• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Gestahl

HANG ON!
Let me get this straight...

• No con/weight
  • Near unlimited supports
  • Branching classes
  • Customisable skills
  • Marriage and children
  • Sidequests
  • Trial maps(?)
  • DLC and Cameos

Is there anything this game doesn't have?

1 RESCUE (Series Staple)
2 Sid Meier's Pirates! (Water really doesn't matter in Awakening either) (Like roaches, are everywhere in Fire Emblem)
3 MAGIC TRIANGLE (Anima Triangle?) (Series Staple)
4 Destructible Terrain (walls, snags, etc) (In plenty of games)
5 LIGHT MAGIC (Series Staple)
6 STATUS EFFECTS (SS)
7 Status staves (SS)
8 Defend missions (7-10)
9 Escape missions (Arrival variant as well)
10 STEALING (No wonder Gaius gets shit on so much) (SS)
11 Base Conversations (9-10, 12)
12 Laguz (9-10)
13 Crossbows (FE10)
14 Anima Siege Tomes (SS)
15 Ballista (SS)
16 Weather (FE7 only)
17 Fog of War (SS)
18 Environmental hazards beyond fire bad (Boulders, pitfalls, gas traps, etc) (6-10 at least)
19 Opening chapter narration (+ voiced narration) (SS)
20 Actual Monster Enemy Units (Giant spiders, etc) (FE2, FE8)
21 Biorhythms (FE9-10)
22 ELEVATION (10)
23 Ally Units (9-10)
24 WEAPON WEIGHT (SS)
25 Constitution (SS)
26 Capture (FE5 only)
27 Fatigue (FE5 only)
28 Accessories (4, 7-10)
29 Branched Paths (5, 7, 8)
30 Arenas (+ 12 Training Grounds) (SS)
31 Bonus Experience (9-10)
32 Bonus Objectives beyond not letting green units die (Not killing any enemy priests, clear in x turns, escape without being seen, etc)
33 Dismounting (FE3-5)
34 Canto (any version) (SS)
35 Playable Soldiers (9-10)
36 Touch Controls (11-12)
37 Movement stars (5)
38 Leadership stars (4,5,10)
39 Devil weapons (SS)
40 Knives (9-10)

I had to, sorry

vvvvvvv holy moly

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
HANG ON!
Let me get this straight...

• No con/weight
  • Near unlimited supports
  • Branching classes
  • Customisable skills
  • Marriage and children
  • Sidequests
  • Trial maps(?)
  • DLC and Cameos

Is there anything this game doesn't have?

This reminds me of this post.

But in my opinion only a handful of things the game is lacking are disappointing, and I imagine some of them are due to the game possibly being rushed (like pre/post chapter narration).

Edit: Ha, good timing.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
amazon just shipped it

extimated delivery time - 24/29

Long list again.

Once again, saying SERIES STAPLE is misleading especially where you go and say stuff is only in some games.

Rescue was introduced in FE5 and kicked in the DS games.
Magic triangle was introduced in FE4.
Light magic was introduced in FE4 again, but there have always been a magic tome that is pretty much light magic, like this game has one.
Stealing was really introduced in FE5. Thieves could steal gold in FE4 but that's it.
Voiced narrations was only in FE10 I think.
Canto was only in FE4/5 and FE9/10.

I think ill be the one defending Shadow Dragon, while i wouldn't call it 'soulless' i do agree that it is indeed flat, but it has the basic game play locked down, so i recommend playing it BEFORE Awakening, just so you can see the improvements in the latter.

I did enjoy it :>

I will disagree on one thing though, The music in Shadow Dragon is miles better than Awakening IN MY OPINION, to me it has more memorable tunes, the only music that stand out to me in Awakening is that one emotional chapter that i wont mention. The second is when you talk to the Voice (which doesnt count since it is a track from Shadow Dragon :p)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Defend missions?

Hmm, what about a particular paralogue? It's not a defend mission? Unless I am missing something.

Anyways, I miss Magic triangle. Magic is a bit overpowered in this game.

