• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Finally got around to picking this up.

Question. I'm very early on, just finished chapter 3 and the first whateverlogue. Does the game give a more in-depth look into inventory management or should I just look something up? I still don't quite have a grip on it. Same goes for the pair up system. I hate figuring systems out as I go when there are lives on the line :lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pairing gives bonus stats to the main unit, as well the possibility of the 'paired' unit striking as well, or a lower possibility for them to block an incoming strike. Any xp you get from killing an enemy while paired is split between the units. (I think the main unit gets more, but am not sure. Veteran skill may have been influencing my perception of it)

Actually exp isn't split, the paired unit just gets exp if they get a dual strike in. The lead unit always most of the exp, even if the paired unit gets the kill.

Also, Nah's paralogue is probably my favorite map in the whole game.

Wiseblade

L+R+Start time.

Hope you didn't save over your file, lol.

Which reminds me...

I pressured my friend's little brother into buying the game and checked up on his pregress yesterday. He was at chapter 8 and while he hadn't let anyone die, the only usable members of his party were Frederick, Chrom and Avatar. So I rip the game from his hands and start spawning risen to drag his team up to par. the enemy gets a random crit on Lissa, so I soft reset and he's all "How did you do that ARE YOU MAGIC".

L+R+START should be on the back of the box.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Actually exp isn't split, the paired unit just gets exp if they get a dual strike in. The lead unit always most of the exp, even if the paired unit gets the kill.

Also, Nah's paralogue is probably my favorite map in the whole game.

Ah, true. Everyone on my main file has so much skill that the percentage of dual strike is like 80+%, lol.

Question. I'm very early on, just finished chapter 3 and the first whateverlogue. Does the game give a more in-depth look into inventory management or should I just look something up? I still don't quite have a grip on it. Same goes for the pair up system. I hate figuring systems out as I go when there are lives on the line :lol

The inventory will open up, but it's different than other games in that you can't trade items on the main map screen. You can directly take them from others, which you can see by the portrait behind an item in the convoy.

Trading is still in the battles themselves.

As for the pair up system...

Pairing gives bonus stats to the main unit based on the supporting unit's class and stats, as well the possibility of the 'paired' unit striking as well, or a lower possibility for them to block an incoming strike. If the support unit assists in damaging the enemy, any xp you get from that combat is split between the units (with the main unit receiving more), otherwise, only the main unit gets xp.

Metroidvania

I didn't realize until after I had finished the mission, so it was too late by the time I had finished.

Oh well, always there for the next play-through.

Gotta make sure to have a semi-recent backup of the main file on the 3rd save slot, yo.

Personally, I like Severa (overbearing Tsundere aside), but the game is definitely doable without her. It is odd that, IIRC, she's the only one where just talking with the mom or Chrom doesn't do it.

Personally, I like Severa (overbearing Tsundere aside), but the game is definitely doable without her. It is odd that, IIRC, she's the only one where just talking with the mom or Chrom doesn't do it.

I-it's not like she doesn't want to make you work for recruiting her. B-baka!

TrueBlue

Gotta make sure to have a semi-recent backup of the main file on the 3rd save slot, yo.

Eh, that's why I didn't bother waiting. If I had held my attack off another turn it'd have been fine, but there you go.

LuuKyK

If the characters can't hold their own, don't use them, you don't need to. Also I'm blaming that on your use of Frederick stealing exp they could've potentially gotten.

He's "promoted" which means he's already been through one of the classes your characters are in now. He's actually more like level 22 or something.

Remember Sully and Stahl? After a unit reach level 10 (and up to level 20) you can use a item called Master Seal to upgrade them to a more powerfull version of their class. The unit level resets, and the stats actually grow in the process. Frederick is a unit that was upgraded before the game started. Both Sully and Stahl can promote to Fred's Class (Great Knight) or can go for Paladin (another mounted class).

The game considers Frederick as level 21 (a promoted unit level is their level +20) when calculating how much exp he gets. So he level ups slowly.

