• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Sadist

That dancer girl is really useful for level grinding other characters.
Yup. I've used her countless times on the free DLC map for level/relationship grinding. Works like a charm. It took me about forty minutes to establish a Nowi x Ricken and Gregor x Cordelia relationship and promoted Ricken, Gregor and Cordelia :p

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Bah. Not sure if I'm having that much fun in lunatic anymore.

Sure, I can actually clear most of the maps now, but I rely too heavily on my overpowered MC and Chrom (without any grinding really, unless you count doing paralogues and the Risen who pop up on maps as grinding) but I wanted to use more than just 3 units. But now no one else is viable because they simply can't take a hit from any enemy, at all. So I have to hope that my MC, frederick or Chrom doesn't outright kill an enemy just so I can feed people some levels, but in doing so expose them to a lot of danger that makes me lose the game anyway if the RNG isn't playing nice.

Wondering if I messed up by not trying to level up evenly before the enemies got the weapons that can kill the recruited units at their starting level, but it was hard enough just trying to survive early on, which was fun in a masochistic way. Now I can't find a viable way to level the lower level units up other than through DLC.

edit: you know what, I kinda wanted to acquire every support conversation (I probably only got 20% of it first time through), so I might as well do some grinding anyway.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Is there any DLC map that's worth the price of those available in Europe?

Depends on what you want.

Harvest scramble is good for seeing some same gender conversations that don't happen in the main-game, and they're pretty much all hilarious (though some more than others have certain...subtext given the context of the intro to the chapter)

KjellexSevera is da best.

Other than that, the Golden Gaffe set is useful if you plan to play the later, harder DLC, or are planning on doing a lunatic run in the future and want to help your chances.

Other than that, the 'essential' maps are Rogues 3 for Limit Break, Smash Brethren 2 for Bride, Lost Bloodlines 2 for Dread Fighter, and maybe Lost Bloodlines 3 for Paragon, and maybe Champions 3 for all stats +2 if you're in the early game. (Smash 3 has Iote's shield, but it's less useful as a skill scroll as opposed to an item)

Any other DLC is only really useful if you want the character associated with it.

Is it just me or is there a sudden difficulty spike when trying to recruit the kids?

They increase in difficulty in order of which chapter the mother (or avatar) was recruited. So Noire's is going to be one of the hardest, followed by Olivia and Cherche.

McNum

They increase in difficulty in order of which chapter the mother (or avatar) was recruited. So Noire's is going to be one of the hardest, followed by Olivia and Cherche.
I don't suppose there's a list somewhere that roughly estimates how hard each paralogue/side story is?

I know the ones that unlock just by doing story missions are a little bit harder than the story mission you unlocked it from, so you can usually just do those right away, but other than that, it's hard to keep track of when you have a sea of green dots.

I don't suppose there's a list somewhere that roughly estimates how hard each paralogue/side story is?

I know the ones that unlock just by doing story missions are a little bit harder than the story mission you unlocked it from, so you can usually just do those right away, but other than that, it's hard to keep track of when you have a sea of green dots.

You could gauge the difficulty by looking at the enemy levels (and stats).

Also, the game lets you exit a chapter during the preparations screen, so if you think the enemies look too tough, you still have time to back out.

Here's a quick list I made:

Promoted Levels are indicated by a *

Paralogue Boss Level Enemy level No. of enemies
5 10* 20 to 3* 21
6 15* 8* 27
7 12* 5* 30
8 8* 19 to 3* 19 + 17 reinforcements
9 12* 3* to 5* 24
10 13* 6* 23 + 8 reinforcements
11 15* 8* 30 + 6 reinforcements
12 10* 15 to 3* 24 + 6 reinforcements
13 13* 6* 11 + 11 NPCs
14 10* 20 to 3* 17 + 29 reinforcements
15 14* 7* 27
16 14* 7* 34

McNum

Hmm, the toughest single enemy I've faced so far was a boss Risen with a Silver weapon with a 42 attack. They were blocking the Second Seal store and I needed one. That ended up a fairly even fight, had to watch out, but winnable.

Looks to me like most of those paralogues would be possible at this level, then. And be worth a decent amount of EXP, too. My highest is a 20/10 Tharja, but she went the straight path there, my Chrom and Avatar have technically gained more levels than her.

Also I find myself actually buying Silver weapons in this game. With no speed penalty and okay durability, it's a much easier choice than in some of the earlier games. A pack full of Silver and Arc spells and the best units I have should be enough to pull it off.

