• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Draxal

I think i'm going to play Conquest first to get used to the difficulty off the bat and not have to be pissed at it ramping up. Also i'm crushing on Camilla, her birthday is the day after mine.

I've yet to buy any Amiibo's and was wanting to try one for this. Should I get a Marth or Lucina? Also I have Codename STEAM so are both of those usable in that too?

Marth is pretty cheap atm. Lucina isn't. Both are usable in that game (along with Robin and Ike).

Weebos

Banned
Have supports been posted? I want to see if some of them are as
incesty
as they seemed in the Japanese version. Some characters I'm interested in pairing off eventually, but not like that.

Basically did they
retcon Azura being your cousin
?

I think i'm going to play Conquest first to get used to the difficulty off the bat and not have to be pissed at it ramping up. Also i'm crushing on Camilla, her birthday is the day after mine.

I've yet to buy any Amiibo's and was wanting to try one for this. Should I get a Marth or Lucina? Also I have Codename STEAM so are both of those usable in that too?

lucina because shes the best >> (bias aside) two answer your second question yes it also works for code name steam *beaten like a stick*

Chase17

So will the game unlock at midnight EST? Or does it go by a different time zone?

Debating staying up to play a few chapters. Could be dangerous though as I have some classes in the morning and am liable to get hooked on the game.

Chrom

So will the game unlock at midnight EST? Or does it go by a different time zone?

Debating staying up to play a few chapters. Could be dangerous though as I have some classes in the morning and am liable to get hooked on the game.

I think it ought to. That's how all Nintendo eShop midnight launches have worked, they go by midnight Eastern time. This shouldn't be any different.

Chase17

I think it ought to. That's how all Nintendo eShop midnight launches have worked, they go by midnight Eastern time. This shouldn't be any different.
Ok perfect. First time downloading before release as I usually go physical. Thanks for the answer!

ciD_Vain

I got pretty obsessed in Awakening with re-classing to get the best skills and make the best children...it was almost unhealthy. Does this game handle re-classing and learning skills the same way?

Shun

I got pretty obsessed in Awakening with re-classing to get the best skills and make the best children...it was almost unhealthy. Does this game handle re-classing and learning skills the same way?

No you are locked to a single subclass with a couple exceptions with other characters.

You can expand on how many classes you can use by marrying or befriending a character to the S/A+ support rank. When you do you can use a seal to reclass into the classes that your partners had available.

It is harder to get skills the normal way. But it is stupid easy to break the game because you can buy skills rather than get them on your own through My Castle and visiting other player castles.

In a way getting skills is easier in a method that doesn't directly require grinding or breaking the game unless you choose to do so.

ciD_Vain

No you are locked to a single subclass with a couple exceptions with other characters.

You can expand on how many classes you can use by marrying or befriending a character to the S/A+ support rank. When you do you can use a seal to reclass into the classes that your partners had available.

It is harder to get skills the normal way. But it is stupid easy to break the game because you can buy skills rather than get them on your own through My Castle and visiting other player castles.

In a way getting skills is easier in a method that doesn't directly require grinding or breaking the game unless you choose to do so.

Oh wow, that's interesting. Thank you.

Shun

Is there a Galeforce equivalent in Fates?

It is in the Dark Flier seal to reclass if you own all 3 routes. Not that great as it was nerfed. There are better skill combinations like Puppet where you can make clones of yourself and skills to prevent double attacks for low speed units and more.

I just had a mini heart attack. I was wondering why I haven't gotten a best buy notice that my FE fates would be ready for pickup tomorrow since they usually send them the day before, so i looked at my order history on the site. And I didn't see my special edition order. literally screamed "Oh no!". Then I noticed that I had to put the order history to 6 months instead of 3 months ago. Phew. Crisis adverted.

It is in the Dark Flier seal to reclass if you own all 3 routes. Not that great as it was nerfed. There are better skill combinations like Puppet where you can make clones of yourself.

Massively nerfed in the main game, surprisingly still good in PVP though for those who care.

(also Dark Falcon is still a top tier class)

I only just saw that the OT title was changed.

I suppose it was probably a bit to risque for GAF. New title is good too.

I need this. Gonna pick up my collector's edition tomorrow.

Draxal

It is in the Dark Flier seal to reclass if you own all 3 routes. Not that great as it was nerfed. There are better skill combinations like Puppet where you can make clones of yourself and skills to prevent double attacks for low speed units and more.

Wasn't Puppet + Warp super broken for pvp?

pariah164

Something that's been bugging me... Each game is locked to a route (Hoshido, Nohr, or neither). So why is there a choice in the game to pick either one? If you try to pick Nohr in Birthright, does the game go 'hey, dude, you bought Birthright, you can't pick that'?

KarmaCow

Something that's been bugging me... Each game is locked to a route (Hoshido, Nohr, or neither). So why is there a choice in the game to pick either one? If you try to pick Nohr in Birthright, does the game go 'hey, dude, you bought Birthright, you can't pick that'?

I think it prompts you to go and buy the other route from the eshop.

I think if you buy the game on eshop, you actually do get to chose, and then locks you to that choice. I think that's what I heard in a treehouse video?

pariah164

I think it prompts you to go and buy the other route from the eshop.
iWKad22.jpg

Wow. Way to kill the immersion and the illusion of choice, Nintendo. Such a dramatic moment... It would be better to just cut out the choice entirely, in that case

Pau

According to Amazon, my shipment should arrive tomorrow by 8 PM. Slightly regretting pre-ordering it online since tomorrow I have no classes and could have been playing all day.

