• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Sleepy

As to the support question: Is
Ricken
not compatible with
Chrom
?

Just dropped from the mailhatch! I should play it with permadeath right? My first FE game.

As a first time player as well, I say no. You will make mistakes which will get your characters killed: 100% certain. I would have three characters left if I was playing Classic. Play Casual first, then Classic on the second playthrough.

McNum

Because I spend way too long thinking about the game rather than playing the game, I took a look at Serenes Forest to see what the different children can inherit. There are some interesting choices here, but one that stuck out to me was Nowi/Donnel. If what I think will work works, this will make for a crazy Nah.

So, might as well just ask: Does Underdog work as well as I think it might for a Manakete? Manakete is a base class, so if I at the end of things toss a Second Seal her way to roll back to Manakete 1, she'll be triggering Underdog a lot, right? And without losing the Manakete stat caps?

I was thinking of pairing those two up, anyway. They were training partners in the DLC when I first got them, and without having started their supports yet, I have a feeling they'll be funny together.

Draxal

Because I spend way too long thinking about the game rather than playing the game, I took a look at Serenes Forest to see what the different children can inherit. There are some interesting choices here, but one that stuck out to me was Nowi/Donnel. If what I think will work works, this will make for a crazy Nah.

So, might as well just ask: Does Underdog work as well as I think it might for a Manakete? Manakete is a base class, so if I at the end of things toss a Second Seal her way to roll back to Manakete 1, she'll be triggering Underdog a lot, right? And without losing the Manakete stat caps?

I was thinking of pairing those two up, anyway. They were training partners in the DLC when I first got them, and without having started their supports yet, I have a feeling they'll be funny together.

It does, it's why I had Donnel marry Nowi, just becaues he's a peg knight giver and well it's one of her less creepy options.

McNum

It does, it's why I had Donnel marry Nowi, just becaues he's a peg knight giver and well it's one of her less creepy options.
Oh, my. I found a good one, then. Yay. Nah is seriously going to be a badass dragon with that. Although I'm not sure if that would fit the description of "Underdog". Stat capped dragon vs. Level 2 Soldier. Clearly the dragon needs an extra advantage.

And yeah, Nowi is... weird. She's hilarious, though, but weird. I don't think seeing a dragon do a loop while giggling like a little girl after brutally killing a man will ever look right. It will probably never stop being funny, either. Actually, I was thinking more of Donnel's story in this. Village gets attacked by bandits, he sets out on a grand adventure to fight for what's right and ends up marrying a dragon. Classic fairy tale there. I mean it was that or Lissa, and i still haven't figured out what to do with her.

Speaking of funny lines, I need to do something with Kellam. Not sure what yet, but he's amazing. Had him yell "LOOK AT ME!!!" while doing a critical hit, then calmly going "Good." while looking at the slain enemy. Is there anyone in the army who isn't a little unhinged?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, a question, if I have some children quests activated now, if I level their parents to get new skills, will the children still get those skills?

McNum

I think the child's skills are only inherited when you actually go to the map. Until then they don't really exist yet.

NeonZ

So, a question, if I have some children quests activated now, if I level their parents to get new skills, will the children still get those skills?

Yes, you can even enter in the chapter, don't start the battle, go back to the world map through the menu, and the child's stats still will be updated if you level up their parents before going back there again.

Draxal

Ya, the only skill that you hve to kinda worry about passing is galeforce to a male kid. The male exclusive skills aren't great or just can't be passed down (dlc skill agressor). I liked passing down dual support + to Gerome/Laurent, but it's not really important.

Antiwhippy

Yes, you can even enter in the chapter, don't start the battle, go back to the world map through the menu, and the child's stats still will be updated if you level up their parents before going back there again.

Alright, awesome. I thought I just fucked over the

How do I give donnel galeforce? I keep hearing that he can give people gale force.

Jintor

Man Anti you're so far ahead of me. I did stop to play Bioshock Infinite, mull over Revengeance a little more and play a little Metro 2034 though. Oh, and read a book.

I guess I should progress the main story in FE a little more...

NeonZ

Alright, awesome. I thought I just fucked over the avatar's child.

How do I give donnel galeforce? I keep hearing that he can give people gale force.

Donnel can't get Galeforce, but if his child is female, she'll inherit the Pegasus Knight class line from him and will be able to get Galeforce herself even if her mother doesn't have access to the Pegasus line.

