• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

GSR

So, I've been hearing a lot of reports from people on other boards who got their hands on this early that Treehouse's localization job of this was absolutely *horrible* compared to 8-4's efforts with Awakening.

Anyone concur to this?

Bad translation+VA examples I've been given as well: https://youtu.be/miH5KBXRnxI https://youtu.be/7SBlsUqCx-I

This list definitely wasn't written in a way to put the game as in negative a light as possible and is certainly exhaustively researched and has reliable sources, such as a link that has to preface its article with "the VA got in touch with us and said we were entirely wrong" but doesn't actually rescind the headline.

More seriously: yes, skinship was disabled (there's plenty of threads about it, as the OP points out), some names were changed, and some of the VA work could be better.

And while folks are free to have opinions on the localization, there is one line here that's really bugging me (especially because your post isn't the first time I've seen it.)

-Throwing shitty humor into the localization, like Kanna's dinosaur meme and the "Terrifying Spirit Mountian" dlc map being changed to "Boo Camp"

Like, I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Do people think Treehouse just randomly dug up something that is a hard sell for being a "meme" to begin with and shoved it in there because they hate writing or something?

Let me give context on that scene:
it's the end of Kanna's recruitment mission, which is set up as follows: Corrin comes to see them, but bandits invade. Kanna gets so desperate to protect their mom/dad that their dragon blood awakens and they turn into a dragon. After the battle, Corrin has Azura seal away that power in a Dragonstone and assures Kanna that that means they're their child and that it's not a bad thing. Corrin tries to leave then, but Kanna insists on coming along, and Corrin relents, and Kanna is overjoyed.

The original Japanese lines are generic "I'm so glad we can be together!" The localization uses the context in a funny, cute way -
Kanna literally was a dragon minutes ago and just got told their beloved mom/dad is the same
- to get the same idea across.

Again, I understand this is opinions and all that, but I'll strongly argue this is not a case of bad localization.

Oh and Boo Camp is just a pun.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I read somewhere Nintendo suggests Birthright>Conquest> Revelation. That's what I plan to do personally. Playing Birthright first should help me grasp the mechanics and strategies to tackle Conquest. And I'm going to wait for the exp map's to be released in case I need to grind a bit in Conquest.

That's what I'm leaning towards too.

But the question is do you buy Birthright as the base game, or Conquest? :p

It doesn't matter I'm going full digital

Got Birthright! What can I say, I'm into samurai!

Also I was looking around and saw something about "capturing" enemies---what's that about?

Certain units you get have a skill to capture enemies and some bosses that you can recruit them. Some of them have unique skill combos that would otherwise be tricky to get but they don't have supports. It's also the only way to get a dark Mage outside Corrin in Birthright.

Shun

"Sky Knight" isn't "Pegasus Knight". "Pegasus Knight" in Fates is the name of a Minerva-exclusive class, that we probably won't even see here due to no Cipher tie ins, unless the 2nd season of DLC happens. The standard pegasus fighting class had a different name in the Japanese version, which is why they also gave it a different name here.

The other complaints seem to overlook that 8-4 took similar creative liberties with renaming DLC, for example - see "Smash Brethren".

This is true.

A lot of the Nohr exclusive classes have the more traditional series names for classes and weapons.

The Hoshido classes had their own names and own skills for classes and weapons.

Warp would be called 七難即滅
Healing items were 祭
Pegasus Knight was 天馬武者
Swordmaster was 剣聖

The list goes on because the unique names for old classes were to fit with the Japanese theme of Hoshido.

Nohr still has your Great Knights and Paladins and what not.

quabba

"Sky Knight" isn't "Pegasus Knight". "Pegasus Knight" in Fates is the name of a Minerva-exclusive class, that we probably won't even see here due to no Cipher tie ins, unless the 2nd season of DLC happens. The standard pegasus fighting class had a different name in the Japanese version, which is why they also gave it a different name here.

The other complaints seem to overlook that 8-4 took similar creative liberties with renaming DLC, for example - see "Smash Brethren".

They always start from the beginning. You can record and import characters between different files, but that means that they'll be "extras" outside of the story and unable to get supports.

However, when you record a character, rather than buy the character itself for a different file, you can also use that to buy their skills for their version in the other file, but you won't be able to import their levels or stats like that.

Ah well it seems that information was incorrect about the classes. It's a good localisation imo then.

Actual question: how do you drop the difficulty down after you have started?

GSR

Ah well it seems that information was incorrect about the classes. It's a good localisation imo then.

Actual question: how do you drop the difficulty down after you have started?

It's an option between chapters on the world map menu. That does mean you're locked in to your difficulty for the first six chapters (e.g. before you make your choice and get the map menu) but those aren't too bad anyway.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Important note for people using the Male Avatar I just found out...if you don't marry right you can apparently miss out on a character, though I'm not sure of the details.

Going with a girl to avoid all that though.

Azuran

Banned
And while folks are free to have opinions on the localization, there is one line here that's really bugging me (especially because your post isn't the first time I've seen it.)

Like, I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Do people think Treehouse just randomly dug up something that is a hard sell for being a "meme" to begin with and shoved it in there because they hate writing or something?

Let me give context on that scene:
it's the end of Kanna's recruitment mission, which is set up as follows: Corrin comes to see them, but bandits invade. Kanna gets so desperate to protect their mom/dad that their dragon blood awakens and they turn into a dragon. After the battle, Corrin has Azura seal away that power in a Dragonstone and assures Kanna that that means they're their child and that it's not a bad thing. Corrin tries to leave then, but Kanna insists on coming along, and Corrin relents, and Kanna is overjoyed.