Also I find myself actually buying Silver weapons in this game. With no speed penalty and okay durability, it's a much easier choice than in some of the earlier games. A pack full of Silver and Arc spells and the best units I have should be enough to pull it off.

It also helps that you can shop whenever you want and pretty much make money whenever you want as well. :p

Though I been defaulting to Steel lately out of habit.

McNum

It also helps that you can shop whenever you want and pretty much make money whenever you want as well. :p

Though I been defaulting to Steel lately out of habit.
Yeah, I like Steel, too. Silver is just for when you absolutely want to be sure it's dead. Which is most of the time when you're not training someone.

Although if I find a store selling Killer weapons... I'll have to give everyone who can wield them one.

Yeah, I like Steel, too. Silver is just for when you absolutely want to be sure it's dead. Which is most of the time when you're not training someone.

Although if I find a store selling Killer weapons... I'll have to give everyone who can wield them one.

You can start buying them in the later chapters.

Hell, you can even buy brave weapons if you so desire.

McNum

Gestahl

Hold on, can you summon a Spotpass team, buy their stuff, dismiss them, then summon them again to buy their stuff once more? Even with just the first set out, that would be an infinite amount of non-legendary weapons only limited by gold. And, well, Golden Gaffe... so technically no limit.

Yes, basically only the boots and that one staff have actual value as an item in this game, everything else is essentially limitless.

Sleepy

Has anyone had difficulty grabbing the latest Spotpass map? I have tried several times but keep getting an error.

Just recruited the first kid. The amount of content in this game is insane.

Wiseblade

YES

FINALLY

I was able to figue out what was stopping me from getting Spotpass data! I just hadn't not checked for a full 24 hours. I tear myself away from the game for a full day and... Everything's there.

Now I feel kind of silly.
¬_¬

Draxal

Hold on, can you summon a Spotpass team, buy their stuff, dismiss them, then summon them again to buy their stuff once more? Even with just the first set out, that would be an infinite amount of non-legendary weapons only limited by gold. And, well, Golden Gaffe... so technically no limit.

Ayup,

Celica is important for Celica's gale (the best mage tome in the game/non dark mage).
Ashnard sells Tomahawks and Spears.

McNum

Yes, basically only the boots and that one staff have actual value as an item in this game, everything else is essentially limitless.

Ayup,

Celica is important for Celica's gale (the best mage tome in the game/non dark mage).
Ashnard sells Tomahawks and Spears.
Wow. This game isn't that hard to break, is it? Celica isn't out here yet and I think it will be a few weeks until that, but I did get a lucky Celica's Gale drop off the barracks.

Guess I'll go shopping for interesting weapons, then. Infinite Killer weapons would be crazy if it wasn't that Brave weapons also are infinite...

Anteo

Wow. This game isn't that hard to break, is it? Celica isn't out here yet and I think it will be a few weeks until that, but I did get a lucky Celica's Gale drop off the barracks.

Guess I'll go shopping for interesting weapons, then. Infinite Killer weapons would be crazy if it wasn't that Brave weapons also are infinite...

Well, you can get those in stores, so no need to summon a spotpass team. Unless you want them early in the game.

McNum

Well, you can get those in stores, so no need to summon a spotpass team. Unless you want them early in the game.
Only up to chapter 18. And with a good 25,000 gold lying around. Didn't run Golden Gaffe yet, either. Might as well buy something good.

Too bad Shadow Dragon is so far away. Tiki has a Dragonstone+. I'd like a few of those for, well... Tiki.

Only up to chapter 18. And with a good 25,000 gold lying around. Didn't run Golden Gaffe yet, either. Might as well buy something good.

Too bad Shadow Dragon is so far away. Tiki has a Dragonstone+. I'd like a few of those for, well... Tiki.

Buyable in Chapter 23!

Aexact

Bah. Not sure if I'm having that much fun in lunatic anymore.

Yeah, that was my experience. I would try to get more people up to par but dragging them all the way to the end, they were still largely liabilities. It was the Chrom x MU show all the way to endgame.

edit: you know what, I kinda wanted to acquire every support conversation (I probably only got 20% of it first time through), so I might as well do some grinding anyway.

Hmmm, I wouldn't collect supports in Lunatic for the sake of collecting supports but if you really want to try and make more units viable...

NeonZ

Sure, I can actually clear most of the maps now, but I rely too heavily on my overpowered MC and Chrom (without any grinding really, unless you count doing paralogues and the Risen who pop up on maps as grinding) but I wanted to use more than just 3 units.

