• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Spike

Okay. I've been grinding for a while now, and I have gotten all my units up to level 20. I promoted Chrom to Great Lord, Sumia to Dark Flier, and Robin to Grandmaster.

Now, Chrom and Sumia are married, and I am at the chapter where I should get their first child, Lucina. If I want her to get the Galeforce skill, I need to grind Sumia to level 15, right? And for Chrom's Aether skill, I need to get him to level 5? Then when I complete the chapter, and Lucina is added, she will have these skills?

Am I doing this correctly? Thanks for the help.

Glix

I got the US version a little while back. Playing on hard.

Game is SO GOOD. I'm on chapter 10, have a bunch of guys promoted.

Intelligent Systems is one of the most underrated devs in the world. I hope N knows what it has in them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay. I've been grinding for a while now, and I have gotten all my units up to level 20. I promoted Chrom to Great Lord, Sumia to Dark Flier, and Robin to Grandmaster.

Now, Chrom and Sumia are married, and I am at the chapter where I should get their first child, Lucina. If I want her to get the Galeforce skill, I need to grind Sumia to level 15, right? And for Chrom's Aether skill, I need to get him to level 5? Then when I complete the chapter, and Lucina is added, she will have these skills?

Am I doing this correctly? Thanks for the help.

Chrom's female children will get Aether regardless of whether or not Chrom has the skill. Same with his male child and Rightful King (if he gets one, he won't in your case).

And Lucina can get Galeforce regardless since she will inherit Pegasus Knight (and thus Dark Flier) from Sumia. If you want her to inherit it and have it right away you need to get Sumia to 15 and make sure it's the last skill on her list though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, I think I got the short end of the stick when it comes to mirial's magic growth, lv 13 and it's still only lv 11.

McNum

Okay, someone check my logic here...

My Avatar is a Tactician 20. If I were to upgrade to Grandmaster, I would gain Rally Spectrum and Ignis for skills. However, while Rally Spectrum is nice, Ignis will have a bad activation rate and at best do 5-6 bonus damage when it does as I only have the stats from one base class yet. If I got to another base class, I can run it just to 10 to get both skills, then Master Seal or Second Seal to go to another class.

So, the question is, do I go for Mercenary to get Armsthrift and possibly Sol off Hero, or Myrmidon to get Vantage and eventually Astra off Swordmaster? Thinking of jumping to Dark Knight and then back to Grandmaster when I start the DLC grinds, but that's not the issue just yet.

I'm thinking it might be best to get the base class skills in two different classes before promoting, due to EXP loss, is that true?

I still need to get far enough in the game to actually have a store with Master and Second Seals, of course, but I think that won't be too far off now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, someone check my logic here...

My Avatar is a Tactician 20. If I were to upgrade to Grandmsater, I would gain Rally Spectrum and Ignis for skills. However, while Rally Spectrum is nice, Ignis will have a bad activation rate and at best do 5-6 bonus damage when it does as I only have the stats from one base class yet. If I got to another base class, I can run it just to 10 to get both skills, then Master Seal or Second Seal to go to another class.

So, the question is, do I go for Mercenary to get Armsthrift and possibly Sol off Hero, or Myrmidon to get Vantage and eventually Astra off Swordmaster? Thinking of jumping to Dark Knight and then back to Grandmaster when I start the DLC grinds, but that's not the issue just yet.

I'm thinking it might be best to get the base class skills in two different classes before promoting, due to EXP loss, is that true?

I still need to get far enough in the game to actually have a store with Master and Second Seals, of course, but I think that won't be too far off now.

I'd say you have Rally Spectrum and Ignis completely backwards. Skill% rate is a good activation rate, the only things higher are Vengeance (2x skill) and Armsthrift (2x luck). And with your avatar's good magic/strength growth it does quite a bit of extra damage.

Rally Spectum is the best rally skill by far, but you probably don't want your avatar spamming that if they are one of your strongest characters. Better to have them on the offensive rather than playing support.

