• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Weak :p

I am already 210 hours according to Activity Log. The last game that got me more than 200 hours was Xenoblade.

I am hopelessly attached to this game; whatever DLC they sent for this game, I will buy it like a fool :(
Haha, I put in the first 60 in 10 days... After that I put in 40 more to a second run and then kind of realized I needed to step away for awhile.

I guess it's been long enough though... :p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well, there are villagers and technically brides, but it's not close to being the same really.

You forget Great Lords.

And oh yeah, Generals. Though their design suck balls in this game :\

Haha, I put in the first 60 in 10 days... After that I put in 40 more to a second run and then kind of realized I needed to step away for awhile.

Many of those 210 hours are for collecting supports. I intend to have a complete Support collection, I don't know how long it will take; probably until the end of the world, hahaha.

zroid

Banned

Same here, I took a break for a few weeks to give myself a chance to play some other stuff. I've been waiting for the European release so I can start up again with my PAL reinforcements!

NeonZ

18 Environmental hazards beyond fire bad (Boulders, pitfalls, gas traps, etc) (6-10 at least)

There are the walls in Nah's paralogue too. They don't do direct damage, but they're a pretty clear map hazard with the way they work.

Is there an on foot Spear class to replace it?

Great Lord can wield spears on foot, but that's not a standard class. There are the usual Knight/Generals and also the DLC Bride class (female only). Well, technically villager is a spear wielding on foot class, but it's not even comparable to tier 1 classes, so it isn't viable in the long run.

Yep, but every game does. Luckily most of them never bothered me since I was never looking for ways to break or exploit the game (which is obviously going to be easy to do in a game with such open ended mechanics).

At the end of the day I've never played a game that hooked me like Awakening, and I enjoyed every minute of the 100 hours I spent with it (so far!).

I personally have now put in over 170 hours and don't feel a bit ashamed at all. It's certainly a series that will have SMT x FE which needs to top it.

Wiseblade

Uh no they provided a great deal of exposition, character development and backstory, you're probably thinking of those one liner quips in 10 that replaced support conversations.

From what I remember in FE10 they mostly just added the character interaction that would have been in proper supports.

zroid

Banned
I personally have now put in over 170 hours and don't feel a bit ashamed at all. It's certainly a series that will have SMT x FE which needs to top it.

When that was announced, I had never played a Fire Emblem, nor an SMT. :p

After Awakening, I'm giddy with excitement. And once I play SMT4 this summer, I'll probably be in an anxious stupor.

pariah164

I love everything about this game .3.; Easily pleased maybe, I dunno.

Also, I love using Noire. Sniper + Vengeance + Galeforce = ownage.

Chrom

What did these even do?

Leadership Stars boosted Hit and Avoid for the unit and nearby units to a degree depending on how many stars the unit came with. Basically innate Charm, but better. Enemies had it, too.

Gestahl forgot to mention Movement Stars, which were a mechanic exclusive to FE5. Each star represented a 5% chance of the unit being able to move again after taking an action, pretty much like Galeforce. You get characters like Leif and Fergus who come with a couple, and then there's someone like Tina who came with the maximum of 5 (25%), meaning she often could move again after doing something. Enemies had this, as well.

Leadership Stars boosted Hit and Avoid for the unit and nearby units to a degree depending on how many stars the unit came with. Basically innate Charm, but better. Enemies had it, too.

Gestahl forgot to mention Movement Stars, which were a mechanic exclusive to FE5. Each star represented a 5% chance of the unit being able to move again after taking an action, pretty much like Galeforce. You get characters like Leif and Fergus who come with a couple, and then there's someone like Tina who came with the maximum of 5 (25%), meaning she often could move again after doing something. Enemies had this, as well.

Don't forget about the super hidden, pursuit critical chance, where your critical rate could skyrocket if you double attacked or activated pursuit.

Awakening feels like FEG and FE8 done right. I put it in the middle of my favorites. Definitely the best of the handhelds, but not as good as the best offerings.

The 2 things that bugged me about this game is the ability to grind levels like a regular RPG. I never liked it in FEG and FE8. I thought FE9/10 handled it brilliantly with the bonus EXP thing. Use skills to accomplish bonus tasks and earn bonus EXP as a reward to use in base. Less mindless than grind and not as infuriating as the arena. Of course people bitch about the arena like it was suppose to be some be all end all leveling place. The arena was always designed to be a gamble based on luck. FE:A should have kept the bonus EXP idea. I so wanted that to be a series staple.

I HATE My Unit. I never liked it in FE3 remake and certainly didn't like this character anymore in FE:A. FE7 did it better. The character wasn't intrusive and just sort of played a minor role in the background instead of constantly shoving his face into the story. This isn't even a gameplay thing since My Unit really is just another character, but I don't like controlling this created character. It just feels weird in Fire Emblem. I don't care about AAAAA. This is Chrome's story.

Chrom

Don't forget about the super hidden, pursuit critical chance, where your critical rate could skyrocket if you double attacked or activated pursuit.

