• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Roto13

Frederick's best use is as a pair up character. That way someone gets a little stat boost from him without sacrificing EXP.

Mr.Jeff

Loving this game although I sort of wish I hadn't gone mental with DLC grinding. Oh well. Currently just before chapter 11 and trying to decide who to pair Sully off with since I want to pair Chrom up with Olivia.

Realyn

@Antiwhippy

Out of my head:
Kill middle sword guy with Fred. Another one(2) will attack Fred to his right and hopefully survive with 5% hp. Pair up Chrom on MU and move them to the left to save Lissa and counter attack an enemy(1).

Heal MU with Lissa, move MU above the enemy(1) unit so he is range of the enemy(2) that attacked Fred. Kill enemy(1). Move Fred to the right side out of range from enemy(2) but in range of the last remaining enemy(3).

Give potion to MU/heal him, depending on counter attacks/evades. If enemy(2) still lives kill him. If not lure enemy(3) into range and kill him.

That should be the first wave.

For the second wave move fred to the black arrow, MU to the red one.

This will result in one meele enemy(4) attacking MU. It's important to move Fred to that exact position so he only get's attacked by one meele unit, which he'll most likely kill, but not by the mage.

Next turn move MU as far away to the left as possible, so he gets attacked by enemy(4). Move Lissa to the left/bottom of MU and heal him. Move Fred to the far bottom right corner so one or two enemys will follow him.

Rinse repeat.

Take every glowing thingy with MU for possible +exp. But be aware that you can't level up with them. If you have 98 exp and get 19 exp 18 will be wasted.

For the boss move MU in range with your lower dmg skill equiped and wait for a counter attack. Then heal up with Lissa and wait again.

Oxx

Chapter 10 was a fun one.

Although it can be hard to tell when reinforcements spawn if you don't have the enemy-range view on when the turn ends.

Anteo

I am at chapter 17 and he is still a beast. Only some enemy types can give him a hard time. I didn't neglect my other characters so that's why I think he makes the game kind of easy so far.

Well maybe you've been blessed by the RNG goddess. His starting speed is not good at all for a promoted. Being a promoted means less level ups on kill so less chances to correct that. In all my runs he was really underpowerd by ch 9, and was easy target for mages and could not tank long enough unlike Chrom.

It is possible to have him get most of the kills and still get some exp for your other chars, random battles allow for that but I really don't like them so I just skip to the next mainline battle. So for my hard runs training Fred is a no no. Lunatic is another story, with Fred being the only one that can survive but still be killed in the first few chapters.
@Antiwhippy

Out of my head:
Kill middle sword guy with Fred. Another one(2) will attack Fred to his right and hopefully survive with 5% hp. Pair up Chrom on MU and move them to the left to save Lissa and counter attack an enemy(1).

Heal MU with Lissa, move MU above the enemy(1) unit so he is range of the enemy(2) that attacked Fred. Kill enemy(1). Move Fred to the right side out of range from enemy(2) but in range of the last remaining enemy(3).

Give potion to MU/heal him, depending on counter attacks/evades. If enemy(2) still lives kill him. If not lure enemy(3) into range and kill him.

That should be the first wave.

For the second wave move fred to the black arrow, MU to the red one.

This will result in one meele enemy(4) attacking MU. It's important to move Fred to that exact position so he only get's attacked by one meele unit, which he'll most likely kill, but not by the mage.

Next turn move MU as far away to the left as possible, so he gets attacked by enemy(4). Move Lissa to the left/bottom of MU and heal him. Move Fred to the far bottom right corner so one or two enemys will follow him.

Rinse repeat.

Take every glowing thingy with MU for possible +exp. But be aware that you can't level up with them. If you have 98 exp and get 19 exp 18 will be wasted.

For the boss move MU in range with your lower dmg skill equiped and wait for a counter attack. Then heal up with Lissa and wait again.

The hardest part for me in that chapter was to decide if I would have Chrom/MU as a pair or in seperate squares, strat changes when they are not together, and I really wanted to abuse the +50% exp from veteran. I got mostly the same results though but I think I could deal with the second wave with them by their own and get one extra kill. Need to calculate if that extra kill is worth the risk and pair up MU with Lissa instead. Maybe next run.

LOL at people talking about lunatic mode. I'm getting slaughtered on easiest difficulty. I'm used to other SRPGs that allow you to attack and then move, and I keep forgetting that I can't just hit someone and GTFO. That's my usual sissy strategy.

Some FE games allow mounted units to attack and then use up their leftover movement. This one doesn't.

