• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

daakusedo

I played a bit and now have choice to do ch6 and 8, so with main missions I really need careful planning and that's really rewarding but still can't have a place for leveling characters so maybe my mistake is to use the maximum characters possible in a mission in place of the more powerful paired up with low levels one but even when I do it in bonus missions, it's pretty rare the guys I want to train attack when paired up.

iavi

I played a bit and now have choice to do ch6 and 8, so with main missions I really need careful planning and that's really rewarding but still can't have a place for leveling characters so maybe my mistake is to use the maximum characters possible in a mission in place of the more powerful paired up with low levels one but even when I do it in bonus missions, it's pretty rare the guys I want to train attack when paired up.

Buy reeking boxes and train

Frederick has gone from being my strongest unit to being one of my weakest. My Unit, on the other hand, one manned the whole map that you first see Panne's son on--both armies, paired with tharja, with Nosferatsu as his tome.

He's so strong, he's broken as hell. Kinda the new Fredrick, taking all the exp.

Well, that's kinda what happens to the Jeigan type characters and why it's usually not worth it to train them, and, well, dark magic is pretty much the most broken thing in the game, so yeah.

Nohar

I was afraid I did a huge mistake by taking Luck as my flaw for MU, but she is turning out just fine, with regular level-up in this aera. Having her Speed as her asset really is a godbless (especially compared to my previous male MU who really had an hard time getting his Speed at a decent level).

Skirmishes aren't necessary in Hard Mode (at least, I don't feel like they are), but they certainly make the game easier early on if you manage to beat them (I was lucky enough to have a skirmish full of thieves: extra exp!), and it's perfect to train Donnel, the children and characters who really need some baby-sitting before becoming useful.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
A mighty dumb question: what to do with a lvl 20 Great Lord?

Is this game accessible for a new player? I've never played any of the series but have a few RPGs under my belt? Will I be able to enjoy this one or is it to hard/niche?

Reclass him into another class for more skills and more stat gains? I guess either a Paladin, a Great Knight or a Bow Knight could work.

You can make him a Cavalier if you want Discipline or an Archer if you like archers.

Another option is to make him back into a Great Lord again for more stat gains.

iavi

Is this game accessible for a new player? I've never played any of the series but have a few RPGs under my belt? Will I be able to enjoy this one or is it to hard/niche?

Hard, no. But on normal, with permadeath is a good jumping in point. Most of the friends I have playing it, are playing the series for the first time and enjoying the hell out of it.

On that note, there not being an actual MP mode is kinda bull. C'mon, IS. The double dual mode is fun, but is limited as all hell.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'd say go Great Knight (Luna is redundant, but Dual Guard+ can be worth it) or Paladin (Aegis). Chrom gains nothing from the Archer classes.

Statistically, Paladin is a more balanced class which I prefer over the unbalanced classes like Great Knight (bad skill/speed, but great strength/defense).

You should be fine, this game is basically designed for newcomers. Lot of the more complicated aspects of the series have been toned down or outright removed, the normal difficulty is quite easy, and there's a casual mode so that removes permadeath.

I think its easier on an RPG player than a strategy player. It really is just an RPG where you move around each battlefield, using the environment to your advantage as well as skills/items/characters.

I've found it really easy to get into, just needed to learn its more RPG than a strategy game.

Anteo

Can I screw myself up with making all the wrong choices? As that is one of my strong points ;)

Not really other than a random gameover because your main unit was exposed (but just reload the file), and if your units fall behind you can correct many things by grinding, unless you are against grinding in which case, yeah.
Btw, with okayish choices, grinding is not necesary at all.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Can I screw myself up with making all the wrong choices?

Storywise the choices do nothing but change a little dialogue.

Gameplay-wise, well, poor tactics will definitely screw you. As far as unit development you can grind out any problems you come across. Grinding isn't necessary though, if you play "correctly."

Aexact

On normal mode, the slide guides explain every mechanic of the game. The slide guides also assume that Awakening might be your first SRPG. It teaches you how to move, attack, and all the new stuff too so even if you didn't play RPGs before, Awakening has that covered.

