• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

syncyes

Rhajat died in the last turn of Endgame and I couldn't bear to restart at that point :( Damn you Quixotic, I should've unequipped.

Finally time to start Conquest :D

Is there a Support Log in this game? I assumed it would pop up after I beat the game but I still can't find one.

Got about 2-3 chapters left of Revelation. I like the map gimmicks a lot but my units are so OP now that there isn't much tension anymore. I try to use some under levelled characters to make things interesting and try to keep them alive throughout.

Some of the paralogues really gave me that work though. Whew. Lots of close calls.

Visually I like a lot of the Revelation maps but at this point I still think Conquest is the best gameplay path.

NeonZ

Rhajat died in the last turn of Endgame and I couldn't bear to restart at that point :( Damn you Quixotic, I should've unequipped.

Finally time to start Conquest :D

Is there a Support Log in this game? I assumed it would pop up after I beat the game but I still can't find one.

The support log is in the hall building in the castle, rather than in the main menu.

yami4ct

I'm playing Conquest on Hard/Classic and I would personally never ever want to play FE on casual. Even if losing a unit makes a map harder, there are already a ton of scenarios were I could have used less interesting strategies to beat a map if I could sacrifice a unit. The goal of getting through a map no deaths is not just about the fail condition and difficulty, but it forces you to be careful and think about a map before acting.

Promotions are starting to role in now. Seeing the stat growths on the first gen mercenaries isn't making me hopeful. Selena will make a decent Hero, I suppose, but nothing spectacular. Laslow seems weird all round. I like his character, but I think I'll bench him and grind his support on Castle Battles. Hopefully there's some Second Gen mercenaries thank can pick up the slack, because I love on foot sword classes.

Azuran

Banned
I'm playing Conquest on Hard/Classic and I would personally never ever want to play FE on casual. Even if losing a unit makes a map harder, there are already a ton of scenarios were I could have used less interesting strategies to beat a map if I could sacrifice a unit. The goal of getting through a map no deaths is not just about the fail condition and difficulty, but it forces you to be careful and think about a map before acting.

Promotions are starting to role in now. Seeing the stat growths on the first gen mercenaries isn't making me hopeful. Selena will make a decent Hero, I suppose, but nothing spectacular. Laslow seems weird all round. I like his character, but I think I'll bench him and grind his support on Castle Battles. Hopefully there's some Second Gen mercenaries thank can pick up the slack, because I love on foot sword classes.

You have to pray to the RNG gods for Selena and Laslow not to get screwed on crucial stats. Those annoying 45% growths means Selena won't be able to kill anything and Laslow won't double anything if the universe hates you. They're great otherwise but you really have to rely on luck for them to turn out good.

yami4ct

You have to pray to the RNG gods for Selena and Laslow not to get screwed on crucial stats. Those annoying 45% growths means Selena won't be able to kill anything and Laslow won't double anything if the universe hates you. They're great otherwise but you really have to rely on luck for them to turn out good.

At level 18, my Selena is sitting at 30 HP, 15 STR, 21 SPD, 3 MAG, 14 LCK, 15 SKILL, 17 DEF and 13 RES.

I'm not feeling too bad about those growths. I would've liked more strength, but a speedy tank isn't that bad.

My Laslow is Level 14 30/15/14/16/18/11/8.

That distribution of stats just seems weird to me. I've not been paying much attention, but I don't know what it is.

Balphon

At level 18, my Selena is sitting at 30 HP, 15 STR, 21 SPD, 3 MAG, 14 LCK, 15 SKILL, 17 DEF and 13 RES.

I'm not feeling too bad about those growths. I would've liked more strength, but a speedy tank isn't that bad.

My Laslow is Level 14 30/15/14/16/18/11/8.

That distribution of stats just seems weird to me. I've not been paying much attention, but I don't know what it is.

Laslow is fairly average stat-wise and is the worst of the three Mercenaries unless you give Soleil a terrible mom.

Selena's SPD and DEF are both really good, but you may have to invest an energy drop on her for her STR to be viable long-term.

yami4ct

Laslow is fairly average stat-wise and is the worst of the three Mercenaries unless you give Soleil a terrible mom.

Selena's SPD and DEF are both really good, but you may have to invest an energy drop on her for her STR to be viable long-term.

Given I didn't use my stat items until the very last battle in Birthright, that seems totally doable. I'll keep running her and see where she ends up.

I think I'll be dumping Laslow completely and either giving my under leveled Beruka a slot or end up filling that space with a second gen once I start grabbing them up.

Ogodei

Two resets off of the endgame and i'm ready to kick a kitten like a football.

Are we SURE these reinforcements never end? I can park at the front area for two hours if need be, that's how much time i wasted on failed runs anyway.

yami4ct

Two resets off of the endgame and i'm ready to kick a kitten like a football.