Pau

That would make Lunatic mode so much more difficult. I remember the worst thing in PoR or RD was being attacked by cavalry and having them move out of the way so that their buddies could also attack. Made defending really stressful.

I still kind of miss it though.

MU/Tharja (Nosferatu Tanks)
Chrom/Lucina (Back up)
Olivia/Cordelia (Second chance)
Lissa/Libra (Healing)

Those are the only units I have that are still useable on my Lunatic playthrough.

Morgan as well but only because she was blessed by her mother as a recruitable dark mage.

If there ever is a sequel to this game. He needs to be like Oliver and come back as an ally.

ohlawd

Best Harvest Scramble convos?

I've done mostly the female ones so I'm looking for male answers. Nowi has the best supports here, it's awesome.

And Lissa is so adorable with her party hat. She even wears it during battle <3

Has my first enemy critical today. I was hoping they would say something. Also, I'm really going to have to turn off animations if Sol does the same thing as criticals...
http://i.imgur.com/pFWZQyJ.jpg
It is worth fighting him with Chrom (and animations on?). You get a good soundbite out him.

McNum

Best Harvest Scramble convos?

I've done mostly the female ones so I'm looking for male answers. Nowi has the best supports here, it's awesome.

And Lissa is so adorable with her party hat. She even wears it during battle <3
I promoted my Lissa to War Cleric on that map. I bet that's something very few people have seen: Class Change while wearing a party hat. And of course it was still there when she had her new class.

Also, a sign you've been using too many Seals lately: You can't get the class change song out of your head.

So I'm worried that I'm ruining the game for myself.

I evolved my main character at level 10. I found out that some skills only unlock at level 15. Eeek!

Then I'm told, no, it's cool, the tactician's last skill unlocks at level 10. Cool!

But now people are saying that even level 15 is too soon to evolve, as it's "wasting" experience and level ups, and that I'm hamstringing my party for late-game play.

Quite frankly, I love the thrill of evolving a character and it helps to keep the game fresh. On Normal difficulty, am I really going to be that badly off if I evolve at level 10/15? I'd be interested in min/maxing on a Hard playthrough, but is it really that important on Normal? Will the game be considerably harder because of this?

I think Frederick kind of makes this game too easy. Why do they give you such an overpowered unit right from the start?

I thought he was there as a crutch for newbies. This is the first FE I've played to any decent degree but I didn't even use him. After his first fight, I just never used him again. Now my party is generally more powerful than him, and I didn't feel that not using him made the game all that more difficult.

He's there if you want, but if not? Just throw him aside, like I did.

Pau

So I'm worried that I'm ruining the game for myself.

I evolved my main character at level 10. I found out that some skills only unlock at level 15. Eeek!

Then I'm told, no, it's cool, the tactician's last skill unlocks at level 10. Cool!

But now people are saying that even level 15 is too soon to evolve, as it's "wasting" experience and level ups, and that I'm hamstringing my party for late-game play.

Quite frankly, I love the thrill of evolving a character and it helps to keep the game fresh. On Normal difficulty, am I really going to be that badly off if I evolve at level 10/15? I'd be interested in min/maxing on a Hard playthrough, but is it really that important on Normal? Will the game be considerably harder because of this?
You can always reclass so really unless you're getting really shitty level ups on those first ten levels, you should be fine.

I've been promoting units at 10 when they get their skill and then reclassing at 15 once they get their promoted skill.

You can always reclass so really unless you're getting really shitty level ups on those first ten levels, you should be fine.

I've been promoting units at 10 when they get their skill and then reclassing at 15 once they get their promoted skill.

Okay, cool.

Also, I think I'm playing the game a bit wrong. I don't pair people up for the most part, unless I need to rescue someone. I just find the increased firepower of having more units outweighs the miniscule stat boost that it gives. I also don't intentionally put units that "like" each other side by side; I just go with what makes the most sense, tactically.

I haven't run into any major difficulty spikes that make me feel like I'm losing out a lot because of it, but I'm only on chapter 10. The only "difficulty" I'm getting is from keeping all of my units alive (and restarting when one does). But I hear that's the draw of FE -- units matter.

LuuKyK

So, Im on chapter 9 now and Im getting worried about some of my characters. They are level 1~2 and I cant level them up because if I put them in a battle they will probably be worthless and die. Is there a way later to grind and level up with these characters at all?

On a side note, Frederick seems to level up so slowly... yet he is probably the strongest character in the game, even stronger than some level 15 characters (he is like, level 7 or 8).

Any suggestions on who to hook Kellam up with? I like the poor dude, but he just doesn't feel like he blends with any of the females but Sully, and she's either mine or Chrom's :p

So, Im on chapter 9 now and Im getting worried about some of my characters. They are level 1~2 and I cant level them up because if I put them in a battle they will probably be worthless and die. Is there a way later to grind and level up with these characters at all?