I think ill be the one defending Shadow Dragon, while i wouldn't call it 'soulless' i do agree that it is indeed flat, but it has the basic game play locked down, so i recommend playing it BEFORE Awakening, just so you can see the improvements in the latter.

I did enjoy it :>

I will disagree on one thing though, The music in Shadow Dragon is miles better than Awakening IN MY OPINION, to me it has more memorable tunes, the only music that stand out to me in Awakening is that one emotional chapter that i wont mention. The second is when you talk to the Voice (which doesnt count since it is a track from Shadow Dragon :p)

Hmm well, it's not a 'bad' game per se... maybe a 6/10 for me. The difference from going from FE:A to SD will be so jarring, IMO.

And for music, man, the final battle theme alone for FE:A overdwarfs everything SD has to offer :p

zroid

Banned
Guys let's not argue about the game (again) before the PAL folks even get a chance to play it for themselves.

You're just going to drive them away...

Defend missions?

Hmm, what about a particular paralogue? It's not a defend mission? Unless I am missing something.

Well not a real defend mission, like defend the throne or defend a helpless NPC, mostly since the chapter doesn't end if the braindead NPCs get killed I think.

Gestahl

Once again, saying SERIES STAPLE is misleading especially where you go and say stuff is only in some games.

That was narration in general champ. Hence the + sign.

Does that one even end if the NPC dies? You can cheese the AI pretty damn hard anyway since they made it even more braindead than usual for that map.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Rescue was introduced in FE5 and kicked in the DS games.
Magic triangle was introduced in FE4.
Light magic was introduced in FE4 again, but there have always been a magic tome that is pretty much light magic, like this game has one.
Stealing was really introduced in FE5. Thieves could steal gold in FE4 but that's it.
Canto was only in FE4/5 and FE9/10.

Couldn't mounted units move again after rescue or trading in the GBA games? Been a while so I don't remember.

And even though voiced narration is only in one (or two?) games, at least all the other games in English except Awakening do have at least text narration that helps give details about the story and world.

Defend missions?

That one paralogue is basically a defend mission. I can't really think of any way you can't consider it one while being fair about it.

Who needs archers when you have wind magic....no seriously archers are so useless it's sad.

Wind magic is ridiculously weak though. Archers deal decent damage against everything and wind damage is only particularly effective against wyverns.

Not a big fan of archers in general though since most enemies have low res, and magic has the advantage of being 1-2.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well not a real defend mission, like defend the throne or defend a helpless NPC, mostly since the chapter doesn't end if the braindead NPCs get killed I think.

Does that one even end if the NPC dies? You can cheese the AI pretty damn hard anyway since they made it even more braindead than usual for that map.

Just for clarification, I am talking about the
recruitment stage for Tiki

Man, this thread is so negative already. FE:A is still my favorite of all the FE's I've played so hopefully at least some of the folks who are just now jumping in will end up feeling similarly.

TWILT

Banned
Snipers should really (or at least with the Double Bow since you could do that in Radiant Dawn) be able to attack adjacent enemies.

Man, this thread is so negative already. FE:A is still my favorite of all the FE's I've played so hopefully at least some of the folks who are just now jumping in will end up feeling similarly.

Agreed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Nahh, we're being pretty happy about the game, methinks.

And I am sure many of the EU folks will feel the same way too when the dust has been settled :)

Gestahl

Archers in general have always been massively inferior mages, it's more exacerbated here since mages are probably at their deadliest and most broken. 10 tried to get around this by giving Rolf and Shinon insane bases and innate 3 range at promotion, and 12 made Archers essential on the higher difficulties, but they've always had it rough.

Virion is really shit though discounting all that

I do agree the Archers are useless in this game.
I am trying so hard to keep Virion in my army :[ I really like this guy but i keep replacing him with units that have more walking distance.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Awakening has it's flaws, some more glaring than others, but it's good fun overall.

Which is only exclusive to the sniper class which has no other way of attacking. Bow knight foreva!

