I will. I'm looking forward to more details from people who get this, though.

MicH

Just recruited Anna. That map was a biggie, many enemies, too! I didn't have any problems though. Got every treasure except one as an enemy Thief snatched it and fled :( When I finished the map I suddenly had FOUR Anna merchants on the world map. Two had Master Seals, one had Second Seal. Bought em all :D

I really like Anna and Libra. They just destroy everything in their way. Haven't used Tharja yet. And I haven't used Gaius at all :( I feel bad

Has this comic been posted before? If so, my apologies in advance...

cad-20130206-77d04.png

Makes me wonder about some of you sometimes...

I wanted to use Gaius as I share a similar sweet tooth, but he came at a bad time when he didn't have much of a role to fill, ah well maybe next playthrough.

Damn all of my marriages are giving me maps that are too tough for me to tackle and the current strory chapters are really piling in the hard hitting silver weapons, at this point the difference between a unit alone and a paired up duo with high support is feeling pretty significant.

Omnicent

I wanted to use Gaius as I share a similar sweet tooth, but he came at a bad time when he didn't have much of a role to fill, ah well maybe next playthrough.

Damn all of my marriages are giving me maps that are too tough for me to tackle and the current strory chapters are really piling in the hard hitting silver weapons, at this point the difference between a unit alone and a paired up duo with high support is feeling pretty significant.

He has the roll of passing on the Dark Flier DNA to the daughters of mothers that do not have access to it.

Well, to be fair, most games are probably frustrating if you play them incorrectly ;)

Surprised to hear you say that. Fire Emblem games encourage you to develop relationships across their large casts of unique characters; how else to build support for them all but keep them all at viable levels throughout the game?

Anteo

Surprised to hear you say that. Fire Emblem games encourage you to develop relationships across their large casts of unique characters; how else to build support for them all but keep them all at viable levels throughout the game?

Maybe we played different games? The FE games I know encourage me to play with a selected group of characters from the main cast. Having all of them viable all the times? Nope.

CorvoSol

Has this comic been posted before? If so, my apologies in advance...

Makes me wonder about some of you sometimes...

He totally would go for the cardboard love interest, wouldn't he?

ANYWAY, I just unlocked waifu class last night. Do I have to do that mission every time I want to get a bouqet and change a girl's class to waifu?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
He totally would go for the cardboard love interest, wouldn't he?

ANYWAY, I just unlocked waifu class last night. Do I have to do that mission every time I want to get a bouqet and change a girl's class to waifu?

Yep, same all the other DLC items.

And I keep getting database errors, annoying.

MicH

Lost Kellam and Nowi in chapter 11. So restarted (didn't complete it). I love Kellams dialogue when he dies ("They... saw me?" hahaha). Mn that chapter is hard. Enemies spawning on forts? Like all the t ime? Damn it :(

Top Bottom