Using the Nowi example mentioned before, Nowi herself doesn't have the Pegasus Knight class line, but Nah with Donnel as her father will be able to class change to Dark Flier to get Galeforce. Gaius and the male avatar are the only other males who can pass Pegasus Knight to female children who usually wouldn't have the class.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Alright, awesome. I thought I just fucked over the

He doesn't get Galeforce himself, but can pass it on to Tharja, Nowi, or Sully's kid. They usually can't Galeforce unless they habe the Avatar, Donnel, or Gaius as father.

Antiwhippy

Man Anti you're so far ahead of me. I did stop to play Bioshock Infinite, mull over Revengeance a little more and play a little Metro 2034 though. Oh, and read a book.

I guess I should progress the main story in FE a little more...

It's the only thing a 2 hour+ transit everyday is good for, trust me.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Link Man

Banned
Oh, my. I found a good one, then. Yay. Nah is seriously going to be a badass dragon with that. Although I'm not sure if that would fit the description of "Underdog". Stat capped dragon vs. Level 2 Soldier. Clearly the dragon needs an extra advantage.

And yeah, Nowi is... weird. She's hilarious, though, but weird. I don't think seeing a dragon do a loop while giggling like a little girl after brutally killing a man will ever look right. It will probably never stop being funny, either. Actually, I was thinking more of Donnel's story in this. Village gets attacked by bandits, he sets out on a grand adventure to fight for what's right and ends up marrying a dragon. Classic fairy tale there. I mean it was that or Lissa, and i still haven't figured out what to do with her.

Speaking of funny lines, I need to do something with Kellam. Not sure what yet, but he's amazing. Had him yell "LOOK AT ME!!!" while doing a critical hit, then calmly going "Good." while looking at the slain enemy. Is there anyone in the army who isn't a little unhinged?
Have you met Henry yet? Talking about unhinged...

McNum

Have you met Henry yet? Talking about unhinged...
No, but I met Tharja. I mean I guess it's appropriate for a Dark Mage to be that intentionally creepy, but still...

I'm still only at chapter 11. Should probably get that one done soon. Just saved an Anna from some Risen. Interesting that you can end up with that combination. You get free stuff for saving her.

How long is the game? Considering there's permadeath I'm guessing fairly short but highly repayable??
Playing on hard/classic I got a solid 60 hours (activity log time) out of my first playthrough. That's with most of the paralogues but without any of the online stuff or DLC.

Anteo

So do the children also inherit the stats?

Their base stats are calculated from the stats of the parent, so their missions get easier as you train the parents. Their stat cap modifier is a sum of the modifiers of the parents +1. The only exception is if you marry a child unit, Morgan won't have the extra +1 on his/her caps.

Antiwhippy

Their base stats are calculated from the stats of the parent, so their missions get easier as you train the parents. Their stat cap modifier is a sum of the modifiers of the parents +1. The only exception is if you marry a child unit, Morgan won't have the extra +1 on his/her caps.

Wow, the children sound like they could be insanely powerful.

Anteo

Parents can have a negative modifier on stat caps so if you get two of those together, you may get a weaker child unit instead =P. (not exactly, but some stats would get the same cap or maybe a lower cap)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

They are. There's really no reason to use most of the first gen characters once you get them aside from the fact they might not be immediately ready to fight.

Their own base stats will drag down the average so they won't be as strong as their parents right away.

Anteo

Shit, so do I. I cannot believe I haven't done this yet.

Also, is the entire Golden Pack worth buying? EXPonential Growth, Inifinte Regalia, Golden Gaffe.

If you plan to buy the challenge maps, yes. It makes training easier. I wouldn't use it for the main campaing though, you can get overleveled pretty quickly.

-Horizon-

Shit, so do I. I cannot believe I haven't done this yet.

Also, is the entire Golden Pack worth buying? EXPonential Growth, Inifinte Regalia, Golden Gaffe.
Exponential growth is good for leveling those characters you never use. Golden Gaffe if you want to never worry about being unable to buy anything ever again

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Exponential growth is good for leveling those characters you never use. Golden Gaffe if you want to never worry about being unable to buy anything ever again

And Infinite Regalia for legendary weapons and the silver card, which ties in nicely with Golden Gaffe making that money you earn last even longer.

Sleepy

On my first buy I plan on picking up the Golden Pack and any map with items/classes/skills. I may leave the character only maps alone (for now), unless they are really worth it.

Anteo

Rogues and Reedemers pack is kind of hard, with many units near the stat cap and with some stats capped. So check that pack too. The Challenge pack is out on NA, but currently only 2 maps are playable, I guess the 3rd one will be playable this Thursday.

Top Bottom