• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

MicH

If you choose to put Grima to sleep then obviously you get different dialogue. Everyone supports the Avatar's decision and they vow to find a permanent solution to Grima. If you kill Grima, yea, the Avatar comes back after the credits. So it doesn't really matter which one you choose.
Interesting. I gotta try the other one! Also who is
this Priam dude? I don't remember seeing him in the game

Also I love this game so much I just ordered the soundtrack and art book from CDJapan. I hope I get them (the art book seems hard to find?) because I love the art and the music is amazing

I finished playing FE7 just before this one came out so I'm pretty sure there is :p

You mean magic triangle rather than anima triangle. Anima is one of the forms of magic in FE7 and in FE9+10 anima is divided into another triangle all of its own.

Yeah, FE7 just had a magic triangle with anima < light < dark. FE9 gave the three types of anima - wind, fire, and thunder - its own triangle, but there was no dark magic. FE10 reintroduced dark magic and had both triangles. Now Awakening is missing light magic and it doesn't have either one.

Draxal

Lon'qu and Cordelia make for an awesome kid, unless you would rather use Cordelia to farm out another Sorcerer in which case she's better off hooking up with Ricken.

I think Stahl's a really good parent, he gives more str and the myrm class (she's already beastly speedy/skilled from Coreldia's genes). Virion also works well as a sorc parent.

edit.

Kinda stuck on building spot bonus dlc spoilers
Aversa/Emmeryn's team

First character is going to be Dark Flier with Shadowgift/Limit Breaker/Galeforce/Vengeance (and I don't know the fifth skill).

Second character is going to be Sage with (Miracle I Guess)/Limit Breaker/Galeforce/Tomefaire/Support +.

Jintor

Donnel and Cordelia as mercs is almost laughably insane, their speed and defence is nonsensical. Just gotta grind weapon skills so they can equip weapons that will actually hurt the enemy...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Bah, got aversa's night but Freddy got killed so... Restart. Also I have to restart too, because without him it is literally impossible.

Is lunatic's drop rate for rare stuff on shiny tiles just higher?

Also improved my prologue to chapter 1 run to chrom at 2, av at 6 and Freddy at 3.

Starting to feel better, but man you really need that RNG to play nice at times.

I think Stahl's a really good parent, he gives more str and the myrm class (she's already beastly speedy/skilled from Coreldia's genes). Virion also works well as a sorc parent.

edit.

Kinda stuck on building spot bonus dlc spoilers
Aversa/Emmeryn's team

First character is going to be Dark Flier with Shadowgift/Limit Breaker/Galeforce/Vengeance (and I don't know the fifth skill).

Second character is going to be Sage with (Miracle I Guess)/Limit Breaker/Galeforce/Tomefaire/Support +.

For the first character, if you have Smash Brethren 3 (The one with Lyn) and hate archers and wind mages with a passion, give her Iote's Shield. If you want to cover some crazy distance with Galeforce (and I suppose that'd be real nice in the Challenge Pack), Carrier. If you feel dark magic's too inaccurate, Anathema.

Personally, I'd replace Miracle with Renewal for the second character. Lack of Vantage/Vengeance/Sol/Nosferatu makes being at 1hp tough to take advantage of and, well, if they would've died otherwise, chances are they're deep into enemy territory anyway and will be attacked again.

NeonZ

I'm kind of disappointed by the lack of variation of some of the conversations in the first Scramble map.

I've tried Morgan/Nah just now, and the conversation didn't acknowledge that the Morgan in that file is a Manakete (Tiki's daughter) at all. The first conversation actually kind of fits, but in the second one Nah talks about how she's a Manakete and Morgan doesn't understand her aging due to that, which kind of pulled me out of the game. Still worth it though, but I really wished they taken these things in consideration, especially considering how Morgan doesn't have many conversations there in the first place.

Maybe because I got the support like 3 times already, but I still find Cythnia and her father's supports to be truly amazing.

Her A support with Chrom is simply amazing. Is it like that with her non-Chrom fathers? I can't imagine it'd be as moving.
Can't have our fearless leader crying in front of everyone!

And it just makes me all the more disappointed in Morgan's supports with her parents. What did her supports with her mom accomplish? Nothing.

Her A support with Chrom is simply amazing. Is it like that with her non-Chrom fathers? I can't imagine it'd be as moving.
Can't have our fearless leader crying in front of everyone!

It's all the same besides I guess some random lines from the father. But, her last line in the A support is still the best.

I don't want to remember you like this. I want to remember you how you really were. Strong, and kind, and brave... My father, my hero... and my friend.

Lord Phol

People keep saying this game is easy on hard, but I'm at chapter 3 (or 4 can't remember) and have all ready lost two characters, one was 1 shotted and the other 2-shotted. Playing Classic as well so no more pegasus lady or horse lady.

