• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Javier

FE7 joke, but still

m81nbZc.png

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm about to marry Sully to Vaike. Apropos, Frederick proved quite useful in Chapter 14 - single-handedly held the south passage (with Libra healing him occasionally).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to marry Sully to Vaike. Apropos, Frederick proved quite useful in Chapter 14 - single-handedly held the south passage (with Libra healing him occasionally).

That would actually be pretty decent, I'd have Vaike pass down Axefaire if possible, but if he's not a Berserkser and you're not grinding then oh well. Kid would make a good Hero that way.

But really, everybody makes a good Hero.

Espada

Sully's kid is blah and Virion doesn't pass down anything particularly great. Kjelle would get pretty good skill and speed out of it but that's about it. Donnel, Gaius or a male avatar would give her access to the peg knight tree which she could take advantage of (Galeforce, Lancefaire). If you have a female avatar she's probably the one I'd leave out of the trio who need the father to give them peg knight (Tharja/Nowi + Donnel/Gaius).

Chrom is the only one with a forced marriage though.

And the relationship thing is completely random and doesn't have any impact on the game.

Ohhhh, okay. So this whole support thing is a means towards getting the abilities you want in the next generation (on top of the battle perks). I don't know what peg knight tree is, I'm assuming that's the name for the abilities you listed?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ohhhh, okay. So this whole support thing is a means towards getting the abilities you want in the next generation (on top of the battle perks). I don't know what peg knight tree is, I'm assuming that's the name for the abilities you listed?

By tree I mean Pegasus Knight and the classes you can promote to (Dark Flier and Falcon Knight). Mercenary tree would be Mercenary, Hero, and Bow Knight. And so forth.

But yeah, the second gen characters get the classes their parents had, with some changes here and there for gender exclusive classes (and some random changes, like Panne not passing Wyvern Rider and Kjelle getting knight as an extra class).

That's why Donnel and Gaius are good matches for Sully, Nowi, or Tharja. Those females don't have Pegasus Knight, but Donnel and Gaius both have male-exclusive classes that are swapped out for Pegasus Knight if they have daughters. And as far as gender-exclusive classes and skills go Peg Knight has the most to offer.

It's also a good idea to factor in skills from male or female only classes to pass down, since that's the only way a female character can get Axefaire, or a male character can get Galeforce or Lancefaire.

It's not worth worrying about that stuff on your first playthrough though. Better to just do whatever and learn as you go, then on the second playthrough you can do a more ideal/perfectionist run.

Chrom

Playing lunatic really does expose some of the flaws in a way. Like how come it doesn't update the enemy's movement range as I'm moving my unit? Oh that's a safe spot. Oh wait no, that was an unsafe spot that was previously safe because my unit is blocking it. Also the RNG for levels is infuriating. If there's only 1 stat increase I might as well restart, because I'll just get fucked over at latter levels.

All those weren't too bad on hard because at least you don't die immediately when the enemy swipes at you.

This is only my own personal thought, but I think it'd be kind of disorienting if displayed enemy movement ranges changed in real time as you were moving your own units.

Draxal

By tree I mean Pegasus Knight and the classes you can promote to (Dark Flier and Falcon Knight). Mercenary tree would be Mercenary, Hero, and Bow Knight. And so forth.

But yeah, the second gen characters get the classes their parents had, with some changes here and there for gender exclusive classes (and some random changes, like Panne not passing Wyvern Rider and Kjelle getting knight as an extra class).

That's why Donnel and Gaius are good matches for Sully, Nowi, or Tharja. Those females don't have Pegasus Knight, but Donnel and Gaius both have male-exclusive classes that are swapped out for Pegasus Knight if they have daughters. And as far as gender-exclusive classes and skills go Peg Knight has the most to offer.

It's also a good idea to factor in skills from male or female only classes to pass down, since that's the only way a female character can get Axefaire, or a male character can get Galeforce or Lancefaire.

Ayup, it also allows you to truly complement a char with an appropiate skill.

Anyway, here's the caster team I was thinking of the other day with it's final adjustments.

Fem MU Sorc; Chrom (Great Lord Support).
Lucina (Sorc); Brady (Sage; Ricken dad).
Morgan (Sorc); Nah (Sage; Donnel dad).
Inigo (Sorc, Libra dad); Cynthia(Sage; Henry dad).
Severa (Sorc, Virion dad); Owain (Sage; Lonqu dad).

All the sorcs will have forged aversa's nights.

