• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Joqu

This was a pretty foolish of me but I was really holding out hope they'd release the last Fates DLC as some sort of tie-in with Heroes' release.

RIP

1upsuper

Howdy, everyone. I'd like to get your advice on something. I love Fire Emblem, but I've really only played 7 and up. I'd like to play the earlier titles in order, and I'd like to know which version of 1 to play.

I have both Shadow Dragon and the original Famicom cartridge. I heard that a lot of people had problems with SD but I'm not really sure what those problems were. I'll play whichever version is best.

What do you guys think? Original or SD?

NeonZ

Howdy, everyone. I'd like to get your advice on something. I love Fire Emblem, but I've really only played 7 and up. I'd like to play the earlier titles in order, and I'd like to know which version of 1 to play.

I have both Shadow Dragon and the original Famicom cartridge. I heard that a lot of people had problems with SD but I'm not really sure what those problems were. I'll play whichever version is best.

What do you guys think? Original or SD?

Shadow Dragon is better. Most of the problem people have with it is that it didn't update the original enough (in addition to having a really ugly art style), so going back to the original won't fix those complaints.

Storywise, it added the narration segments that had been added by the FE3 remake of FE1 (The original FE3 was split into two halves with the first one being a remake of FE1, although missing some characters and maps) and some map conversations after recruiting characters, but most of the actual story dialogue after the prologue chapters was straight from the original NES game, which means that it's very barebones. There are also new gaiden chapters, but the requirements to get to them involve having a small number of units - so losing or not recruiting units, which is a really baffling decision.

Gameplay-wise, it adds the weapon triangle, different class caps and promotions to some classes that didn't originally have them (although FE3 already had done that to most classes aside from Fighters), a reclass system and makes leveling up healers work like in later games, rather than by taking damage (although once again FE3 already had this in its FE1 remake).

1upsuper

Shadow Dragon is better. Most of the problem people have with it is that it didn't update the original enough (in addition to having a really ugly art style), so going back to the original won't fix those complaints.

Storywise, it added the narration segments that had been added by the FE3 remake of FE1 (The original FE3 was split into two halves with the first one being a remake of FE1, although missing some characters and maps) and some map conversations after recruiting characters, but most of the actual story dialogue after the prologue chapters was straight from the original NES game, which means that it's very barebones. There are also new gaiden chapters, but the requirements to get to them involve having a small number of units - so losing or not recruiting units, which is a really baffling decision.

Gameplay-wise, it adds the weapon triangle, different class caps and promotions to some classes that didn't originally have them (although FE3 already had done that to most classes aside from Fighters), a reclass system and makes leveling up healers work like in later games, rather than by taking damage (although once again FE3 already had this in its FE1 remake).

Thanks a bunch! Looks like I'll go with Shadow Dragon then. That note about the gaiden chapters sounds really dumb though. Would I miss out on a lot by just playing 3 and skipping 1 altogether, if 3 includes a retread of 1?

NeonZ

Thanks a bunch! Looks like I'll go with Shadow Dragon then. That note about the gaiden chapters sounds really dumb though. Would I miss out on a lot by just playing 3 and skipping 1 altogether, if 3 includes a retread of 1?

Like I said above, it's missing a few playable characters and maps, but nothing really important (aside from maybe Jake who makes a few cameos through the series afterwards).

Note that only the original 3 includes a remake of 1. The DS remake of Mystery doesn't include the chapters based on the original FE.

This might not be something that bothers you, but Shadow Dragon is ridiculously easy on normal mode for someone with any prior FE experience - to the point that I'd say playing the game on normal mode will probably impact your enjoyment of the game. Try playing it on one of the lower hard modes.

I actually kind of prefer FE3 Book 1 to Shadow Dragon just because it's so much less ugly (and to be honest, I don't really like SD's visuals, replacement units, or the fact that reclassic exists). SD is probably a mechanically deeper game though, given all the additions it incorporates from later games. (And both games are absolutely better than the original FE1, although I still enjoy that game too.)

This might not be something that bothers you, but Shadow Dragon is ridiculously easy on normal mode for someone with any prior FE experience - to the point that I'd say playing the game on normal mode will probably impact your enjoyment of the game. Try playing it on one of the lower hard modes.

I actually kind of prefer FE3 Book 1 to Shadow Dragon just because it's so much less ugly (and to be honest, I don't really like SD's visuals, replacement units, or the fact that reclassic exists). SD is probably a mechanically deeper game though, given all the additions it incorporates from later games. (And both games are absolutely better than the original FE1, although I still enjoy that game too.)

what's wrong with reclassing

I'm currently playing SD and really enjoying the gameplay, but I'm ignoring things like the gaiden chapters and reclassing, plus I dislike all of the new characters so far.
The snappy speed and new mechanics of SD make the experience better, but everything else is meh in comparison to FE3.

I have played through FE3 a couple times and I'd say it's worth playing through both if you like Marth and the bunch enough.

Really looking forward to playing New Mystery since it's apparently a much better remake than SD was.

PBalfredo

Is it just my imagination or did reclassing just work better in the 3DS games than in Shadow Dragon? I could get some good results out of relcassing my units in Fates and Awakening, but my memory of looking through the reclass option in SD was seeing a bunch of different ways to handicap your own units.