The original Japanese lines are generic "I'm so glad we can be together!" The localization uses the context in a funny, cute way -
Kanna literally was a dragon minutes ago and just got told their beloved mom/dad is the same
- to get the same idea across.

Again, I understand this is opinions and all that, but I'll strongly argue this is not a case of bad localization.

Oh and Boo Camp is just a pun.

But don't you get it man?! They changed it. THEY FUCKING CHANGED IT! Now the artist's vision is completely lost for all eternity and we're stuck with kids acting like kids. Localization Censorship is the worst and I can't believe people can stand for this. I for one will only be buying one copy. That should teach them!

GSR

Important note for people using the Male Avatar I just found out...if you don't marry right you can apparently miss out on a character, though I'm not sure of the details.

IIRC there's two ways to potentially miss a character when playing as a male: if you marry one of the "standard" female characters who can support most of the male characters (since then one of the guys will get left out and you won't get his kid), or if you take the male same-sex option (in which case you miss out on both the Avatar and
Niles
's kids.)

Kinsei

Banned

Isn't it the same as a girl?
The gay romance options
don't give you any kids.

Zolo

But don't you get it man?! They changed it. THEY FUCKING CHANGED IT! Now the artist's vision is completely lost for all eternity and we're stuck with kids acting like kids. Localization Censorship is the worst and I can't believe people can stand for this. I for one will only be buying one copy. That should teach them!

ZTDKM2G.png

Isn't it the same as a girl? The gay romance options don't give you any kids.
I was under the impression this was the only case as well. GSR's point makes sense though.

Shun

IIRC there's two ways to potentially miss a character when playing as a male: if you marry one of the "standard" female characters who can support most of the male characters (since then one of the guys will get left out and you won't get his kid), or if you take the male same-sex option (in which case you miss out on both the Avatar and
Niles
's kids.)

You didn't play Birthright but there's actually another way to miss a child character too if you are a shitty friend.

Well I've learned my lesson. Don't think preordering a game from Amazon two days before release will work!

Jelly of everyone with their copies inbound :mad:

I wanna play Conquest but I hear that it's ridiculously hard. I had an easy time with Awakening with no deaths on normal.

What would happen if I played Conquest on Easy with No permadeaths I wonder because I don't wanna have to reload battle after battle if it's as hard as I hear.

Busaiku

I wanna play Conquest but I hear that it's ridiculously hard. I had an easy time with Awakening with no deaths on normal.

What would happen if I played Conquest on Easy with No permadeaths I wonder because I don't wanna have to reload battle after battle if it's as hard as I hear.
If Awakening was easy enough for you, a Normal/Hard run on Conquest should be fine.
You might have a couple resets, but I doubt it'd be that bad.

You should be fine, on normal it's not that bad.

Really excited for tonight! I have Birthright pre loaded and I plan on purchasing Conquest as DLC so I can get those bonus items. I'm more excited to play Conquest, but I feel like playing Birthright first will be better since it's easier and will allow me to learn the new mechanics. I'll probably play a Normal Classic run through of both, and if Revelation isn't out by the time I'm done that, I'll play them again on Hard.

I'm SO excited about weapons having infinite durability now. I also viewed it as more of a hassle than a real strategic hinderance in past games.

Hugstable

Banned
I had no clue what the heck the different Talents in the game do, so I just went with Cavalier and I'm planning to do a Birthright playthrough. Hope I didn't screw up my Kamui :(

Jetman

But the biggest draw is that there are exclusive bonuses to those who have all 3 routes downloaded onto the cart save. You get access to the Dread Knight and Dark Flier Class through Reclass Seals and you also get stat enhancers such as Boots. You still get bonus items for owning 2 of the routes, but if you want all of it, get all 3!

So, if I did buy the two separate physical versions of Conquest and Birthrights, I'll still have access to the new classes and stat boosting items? I just have to save onto the same file?
I plan on playing Birthrights first, so when I pop that out and start Conquest, it'll see that save on my DS and give me the bonuses?

I asked this earlier, but didn't get an answer:
Does anyone know how hard lunatic is this time? If the choices are normal-hard-lunatic, then is lunatic more of a hard mode with hard being poem normal? Or is it like FE12 where you HAVE to get good level ups in order to beat to beginning levels?

I am for sure doing Hoshido, Nohr, then Revelations, but since Hoshido is on the easy side I probably want to do lunatic there, but don't want to have to endure having bad level ups. If Lunatic is more like Path of Radiance's and Radiant Dawn's hard modes though, then that would be great.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered (I had a quick look and couldn't find it), but when does the game come out in Australia?

JB has it listed for Dec 31st 2016, and EB have it listed as late 2016.

Is Conquest harder than the GBA FE games? I was thinking of going hard/classic for a similar experience to FE7/Sacred Stones.
Yeah it's harder than FE7/8 (FE6 is the hardest GBA game anyway and it wasn't even released here lol).
I had no clue what the heck the different Talents in the game do, so I just went with Cavalier and I'm planning to do a Birthright playthrough. Hope I didn't screw up my Kamui :(

"idk what I'm doing but I picked one of the best reclass options!"

you have a hidden sense for things you'll be fine :p

I asked this earlier, but didn't get an answer:
Does anyone know how hard lunatic is this time? If the choices are normal-hard-lunatic, then is lunatic more of a hard mode with hard being poem normal? Or is it like FE12 where you HAVE to get good level ups in order to beat to beginning levels?

I am for sure doing Hoshido, Nohr, then Revelations, but since Hoshido is on the easy side I probably want to do lunatic there, but don't want to have to endure having bad level ups. If Lunatic is more like Path of Radiance's and Radiant Dawn's hard modes though, then that would be great.
Lunatic is harder than Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn easily in Nohr.

Top Bottom