I guess you always need to be in the mindset of killing every enemy around you in the same round so they can't counter attack? The AI always goes for the squishie ones so having "tanks" around doesn't seem to help alot.

Not sure if I should just go with normal classic, or reset from scratch and try again on hard with this new mindset.

8bit

Knows the Score
People keep saying this game is easy on hard, but I'm at chapter 3 (or 4 can't remember) and have all ready lost two characters, one was 1 shotted and the other 2-shotted. Playing Classic as well so no more pegasus lady or horse lady.

I guess you always need to be in the mindset of killing every enemy around you in the same round so they can't counter attack? The AI always goes for the squishie ones so having "tanks" around doesn't seem to help alot.

Not sure if I should just go with normal classic, or reset from scratch and try again on hard with this new mindset.

That frustrated me quite a bit at first, new characters would appear and be felled immediately. I started pairing the new, weak characters with those that can withstand a couple of blows but you've got to be really careful of arrows at first.

Sendou

Fire Emblem is the kind of game that requires careful planning. You could find a tactic useful where you lure enemies in by moving a stronger character right at the edge of their reach.

Just be prepared to restart the chapter from time to time and you'll be fine.

MLH

There are lots of different strategies you can take; sometimes it's best not to attack since the enemy will counter you then finish you off on their turn.
Also, if you have a damaged unit that can't escape the enemies range try paring them with another character, that way they can't get hit.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

If you kept playing, I'm pretty sure you would lose another horse lady and a dancer lady.

Go with Normal.

Westlo

Killed Cythnia 5 times in a row before I got her with 1 hp left, feels bad man. (did it first time no worries but lost Fred so you know the drill)

Nohar

Well, saying that the game is easy on hard is exagerated. In fact, the first 11 chapters or so are very difficult (especially if you don't abuse the random encounters). However, the game tends to become easier and easier, as you recruit more powerful units and/or promote them. Also, once you get your hand on a Dark Mage, you won't let him go (Nosferatu abuse aside, they have amazing Defense).

But, it's true that you need to plan your moves carefully. When you play on hard/classic, you have to plan some moves in advance, like in a chess game.
If you play on lunatic/classic, you have to plan every single move for the map from the get-go if you want to suceed.

Antiwhippy

Playing lunatic really does expose some of the flaws in a way. Like how come it doesn't update the enemy's movement range as I'm moving my unit? Oh that's a safe spot. Oh wait no, that was an unsafe spot that was previously safe because my unit is blocking it. Also the RNG for levels is infuriating. If there's only 1 stat increase I might as well restart, because I'll just get fucked over at latter levels.

All those weren't too bad on hard because at least you don't die immediately when the enemy swipes at you.

Demoli

Damn, some of the side stories to unlock the kids are really hard. Panne's kid was tricky, but one of the easiest. Cordelia's and Lissa's (those goddamn assassins one shotting everything not called Kellam or Chrom) were pretty bloody hard. Miriel's was pretty easy.

So far i have

Mariel (Sage) + Vaike (Warrior)

Chrom + Sumia (Falcon)

Ricken (Sage) + Mirabelle (Valkyrie)

Nowi + Donnel

Sully (Paladin) + Virion (Bow Knight)

Kellam (General) + Tharja (Sorceress)

Robin + Cordelia (Dark Falcon)

Gaius (Assassin) + Olivia

Working on Henry + Wyvern Rider and Frederick + Anna

Upgraded all my first generation folks at levels 18+ apart from Mirabelle (at 10, she was just too fragile) and Gaius (same thing).

Damn, some of the side stories to unlock the kids are really hard. Panne's kid was tricky, but one of the easiest. Cordelia's and Lissa's (those goddamn assassins one shotting everything not called Kellam or Chrom) were pretty bloody hard. Miriel's was pretty easy.

So far i have

Mariel (Sage) + Vaike (Warrior)

Chrom + Sumia (Falcon)

Ricken (Sage) + Mirabelle (Valkyrie)

Nowi + Donnel

Sully (Paladin) + Virion (Bow Knight)

Kellam (General) + Tharja (Sorceress)

Robin + Cordelia (Dark Falcon)

Gaius (Assassin) + Olivia

Working on Henry + Wyvern Rider and Frederick + Anna

Upgraded all my first generation folks at levels 18+ apart from Mirabelle (at 10, she was just too fragile) and Gaius (same thing).

Wait what Frederick + Anna

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Anna can only get with the Avatar, no one else.

And those aren't pairings that I'd go with, though Noire should turn out to be a pretty good Sorcerer with Kellam as the father.

Is Harvest Scramble an EXP map?

Not really, it's for meant for conversations and grinding the sparkly tiles.

You could train some weaker units there, but it'll be annoying with the Counter/Miracle/Vengeance Revenants and you'll want somebody reasonably strong to defeat the boss safely.