Not to say that the tutorials are intrusive, they're regulated to the bottom of the screen and happen concurrently with the battle rather then pausing the game to explain. More important points will draw attention to the details. And if that still sounds too bothersome, you can turn the guides off.

McNum

And that is Paralogue 17 done where the AI showed incredible tenacity, but not that much common sense. Swarming Lon'qu? Yeah, okay, his Def isn't the greatest, I can see the reason, had a few tense moments with him. Then he hit Swordmaster 5. And decided enough was enough. He must have gotten a third of the kills that mission. Lon'qu brand blenders. they're Astra-licious! The other third went to Chrom. "Attack the Lord!" Yes... I'm sure your 12% hit chance for 4 damage will impress everyone.

So, got me a new party member:
Tiki.
Level 20 Manakete with a Dragonstone+. If I make the assumption that she probably can beat up most of the rest of the game, would that be far off? Will need more Dragonstone+s, I'd imagine... I could start all kind of Second Seal shenanigans with her, of course, but... Dragonstone+! I'll grind for skills later.

Of course, with her on my side, I now have the big pairing up question to answer: Who will the Avatar pair up with? I see three choices: Lissa because she's cute and to get two Avatar children, Lucina for Lord Morgan (does it work that way?) and
Tiki
for Manakete Morgan.

Should i keep spoiler tagging
Tiki
, by the way?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really think there's much point, she's been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread.

And yeah, she's pretty much immediately playable if you did that paralogue right when it popped up.

Also, no, Lord class cannot be passed down.

McNum

I don't really think there's much point, she's been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread.

And yeah, she's pretty much immediately playable if you did that paralogue right when it popped up.

Also, no, Lord class cannot be passed down.
Fine, no more tags on Tiki. And yeah, I did the paralogue immediately. I have a few green dots and they're all for the children. I have no idea when to do those, really, other than I think I want to delay Sully/Vaike's kid until I reclass Vaike to berserker to get Wrath or something. Axefaire, maybe. I could see a worse inheritance than Axefaire/Luna at least.

Aw, too bad on the Lord class. Would have been a little broken, maybe.

Fine, no more tags on Tiki. And yeah, I did the paralogue immediately. I have a few green dots and they're all for the children. I have no idea when to do those, really, other than I think I want to delay Sully/Vaike's kid until I reclass Vaike to berserker to get Wrath or something. Axefaire, maybe. I could see a worse inheritance than Axefaire/Luna at least.

Aw, too bad on the Lord class. Would have been a little broken, maybe.

I believe you can still pass down Aether to your little kid Morgan though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Axefaire is the best male exclusive skill, almost every kid is going to have access to some axe-wielding class. All the others are either situational or just not worth it in general.

For Sully's kid I'd definitely go Axefaire over Wrath, especially with Vaike as pops.

I believe you can still pass down Aether to your little kid Morgan though.

Yeah, a Lord's daughter will always get Aether, whether it's Chrom or Lucina's kid.

ekim

Started the game as a complete newbie on hard/classic and lost Lissa in the first battle... Should I restart? There is no real tutorial, right?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Started the game as a complete newbie on hard/classic and lost Lissa in the first battle... Should I restart? There is no real tutorial, right?

On hard I think everything is pretty much there from the start. Normal mode is locked up and eases you into the game in a more tutorial-esque fashion.

Whether or not you should restart just depends on how you want to play the game, though Lissa is your only healer until chapter 5. And yeah, if you're losing units on the first battle as a newbie then maybe normal might be a better starting point.

Also, remember that hitting X shows the full range of enemy movement. Since Lissa can't attack and has squishy defense you should avoid letting her stay in enemy range. Enemies will happily swarm her.

wrowa

A restart then... :-/

Well. Better realizing this after the first battle than later into the game. :p

I've bought the game at launch, but didn't come around playing it until a few minutes ago. Cleared the first two missions (hard/classic) and Lyssa seems to be a little useless right now. As soon as she enters the vision of an enemy, she seems to be as good as dead. :lol

ekim

On hard I think everything is pretty much there from the start. Normal mode is locked up and eases you into the game in a more tutorial-esque fashion.