PCC, right? I beat FE5 without really paying much mind to that, but I get what it is now. I think that's one of the reasons why Orsin was so good.

Gestahl

Awakening feels like FEG and FE8 done right. I put it in the middle of my favorites. Definitely the best of the handhelds, but not as good as the best offerings.

The 2 things that bugged me about this game is the ability to grind levels like a regular RPG. I never liked it in FEG and FE8. I thought FE9/10 handled it brilliantly with the bonus EXP thing. Use skills to accomplish bonus tasks and earn bonus EXP as a reward to use in base. Less mindless than grind and not as infuriating as the arena. Of course people bitch about the arena like it was suppose to be some be all end all leveling place. The arena was always designed to be a gamble based on luck. FE:A should have kept the bonus EXP idea. I so wanted that to be a series staple.

I HATE My Unit. I never liked it in FE3 remake and certainly didn't like this character anymore in FE:A. FE7 did it better. The character wasn't intrusive and just sort of played a minor role in the background instead of constantly shoving his face into the story. This isn't even a gameplay thing since My Unit really is just another character, but I don't like controlling this created character. It just feels weird in Fire Emblem. I don't care about AAAAA. This is Chrome's story.

I would honestly forgive most of my many, many, many gameplay complaints if the world and story was fleshed out at all. Ylisse, Plegia, Ferox, and Valm have almost nothing to them and are so barebones in description. Like where the hell is this Rosanne place that was mentioned once I forget where? I have no idea! Or Not-Japan! Obviously it exists somewhere on the map! Be nice to know where at least!

Also My Unit would work a lot better if they actually used it to expand their storytelling, instead you just get two happy go lucky justice for all main characters for the price of one

Oh but for whatever reason I LOVE crafting my own weapons. I guess weapons are less intrusive and I get to make something with stats I want.

I would honestly forgive most of my many, many, many gameplay complaints if the world and story was fleshed out at all. Ylisse, Plegia, Ferox, and Valm have almost nothing to them and are so barebones in description. Like where the hell is this Rosanne place that was mentioned once I forget where? I have no idea! Or Not-Japan! Obviously it exists somewhere on the map!

Wait for FE14. The next game might take place in the same universe. I can't be completely sure since FEA did break the 2 game per continent rule. This is still Marth's universe even if it is a 1000 years later.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's really only good because of it's very high activation rate (skill x 2). Other offensive skills are better, IMO.

It can be pretty good with Vantage and Wrath.

Just getting to half HP could be a problem.

That and always seeing it activate when your character has full HP is just wasting time.

Feels good 1-hitting enemies with 80 HP, Vantage helps

I never did try out that Vengeance + Wrath + Vantage combo properly. I tried it out with Owain but he couldn't wield any high critical weapons as a Sage.

Hmmm. I guess to deliver the most amount of damage possible in the game, Vengeance is actually required.

I always prefer skills like Lifetaker or Renewal though. And with the introduction of Limit Break, there's even less skill slot to use Vengeance.

Maybe I should try using it more on my characters, hmmm.

ohlawd

Hmmm. I guess to deliver the most amount of damage possible in the game, Vengeance is actually required.

I always prefer skills like Lifetaker or Renewal though. And with the introduction of Limit Break, there's even less skill slot to use Vengeance.

Maybe I should try using it more on my characters, hmmm.

Exactly. Vengeance competes with skill slot selection. It conflicts with the healing skills like Sol and you gotta combo it with Vantage at the very least.

You shouldn't bother with it at all. But it's fun to use when you got it all set up.

Exactly. Vengeance competes with skill slot selection. It conflicts with the healing skills like Sol and you gotta combo it with Vantage at the very least.

You shouldn't bother with it at all. But it's fun to use when you got it all set up.

Pretty much.

It also goes against the whole idea of keeping people as healthy as possible which is why Counter isn't that great either since it only becomes useful when you are taking MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Gestahl

Oh but for whatever reason I LOVE crafting my own weapons. I guess weapons are less intrusive and I get to make something with stats I want.

Wait for FE14. The next game might take place in the same universe. I can't be completely sure since FEA did break the 2 game per continent rule. This is still Marth's universe even if it is a 1000 years later.

Pretty sure it's
2000 and there's some other random ancient Exalt hero in the gap between because why the hell not (I don't know why I'm spoilering this but better safe I guess)

Jachaos

so how is this game?especially compared to the other episodes of the series?

Compared to my favourite (Radiant Dawn), it's better in depth of content (support conversations, DLC, paralogues, streetpass, challenges, spotpass, etc.), music, graphics (though I liked map animations of battles in RD and the smaller scale maps as opposed to forts representing a single tile like many other games in the series have) and production value.

Radiant Dawn is better as far as story and gameplay goes though. The actual story had way more themes and more interesting ones. And grey morality. The world building was miles ahead, the base conversations and such, every single region you knew what was where and how people there were, etc. And for gameplay, Bonus EXP and the bonus objectives, variety in objectives, etc. much of what was listed above in post #351.

So
Fire Emblem Awakening : Music, Graphics, Depth of Content, Production Values
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn : Gameplay, Story

And so I find it to be a really awesome game, poured in over 150 hours, but I prefer Radiant Dawn.