McNum

Each class has stat caps, and each unit has modifiers for that. For example Chrom's modifiers are +1 strength, +1 skill, +1 speed, +1 luck, -1 defense, -1 resistance.
I take it the Avatar's caps are determined by the Asset/Flaw pick in the beginning?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you max out a class and then switch another; will it just adjust your stats to fit the new class's caps?

Yeah, if your stats would be over the cap it would reduce the stat to the cap. Your stats are two sets of stats combined. Each class has their own base stats (this is what changes when you use a second or master seal) and the character's own stats accumulated through leveling up.

The game remembers your accumulated stats, so if you go from a promoted class back to a base class, and lose a whole bunch of stats, then back to a promoted class, you get them all back.

I take it the Avatar's caps are determined by the Asset/Flaw pick in the beginning?

Caps and growth rates are determined by that, yeah.

Ghazi

So does Frederick stay as amazing he is at the beginning of the game throughout the rest of the game? Seriously, he's one hitting almost every enemy I've put him up against, but I'm not that far yet. Just
got done rescuing Maribelle

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So does Frederick stay as amazing he is at the beginning of the game throughout the rest of the game? Seriously, he's one hitting almost every enemy I've put him up against, but I'm not that far yet. Just

Not really, he's a promoted unit (but not a very good one) so his experience growth is extremely slow compared to your other characters early in the game. And he doesn't really make up for it with good growth rates. Overusing him can lead to the mid-game and late-game being more difficult than they would be if you spread that experience around to other characters.

Okay, this is something I wanted to know.

So how do the stat boost items feature into this?

The permanent stat boost items add to the stats accumulated through levels.

Demoli

No, he is one of the worst upgraded units, he falls off very fast even on normal. Heck, my lissa got upgraded into a battle monk at lv 14 very early and she outdamaged him by quite a margin.

From someone who doesn't really look at in dephs mechanics (switching classe to get mroe skills, etc), I found Virion, Ricken and Tharja to be increadible powerhouses and Kellam a great Tank obviously. Sully was also pretty nimble with Virion, dodging a lot, and Lon'qu and Panne are a great pair both dodging a lot, high crit chance and very powerfull.

Antiwhippy

Alright, I think I'm liking this lunatic run. MC at 13, chrom at 6 and frederick at 5. Finished donnel's paralogue and about to embark on chapter 4.

Probably not the most optimal run out there, but I'll see how I go for now. At least I'm fairly sure I can survive chapter 5 & 6. Maybe. Might need to feed chrom more levels during chapter 4.

Survived chapter 3 by the skin of my teeth. If I haven't dodged one asshole archer I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get MC that high.

Its impossible for any character to theoretically get bad due to how second seals work. The problem is that he's prepromoted so he's going to gain levels more slowly than everyone else. Assuming you feed your weaker units kills, he's going to trail behind.

He's like any other Jeigan-archetype (early prepromote with silver lance) where his main strength is his high weapon proficiency and ability to take multiple hits initially. Except here, his growths are acceptable and second seals fix up his fairly awful bases. The problem is that you get to purchase second seals late in the game so you want an actual army so don't use him too much.

Westlo

So on my Hard playthrough (might wait until after I play Soul Sac first, what a month for handhelds...) should I second seal Fed like say after chapter 5 so he can actually be semi decent instead of ass?

Also looking @ Ebay prices for POR and RD... thank fuck i bought RD as soon as it was released on the Wii lol.

Second seals just lets anyone level up to infinity so you can fix up anyone's states through grinding. He's still going to gain levels slower than everyone else in your army (except other prepromotes) because his internal level is already extremely high.

The only time you actually should actively use Fred is if you're doing a Lunatic run. And only in the first 5 chapters because they are not completable without his silver lance.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Frederick is worth the second seal over other characters at the very beginning, best case scenario he will level 10 (internal level) + 1 (displayed level) but he'll be about as strong as a level 2-3 unit.

So instead of being a strong exp hog, he'll be a relatively weak exp hog without good growth rates to back him up.

Espada

My goodness, I've stumbled into my first marriage (Chrom and Sumia). All I did was team them up for a few missions since they work so well together and BAM! I like the S rank bonuses but I was sort of hoping I could wait until later in the game.

I checked the support thing just now and it seems like Sully and Virion want to S rank. Should I let them? Or is there some better match? The old fogey says they're a match made in heaven.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sully's kid is blah and Virion doesn't pass down anything particularly great. Kjelle would get pretty good skill and speed out of it but that's about it. Donnel, Gaius or a male avatar would give her access to the peg knight tree which she could take advantage of (Galeforce, Lancefaire). If you have a female avatar she's probably the one I'd leave out of the trio who need the father to give them peg knight (Tharja/Nowi + Donnel/Gaius).

Chrom is the only one with a forced marriage though.

And the relationship thing is completely random and doesn't have any impact on the game.

Top Bottom