Whether or not you should restart just depends on how you want to play the game, though Lissa is your only healer until chapter 5. And yeah, if you're losing units on the first battle as a newbie then maybe normal might be a better starting point.

I lost her because I disconnected her from my hero and thought she would be able to move afterwards... :-/
Had no losts though in the next 2 battles. Is there a difference between connecting chars and just letting them stand side by side? Sometimes the other person will also attack, sometimes not.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I lost her because I disconnected her from my hero and thought she would be able to move afterwards... :-/
Had no losts though in the next 2 battles. Is there a difference between connecting chars and just letting them stand side by side? Sometimes the other person will also attack, sometimes not.

Dual strikes, guards, and support bonuses work the same, but pairing up gives the lead unit stat bonuses. It's a good idea to use Frederick as pair up fodder so he won't eat up experience and gives good stat boosts.

Anteo

Well. Better realizing this after the first battle than later into the game. :p

I've bought the game at launch, but didn't come around playing it until a few minutes ago. Cleared the first two missions (hard/classic) and Lyssa seems to be a little useless right now. As soon as she enters the vision of an enemy, she seems to be as good as dead. :lol

Abuse her heal and she will become one of your main units. That staff gives her too much exp, he was consistenly 10 levels over everyone in my first no grind run and was a killing machine.

Nohar

When characters are next to eachother, they have a chance to help eachother when one of them is attacked, or if you make one of them attack an enemy. They can join in the attack, and/or block entirely an attack directed at the other character (0 damages).

When two characters team up, the same as above apply, but they also provide bonuses (which can become HUGE) to the character who is actively fighting. Though, this will prevent you from using the 2 characters in a same turn, and you will lose a turn if you want to separate them.

Chrom

It's also noteworthy that by being in a Pair Up group, the supporting unit becomes completely free from further harm for as long as they remain together.

McNum

Aww, Cordelia and Lon'qu have a sweet S support. And as a Swordmaster/Hero pair they downright murder anything on the map. Lon'qu providing offense and Cordelia defense. Severa is going to be a sword-wielding menace if she takes after them...

Also Nowi is almost done with her Wyvern Lord loop back to Manakete, I think. Gonna get her Swordbreaker and then back to being a dragon. I guess Tiki should do the same loop after I've beaten the story.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Aww, Cordelia and Lon'qu have a sweet S support. And as a Swordmaster/Hero pair they downright murder anything on the map. Lon'qu providing offense and Cordelia defense. Severa is going to be a sword-wielding menace if she takes after them...

Also Nowi is almost done with her Wyvern Lord loop back to Manakete, I think. Gonna get her Swordbreaker and then back to being a dragon. I guess Tiki should do the same loop after I've beaten the story.

She certainly will.

And the Manakete's will also appreciate Lifetaker if you haven't gotten that for them.

ekim

When characters are next to eachother, they have a chance to help eachother when one of them is attacked, or if you make one of them attack an enemy. They can join in the attack, and/or block entirely an attack directed at the other character (0 damages).

When two characters team up, the same as above apply, but they also provide bonuses (which can become HUGE) to the character who is actively fighting. Though, this will prevent you from using the 2 characters in a same turn, and you will lose a turn if you want to separate them.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

McNum

She certainly will.

And the Manakete's will also appreciate Lifetaker if you haven't gotten that for them.
Oh, right. Dark Knight is an off-shoot of Mage. That lets them heal by killing enemies, right? So, I guess Nowi has 28 more levels to go... 15 Manakete, 10 Wyvern Rider, 15 Wyvern Lord, and 15 Dark Knight. She's not even halfway, then.

Maybe I should take Tiki to Manakete 30 and just jump straight into Wyvern Lord and Dark Knight. You don't lose out on anything major by skipping Wyvern Rider, do you?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, right. Dark Knight is an off-shoot of Mage. That lets them heal by killing enemies, right? So, I guess Nowi has 28 more levels to go... 15 Manakete, 10 Wyvern Rider, 15 Wyvern Lord, and 15 Dark Knight. She's not even halfway, then.

Maybe I should take Tiki to Manakete 30 and just jump straight into Wyvern Lord and Dark Knight. You don't lose out on anything major by skipping Wyvern Rider, do you?

