• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Draxal

They are. There's really no reason to use most of the first gen characters once you get them aside from the fact they might not be immediately ready to fight.

Their own base stats will drag down the average so they won't be as strong as their parents right away.

Some of the first gen characters are still usable, the second gen will have higher caps but the caps aren't a gamebreaker. The skills are, but a decent amount of the first gen will have access to all of the good skills.

McNum

Huh, I might be a little overleveled for the main story...

Chapter 11, Chrom vs. the boss. One round, two hits with a Steel Sword. Done. The boss had a 53% chance to hit. Sure, Chrom had Sumia with him, but she didn't do much other than providing a stat boost for that fight.

Then again, for story mission, I bring my A-game. Best characters, best weapons, biggest support bonuses. The only character who got injured worth noting was... um... Lissa. Flying axe to the head. Still, there's only one point of HP that matters, so a quick fix by Anna and she was back in action. then my Avatar killed the enemy who hit her and dinged 20.

So, now what? Grandmaster time? Or something else?

McNum

Looks like Golden Gaffe is coming out tomorrow. Or maybe in just seven hours, actually, here. How difficult is that map? I mean on one hand abusing gold will make the main story easy, but on the other, not having to worry about money for Master Seals and Second Seals, not to mention Dragon and Beast stones, eventually, is awesome.

Draxal

I cranked out a quick and dirty review. Not my finest, but whatever. Perspective from a SRPG fan, but Fire Emblem newbie.

I will say that I think a strategy rpg is a horrible medium for telling a story as your complaint about too much talking before battle is pretty strong. I think this story was less intrusive than it was in other fire emblems (well except maybe the recent DS remakes).

In your score I'd probably up the characters and knock down the narrative a bit, but hey it's my opinion.

Jintor

I don't know if I like or dislike the ability to grind. I know it's partially a self inflicted wound, but I do remember a lot of 'making do with what I had' on the original (that is to say FE7) that felt like an integral part of the experience. That said, I think I was playing on Normal...

MicH

Yeah that's one of the few missions where you can have to abuse the choke points.
I actually just placed my units in the starting area and had no problem until an archer on a horse had access to my Cherche. Whoops. Gonna retry later

Realyn

I was bored and started planing my children with a xcel sheet. For now there are no calc functions, so you have to do the math yourself ;). I'll change it later, so you'll only have to enter the fathers name.

Uploading it to google documents didn't work since it's an .ods from open office, so here you go > http://dfiles.eu/files/1oro8eflc

Anteo

I was bored and started planing my children with a xcel sheet. For now there are no calc functions, so you have to do the math yourself ;). I'll change it later, so you'll only have to enter the fathers name.

Uploading it to google documents didn't work since it's an .ods from open office, so here you go > http://dfiles.eu/files/1oro8eflc

Hmmm maybe I could make a calculator.
Wait really there isn't a calculator for this stuff on the net? It's been so long that I figured there would be one.

NeonZ

I cranked out a quick and dirty review. Not my finest, but whatever. Perspective from a SRPG fan, but Fire Emblem newbie.

I'm surprised at your comment about the story being too slow/having too much presence at times. Awakening's main story sequences are actually fairly barebones compared to past FE titles, aside from the remakes, especially during the Valm chapters. They also did away with narrative/exposition sequences between each chapter.

I always assumed that they might had less story sequences due to development time and such, but now I wonder if the amount of story in games like Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn might have been an obstacle for some players. I had already thought about that regarding the narrations between chapters, but now I'm wondering if that might have been the reason behind the actual story sequences too. I guess we'll know for sure with the next title, whenever that comes.

Draxal

I'm surprised at your comment about the story being too slow/having too much presence at times. Awakening's main story sequences are actually fairly barebones compared to past FE titles, aside from the remakes, especially during the Valm chapters. They also did away with narrative/exposition sequences between each chapter.

I always assumed that they might had less story sequences due to development time and such, but now I wonder if the amount of story in games like Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn might have been an obstable for some players. I had already thought about that regarding the narrations between chapters, but now I'm wondering if that might have been the reason behind the actual story sequences too. I guess we'll know for sure with the next title, whenever that comes.

It is, a big complaint of Path of Radiance is how slow the game is (story and gameplay). It's why I really couldn't get into Path of Radiance that much myself.

It's also how I would say a turn off for some, a turn on for others.

cackhyena

I just checked out a wiki and it mentioned xenologues. Haven't come across any yet at 11 chapters in. Am I missing something or do they come in later?

Tenck

Looks like Golden Gaffe is coming out tomorrow. Or maybe in just seven hours, actually, here. How difficult is that map? I mean on one hand abusing gold will make the main story easy, but on the other, not having to worry about money for Master Seals and Second Seals, not to mention Dragon and Beast stones, eventually, is awesome.

It's ridiculously easy. Kill one enemy with 20hp and get 1000 gold.

Or kill enemies with 50+ HP and get 7000 gold.

Wiseblade

Anyone else in EuroGAF having trouble with the Spotpass updates? I haven't received anything and whenever I try "update now" I just get the "unable to receive new data" message.

