• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I love the aesthetic of Hoshido clan in Birthright but I like the idea of the tougher difficulty of Conquest, so I'm at a loss of which game to start with. It's my plan to eventually play all three but I'd rather just budget out and buy a single one to begin with...

I'm also not an established Fire Emblem fan. I've played and enjoyed Awakening and that's about it, really -- I just never picked up any of the others.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
What does it mean when, in the OP, it says that children are tied to the Father?

What it says.

With limited exceptions (Azura and female-corrin), the 'male' partner determines who the child will be no matter who the female parent is, though both parent's stats and growths will be taken into account.

(I think the mother gives hair color this time around, though)

This is opposite of Awakening, in which the mother-only determined who the child would be, and the father determined the hair color..

backlot

How difficult would it be to play on Lunatic for a first playthrough? I beat Lunatic+ in Awakening but I haven't been following any of the new mechanics in this game at all. Should I just pick hard and save Lunatic for a replay?

How difficult would it be to play on Lunatic for a first playthrough? I beat Lunatic+ in Awakening but I haven't been following any of the new mechanics in this game at all. Should I just pick hard and save Lunatic for a replay?

It's not to hard to jump in and just do lunatic, you'll be fine I think, coming from awakening.

Weebos

Banned
It's not to hard to jump in and just do lunatic, you'll be fine I think, coming from awakening.

Is Fates Lunatic easier than Awakening Lunatic? I was pretty disappointed that the first third of Awakening Lunatic felt too hard, but the last two thirds was too easy.

Shun

Rule of thumb for this game is, try a harder difficulty first before moving it lower for the remainder of the game.

You will be fine.

レセット上等!

Is Fates Lunatic easier than Awakening Lunatic? I was pretty disappointed that the first third of Awakening Lunatic felt too hard, but the last two thirds was too easy.

The complaint about Lunatic in Awakening was how unbalanced it was throughout. In this game, the chapters get incrementally harder and harder especially on Lunatic.

Lunatic conquest is tight and challenging and it was very fun going through the resets and finding a strategy. Especially without the grind and managing my resources. You'll find Lunatic Conquest challenging going in blind and you'll enjoy it. Birthright as well but Lunatic Conquest is great.

Rule of thumb for this game is, try a harder difficulty first before moving it lower for the remainder of the game.

You will be fine.

レセット上等!
I keep hearing this and its making me want to do Conquest before Birthright.

It's not actually easier per say but the game actually gives you a reasonable amount of tools to work with (you get your dancer and utility units really early on in the game), so it's easier to go in, even if you reset a couple times.

What it says.

With limited exceptions (Azura and female-corrin), the 'male' partner determines who the child will be no matter who the female parent is, though both parent's stats and growths will be taken into account.

(I think the mother gives hair color this time around, though)

This is opposite of Awakening, in which the mother-only determined who the child would be, and the father determined the hair color..

Fathers are the ones that produce kids this time around. Azura and Female Corrin being the exception.

Edit: Too slow.

Thanks, I thought it was like a forced team up or something. The truth isn't as fun as I thought.

Adaren

Can you enable no-perma-death mode and a higher difficulty (like Lunatic) at the same time? That sounds like my ideal Fire Emblem experience.

ffdgh

Can you enable no-perma-death mode and a higher difficulty (like Lunatic) at the same time? That sounds like my ideal Fire Emblem experience.

Yeah casual can be used for any mode.
Phoenix is the only thing limited to normal only.

Shun

Yes you can do any difficulty and mode combination you want. You just can't do Phoenix Mode on hard/lunatic.

Since difficulty can be lowered midgem for the rest of the file, going through with classic before moving over would be a good approach.

Either way do you and I hope you enjoy this game.

maybe some people like me and already asked this but:

never played FE game
not into SRPG -tried disgaea for hours and lost interest, bought tactics ogre but still sealed-

i dont have the chance to try any demo , so it's gonna be hit or miss

should i follow the hype and go with this one?

any thoughts?

So I'm planning on playing Conquest first since I want a more old school difficult FE experience. Since I wasn't that big a fan of Awakening's difficulty (granted I borrowed the game from a friend and never finished it) I was wondering if playing Birthright on hard would be more or less equal to playing Conquest on normal? Anyone know?

Shun

never played FE game
not into SRPG -tried disgaea for hours and lost interest, bought tactics ogre but still sealed-

any thoughts?

Do you like a challenge and do you like keeping track of options such as resources and map positioning and movement?

Disgaea is a hit or miss with some crowds because it is heavily reliant on grinding, vs something like Shining or Devil Survivor or Fire Emblem. I wouldn't want you to waste your money on something you may not enjoy so maybe try Tactics Ogre first.

It is a different experience but you get to see some of what it is like to position your units and attack in an SRPG.

I do think Conquest is something you should pick up if you have an interest in the gameplay.