Pretty sure it's
2000 and there's some other random ancient Exalt hero in the gap between because why the hell not (I don't know why I'm spoilering this but better safe I guess)

I don't understand the point of adding that other exalt. I guess to distance Chrom from Marth and make the world feel older, but they talk about Marth more than they do this other Exalt. Would have made things simpler if Grima was just Medeus.

Gestahl

I don't understand the point of adding that other exalt. I guess to distance Chrom from Marth and make the world feel older, but they talk about Marth more than they do this other Exalt. Would have made things simpler if Grima was just Medeus.

"Let's make the bare amount of backstory we actually have massively confusing for the audience" basically. Can't count the number of times I had to remind myself of who Chrom or Panne were really talking about.

vvvvv I have already resignedly made my peace with the series

Draxal

Dumb question, did you use to own a fire emblem forum back in the day? Your fire emblem preference seems to be very familiar.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they're going to handle this in the future. Grinding is very much atypical fire emblem, however giving the option to grind makes the game much more noob friendly (as does casual mode). Its even more needed with the support system (I remember how annoying getting Bartre/Karla to S rank in fire emblem 7 was). However, since it's very optional I don't see why it's a big deal.

I honestly think the my unit thing/shipping thing is going to stay. Its no coincidence that four and this game are by far the most popular in Japan and they're infamous for the shipping system. And looking at the previous thread and this one, says it's actually kinda popular here for that reason as well.

As for Gestahl, I honestly do feel kinda bad for him, as I do think his posts have merits but other than the bad story I really do think the reason the game is so successful is due to the stuff that he doesn't like.

Priam is going to be the star if there's a new FE sequel in this universe.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Pretty much.

It also goes against the whole idea of keeping people as healthy as possible which is why Counter isn't that great either since it only becomes useful when you are taking MASSIVE DAMAGE.

What is scary is even a character with Vantage + Vengeance but equipped with a sword cannot do anything when attacked by ranged bows/magic, so low HP strategy is very risky in this situation. The same with a Vantage + Vengeance bow wielding characters when melee foes homing in.

Sword-wielding guys/gals don't get throwable swords until much later, and for most part of the game Spear/Axe-wielding folks can only depend on Javelin/Hand Axes too... hmmm.

So only magic characters I think...

Dumb question, did you use to own a fire emblem forum back in the day? Your fire emblem preference seems to be very familiar.

Nope, never did. Only gotten involved in Fire Emblem in the recent years. I do know who you're referring to though. He's the one who taught me how to play Fire Emblem Thracia 776 back when the game had no translation patch. We have a similar taste in dinosaurs too. That's probably why we've been online friends for so many years.

ohlawd

Vantage + Vengance + Life Steal Dark Tome = luls

I really want to try that.

Add Wrath for added fun!

But why Nosferatu/Aversa's Night?

If it heals them, Vantage becomes useless if current HP > half max HP and Vengeance's effectiveness lessens.

kuppy

Man. Absolutely loving it so far, just perfect.
After the second chapter I decided to restart the game in harder (the medium one) difficulty on classic setting, such a better experience.

Good night, folks.

donny2112

Posting to subscribe. Still on break from FE after ~130 hours on first play-through to catch up on some other games before Animal Crossing hits in June. :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am now switching back and forth from this, Soul Hacker, and Etrian Odyssey IV. I don't know how to fairly distribute my time anymore!!!

*1st world problem*

ohlawd

Still at the very beginning, just gotten the airship, hahaha.

What the hell man.

Put those FE:A and SH carts back into their cases, give them to someone for temporary safekeeping and start playing dat EOIV aka best 3DS game aka sex in a cart aka the best damn game ever aka brings the ladies over to your yard because damn son you know how to make a damn good milkshake.

Already mentioned it in the SH thread but crap I wish I played more of that today. All I did today was post in this thread >_> Still on the 3rd dungeon, waaah ;_;

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What the hell man.

Put those FE:A and SH carts back into their cases, give them to someone for temporary safekeeping and start playing dat EOIV aka best 3DS game aka sex in a cart aka the best damn game ever aka brings the ladies over to your yard because damn son you know how to make a damn good milkshake.

Already mentioned it in the SH thread but crap I wish I played more of that today. All I did today was post in this thread >_> Still on the 3rd dungeon, waaah ;_;

I am indeed planning to make Etrian Odyssey IV a priority! In fact I am scouring the Internet right now looking to look for build suggestions :) I am a bit surprised myself at how involved I was last night playing it: I like the music in particular.

As for SH, not really feeling it right now. Especially when compared side-to-side with Etrian Odyssey IV, its production quality can seem a bit rough around the edges.

I am now playing FE:A just for collecting supports, and collecting Paragon/Limit Breaker for folks--but mainly for collecting supports. I am not even sure I am actually enjoying it--it seems like I am still playing FE:A just because, hahaha. Well, 210 hours can do that to someone I guess: maybe I really should put away FE:A for a while.

Top Bottom