On a side note, Frederick seems to level up so slowly... yet he is probably the strongest character in the game, even stronger than some level 15 characters (he is like, level 7 or 8).

If you buy reeking boxes, I think wherever you open it determines what level the enemies will be -- so open it on a lower-chapter spot on the map.

At least, this is what I've gleaned from using reeking boxes; I could be totally wrong.

LuuKyK

If you buy reeking boxes, I think wherever you open it determines what level the enemies will be -- so open it on a lower-chapter spot on the map.

At least, this is what I've gleaned from using reeking boxes; I could be totally wrong.

Oh so thats what those boxes are for. lol I had no idea. Thanks.

1) Try to finish enemy units when they have few HP left.

2) That's because he's already a promoted unit, whose EXP gain is slower.

They will still probably die somehow. I guess I will try and be extra careful with them, see if it works.

Kurita

1) Try to finish enemy units when they have few HP left.

2) That's because he's already a promoted unit, whose EXP gain is slower.

If the characters can't hold their own, don't use them, you don't need to. Also I'm blaming that on your use of Frederick stealing exp they could've potentially gotten.

Roto13

He's "promoted" which means he's already been through one of the classes your characters are in now. He's actually more like level 22 or something.

Anteo

Remember Sully and Stahl? After a unit reach level 10 (and up to level 20) you can use a item called Master Seal to upgrade them to a more powerfull version of their class. The unit level resets, and the stats actually grow in the process. Frederick is a unit that was upgraded before the game started. Both Sully and Stahl can promote to Fred's Class (Great Knight) or can go for Paladin (another mounted class).

The game considers Frederick as level 21 (a promoted unit level is their level +20) when calculating how much exp he gets. So he level ups slowly.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
If the characters can't hold their own, don't use them, you don't need to. Also I'm blaming that on your use of Frederick stealing exp they could've potentially gotten.

This. Unless you're doing street/spotpass or grinding out lower level risen maps(which allows you to babysit characters a lot more), characters will fall by the wayside. There's no reason to use them all unless you want their supports for all of the kids.

He's "promoted" which means he's already been through one of the classes your characters are in now. He's actually more like level 22 or something.

And has absolutely terrible bases for being that far along. As someone said earlier, he's one of the worse Jeigans to start with.

IIRC, Seth and Titania are the only good ones

Wiseblade

This. Unless you're doing street/spotpass or grinding out lower level risen maps(which allows you to babysit characters a lot more), characters will fall by the wayside. There's no reason to use them all unless you want their supports for all of the kids.

And has absolutely terrible bases for being that far along. As someone said earlier, he's one of the worse Jeigans to start with.

IIRC, Seth and Titania are the only good ones

FE7 Marcus isn't COMPLETELY atrocious.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the one in FE4 is supposed to be good too. And a few members of the Dawn Brigade.

Radiant Dawn is weird because it doesn't have a true, by the numbers Jeigan. On the other hand it does have several characters with severe availability issues which is equally crippling. If not worse since you won't necessarily know what those characters are the first time though while the Jeigan is obvious.

Wiseblade

The Dawn Brigade really suffered from not having a proper Jeigan in Part 1. Sothe is the closest equivalent, but can't take a hit as well as you'd expect. By the time Tauroneo and crew come into play, you've probably scaled the difficulty cliff and Nolan/Edward are able to do most of the heavy lifting.

I think the one in FE4 is supposed to be good too. And a few members of the Dawn Brigade.

Oifaye didn't start his own subtrope for nothing.

Radiant Dawn is weird because it doesn't have a true, by the numbers Jeigan. On the other hand it does have several characters with severe availability issues which is equally crippling. If not worse since you won't necessarily know what those characters are the first time though while the Jeigan is obvious.

The closest one in terms of starting much higher level than everyone else and with the stats to boot would be Sothe. Of course, considering how he's forced into endgame, he doesn't end up like the other Jeigans.

Not to mention, in the Dawn Brigade, it's pretty obvious who's suppose to be the Jeigans and who isn't.

Pau

The Dawn Brigade really suffered from not having a proper Jeigan in Part 1. Sothe is the closest equivalent, but can't take a hit as well as you'd expect. By the time Tauroneo and crew come into play, you've probably scaled the difficulty cliff and Nolan/Edward are able to do most of the heavy lifting.
I actually liked that though. It really made me feel like I was fighting for my life with a really unexperienced group. In most FE games it makes sense why you have a more experienced body guard of sorts and while it could have been easy to justify it in the narrative in RD, I liked the different approach.