Nah, a lame hit rate skill and strength +2. You would be fine skipping it, not sure if it would actually be faster (level 1-10 as a wyvern rider will be faster than 20-30 as a Manakete) but you would be in a better class for that period of time.

Anteo

Nah, a lame hit rate skill and strength +2. You would be fine skipping it, not sure if it would actually be faster (level 1-10 as a wyvern rider will be faster than 20-30 as a Manakete) but you would be in a better class for that period of time.

I actually had to read that twice because of the bolded. I was so confused.

McNum

Yeah, but I'm thinking of using Tiki as a Manakete artillery for the rest of the story. She'll probably hit 30 before that. She already hit 22 in getting rid of the Risen camping the Second Seal store. Nowi is busy riding dragons, so she can't do the dragon thing herself and I haven't tried going for Nah, yet. Would like for Nowi to get one of the advanced class skills to pass on so Nah won't have to get 15 levels of Wyvern Lord herself...

LuuKyK

Yeessss!

I was reading a FAQ to see if I didnt lose any extra characters in side quests and such and ended up discovering that I had to chose one wife before the chapter I was about to begin.

The only female character I had any support with Chrom was Sully though, which meant the game would auto chose her to be my waifu, but she was supposed to marry Frederick and she was very close to it! FUCK Then I remembered about that summon box, I used it and used Sully and Frederick together a lot and they managed to get married before the new chapter! Cool. Then I went on and after the chapter ended my waifu ended up being Sumia! YES!! Very nice turn of events. :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'd say go Great Knight (Luna is redundant, but Dual Guard+ can be worth it) or Paladin (Aegis). Chrom gains nothing from the Archer classes.

Statistically, Paladin is a more balanced class which I prefer over the unbalanced classes like Great Knight (bad skill/speed, but great strength/defense).
Paladin Chrom enjoys his newly-acquired mobility. Thanks.

Jintor

Yeessss!

I was reading a FAQ to see if I didnt lose any extra characters in side quests and such and ended up discovering that I had to chose one wife before the chapter I was about to begin.

The only female character I had any support with Chrom was Sully though, which meant the game would auto chose her to be my waifu, but she was supposed to marry Frederick and she was very close to it! FUCK Then I remembered about that summon box, I used it and used Sully and Frederick together a lot and they managed to get married before the new chapter! Cool. Then I went on and after the chapter ended my waifu ended up being Sumia! YES!! Very nice turn of events. :p

You could just have summoned a bonus box team and whaled on them to grind supports

Yaari

I've went straight to Falcon Knight with Sumia thinking it was the first change, but apparently there was one in between? I'm not really understanding the class changing thing, sounds to me I skipped something? Is that bad, and can it be fixed?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, chrom and MC are in a good place for my lunatic run, but now I'm not too sure about the rest of my units. Only lonqu, kellam and sully got an opportunity to level up so far.

At least my MC can survive an enemy onslaught when paired with chrom. Chrom too if the RNG plays nice. A rank helps a lot.

MicH

I'm looking to make some beasty kids on my second playthrough, but I'm a little unsure of how to approach it, Is there like a min maxing guide somewhere? (probably asking for too much).

Also thinking about Chrom. Say you marry him to Sumia. That means Cynthia automatically gets Aether from Chrom, right? But can she also inherit the skill in his fifth skill slot? So 2 in total?

I'm thinking about who to pair with who. There's obviously three female characters (Sully, Nowi and Tharja) that can't get Galeforce and can't pass it down to their daughters unless they marry Avatar (M), Gaius or Donnel. Is it worth it to marry these three pairs up? I haven't seen many use Kjelle, so perhaps one of the above males can be married off to someone else?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just enjoying this aspect a whole lot

Question. Does limit break(er) work for unpromoted classes with stats capped?
Yes. It raises the caps for any class by 10 (except for HP, of course). Just found that out last night myself when I was creating this monster (ended up giving him Limit Breaker right after I threw him into Mercenary for Armsthrift and saw the caps disappear):
fire_emblem_awakeningphuhy.png

Top Bottom