NeonZ

I just checked out a wiki and it mentioned xenologues. Haven't come across any yet at 11 chapters in. Am I missing something or do they come in later?

Xenologues is the name for the DLC chapters in the American version. Outrealm Tales is the name in the European version apparently.

Anyone else in EuroGAF having trouble with the Spotpass updates? I haven't received anything and whenever I try "update now" I just get the "unable to receive new data" message.

Do you have no content at all in the wireless menu? So, no bonus teams at all such? If that's your problem, you might just need a stronger source for the wireless signal. I had that problem with the American version a few times before finally updating it. I used the same connection I had used to download the game itself, but the spotpass content wasn't getting recognized and had to approach to signal's source to get it to work.

On the other hand, if you have some content already, then you just can't update because it isn't time yet. The spotpass content is only updated once a week. You can get one bonus team per day, but that's based on summoning and interacting with the previous bonus teams of the same game marked as "NEW", not any online connection (although you need to connect to receive characters from a new game).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So...

Are the children recruitment missions meant to be crazy hard?

I'm only up to chap 16 btw.

Highest level unit is FeMU at 13 while the second best is a promoted level 5.

Anteo

So...

They appear out of order, so is totally possible you are getting an end-game mission. Sully's child for example is a easy one, enemies around level 17-20 unpromoted iirc.

ffdgh

So...

They very loosely go by when you first meet the mothers and Robin.

Robin, lissa, and sully aren't too bad but after that.....yeah it spikes lol.

zroid

Banned
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but supposedly the ramp of difficulty coincides with the order in which you recruited the mothers

edit: beaten with a stick

m0t0k1

I had some troubles yes. But what i did was turn spotpass off before you start the game in the option mode and then select your save and connect to wireless mode in the game. and when ask to turn on and update say yes. It will fetch all the content now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but supposedly the ramp of difficulty coincides with the order in which you recruited the mothers

edit: beaten with a stick

Alright, I guess I'll do a few more story stuff before going to the children missions.

Also is there a mission to reset lucina's stats and skills?

Chrom

So the first part of the "future of despair" DLC is next week right?

We don't know for sure, but it's unlikely for it to be next week because they only start a new DLC series at the end of another, and that's likely supposed to happen this week with the Scramble series.

Draxal

We don't know for sure, but it's unlikely for it to be next week because they only start a new DLC series at the end of another, and that's likely supposed to happen this week with the Scramble series.

Yeah, I think it's going to be scramble since we officialy get the last character tomorrow which coincided with the purpose of the scramble series (talking to people).

McNum

I hate being paralyzed with indecision...

Avatar dings 20, hooray. Got several Master Seals and Second Seals on hand, so not a problem. Except that IS the problem. My Avatar is quite the accomplished tome user, but his swordsmanship is lacking. I could take a detour through Mercenary or Myrmidon and fix that, but I kind of want Rally Spectrum and Ignis. The only thing really worth going for in Merc for me is Armsthrift, and I could jump to Swordmaster and grab Astra later.

Same issue with The Vaike. Nearly 20, does he class up to Hero for Sol or become a Barbarian for Despoil?

Lissa just classes up to War Cleric on the path to Renewal, I think, and Chrom is going to do the Great Lord thing, because Aether.

This game sure has a lot of options, makes it hard to choose.

MicH

Chapter 12 is down! And the seed of Donnel and Nowis relationship has been sown. To be honest, none of my characters are even close to marriage :( I tend to have higher guy/guy or girl/girl relationship for some reason

I'm windering if waiting for tactician to be level 20 beofre going Mercenary was a mistake. I mean hes almost certain to cap everything but HP, Magic, Luck and Res by level 10 (the other starts are all like 15 or above) so will have to commit the sin of promoting at level 10 or wasing 10 levels (and 5 internal levels) with only a few potential growth areas, 2 of which are bound not to happen due to class.

Did anyone ever figure out how supports grew? With the mothers you would expect couples to require more points (or a crazy jump to S rank) and/or certain pairs to be harder to make than tohers (i.e. the support system of most FE games). This reminds me that my pairing plans need to have some checking over and also I don't think I'll be unlocking them in order of difficulty at all. To be honest most of the B leage are probably going to turn out to be whatever happens first.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm windering if waiting for tactician to be level 20 beofre going Mercenary was a mistake. I mean hes almost certain to cap everything but HP, Magic, Luck and Res by level 10 (the other starts are all like 15 or above) so will have to commit the sin of promoting at level 10 or wasing 10 levels (and 5 internal levels) with only a few potential growth areas, 2 of which are bound not to happen due to class.

Did anyone ever figure out how supports grew? With the mothers you would expect couples to require more points (or a crazy jump to S rank). This reminds me that my pairing plans need to have some checking over and also I don't think I'll be unlocking them in order of difficulty at all.

Once you start reclassing promoting at level 10 is not a big deal. Going 20 -> reclass -> 10 will get you fairly close to capping the key stats for the character, unless you go from like knight to mage or something. I'd say getting 10 levels or little to no stat growth is a bigger sin.

Top Bottom