Metroidvania

FE7 Marcus isn't COMPLETELY atrocious.

True, but I never felt like I even needed Marcus unless Merlinus suddenly was about to get hit by reinforcements.

Having Lyn's prologue characters come in with their boosted stats helped in softening people up for Eliwood/Rebecca or Hector to get their levels in quickly enough for me to not really need him, save for weakening a few bosses before the rest of the recruitables started rolling in.

Course, I only remember my recent normal playthrough, it's been too long since I went through hard.

McNum

Oh, gods, I've started making a document to plan out pairings... What's happening to me?

Since I'm playing on normal, I'm not min/maxing as much as I could. That way lies headaches and more thinking about the game than actually playing the game. So I'm letting relationships form on the battlefield and looking if they have decent enough supports together. If that means I lose out on a Galeforce inheritance, so be it.

Here's what I've got so far, in case anyone wants to pitch in with ideas:

Chrom/Sumia, Vaike/Sully, and Donnel/Nowi are all locked in. They were fun, even if Chrom/Sumia was a little... pie focused. Donnel/Nowi was adorable, though.

I'm pondering to go with Kellam/Tharja (Have the S rank unlocked already for them), and possibly Frederick/Cherce and Lon'qu/Cordelia. But for the rest, I'm open to ideas. Stahl and Mirabelle could work, maybe, they've both fallen behind a bit, so training them together on some Risen would make that support come naturally. Miriel needs a lot of training, too, as well as Ricken, but I'm not sure if pairing up the mages is a good idea. The one I'm having the most trouble with is Lissa, though. Haven't found anyone who fit with her...

I am spending a little too much time with the shipping part, I think, but it's fun.

Metroidvania

Gah, any recommendatioms for reclassing a lvl 30 Nah?

Myrmidion -> SM for astra/Swordfaire then hero for Sol to finally stop at Assassin is where mine is at, with Gregor as the father giving armsthrift so I could skip merc.

Who is the dad?

Metroidvania

Gregor is the dad, but did not pass down Armshrift.

Well, no matter what you decide on doing in the long run, Sol and Armsthrift are insanely good skills. If you want them, you may want to do Merc -> Hero.

As for the rest, it depends on what you feel you need given the character's second seal class potential (i.e. a sword, axe, lance user).

Most of the kids can perform well at any role (better than their parents in almost all instances, save if you married a magic user with a physical attacker)

Man those Children side missions are super hard, are they harder than the normal story missions or what?

Everything after Morgan and Kjelle is probably harder than the mid-game, yes. The chapters go up in difficulty depending on which chapter the mother joined (or father in female Morgan's case)

GC|Simon

Bought this game a couple of days ago and I'm already more than six hours in it. I played several Fire Emblem games and thos one seems to be another great entry into the series. Though I have a couple of questions:
- Since the first of the legendary is free I got and played it. Marth joined my crew. Do you recommend to get more legendary heroes for the story? Or would you recommend playing with the characters from the story itself?
- What are the benefits of the merge feature? Isn't it better to fight with each unit alone in order to get XP for everyone? I rarely use it.

Can't wait to play more. Unfortunately the weekend is already over :(

Kurtofan

Everything after Morgan and Kjelle is probably harder than the mid-game, yes. The chapters go up in difficulty depending on which chapter the mother joined (or father in female Morgan's case)

Ah, so that's why Gregor and Olivia's child mission is harder than what I'm used to?

Metroidvania

NOOOO! Just did Severa's side mission and forgot let her talk to that villager. Guess there's no other way to recruit her? :/

L+R+Start time.

Hope you didn't save over your file, lol.

- Since the first of the legendary is free I got and played it. Marth joined my crew. Do you recommend to get more legendary heroes for the story? Or would you recommend playing with the characters from the story itself?

DLC units have pretty nice growth rates and already have several assigned skills (some outside their 're-class' limitations) but cannot support anyone. They're entirely optional, made for people who are really fond of that character from past games. Personally, I never used any of them, the characters the main game gives you are plenty good enough.

What are the benefits of the merge feature? Isn't it better to fight with each unit alone in order to get XP for everyone? I rarely use it.

Pairing gives bonus stats to the main unit, as well the possibility of the 'paired' unit striking as well, or a lower possibility for them to block an incoming strike. Any xp you get from killing an enemy while paired is split between the units. (I think the main unit gets more, but am not sure. Veteran skill may have been influencing my perception of it)

Ah, so that's why Gregor and Olivia's child mission is harder than what I'm used to?

Yep. Her and Nah's are the hardest, iirc.

Top Bottom