Paralogues not so much, but Risen battles are always grinding. At least, when most people talk about playing through without grinding, they're talking about playing without any skirmishes, only going from one chapter to the next one (and paralogues). The avatar can become overpowered even playing like that though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, that was my experience. I would try to get more people up to par but dragging them all the way to the end, they were still largely liabilities. It was the Chrom x MU show all the way to endgame.

Hmmm, I wouldn't collect supports in Lunatic for the sake of collecting supports but if you really want to try and make more units viable...

Eh, I probably won't grind till I get to like second seal and master seal people to max stats with all sorts of skills (because I'm not crazy :p), but I can see the path I'm taking now in lunatic and it involves setting my MC up to be a sorceror with nosferatu. Then most battles will be just me sending my avatar paired up with chrom into enemy range and just skipping the battles, like I did for hard.

Which is actually what I'm doing now anyway, only I'm using frederick if I need to guard another chokepoint. Even without dark magic it's still fairly viable.

Nohar

Just found this fan-art on DA (Peace, by hasuyawn):

peace_by_hasuyawn-d6306l6.jpg

Pretty neat. I went all "Daaaaaaaaw" when I saw the kitten around Stahl's neck. I want to include him in my army now :'(

My Chrom is becoming really interesting in my current playthrough (Hard/Classic again). He's currently a level 7 Cavalier, and has all around very good stats, minus resistance of course (my plan for him being Lord 10 -> Cavalier 20 -> Paladin 15 -> Great Lord 20). The S rank with MU helps too.

My Lissa seems to gain some Magic this time (her Magic score was 10 at level 20 during my first playthrough...), and my Virion is becoming way more interesting too. I'm still not sure of what to do with him: Archer 20 -> Bow Knight 15 -> Sniper 15 -> Bow Knight? I don't want to reclass him as a Mage (I don't see the point) and I'm going to have a lot of Wyvern Rider later. And, well, I want to keep a good bow user.

I ditched Sumia in favor of Cordelia. I guess I'll need to unlock Sumia's daughter later, but, well, I'd rather focus on a Pegasus Knight that I actually like.

My Lon'qu has pathetic Strenght though: 9 at level 10 (Gaius would actually be more powerful than my Lon'qu if it weren't for the fact he can't use steel swords yet).

Very impressive art.

I really like all the little details for the characters.

I think this would make an awesome wallpaper too. I'll make a note on that.

Oxx

There's not much love in my team considering it mostly consists of ladies + Chrom and my dude. And the game just auto-married Chrom.

I liked the piece more when Kotaku first made a post for it because the commenters put a ton of annotations over Kellam's face, making me totally bypass him.

There should be a Where's Waldo? type book for him, but in actuality, he's not in any pages.

Kellam looks quite moe in that piece.

Would buy such a book. Would be amazing.

MicH

So for pairings I've been thinking:

Chrom x Olivia
Gaius x Nowi
Panne x Gregor
Lissa x Libra (or Ricken, a bit unsure)
Maribelle x Ricken (or Libra, depends on who Lissa marries)
Tharja x Donnel
Sumia x Henry
Sully x Vaike
Cordelia x Kellam (or Lon'qu?)

No idea about Miriel, no idea who to marry MU to. The above means that Kjelle won't get Galeforce, unless I marry MU to her.. and I don't like that :p I might have him marry Lucina for Morgan with Aether

iavi

I actually had trouble with that one but I've somehow managed it. I find the one with Noire to be harder for some reason. lol.

Nah's in the haunted mansion is fuccking ANNOYING.

Rival bands is intimidating, just for the sheer amount of troops on the field if you chose to take on both, but that haunted house mission is another level of fuckery

No idea about Miriel, no idea who to marry MU to. The above means that Kjelle won't get Galeforce, unless I marry MU to her.. and I don't like that :p

Fredrick and Miriel are what I went with.

Aexact

that's a pretty awesome fan art

I guess Lucina is Morgan's mom in this one? :p

Looks like they're siblings. It's referencing Lucina x Sibling support with the Falchion and apple cutting.

Yeah, I only have Stahl, Frederik Kellam/Lon'qu (depends on who Cordelia marries), so yeah, not a lot to choose from. Might just go with Frederick as well, Stahl is so generic and boring.

But Stahl passes Vantage as a dad! Also, I liked his supports with Miriel. Way to make being average an army benefit.

Top Bottom