Santiako

Sooo... I've been marrying people as they've come naturally, should I aim for specific couples or should I leave that for a second playthrough?

I like my couples so far
Chrom/Sumia -> seemed obvious
Sully/Stalh-> always ride together so ofc they'll end up banging
Kellam/Miriel-> just sort of happened, they are both so dull that they make a good couple
Donnel/Nowi-> Donny became so badass that he ended up banging a dragon
Avatar/Tharja-> Marrying the hot crazy stalker can't be a bad idea right?
Lissa/Lon'qu-> sort of happened, but I liked their interactions
Gaius/Cordelia-> she carried him everywhere to loot so they somehow fell in love

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo... I've been marrying people as they've come naturally, should I aim for specific couples or should I leave that for a second playthrough?

I like my couples so far
Chrom/Sumia -> seemed obvious
Sully/Stalh-> always ride together so ofc they'll end up banging
Kellam/Miriel-> just sort of happened, they are both so dull that they make a good couple
Donnel/Nowi-> Donny became so badass that he ended up banging a dragon
Avatar/Tharja-> Marrying the hot crazy stalker can't be a bad idea right?
Lissa/Lon'qu-> sort of happened, but I liked their interactions
Gaius/Cordelia-> she carried him everywhere to loot so they somehow fell in love

Second playthrough, when you have a much better feel for the game. Makes it a lot less stressful than trying to optimize everything when you still don't entirely grasp all the systems.

And you can browse through the FE13 page on SerenesForest without concern for potential spoilers.

I'd go for the pairings you like too.

Fire Emblem in general has great replay value and this game in particular has it in spades thanks to the pairing system.

Chrom

I'd prefer that than having lissa die in one attack. :(

Haha, understandable, but in fairness, I don't see a good reason not to know where the enemies could move when taking your own units' positions into account ahead of time. It's why you have to really be meticulous with your actions on Lunatic because positioning is pretty important; I know I've goofed up a couple of times.

So for some reason I've ended up with Olivia reaching level 30 in the Dancer class, not exactly sure why, but I'd like to turn her into a usable unit. Since I've got the full range of promoted classes available with a second seal could anyone offer suggestions on what I should be doing with her?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So for some reason I've ended up with Olivia reaching level 30 in the Dancer class, not exactly sure why, but I'd like to turn her into a usable unit. Since I've got the full range of promoted classes available with a second seal, could anyone offer suggestions on what I should be doing with her?

Swordmaster first for Astra and Swordfaire, then Assassin.

Or Dark Flier for Galeforce (which she can/should pass to her kid), then go to Swordmaster then Assassin. She's a bad Dark Flier though.

Chrom

What? SELLING stuff to merchants also triggers their 'Poof away when you return to the world map'? Son of a bitch.

Yeah, you should watch out for that. If you're going to make use of the merchants, do everything you need to do in one go.

Swordmaster first for Astra and Swordfaire, then Assassin.

Or Dark Flier for Galeforce (which she can/should pass to her kid), then go to Swordmaster then Assassin. She's a bad Dark Flier though.

If I end up going down the Dark Flier and Swordmaster routes for those skills will she be able to take care of herself to grind the exp? Getting to level 30 Dancer was bad enough as she just couldn't kill or survive attacks from anything that wasn't level 15 or lower, I don't want to have to lug around dead weight for any longer.

cackhyena

I'm only far enough that one couple married, and I didn't have a choice. Chrom and Sully. Are we supposed to be able to choose somehow? Cuz I never had that option.

Death train keeps on rolling for me. So many units dead, always the ones I try to raise up because I like them so much, either that or they just join and get 1 shot. The units I barely care about just breeze. I'm just scraping by lol. Last night I got careless and Chrom died for the first time after 12 or so hours of playtime. In retrospect I wish I had been leveling Kellam since the start, he's a beast.

Sendou

I'm only far enough that one couple married, and I didn't have a choice. Chrom and Sully. Are we supposed to be able to choose somehow? Cuz I never had that option.

Chrom is the only one who gets married after you progress to a certain point in the story. If you don't have a S support by then he just chooses the one he has the highest support level with. Other characters just get married when you initiate their S support conversation so you can control that.

NeonZ

Chrom is the only character who marries automatically, with the character with the highest support level or number of support points with him. Everyone else only will marry when you get an S support for them.