Is it just my imagination or did reclassing just work better in the 3DS games than in Shadow Dragon? I could get some good results out of relcassing my units in Fates and Awakening, but my memory of looking through the reclass option in SD was seeing a bunch of different ways to handicap your own units.

Being able to switch freely between chapters gives DS reclassing more freedom...also since a larger portion of growths are tied to the class you can pull off some silly reclasses more effectively.

especially if you get lucky

5b82defd88.png

StayDead

Am I the only person who finds the Shadow Dragon art really offputting? I think the NES and SNES art for those characters was better for the most part.

batfax

4 fits super neatly into what people think of as why FE is popular nowadays. Memorable characters, shipping, and kids with solid gameplay on top. It'd be silly not to do it after Gaiden.

I just wonder if they're going to do anything to the super large maps. Hopefully something small, like adding one-time save points to each castle you capture or something. Maybe tying it into a difficulty mode.

PBalfredo

I'd much rather have a 4 remake, but i could see them going to six.

I'd rather just have an NA release of 6 than a remake. I love the style of the GBA games.

I'm always mystified that after FE7 hit NA, they didn't just give us a localized FE6 as a "sequel".

NeonZ

I rather have a FE6/7 remake.

They'll never bundle FE6 and 7 together considering how they separated FE1 from FE3 for the remakes - unless it's released Fates-style, where they're sold as simultaneously released games or DLC campaigns for each other.

spiritfox

They'll never bundle FE6 and 7 together considering how they separated FE1 from FE3 for the remakes - unless it's released Fates-style, where they're sold as simultaneously released games or DLC campaigns for each other.

Don't ruin my dream of marrying Eliwood and Ninian to make a dragon Roy.

1upsuper

Like I said above, it's missing a few playable characters and maps, but nothing really important (aside from maybe Jake who makes a few cameos through the series afterwards).

Note that only the original 3 includes a remake of 1. The DS remake of Mystery doesn't include the chapters based on the original FE.

Thank you both! Honestly I think I'm just gonna go with FE3 right now, and maybe someday I'll check out the remakes.

I'd really like to see mid-battle saves return as an option in classic mode in future games. I think Shadow Dragon did that?

I'm playing Fates for the first time (finally) right now and I'm considering switching to casual/hard down from classic/hard purely for the mid battle saves, and still playing it not allowing anyone to die as if it was classic mode.

It's just too much of a bummer when you need to replay an easy first two thirds of a map to get another crack at the actually challenging last third.

Chrom

I'd really like to see mid-battle saves return as an option in classic mode in future games. I think Shadow Dragon did that?

I'm playing Fates for the first time (finally) right now and I'm considering switching to casual/hard down from classic/hard purely for the mid battle saves, and still playing it not allowing anyone to die as if it was classic mode.

It's just too much of a bummer when you need to replay an easy first two thirds of a map to get another crack at the actually challenging last third.

Yep, Shadow Dragon does have map saves like bookmarking in Fates, although it's done at specific points in the map and not any time. It's unfortunate that Fates arbitrarily locks that behind casual/phoenix because it'd be nice to have it available on classic as well.

Chrom

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/06/nintendo-details-fire-emblem-heroesa-post-launch-plans

Maeda said that the main Fire Emblem team at Intelligent Systems started thinking about the possibility of a turn-based FE game on smart devices during the making of Fates. "We conducted continual research into it, and that was when Nintendo started talking about it with us," he said. "The goal of Fire Emblem Heroes during development was to have the main team behind Awakening and Fates create a brand-new game in the main Fire Emblem series."

Is this enough to consider Fire Emblem Heroes as FE15 now?

Chrom

C391wuOVYAAsI5z.png

So the new Cipher expansion is out next month. Looking forward to all the new stuff to be shown in the coming weeks.

spiritfox

I think FE numbering has become obsolete once the series hit more than 10 games. It's easier to remember the actual names than what number correspond to what game.

I think FE numbering has become obsolete once the series hit more than 10 games. It's easier to remember the actual names than what number correspond to what game.
I find it very necessary because there's no other universally recognized name for FE7.

If they'd just called it Blazing Blade or something in 2003 we wouldn't be in this mess.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Since you bring up Lucina, that reminds me... despite sounding like Laura Bailey, her voice actress is not listed. Maybe it's a union thing.

In Heroes, obviously.

Golnei

yep guessing it's because of that. probably once the union thing got settled, her name will be put there.

Nintendo isn't being targeted, so I think it might just be a result of the game itself being non-union. Though if that's the case, it's weird that she's the only one; since it hasn't stopped other unionised VAs from being credited.

Nintendo isn't being targeted, so I think it might just be a result of the game itself being non-union. Though if that's the case, it's weird that she's the only one; since it hasn't stopped other unionised VAs from being credited.

is it? I don't have any idea who are in the union and who don't tbh. guess my assumption about her name isn't in is kinda off then

Chrom

Pretty cool to see playable Risen in Cipher. If they're willing to include them, then the eventual set with Sacred Stones ought to be really fun since that game was oozing with cool monsters.

Put Leaf in Smash, problem solved!

PLEASE. I for one welcome our Fire Emblem overlords.

I don't really play smash all too often, but a pipe dream of mine is an ArcSys developed Fire Emblem fighting game. Or maybe an SNK one similar to Last Blade or Samurai Shodown.

I would also want it to have the art direction of Mystery of the Emblem-Thracia 776. That 90's anime art style was way too cool, man.

Top Bottom