• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So...could I download one game, beat it, then delete it (but keep the save file) and then go with the other one and get the connectivity bonuses? Or would I need the full games installed together?

Shun

Wasn't Puppet + Warp super broken for pvp?

七難即滅 depended on your accuracy if you were able to get them to warp over but yeah Puppet is a great skill.

You can actually get the Hoshido Warp from Chapter 9 in Conquest in a chest. Super limited since 2 uses but you can get more through DLC.

So...could I download one game, beat it, then delete it (but keep the save file) and then go with the other one and get the connectivity bonuses? Or would I need the full games installed together?

Why would you delete the base version when the add on takes little SD space? You have both installed and it should be no bigger than like ~2.2gb. Keep them installed.

CSX

In terms of gameplay, Fate improves on Awakening in every single way.

Improvements and balances on the new systems Awakening introduced with attack and guard stance.

A brand new weapon class

A whole new set of unit classes

A whole new set of weapons.

Actual interesting objectives and map gimmicks (sadly nearly all of those are on two of the three routes lol)

Interesting changes with lack of weapon durability and having two weapon classes on each side of the weapon triangle.

This game is Awakening 2.0 in the way that I can't see myself playing Awakening again. All the other FEs except for Shadow Dragon I can see myself replay once a while. However, Fates does a so much better job as a superior Awakening that I have no interesting in revisiting Awakening.

Chase17

Was leaning Birthright the whole time but all of a sudden I have a strong urge to start with Conquest. Looking for a coin to flip.

Here's my prediction for the result (welp didn't realize this image was so big. Sorry thread!).
Coin.jpg

I'm going Birthright first then Revelations.

It looks like I will have to miss out on Conquest, since I am on a bit of a budget with so many good games coming out the next two months.

addyb

Playing through birthright at the moment
upto chapter 14
for me it's a good challenge on hard. I've died plenty of times due to foolish moves. I'm no FE expert though with only having played awakening previously.

Fantastic game though. Loving the improvements over awakening and the nice extra features with the base building. Kind of digging the story thus far as well :)

Saw Birthright and Conquest on the shelves at my local walmart. Thought about trying to buy one but last time I tried getting a game early at walmart, I couldnt.

Azuran

Banned
I finally got the call from EB Games letting me know they have my Special Edition on hold so I should be having it on my hands first thing in the morning.

These last couple of hours before bed are going to drive me insane. I need it now.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Has anyone who ordered the Special Edition from Best Buy had it shipped yet? I thought this was supposed to be release-day delivery...

scarlet

Playing through birthright at the moment
upto chapter 14
for me it's a good challenge on hard. I've died plenty of times due to foolish moves. I'm no FE expert though with only having played awakening previously.

Fantastic game though. Loving the improvements over awakening and the nice extra features with the base building. Kind of digging the story thus far as well :)

I don't think you need spoiler tag there

Apparently I preordered Birthright and not Conquest - I didn't know anything about either version when I preordered. Oh well, should be fun to start with the more Awakening style game and moving to more classic with Conquest. Also like to do a female playthrough first so it works out.

CSX

For those playing birthright right now and recruiting the children

Does a certain child
actually speaks some good haiku lines in her dialouge
??

So, I've been hearing a lot of reports from people on other boards who got their hands on this early that Treehouse's localization job of this was absolutely *horrible* compared to 8-4's efforts with Awakening.

-Skinship was censored for no reason (and yes it's gone, live2D assets are still in but you cannot touch your waifu/husbando and reports of it being "altered for S-rank only" are confused about the wake up event)
-Compared to the Japanese version's 3196 audio files, the NA version only has 1208. That's over 1988 audio files cut due to the skinship removal
-Despite the cut content, the game's file size is actually BIGGER than the JP version
-Swimsuits were removed because Treehouse thinks people have never been to the beach
-Character names were changed for absolutely no reason, some getting name changes as silly as adding or removing a single letter from their name
-Skill/Class names were changed for no reason, some of them being long running series staples (Pegasus Knight is now Sky Knight)
-Throwing shitty humor into the localization, like Kanna's dinosaur meme and the "Terrifying Spirit Mountian" dlc map being changed to "Boo Camp"

-Some character's confession scenes have been shortened for inexplicable reasons
-They've changed Effie's character from being a "gentle giant who is strong but soft spoken and caring" to a "butch female armor clad soldier who don't need no man, sully 2.0"
-No dual audio despite Awakening having it
-The dub is awful because Treehouse provided practically zero direction to the VAs, confirmed by the voice actress of Azura/Aqua herself in an interview

Anyone concur to this?

Bad translation+VA examples I've been given as well: https://youtu.be/miH5KBXRnxI https://youtu.be/7SBlsUqCx-I

Zolo

Most of those changes will be seen as most people here on GAF, but I did hear the disappointment with Effie on Serenes or somewhere else.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Should I:
1. Buy Birthright with conquest and revelations as DLC
2. Buy Conquest with Birthright and Revelations as DLC.