Chrom gets automatically married to the girl closest to him whether you wanted to or not after the end of a certain chapter.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If I end up going down the Dark Flier and Swordmaster routes for those skills will she be able to take care of herself to grind the exp? Getting to level 30 Dancer was bad enough as she just couldn't kill or survive attacks from anything that wasn't level 15 or lower, I don't want to have to lug around dead weight for any longer.

She'll get a decent promotion-tier stat boost by changing to Swordmaster or Dark Flier.

Swordmaster is better her in terms of self-sufficiency since the stats and growth rates are more in tune with what she needs, Dark Flier is more of a magic class and she's not good with that. Galeforce is one of the best skills in the game though, and ideally you want to pass it to her kid (a male, so he can't get it himself). Plus as a Dark Flier she's starting back over with E tier weapons.

In either case, she should be able to handle grinding better than she did as a dancer though. If you're entirely worried about her being a usable character and not really concerned about eugenics or anything, hitting Swordmaster would work fine. And you can always go through Dark Flier later.

Draxal

She'll get a decent promotion-tier stat boost by changing to Swordmaster or Dark Flier.

Swordmaster is better her in terms of self-sufficiency since the stats and growth rates are more in tune with what she needs, Dark Flier is more of a magic class and she's not good with that. Galeforce is one of the best skills in the game though, and ideally you want to pass it to her kid (a male, so he can't get it himself). Plus as a Dark Flier she's starting back over with E tier weapons.

In either case, she should be able to handle grinding better than she did as a dancer though. If you're entirely worried about her being a usable character and not really concerned about eugenics or anything, hitting Swordmaster would work fine. And you can always go through Dark Flier later.

Falcon Knight is a possibility too, but it's still a pain.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Falcon Knight is a possibility too, but it's still a pain.

Not much reason to hit that class though. Worse than Assassin unless you care more about movement than better stats. She gets a -faire skill for either weapon.

Swordmaster has the best growths for her (particularly strength) and two good skills, and Assassin has the best stats. And Dark Flier is just there to farm Galeforce from.

And her defense growth is going to be terrible regardless of what class you put her through though. Growth rate is 25 in every class.

Alright, thanks. I'll pass on going down the Dark Flier route and stick with Swordmaster to Assassin then. I'm not really bothered about passing down skills to the children as I want to restart on Hard/Classic upon finishing the game anyway, that'll be the time to worry about inheritance and such.

Draxal

Not much reason to hit that class though. Worse than Assassin unless you care more about movement than better stats. She gets a -faire skill for either weapon.

Swordmaster has the best growths for her (particularly strength) and two good skills, and Assassin has the best stats. And Dark Flier is just there to farm Galeforce from.

And her defense growth is going to be terrible regardless of what class you put her through though. Growth rate is 25 in every class.

Lancefaire helps out on Dark Flier and the Bride class. Big thing about Falcon Knight though is she gets the ability to rescue staff spam, so it's by far the easiest to level.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lancefaire helps out on Dark Flier and the Bride class. Big thing about Falcon Knight though is she gets the ability to rescue staff spam, so it's by far the easiest to level.

That's true, didn't even think of the rescue spamming. So you could just do that for 5 minutes then run through Dark Flier a bit more easily.

Jintor

Between Donnel, Cordelia, Lon'qu, MC and Chrom, any map with choke points is guaranteed EXECUTION LAND. Every enemy has a hit rate in their 20s or lower and every single one of my tanks is dealing like 25 damage per hit even with an iron sword.

Well, I did grind maps for a while to get to this point, and some of the side stories still scare the living bejesus out of me, so it's not like I've completely wrecked the game... yet

Chapter 14 was hilarious. Even Nowi, paired with Donnel's ridiculous stat boosts, took on an entire ship by herself and won, even mopping up the pegusi reinforcements later

Sadist

Pairing character with each other absolutely rules. I completed chapter 16 (lol that dude with huge moustache) in about six turns and I think i got hit about four times by enemy troops? Amazing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess Merchants on the world map won't sell duplicate items? Would be nice if I could get 3x talismans :lol

Capping resistance on most characters is going to be horrible. :(

Chrom

I guess Merchants on the world map won't sell duplicate items? Would be nice if I could get 3x talismans :lol

Capping resistance on most characters is going to be horrible. :(

It's always a quantity of one for each item being sold, yeah. I'd sure like to buy dozens of Second Seals very early on in the game if it weren't the case.

darkbanjo

Frederick got critted in the second mission... I googled his name and found an article that said he's a tank that's pretty important for getting through the start of the game... Should I just start over?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Frederick got critted in the second mission... I googled his name and found an article that said he's a tank that's pretty important for getting through the start of the game... Should I just start over?