Going to Merc -> Hero is not bad though, since Armsthrift and Sol are both great skills. And your avatar really has no reason to bother with Dark Knight since Sol is better than Lifetaker, and having both is redundant. And it's not really a great class either, I'd rather use Grandmaster for swords+magic.

Vantage is situationally very useful, but outside certain setups I'd say it's not worth it. Getting at least one -faire skill for your primary weapon type is though.

Sleepy

im1mKY4dW1wT1.jpg

I just shat bricks.

Draxal

I'd say you have Rally Spectrum and Ignis completely backwards. Skill% rate is a good activation rate, the only things higher are Vengeance (2x skill) and Armsthrift (2x luck). And with your avatar's good magic/strength growth it does quite a bit of extra damage.

Rally Spectum is the best rally skill by far, but you probably don't want your avatar spamming that if they are one of your strongest characters. Better to have them on the offensive rather than playing support.

Going to Merc -> Hero is not bad though, since Armsthrift and Sol are both great skills. And your avatar really has no reason to bother with Dark Knight since Sol is better than Lifetaker, and having both is redundant. And it's not really a great class either, I'd rather use Grandmaster for swords+magic.

Ayup, the only negative of Sol/Ignis is that they fight each other. Meaning you would want to have one or the other as your active skill, not both at the same time. It's the only reason I would take lifetaker to complete ignis.

And rally spectrum's not really worth it until you need to make a rally bot later on, which you definitely don't need to beat the main story.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ayup, the only negative of Sol/Ignis is that they fight each other. Meaning you would want to have one or the other as your active skill, not both at the same time. It's the only reason I would take lifetaker to complete ignis.

And rally spectrum's not really worth it until you need to make a rally bot later on, which you definitely don't need to beat the main story.

Sol has higher priority than Ignis so having both doesn't hurt. If Ignis took priority I'd say avoid using both.

And that's just assuming it's a temporary deal, there are much better setups you can have than two active attack skills.

Aexact

I cranked out a quick and dirty review. Not my finest, but whatever. Perspective from a SRPG fan, but Fire Emblem newbie.

Awakening does have great ease of play.

In regards to the story, it seems to combine lots of elements of previous Fire Emblems as a homage or callback or fanservice (there was an interview that stated Awakening was meant to be an all-stars of what people like about Fire Emblem) and as a result, it feels a bit unfocused or odd. It did feel as if the previous series had more nuance to their intrigue and while the series always had an anime bent, Awakening's huge list of supports seems to amp that aspect up a bit too.

McNum

Vantage is situationally very useful, but outside certain setups I'd say it's not worth it. Getting at least one -faire skill for your primary weapon type is though.

Sol has higher priority than Ignis so having both doesn't hurt. If Ignis took priority I'd say avoid using both.

And that's just assuming it's a temporary deal, there are much better setups you can have than two active attack skills.
Whoa... So, going Tactician 20 -> Mercenary 10 -> Hero 10 -> Swordmaster 15 -> Grandmaster 15 might be good?

That would get me... Veteran, Solidarity, Armsthrift, Patience, Sol, Astra, Swordfaire, Ignis, and Rally Spectrum in that order.

That does neglect the magic side of Grandmaster a bit, but the swordfighter part will be deadly. Having Sol, Astra, and Ignis may be overkill. Can you activate Ignis or Sol off an Astra hit, by the way?

I was thinking of using Rally Spectrum to help grind up the lowbies a bit. +4 to everything is worth a lot of levels in power. Even a puny level 1 can be dangerous like that.

This game can get so complicated in leveling up if you start thinking too hard about it... and that's before considering children and inheritance... I should start making notes. Doesn't the 3DS come with an ingame notetaking app, come to think of it?

Draxal

Awakening does have great ease of play.

In regards to the story, it seems to combine lots of elements of previous Fire Emblems as a homage or callback or fanservice (there was an interview that stated Awakening was meant to be an all-stars of what people like about Fire Emblem) and as a result, it feels a bit unfocused or odd. It did feel as if the previous series had more nuance to their intrigue and while the series always had an anime bent, Awakening's huge list of supports seems to amp that aspect up a bit too.