Yeah I imagined he was different somehow. It all makes sense now. :p Anyway, yeah I noticed the Master Seals, I earned one in a mission (with the second seal? - the three villages one) and bought some from Anna. I have like 4 or 5 characters upgraded at this point. I figured it was best to upgrade them as soon as possible, right? Also, Sully/Frederick team is best team. I turned her into a paladin. Eh, honestly Im just messing around and kinda trying things out at the moment but Im having lots of fun with the game. I discovered the lack of trophies/achievements makes me play games much more relaxed (I hate to miss something I wasnt supposed to - thats why Im reading how not to miss any character in the sidequests and such :p). I am having a hard time deciding who is the best though: Cordelia or Nowi (the dragon girl, Im not sure whats her name now lol). But the games has lots of potential waifus. Choices...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Some thoughts on my first playthrough -
Married Chrom x Sumia (PIE!), and Miriel x Kellam.
Reclassing Kellam into a Thief was a bad idea; having some trouble levelling him up. The Knight role is now been taken by Sumia. Her added speed and skill makes her pretty good! I'm probably not going to bother grinding her up for Galeforce though before Chapter 13.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I figured it was best to upgrade them as soon as possible, right?

Not exactly.

If you're on normal you should be able to work it all out anyway. Maybe even on hard with just a little grinding.

Second playthrough is for optimizing everything and tackling the more challenging stuff, once you have a better feel for how it all works.

JJD

I tried to change my 3DS calendar to my characters birthday to see the extra scenes and get the special items, but nothing is happening...

Do I need to get to a specific point in the game for this feature be available?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to change my 3DS calendar to my characters birthday to see the extra scenes and get the special items, but nothing is happening...

Do I need to get to a specific point in the game for this feature be available?

The game probably uses it's own internal calendar to prevent you from gaming it like that.

When you weren't looking Chrom was chilling with Sully in the Baracks to raise their relationship?

Nope, hell I even stopped Chrom from getting an event with Sumia just to prevent that. I must have accidently put them next to each other in just one mission somehow.

MicH

Just finished chapter 24. I think I've finished the last 4 or 5 today, so damn good. Tried 25, but either Lucina or Cordelia kept getting killed. Will try again later or tomorrow.

Cordelia is ONE level away from Galeforce, so I might just try and grind for that level.

JJD

The game probably uses it's own internal calendar to prevent you from gaming it like that.

Well, they still acknowledged my birthday on the barracks, but I didn't get a special scene of any kind with the listen option... =(

Just another question, the earliest that I can get Second Seals easily is at chapter 16?

I'm still at chapter 6 and I'm holding out leveling anyone above 10 because I want to grab specific skills as soon possible for my favorite characters using Second Seals but I managed to buy only 1 until now (bought it from the random store).

By the time I reach chapter 16 all my units will be at lvl. 20 already.

Leezard

Well, they still acknowledged my birthday on the barracks, but I didn't get a special scene of any kind with the listen option... =(

Just another question, the earliest that I can get Second Seals easily is at chapter 16?

I'm still at chapter 6 and I'm holding out leveling anyone above 10 because I want to grab specific skills as soon possible for my favorite characters using Second Seals but I managed to buy only 1 until now (bought it from the random store).

Time to use Frederick to soak that exp.

JJD

Time to use Frederick to soak that exp.

Lol!!! That's a great advice! I would have never thought of that!

He is still at lvl. 1! I haven't been using him at all!

Haha, thanks friend!

Now the only question is who I should pair him with? Hummm...

Man I'm loving this game despite the lack of beards! =)

froliq

Keep an eye out on merchants, they sometimes carry seals.

Chrom

You mean the usual city merchants or the random merchant that sometimes appear?

My only Second Seal was bought from a random merchant at chapter 1 or 2!

The random ones.

Also, Paralogue 10's armory sells Second Seals, and accessing it would only require having Cordelia married as early as after Chapter 13.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The random ones.

Also, Paralogue 10's armory sells Second Seals, and accessing it would only require having Cordelia married as early as after Chapter 13.

If his characters are level 10 he's not really going to have any shot at all though.

And even though reclassing at level 10 early on is ideal, it's pretty much never going to happen for all your characters since you can't get enough second seals for that. You'd be extremely lucky just to get a handful of them from Annas after each chapter or 2.