Weebos

Banned

never played FE game

any thoughts?

If you're not into SRPGs you probably won't like this game.

Cindro

Do you customize Corrin at the beginning of the game? I like default look of female Corrin way better, but I would prefer to play as a male.I'm especially curious about outfit options

GeekyDad

Why is not fun? Plenty of people enjoy a more challeninging difficulty setting, but that doesn't mean they can't get stuck on a mission. If they need to lower the difficulty in order to complete that one mission, but generaly enjoy the harder difficulty more, then what is gained by locking them out of their preferred difficulty afterwards? Why does it even matter whether or not there is a "cheat hole" in a single player game? It hurts no one (except for people with a screwed sense of pride, I guess), but helps more people to enjoy a game. Really, what's the negative?

I'll try and express my personal feelings in a way you might understand. Why take marriage vows if you ultimately are allowed to step out on your spouse whenever you get bored with the sex?

The reward is artificial if you can simply change the rules whenever you want. That's just my personal experience. Obviously, it's not the same for everyone. ;) But no need to insult me, really.

omlet

any thoughts?

Disgaea is an overwhelming grind game. Saying this as someone who has beaten D1-3. They are SRPGs, technically, but not like FE or TO; as mentioned Disgaea is a grinding/numbers game before it is a strategy game.

My advice is try Tactics Ogre to see what a less overwhelming/grindy SRPG feels like since you already own it. If you like TO you will probably like FE.

never played FE game

any thoughts?

Look up gameplay of Awakening or of past titles on youtube. They're significantly different from Disgaea.

Fjordson

Special edition will be here tomorrow from Amazon. Hype! Still a little weirded out by there being 3 separate games, but whatever. Think I'll play Birthright first to get into it for more Awakening goodness.

Dimmle

never played FE game

any thoughts?

Try the Awakening demo, if it's still available. Unless you just don't have time to play a demo, period.

L95

never played FE game

any thoughts?

There's a demo for Awakening, no Fates demo though. Fates only tweaks Awakening gameplay, so it's pretty close.

Shun

What do the higher difficulty levels change, exactly? Do they increase the stats of the enemies? Or is it just an AI improvement?

There are some more enemies, different skills, different stats.

Lunatic has reinforcements that do not show up in other difficulty levels.

The AI will generally go for the easier kill even at the cost of their team units just to kill one of your army. True in general but you feel like they are always aiming for your weakest link or teaming up to whittle you down with debuffs.

The AI will generally go for the easier kill even at the cost of their team units just to kill one of your army. True in general but you feel like they are always aiming for your weakest link or teaming up to whittle you down with debuffs.

Awesome thanks. I was hoping for just an AI improvement. Might go with Hard on this one.

Best Buy not updating on shipping...although I did once get a preorder from them before it was even noted on the order page. Oh well. Looking even more forward to Conquest now that I see those character portraits in the op. Not terribly enthused about the looks of most characters in Hoshido.

Azuran

Banned
All these horror stories are making me happy I preordered my SE in store, which means I should have it by tomorrow morning unless they completely screwed up something.

NeonZ

Do you customize Corrin at the beginning of the game? I like default look of female Corrin way better, but I would prefer to play as a male.I'm especially curious about outfit options

There aren't really outfit options. You can choose a secondary class, and changing to it will give Corrin that class' 3d model, but his portrait won't change and will still shown the Nohr Prince armor.

There are the accessories that you can buy later in the castle, but those also are only visible in the actual 3d model, not the portrait.

I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait

Picking up the SE during my lunch break tomorrow

Ahhhhhh I wish my Gamestop was doing a midnight launch

Birthright -> Conquest -> Revelations for me

Can't wait to start hating on Takumi

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

I've beaten every NA release (except RD) on Hard. I tried Lunatic in Awakening after beating Hard and stopped around Ch7 because Fates was coming out.

If I start on Lunatic, I will not lower my difficulty settings; I'd rather start over (personal peeve). Do you think I should start Fates on Lunatic? I plan on playing all 3 routes.

Thanks!

I've beaten every NA release (except RD) on Hard. I tried Lunatic in Awakening after beating Hard and stopped around Ch7 because Fates was coming out.

If I start on Lunatic, I will not lower my difficulty settings; I'd rather start over (personal peeve). Do you think I should start Fates on Lunatic? I plan on playing all 3 routes.

Thanks!

Sure start on Lunatic, unlike Awakening the game isn't frontloaded in difficulty (well Revelation kinda is, but pre-route split isn't).

Ponn

Banned
I think i'm going to play Conquest first to get used to the difficulty off the bat and not have to be pissed at it ramping up. Also i'm crushing on Camilla, her birthday is the day after mine.

I've yet to buy any Amiibo's and was wanting to try one for this. Should I get a Marth or Lucina? Also I have Codename STEAM so are both of those usable in that too?

Top Bottom