For the story, I think it's weak due to shoehorning the kid aspect (which people love in general so I understand). And I think it's rushed in the second half of the game.

However, the nuance/intrigue in fire emblem happens more in cutscenes in general, which is one of his complaints, that the story interfees with the gameplay and not complements it.

Chapter 10 in this game is a good example of story complementing the gameplay ... 10 spoiler
the post Emma battle
. As most of the story happens while you are in battle.

Anteo

Whoa... So, going Tactician 20 -> Mercenary 10 -> Hero 10 -> Swordmaster 15 -> Grandmaster 15 might be good?

That would get me... Veteran, Solidarity, Armsthrift, Patience, Sol, Astra, Swordfaire, Ignis, and Rally Spectrum in that order.

That does neglect the magic side of Grandmaster a bit, but the swordfighter part will be deadly. Having Sol, Astra, and Ignis may be overkill. Can you activate Ignis or Sol off an Astra hit, by the way?

I was thinking of using Rally Spectrum to help grind up the lowbies a bit. +4 to everything is worth a lot of levels in power. Even a puny level 1 can be dangerous like that.

This game can get so complicated in leveling up if you start thinking too hard about it... and that's before considering children and inheritance... I should start making notes. Doesn't the 3DS come with an ingame notetaking app, come to think of it?

I don't see how that neglects the Magic side, aside of not having Tomefairy but that's just one skill.
And no you can't get Ignis or Sol off an Astra hit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Sol, Astra, and Ignis would be redundant. I'd just use Sol out of those, along with Armsthrift and Swordfaire. Eventually Limit Break and Aggressor if you're going in with DLC.

Or maybe some defensive passives. Lot of routes you can go with the avatar due to having so many class options.

My avatar is currently a lulzy critical-bot, a Sorcerer abusing a forged Ruin tome with Vantage + Vengeance + Wrath + Gamble + Armsthrift. With support bonuses I can get 100% critical hit rates on enemies with lower luck.

McNum

Sol, Astra, and Ignis would be redundant. I'd just use Sol out of those, along with Armsthrift and Swordfaire. Eventually Limit Break and Aggressor if you're going in with DLC.

Or maybe some defensive passives. Lot of routes you can go with the avatar due to having so many class options.
Yeah... it's probably why I'm so confused with it. So many options, but only five slots to use. Four if you count Limit Breaker.

I suppose going for a -breaker skill, possibly Lancebreaker to reverse the Weapon Triangle, or Aegis and Pavise might be worth looking at. On the other hand it's the Avatar's big advantage, the versatility. I would kind of like the Avatar and Morgan to be different. But that will depend a lot on the mother...

Anyway, that's long term planning, and I'm not nearly that far yet. So, I'm just going to ask a much simpler question:

Progress: Chapter 11 completed.
Avatar: Str 19, Mag 13, Skl 11, Spd 22(!), Lck 8. Def 11, Res 7.
Second Seal from Tactician 20 to Mercenary 1. Go or no-go?

Anteo

Yeah... it's probably why I'm so confused with it. So many options, but only five slots to use. Four if you count Limit Breaker.

I suppose going for a -breaker skill, possibly Lancebreaker to reverse the Weapon Triangle, or Aegis and Pavise might be worth looking at. On the other hand it's the Avatar's big advantage, the versatility. I would kind of like the Avatar and Morgan to be different. But that will depend a lot on the mother...

Anyway, that's long term planning, and I'm not nearly that far yet. So, I'm just going to ask a much simpler question:

Morgan will have access to all of the classes, including gender exclusive (except dancer) so it doesn't matter who her mother is. The only thing the mother can affect are the caps, but even then, she should be as versatile if not more than MU.

McNum

Morgan will have access to all of the classes, including gender exclusive (except dancer) so it doesn't matter who her mother is. The only thing the mother can affect are the caps, but even then, she should be as versatile if not more than MU.
It matters if the mother is
Tiki
, no? Unless there's a personality or awesome compatibility thing happening, it's the plan. A wing of dragons! Nowi, Nah,
Tiki
, and Morgan taking wing!