Nothing to do with Awakening itself but I was just checking up on where I left off my most recent Radiant Dawn file, now I remember why I left it, "the price" has to be one of the most boring chapters i've played in this series. While Awakening's limited map goals are a bit disappointing i'm glad they don't have the mass unit battles of attrition that Radiant Dawn was so fond of.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Which reminds me...

I pressured my friend's little brother into buying the game and checked up on his pregress yesterday. He was at chapter 8 and while he hadn't let anyone die, the only usable members of his party were Frederick, Chrom and Avatar. So I rip the game from his hands and start spawning risen to drag his team up to par. the enemy gets a random crit on Lissa, so I soft reset and he's all "How did you do that ARE YOU MAGIC".

L+R+START should be on the back of the box.
I was doing the home-button reset up until Chapter 4 or 5. I guess I wasn't spending that much time in this thread back then.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Nothing to do with Awakening itself but I was just checking up on where I left off my most recent Radiant Dawn file, now I remember why I left it, "the price" has to be one of the most boring chapters i've played in this series. While Awakening's limited map goals are a bit disappointing i'm glad they don't have the mass unit battles of attrition that Radiant Dawn was so fond of.
That's because battles of attrition play nicely in the land of politics.
In Awakening, victory by eradication is all that matters and it's all MU's fault.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's because battles of attrition play nicely in the land of politics.
In Awakening, victory by eradication is all that matters and it's all MU's fault.

There were definitely some interesting elements to the avatar, some stuff you wouldn't expect out of one of the lead heroes for the game. And that's kind of interesting since (s)he plays a good foil to the goody-two-shoes, idealistic Chrom.

Realyn

Fuck yeah! Finished chapter 6 on Lunatic.

Lvl 4 Gandmaster MU, lvl 15 Chrom, 9 Lon'zu, 8 Palne, 6 Donnel, 4 Sully, 6 Virion and only lvl 2 Fred. 8]

Chapter 6 really sucked tho. I used Fred and Kellam to hold the right side for a bit. I used a rescue staff on them when the enemy knights arrived. MU was used for the middle choke point and Chrom+Sumia, Lon'zu+Vaike on the left side. However I have to admit that I had to reset until Chrom/Lon dodged one of the mage's attacks on the left side.

Still, really happy I finally managed that stupid chapter without completly cheesing and setting up a 1 tile choke point near the chamber with my uber MU.

So I just got to chapter 12 and I felt Chromes marriage was forced way too soon. It came as a surprise, but I don't regret the choice as I liked the clumsy pegasus girl opposed to the other contenders.

I was really struggling with chapter 11 and had to resort to blocking the spawning points for reinforcements and using rescue for the first time. I gotta vouch for the thief guy and the mercenary as pairs. They are a killer duo with both equipping killing edge. No dead yet on hard mode. I think I will try to keep it this way as I always sacrificed people in the older games.

McNum

Hmm, those yellow Risen sure are worth a lot of EXP for no discernible reason. Is the EXPonential Growth map full of those, or something?

Also Donnel is catching up and then some to the rest of the team. Just try and stop him. He'll have to promote really soon because he's capping his base class. From Zero to Hero, in this case literally a Hero. And to think Nowi used to watch out for him... now it's the other way around.

Story wise, I
met Tiki
. Someone has been sleeping on the job there. Was going to push through to get er paralogue opened up, but the 3DS decided to flash thar red light at me near the end of chapter 17. Guess it'll get to recharge.

Hmm, those yellow Risen sure are worth a lot of EXP for no discernible reason. Is the EXPonential Growth map full of those, or something?

Yep. Their stats are all pretty weak too besides a good chunk of luck and HP. They also come in either level 1, 10, 20 or 30, with 30 only being the most threatening since it has lolCounter.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Some of them also have miracle which is a pain.

Those level 30 ones are decent experience for a long time though. With an experience growth level of 51 (30 internal levels + 20 promotion "bonus" levels + 1 displayed level) you still get 94 exp per kill with Paragon. Though that 94 exp will quickly dwindle before you even hit level 10.

MicH

Just finished the game.What a wonderful, wonderful game. I actually liked the story, especially in the later chapters. And the end credits were amazingly good.