And should I:
A. Play Birthright, then Conquest, then Revelations
B. Play Birthright, then Revelations, then Conquest
C. Play Conquest, then Birthright, then Revelations
D. Play Conquest, then Revelations, then Birthright
E. Play Revelations, then Birthright, then Conquest (lol)
F. Play Revelations, then Conquest, then Birthright (lol)

And what difficulties should I play on?

SO. MANY. CHOICES. :3

DO ALL OF THEM

So, I've been hearing a lot of reports from people on other boards who got their hands on this early that Treehouse's localization job of this was absolutely *horrible* compared to 8-4's efforts with Awakening.

Anyone concur to this?

Bad translation+VA examples I've been given as well: https://youtu.be/miH5KBXRnxI https://youtu.be/7SBlsUqCx-I
ITT: people don't realize names like pegasus knights were already changed in Japanese

quabba

The game isn't fully voiced anyway so I'd probably turn them off. I don't like changing the names of series classes.. Keep it consistent.

Anyone concur to this?

well some of these are just different opinions/Nitpicks and the last one is false.

I like the Effie JP voice waaaay better, really sells the gentle person with monsterous power they were going for.

But I really like Felecia's voice honestly in English, the tones in conveying some sense of awkwardness is spot on.

pariah164

Should I:

And should I:

The correct order is play Birthright and Conquest in whichever order you want, then play Revelation last, since Revelation has spoilers for both games. As for difficulty, how experienced with FE are you?

Anyone concur to this?

some are understandable, some are whatever
a lot of them feel like they changed it for the sake of changing something
there's also the feel of inconsistency in their changes, like shorten some names, lengthen others, there's no rhyme or reason really in all of the changes
some of the character changes are really bad (effie especially) and some of the voices are pretty terrible too

it's more like its a serviceable localization, just where it's bad, it's really bad

some are understandable, some are whatever
a lot of them feel like they changed it for the sake of changing something
there's also the feel of inconsistency in their changes, like shorten some names, lengthen others, there's no rhyme or reason really in all of the changes
some of the character changes are really bad (effie especially) and some of the voices are pretty terrible too

it's more like its a serviceable localization, just where it's bad, it's really bad

well some people wanted consistency, we are going back to the console ways of voice acting

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Got Birthright! What can I say, I'm into samurai!

Is there a good guide yet for getting all the characters? I assume there are plenty of missable ones like in Awakening, though probably less obvious given I hear this game is more clever/creative when it comes to mission styles.

Also I was looking around and saw something about "capturing" enemies---what's that about?

microdot

Should I:

And should I:

SO. MANY. CHOICES. :3

DO ALL OF THEM

I read somewhere Nintendo suggests Birthright>Conquest> Revelation. That's what I plan to do personally. Playing Birthright first should help me grasp the mechanics and strategies to tackle Conquest. And I'm going to wait for the exp map's to be released in case I need to grind a bit in Conquest.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So I have a question for the knowledgeable dudes, when you play Revelations after 1 or 2 of the regular games; do you get to port your characters directly? Or are all the characters basically "reset" in a sense with a pre-selected level and pre-selected stats. So for example, I grind the shit outta Birthright and max out all my chars, do they copied directly into Revelations or are my characters somewhat reset? What about pairings?

NeonZ

Anyone concur to this?

"Sky Knight" isn't "Pegasus Knight". "Pegasus Knight" in Fates is the name of a Minerva-exclusive class, that we probably won't even see here due to no Cipher tie ins, unless the 2nd season of DLC happens. The standard pegasus fighting class had a different name in the Japanese version, which is why they also gave it a different name here.

The other complaints seem to overlook that 8-4 took similar creative liberties with renaming DLC, for example - see "Smash Brethren".

So I have a question for the knowledgeable dudes, when you play Revelations after 1 or 2 of the regular games; do you get to port your characters directly? Or are all the characters basically "reset" in a sense with a pre-selected level and pre-selected stats. So for example, I grind the shit outta Birthright and max out all my chars, do they copied directly into Revelations or are my characters somewhat reset?
They always start from the beginning. You can record and import characters between different files, but that means that the imported character will be an "extra" outside of the story and unable to get supports.

However, when you record a character, rather than buying the character itself for a different file, you can also use that to buy their skills for their actual version in the other file, but you won't be able to import their levels or stats like that, just skills, and they need to be bought.

Shun

I like the Effie JP voice waaaay better, really sells the gentle person with monsterous power they were going for.

But I really like Felecia's voice honestly in English, the tones in conveying some sense of awkwardness is spot on.

Support spoilers for Effie

Elfie also wasn't a big girl she's described as petite in the game. She just always had a huge appetite and loves training as her quirk which everyone found surprising and part of her unexpectedness out of her character.

Got Birthright! What can I say, I'm into samurai!

Is there a good guide yet for getting all the characters? I assume there are plenty of missable ones like in Awakening, though probably less obvious given I hear this game is more clever/creative when it comes to mission styles.

Also I was looking around and saw something about "capturing" enemies---what's that about?

exactly what it means. with a certain skill you can capture enemies and throw them in your prison once you unlock the building.

Top Bottom