Not sure if that name is a spoiler or not, but I'm not taking any chances.

Draxal

My str+mag- avatar is using aggressor/limitbreaker/swordfaire/sol/armsthrift, he's currently a grandmaster and uses a tome as a backup, as my current team is pretty phsyical damage aligned. He actually uses Ignis more often instead of sol but I think I had sol on for a certain battle.

It matters if the mother is
Tiki
, no? Unless there's a personality or awesome compatibility thing happening, it's the plan. A wing of dragons! Nowi, Nah,
Tiki
, and Morgan taking wing!

Not sure if that name is a spoiler or not, but I'm not taking any chances.

Yeah, morgan would be a manakete if done that way. The only problem with that is he's not using his superior genes on a second child, but that's really trivial.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Reclassing isn't like promoting, since it always adds [current level-1]/2 to your internal level. Whether your level 10 base class or level 20 promoted class (promoted classes add +20 to the displayed level though). So doing it earlier just means it will add less to your internal level.

And the internal level is probably what you would think it is, your experience gain is your internal level + displayed level (+ 20 if you're promoted). Reclassing ain't free!

So yeah, you would be fine reclassing now. Or anytime, really. Earlier is better if you're going for skills since it impacts the internal level less.

Edit: Huh. I guess I just made things more complicated. tl;dr: reclassing ASAP once you get the skill you want form a class is better than waiting a while and getting more levels.

McNum

Yeah, morgan would be a manakete if done that way. The only problem with that is he's not using his superior genes on a second child, but that's really trivial.

There's a time for power and there's a time for style. And going four dragons is style, not power.

Reclassing isn't like promoting, since it always adds [current level-1]/2 to your internal level. Whether your level 10 base class or level 20 promoted class (promoted classes add +20 to the displayed level though). So doing it earlier just means it will add less to your internal level.

And the internal level is probably what you would think it is, your experience gain is your internal level + displayed level (+ 20 if you're promoted). Reclassing ain't free!

So yeah, you would be fine reclassing now. Or anytime, really. Earlier is better if you're going for skills since it impacts the internal level less.

Right, seems like I must unlearn what I have learned about Fire Emblem. Reclasssing can be done before 20 and in a lot of cases, it's encouraged in Awakening. Grab the skills in the base class and if you're not looking for any of the promoted classes in that tree, then change ASAP to avoid wasting EXP. Even if EXP is infinite in Awakening, it still takes time to earn.

In all the other Fire Emblems I've played it's "Do NOT promote until level 20!" In Awakening... that answer varies. It also makes Second Seals a lot more valuable.

I guess that means I should also just throw a Master Seal Lissa's way despite her only being level 16. Get her that axe so she can be on the path for Renewal? Or since I'm planning on going Cleric -> War Cleric with her, the usual rule of getting to 20 first applies?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, this game still has promotions and those work the same way. Using a master seal early hurts less in this game due to grinding and unlimited levels/exp, but you still skip levels if you use a master seal before level 20. If your stats are maxed it doesn't matter since those levels are a waste of time and experience anyway, but if they aren't you're better off waiting.

And by skipping levels, the game assumes a promoted unit is 20 plus their displayed level, even if you do promote at level 16. And those 4 skipped levels will be counted toward your internal level when you reclass. So it hurts your exp gain both immediately and in the long run.

Edit: Basically, what you said - promotions use the old FE logic, second seals are a new thing with new logic.

Or you could Marry Nah. :)

As little sense as it makes, Nah would feel a lot less dirty than Nowi just because she doesn't act like a 9 year old kid.

McNum

Right, so Lissa and Chrom get to go all the way to 20 since they're promoting into the same tree.

Then there's Vaike. Warrior looks a bit... meh. Hero has Sol, but I'm thinking he should duck into Barbarian for Despoil, too. Teach's got tenure, let's make it pay. Then Berserker for Axefaire and back to Hero for Sol.

And this is something to after for every single unit... Going to be a mess of logistic fun.