Endgame spoilers

A bit sad that you can't return to a Grima-free world. But oh well. I'm definitely starting a new game to try out some new units and supports.

Some questions. I suppose the result is the same no matter what decision you make at the end? And I suppose that the final scene indicated that the Avatar was found?

Really enjoyed the last chapter. Loved how all the friends you made throughout the journey chimed in after the battle.

Metroidvania

On a completely unrelated note, you should play the Festival Scramble map. So masterfully trollerific.
80 HP boss with that combination of skills.

Lesson learned: Read the enemy skills!

Or just use mages or ranged weapons and always attack from 2 squares away when possible.

Mages OP.

But in all honesty, I don't think any of those types of enemies who have miracle + counter try to actually initiate an attack on you, including the DLC. (save for the scramble map, maybe? Only done it once so far)

Also question: I was going through Palla map back after I accidentally disregarded this rule, and attacked the 'boss' with Inigo. Instead of a quote, I had no text visible and a black overlay behind the text bar, which quickly 'scrolled' through and went straight into the fight.

Did this happen to anyone else at all?

On a completely unrelated note, you should play the Festival Scramble map. So masterfully trollerific.
80 HP boss with that combination of skills.

Lesson learned: Read the enemy skills!

I'll probably do that once I finish getting all the supports related to the Sumia/Robin pairing.

Chrom

Also question: I was going through Palla map back after I accidentally disregarded this rule, and attacked the 'boss' with Inigo. Instead of a quote, I had no text visible and a black overlay behind the text bar, which quickly 'scrolled' through and went straight into the fight.

Did this happen to anyone else at all?

I've heard of it.

Yaari

So you can actually accidentally marry characters then? I've yet to reach that point but after several hours into the game it would suck if something like that happened. Looks like I'll have to be careful.

Roto13

So you can actually accidentally marry characters then? I've yet to reach that point but after several hours into the game it would suck if something like that happened. Looks like I'll have to be careful.

Only Chrom. He automatically marries whoever he likes the most at one point in the story.

Chrom

You can if you don't know or forget that S supports equates to marriages. And Chrom's case.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lon'qu and Cordelia have pretty nice convos, dunno if I should let them marry, I already set him up with panne :/

Lon'qu and Cordelia make for an awesome kid, unless you would rather use Cordelia to farm out another Sorcerer in which case she's better off hooking up with Ricken.

Frost_Ace

Lon'qu and Cordelia make for an awesome kid, unless you would rather use Cordelia to farm out another Sorcerer in which case she's better off hooking up with Ricken.

I'm using Tharja as a dark mage right now, I heard she's better off being a dark knight though, but I want her to use dark magic :/

BTW I wish they used the anima triangle from FE7 in this game instead of just having more powerful spells.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm using Tharja as a dark mage right now, I heard she's better off being a dark knight though, but I want her to use dark magic :/

BTW I wish they used the anima triangle from FE7 in this game instead of just having more powerful spells.

Whoever told you that is kinda wrong. Mixed physical + magic classes aren't great in general, you're better off in a class that excels in one or the other rather than being slightly gimped in both.

On top of that, Sorcerer is the most broken class in the game because of dark magic. Sending her through Dark Knight for Lifetaker doesn't hurt, but it shouldn't be necessary with some forged Nosferatus. Not sure I'd bother with Aversa's Night on her since she doesn't get Armsthrift and those are rare.

There was no anima triangle in FE7. There was an anima triangle in FE 9 and 10.

Just finished the game.What a wonderful, wonderful game. I actually liked the story, especially in the later chapters. And the end credits were amazingly good.

Endgame spoilers

A bit sad that you can't return to a Grima-free world. But oh well. I'm definitely starting a new game to try out some new units and supports.

Some questions. I suppose the result is the same no matter what decision you make at the end? And I suppose that the final scene indicated that the Avatar was found?

Really enjoyed the last chapter. Loved how all the friends you made throughout the journey chimed in after the battle.

If you choose to put Grima to sleep then obviously you get different dialogue. Everyone supports the Avatar's decision and they vow to find a permanent solution to Grima. If you kill Grima, yea, the Avatar comes back after the credits. So it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

Top Bottom