He's only important on lunatic, on normal and hard you're better off not using him much at all since he just hogs experience that's better to spread among other units.

If you're not great at the game like me Frederick can get you out of plenty of jams. He's handy to have around.
I don't know what I'd do without him at this point for some missions. Then again probably my other characters would be up to snuff/not dead if I didn't rely on him so much. lol

Anteo

Fred, being a promoted unit, will take a lot of exp to level up.
Other characters will be better than him in no time, is better not to use him unless you are fond of grinding exp for other characters. However he is really usefull early for a pair up and to get you out of really bad situtations.

Ghazi

I don't think Frederick is worth the second seal over other characters at the very beginning, best case scenario he will level 10 (internal level) + 1 (displayed level) but he'll be about as strong as a level 2-3 unit.

So instead of being a strong exp hog, he'll be a relatively weak exp hog without good growth rates to back him up.

Its impossible for any character to theoretically get bad due to how second seals work. The problem is that he's prepromoted so he's going to gain levels more slowly than everyone else. Assuming you feed your weaker units kills, he's going to trail behind.

He's like any other Jeigan-archetype (early prepromote with silver lance) where his main strength is his high weapon proficiency and ability to take multiple hits initially. Except here, his growths are acceptable and second seals fix up his fairly awful bases. The problem is that you get to purchase second seals late in the game so you want an actual army so don't use him too much.

No, he is one of the worst upgraded units, he falls off very fast even on normal. Heck, my lissa got upgraded into a battle monk at lv 14 very early and she outdamaged him by quite a margin.

From someone who doesn't really look at in dephs mechanics (switching classe to get mroe skills, etc), I found Virion, Ricken and Tharja to be increadible powerhouses and Kellam a great Tank obviously. Sully was also pretty nimble with Virion, dodging a lot, and Lon'qu and Panne are a great pair both dodging a lot, high crit chance and very powerfull.

Not really, he's a promoted unit (but not a very good one) so his experience growth is extremely slow compared to your other characters early in the game. And he doesn't really make up for it with good growth rates. Overusing him can lead to the mid-game and late-game being more difficult than they would be if you spread that experience around to other characters.

The permanent stat boost items add to the stats accumulated through levels.
Wow, thank you for all the answers guys. I've been trying to keep all my units evenly leveled though so I don't think it'll be an issue if I need to drop him mid game. He's just really helpful as it is right now, since I'm not as far as you guys I don't understand some of the things mentioned (second seals and promoted units?) but once I finish the game I think it'll be fine

Draxal

Wow, thank you for all the answers guys. I've been trying to keep all my units evenly leveled though so I don't think it'll be an issue if I need to drop him mid game. He's just really helpful as it is right now, since I'm not as far as you guys I don't understand some of the things mentioned (second seals and promoted units?) but once I finish the game I think it'll be fine

I wouldn't do that, focus on a core 10-16, otherwise it's wasted xp (although in this fire emblem, it's no where as big as problem as other fire emblems).

Anteo

An easier way to explain it is this: See Fred's level? add to that 20. That's his actual level. Now you know why he is so powerfull and why he levels slowly. (And his stats are bad for a unit in that level)

I wouldn't do that, focus on a core 10-16, otherwise it's wasted xp (although in this fire emblem, it's no where as big as problem as other fire emblems).

Grinding may fix that, but it also may turn off people. Heck we had one gaffer complaining back in the OT1 about how the game is balanced around grinding, when we know is possible to make no grind runs (play main chapters only) in this game.

Not really, it's for meant for conversations and grinding the sparkly tiles.

You could train some weaker units there, but it'll be annoying with the Counter/Miracle/Vengeance Revenants and you'll want somebody reasonably strong to defeat the boss safely.

Wait, can you get cool weapons from these sparkly tiles?

FE7 joke, but still

m81nbZc.png

There aren't any enemy Soldiers in this game, are there. Step up your game, IS!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like that is the case. And I know there was the generic soldier portrait but I don't remember any actual soldier enemies during the story.

Edit: Looks like there were. Just not very many I guess.

iavi

Frederick has gone from being my strongest unit to being one of my weakest. My Unit, on the other hand, one manned the whole map that you first see Panne's son on--both armies, paired with tharja, with Nosferatsu as his tome.

He's so strong, he's broken as hell. Kinda the new Fredrick, taking all the exp.

Top Bottom