Or you could Marry Nah. :)
Didn't think of that. The Avatar can marry the kids? Um... huh.
So that's what it looks like to have the Avatar tell causality to sit down, shut up and go cry in the corner?
I still think
Tiki
would be more fun, for another plot reason.

Looks like Golden Gaffe is coming out tomorrow. Or maybe in just seven hours, actually, here. How difficult is that map? I mean on one hand abusing gold will make the main story easy, but on the other, not having to worry about money for Master Seals and Second Seals, not to mention Dragon and Beast stones, eventually, is awesome.

It's easy since all the enemies are running away and you can choose who to kill. You can kill off the level 1 thieves if you are still weak and ignore all the level 20 Levin Sword Tricksters. The only thing that this will effect is the amount of gold you'll get but you can always just keep doing it over and over again.

Frost_Ace

Do the support statistical bonuses only show up when the units are paired up? Not when the units are within three spaces of each other like the older games?

Moonlight

Banned
Do the support statistical bonuses only show up when the units are paired up? Not when the units are within three spaces of each other like the older games?
They can be paired or directly adjacent of each other. Make sure that a support can actually exist between the two characters, though.

McNum

To fulfill the prophecy?
Spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/UKv11Ay.jpg
No, at least not that prophecy. Don't tell me if I'm right, but I'm assuming that...

Big Spoilers!
Since Tiki is related to the Divine Dragon, and the Avatar is... well... "related" to the Fell Dragon, then... Light and Darkness becomes one and that one is Morgan. No pressure, Morgan.
Big Spoilers!

Yes, I know that twist, too... I'm too curious for my own good.

My Panne is level 24 and married to Lon'qu. I'm thinking of reclassing her to Thief. Is this wise?

Yeah, go ahead.

She has pretty amazing growths in strength, skill and speed. The only troubling thing could be the thief's family strength cap.

Or if you don't care for Movement+1 or Lockpick, you could level her up to level 30 and go right into the promoted classes.

Where do I get a new Beast stone for Palne?She's almost out of those things.

They are buyable in shops later in the story. Uh, maybe around chapter 8 or later. Or maybe after chapter 12.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Where do I get a new Beast stone for Palne?She's almost out of those things.

You can buy them after chapter 12.

And I'd definitely reclass Panne unless you would rather jump straight to a promoted class. I'm not sure I'd keep either thief skill long-term, but +1 movement is a good skill through the main story.

The breaker skills from the wyvern class tree are good for her too.

Tattooth

I have been playing this game for about 4 hours now and I don't think I quite get it. I don't know if it is because I haven't played enough yet, or that I am doing something wrong, but this game really has not clicked for me.

I am enjoying it, the writing is really funny and clever, and I do like the turn based combat, but I feel like I am not using the characters correctly.

I have been trying to level up some characters like Donnel and Sumia, but they are both die pretty much instantly, and I can't whittle the enemies health away with other characters because they just kill them just as quick. This means I end up using the same three characters for everything, Me, Chrom and Frederick. What are good strategies for levelling up some of the weaker characters?

I am on chapter 6 now and I feel like I am just not playing the game right, I really do want to enjoy the game more, but I feel like it might just not be for me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have been playing this game for about 4 hours now and I don't think I quite get it. I don't know if it is because I haven't played enough yet, or that I am doing something wrong, but this game really has not clicked for me.

I am enjoying it, the writing is really funny and clever, and I do like the turn based combat, but I feel like I am not using the characters correctly.

I have been trying to level up some characters like Donnel and Sumia, but they are both die pretty much instantly, and I can't whittle the enemies health away with other characters because they just kill them just as quick. This means I end up using the same three characters for everything, Me, Chrom and Frederick. What are good strategies for levelling up some of the weaker characters?

I am on chapter 6 now and I feel like I am just not playing the game right, I really do want to enjoy the game more, but I feel like it might just not be for me.

Pair up characters like your Kellam and Frederick with the weaker units since they give good stat bonuses and should help those weaker survive fights.