Bow knights are actually decent. I just wish the archer class and promotions in general had better skills. Bowbreaker is useful for flying units, but other than that none of their skills are really worthwhile for non-archer classes.

Sniper should have had a range+1 skill for bows. That would have been better than Hit Rate +20.

Don't really like using Archers, Snipers, or Bow Knights in this game.

If I actually need someone to use a bow, I usually end up using an Assassin instead.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

Yeah, this is my favorite FE too and I've played all of them but 2. Gestahl always brings the negativity.

Gestahl

Bow knights are actually decent

because they have swords :/

And a horse

Basically they're as clean of archer stank as a bow wielding unit can get.

vvvvThey did. It was actually fairly balanced since Canto makes endgame Fe4-Fe5 and FE9 a complete mess with how many enemy units have it.

Awakening has it's flaws, some more glaring than others, but it's good fun overall.
Yep, but every game does. Luckily most of them never bothered me since I was never looking for ways to break or exploit the game (which is obviously going to be easy to do in a game with such open ended mechanics).

At the end of the day I've never played a game that hooked me like Awakening, and I enjoyed every minute of the 100 hours I spent with it (so far!).

Some of those things would be awesome to have (in particular, "rout the enemy!" got kinda old), but I'd played a couple Fire Emblem games before this and only beaten one.

This game was so, so, so much more addictive.

ohlawd

Agree with pretty much everything said so far.

FE:A's a legit great game with legit problems but at the end of the day, who gives a crap when you're racking in those legit playtime hours cuz of how legitimately fun it is.

Wiseblade

1 RESCUE (Series Staple)
People say that Pairing up replaces it, and I can kind of see the argument already.
2 Sid Meier's Pirates! (Water really doesn't matter in Awakening either) (Like roaches, are everywhere in Fire Emblem)
As in, no pirate class? :( I loved Dart and Pirate Ross.
3 MAGIC TRIANGLE (Anima Triangle?) (Series Staple)
8 Defend missions (7-10)
5 LIGHT MAGIC (Series Staple)
10 STEALING (No wonder Gaius gets shit on so much) (SS)
30 Arenas (+ 12 Training Grounds) (SS)34 Canto (any version) (SS)
WHAA (And I thought the anima triangle was only in the Tellius games?

4 Destructible Terrain (walls, snags, etc) (In plenty of games)
6 STATUS EFFECTS (SS)
7 Status staves (SS)
9 Escape missions (Arrival variant as well)
:(

11 Base Conversations (9-10, 12)
Weren't base conversations just a poor man's support?

12 Laguz (9-10)
13 Crossbows (FE10)
14 Anima Siege Tomes (SS)
15 Ballista (SS)
16 Weather (FE7 only)
17 Fog of War (SS)
24 WEAPON WEIGHT (SS)
25 Constitution (SS)
And they shall not be missed.

29 Branched Paths (5, 7, 8)
But at least now you can have a "complete run".

35 Playable Soldiers (9-10)
Is there an on foot Spear class to replace it?
36 Touch Controls (11-12)
Yeah... Why is this?

38 Leadership stars (4,5,10)
What did these even do?
39 Devil weapons (SS)
The recoil weapons? The whole point is that they were balanced by luck and weight, so with one gone...
40 Knives (9-10)
they were totally pointless anyway. Existing outside of the weapon triangle didn't really do help much.

ffdgh

Oh no I love it. just pointing out a few minor things.

300+ hours and counting.

I do agree the Archers are useless in this game.
I am trying so hard to keep Virion in my army :[ I really like this guy but i keep replacing him with units that have more walking distance.

Turn him into a sage and never look back.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
At the end of the day I've never played a game that hooked me like Awakening, and I enjoyed every minute of the 100 hours I spent with it (so far!).

Weak :p

I am already 210 hours according to Activity Log. The last game that got me more than 200 hours was Xenoblade.

I am hopelessly attached to this game; whatever DLC they sent for this game, I will buy it like a fool :(

Top Bottom