I can't decide if I wanna play with permadeath on or off.

Me too. How do you series vets usually handle it if a good character dies? Do you suck it up and play on, or do you restart a save? What happens if you lose a battle entirely, and most/all of your guys die? Is it total game restart time? Seems like there is little room for trial and error or experimenting with anything if the penalty is so harsh.

Oh and is there any in-game bonus or reward for playing on harder difficulties/permadeath? Like how in Diablo the loot is better at higher difficulties?

Dimmle

Me too. How do you series vets usually handle it if a good character dies? Do you suck it up and play on, or do you restart a save? What happens if you lose a battle entirely, and most/all of your guys die? Is it total game restart time? Seems like there is little room for trial and error or experimenting with anything if the penalty is so harsh.
Most vets, myself included, reset. However, committing to character death creates some pretty interesting player narratives. Try it some time.

Shun

iWKad22.jpg

Wow. Way to kill the immersion and the illusion of choice, Nintendo. Such a dramatic moment... It would be better to just cut out the choice entirely, in that case

The reason being is that in the original Japanese version it was route agnostic and when you make a choice it would connect to the internet to get the remainder for the digital version.

If they went this route, people would still complain why do I have to go through the internet to download the rest of the route?

It was a lose lose situation and they just did 2 separate versions to sell separate rather than the agnostic digital version Japan got.

Physical versions of both Conquest and Birthright were always locked. Special Edition cart has the choice. If you buy the other routes, you get the choices.

Oh and is there any in-game bonus or reward for playing on harder difficulties/permadeath? Like how in Diablo the loot is better at higher difficulties?
You will automatically save after each chapter, so you just restart whatever chapter you are on if someone dies.

Lusankya

As soon as any of my units dies I restart the chapter.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Sorry if that has already been asked, but does anyone know if Walmart Canada will have Special Editions stocked in stores? I know EB Games will but I feel like I have a better chance of finding one that's not reserved at Walmart. I'm expecting that I won't be able to find any SE tomorrow though.

Lunar15

First playthrough: Reset? bring it on!

Second time: You die, good bye!

Many of us play bronzeman(restart on a single character death). If anything it's for the sheer challenge really, no loot or anything like that. It's not like experimenting or anything is bad in this game (there's probably only a couple skills you are heavily incentivized to pick up like kunaibreaker).

Weebos

Banned

I usually reset when people die. Losing a chapter is game over, but you can just go back to the previous save.

I don't think there are any ingame bonuses. In Awakening your streetpass card showed what difficulty you played on, so if e-peen matters to you then there is that.

Poyunch

You can call it heresy but save scumming is kind off why I decided to play Awakening with permadeath off and why I'll probably do the same for at least the first of the three games. I'm just saving time by not resetting the chapter. Sure there are some strategic changes that happen when you can be more carefree with units but I rather not deal with the frustrations.

First playthrough: Reset? bring it on!

Second time: You die, good bye!

I play somewhere in between. It's mainly a Risk/Reward thing. Did one of my favorite units die 2 turns into a mission? Restart for sure. If a unit dies at the very end of a brutally hard mission? That's a loss I'll accept.

Lunar15

I play somewhere in between. It's mainly a Risk/Reward thing? Did one of my favorite units die 2 turns into a mission? Restart for sure? If a unit dies at the very end of a brutally hard mission? That's a loss I'll accept.

Plenty of people play it this way. There's no wrong way to beat a fire emblem!
Except for pheonix mode what is wrong with you

Plenty of people play it this way. There's no wrong way to beat a fire emblem.
Except for pheonix mode what is wrong with you

I can't even tell who phoenix mode would be for... The "I want my waifus but what is this strategy stuff" crowd, I guess.

Pau

Definitely reset if a character dies. Hell, I reset if someone gets a really bad level up. Or has been getting bad level ups consecutively.

Higher difficulties tend to have more enemies which means more EXP and more level ups early on. But beyond that, nothing really.

Lunar15

Not gonna lie, I think there was one time in PoR or RD where Shinon got hit at the end of a brutal chapter and I said to myself "is the world really going to miss another racist archer?" The Greil Mercenaries left a man behind that day.

Definitely reset if a character dies. Hell, I reset if someone gets a really bad level up. Or has been getting bad level ups consecutively.

Higher difficulties tend to have more enemies which means more EXP and more level ups early on. But beyond that, nothing really.

well you're not doing that in this game if you're playing Lunatic
inb4 mass resets to generate a super good RNG seed

Not gonna lie, I think there was one time in PoR or RD where Shinon got hit at the end of a brutal chapter and I said to myself "is the world really going to miss another racist archer?" The Greil Mercenaries left a man behind that day.
But Shinon is so good in Radiant Dawn...(I never even bothered to recruit him in my first play through of PoR, hated that guy :p)

Kiro

Is it strategic to play on Hard/Lunatic for the first few chapters and drop it down for the bonus EXP of all the extra units I killed? Seems to be an easy way for an early EXP boost. If I intend to play it on Hard, why not do the first 6 chapters or so on Lunatic.

Top Bottom