And if you have been using those three characters almost exclusively your other units might just be very underleveled in comparison. Traditionally in FE you don't really want to spread experience too thin (you get more party members than you can effectively use) but you do want to spread it evenly among your main party you do use.

You should generally avoid using Frederick as anything more than pair-up fodder, he's a prepromote with poor stats and will eat up experience and take forever to level up. It's better to let others gain that experience since they will earn more and make better use of it.

And remember the weapon triangle. Sending Sumia up against an axe user, especially one that is stronger than her, probably isn't going to end well. She will do better against sword users though.

Anteo

Sumia is one of the characters that you can train in their starting chapter, she 2-hits almost everything in that chapter. Try to give your strongest units weak weapons, like bronze tier weapons, so they do less damage to the enemies and your other units can finish them off. Summon some spotpass battles so you can train those units failing behind. And using Frederick is a no no. Unless is to get you out of a really bad situation, he should not be getting kills.

I seem to have hit a bit of a roadblock, the enemy levels in the main story have jumped up (chapter 18) and while i'm above them my units just aren't cutting the mustard, I think i'm paying the price for not waiting until lvl 20 to promote my main units, instead I opted from around 16-18 since main chapters had promoted enemies rolling in and they were becoming a nuisance.
On top of this i've got a whole bunch of optional side missions but their enemy levels are beyond that of my current story chapter and i'm feeling the pressure, i'm beginning to think I should've just gone with normal mode, I pretty much need pair up to live and this current chapter sure as hell doesn't allow me to take things slow and carefully.

I'm going to have to grind aren't I?
I also feel as if i've missed the point of second seals, i've yet to use any.

Sleepy

I'm going to have to grind aren't I?
I also feel as if i've missed the point of second seals, i've yet to use any.

I have yet to do second seals, as well. I am confused as to what happens: If I change a healer to mage does she lose her healing abilities?

McNum

I have yet to do second seals, as well. I am confused as to what happens: If I change a healer to mage does she lose her healing abilities?
Yes. Healing is tied to being able to use staves. But the Magic stat you've been building on the healer? It'll fuel a Thunder pretty well. And once you promote to Sage, for instance, you regain the ability to use staves at the level you left off with.

Same goes with any weapon skill. You'll have to built the new skill up from the bottom, but your old skill is waiting for you once you get a class that can use it.

The point of using Second Seals, basically, is to hunt for skills. Find a good combination and a good final class and be happy with it.

Anteo

So change her to a sage and she has some offense, but can still heal?

Yes. But do try to get the class exclusive skills first before using the seal. You can equip those skills in any class. The point of second sealing is to get more skills and have more room to level up/get more stats. A post end-game Lissa would have Galeforce (have an extra turn after killing a enemy) for example, a skill exclusive to Dark Flyers, so she can kill a enemy and then heal a ally.

Edit: In case you don't know, Lissa can promote to Sage (Tomes/Staffs) or War Cleric (Axes/Staffs)
Maribelle can promote to Valkyrie(Tomes/Staffs) or War Cleric (Axes/Staffs). So no second seal needed to give some offensive options to those girls.

Sleepy

Thanks...starting to get lost in the minutia again. lol

Edit: In case you don't know, Lissa can promote to Sage (Tomes/Staffs) or War Cleric (Axes/Staffs)
Maribelle can promote to Valkyrie(Tomes/Staffs) or War Cleric (Axes/Staffs). So no second seal needed to give some offensive options to those girls.

But it is preferable to switch classes before promotion? More stat increases/skills/etc.?

Anteo

Don't worry too much about second sealing, you don't need it for the main game. If you get to a point where you can't level up with a unit because you reached the level cap (and said unit is a promoted unit) then you can use a second seal to reset the level to 1 and access to another class. Or you could reclass into the same class if you really want.

But it is preferable to switch classes before promotion? More stat increases/skills/etc.?

Not really, unless you are hunting for specific 1st tier skills like Armshift, Vantage, Locktouch, or whatever else you really need.

Oxx

I might be a bit light in the axe department now. I haven't been using Fred at all, and I'm guessing I shouldn't anyway.

Top Bottom