Are we SURE these reinforcements never end? I can park at the front area for two hours if need be, that's how much time i wasted on failed runs anyway.

I assume this is Conquest's Endgame? Birthright is tremendously easy to cheese.

Ogodei

I assume this is Conquest's Endgame? Birthright is tremendously easy to cheese.

Aye, Conquest. Infinite reinforcements, overpowered enemies, boss's AOE attack that you only have limited Dragon Veins to stop, and you basically have to win in 5 turns or these really nasty folks come in. None of my team is strong enough to just cheese it, even though many of them are approaching level 20.

Aye, Conquest. Infinite reinforcements, overpowered enemies, boss's AOE attack that you only have limited Dragon Veins to stop, and you basically have to win in 5 turns or these really nasty folks come in. None of my team is strong enough to just cheese it, even though many of them are approaching level 20.
I'd be much more okay with this if I could save there.

yami4ct

I'd be much more okay with this if I could save there.

Yeah. I hate back to back chapters with no saves as a difficulty thing. It feels really cheap and unearned. I get not letting you resupply, it's cheap but mostly fine. Not getting to save is just silly. I disliked it in Birthright and that one only took me 2 gos.

Oh well, I've got plenty of time to steel myself for Conquest Endgame.

NeonZ

Chapter 27 and 28 together at least to me were smaller than 26 by itself (although I did cover both corridors in order to get all chests), so I wasn't annoyed by the lack of a save point there.

It's kind of hard to give any suggestions for end game since the team builds can be vastly different. One of the most useful units for me in chapter 28 ended up being Gazak, who I had just captured before then and originally added as team filler. Only with his help (he starts with 40 str if you recruit him at end game) and a hammer I took out in one attack those annoying generals blocking the path. Meanwhile, I baited those Wyvern Riders at their furthest range (forcing them to use spells) with Jakob.

I also had a Dark Flier Robin with Rally Spectrum and Rally Movement stacked, which I used to boost my main units and make them reach and attack Takumi in the next turn (I also had given two boost to my avatar and one to Xander).

Brakke

Banned

But that's silly. Allowing yourself to lose people on Casual still forces you to think through the map. You just have different options. Instead of "well, I absolutely cannot do that?" you have to think "is it worth doing that?". "Can I survive this mission without that person?" and "can that person keep up with the EXP curve if they die now?".

I had the same intuition that you did, that "Casual" is easy-to-the-point-of-boring, but I'm enjoying the different style of Casual. I think it helps that I'm coming right from Hard Classic other path: facing a fundamentally different incentive/win condition structure helps keep things fresh.

yami4ct

But that's silly. Allowing yourself to lose people on Casual still forces you to think through the map. You just have different options. Instead of "well, I absolutely cannot do that?" you have to think "is it worth doing that?". "Can I survive this mission without that person?" and "can that person keep up with the EXP curve if they die now?".

I had the same intuition that you did, that "Casual" is easy-to-the-point-of-boring, but I'm enjoying the different style of Casual. I think it helps that I'm coming right from Hard Classic other path: facing a fundamentally different incentive/win condition structure helps keep things fresh.

I'm not discrediting your fun, you do you, but I completely disagree. The 'different' options Casual gives you are fundamentally uninteresting to me. As much as you do worry about EXP growth, that's not the same kind of careful strategic thinking not losing anyone requires.

Take for example, Conquest 10. There are many times I could've sacrificed a single unit or two to easily help clear that chapter with little loss of EXP. Because I was on Classic, though, I couldn't do that and had to think of much more interesting and careful strategies to tackle the same problem. That map would not have been as tense, interesting or fun for me on Casual. It flat out just would not be. It's one of my favorite experiences in FE on Classic.

GamerSoul

Haha just got Nina. Finally an interesting child. I expected no less from Niles.

And so far I'm loving my units on this run compared to my Birthright play through. Effie, Beruka, Keating, Peri, my Corrine, and Cancer are great units!

Squire

Banned
I'm not discrediting your fun, you do you, but I completely disagree. The 'different' options Casual gives you are fundamentally uninteresting to me. As much as you do worry about EXP growth, that's not the same kind of careful strategic thinking not losing anyone requires.

Take for example, Conquest 10. There are many times I could've sacrificed a single unit or two to easily help clear that chapter with little loss of EXP. Because I was on Classic, though, I couldn't do that and had to think of much more interesting and careful strategies to tackle the same problem. That map would not have been as tense, interesting or fun for me on Casual. It flat out just would not be. It's one of my favorite experiences in FE on Classic.

You have pretty strong opinions on Casual to not have spent any time with it. Positioning units properly to distribute EXP is no less strategic on casual than it is on classic, fir one thing. Nobody is sending their units out on a death march from the very start. You try to put your units in positions where they'll survive, if not succeed; I do the same.

Suicide tactics isn't something you're going to make use of on Casual unless you're very late in a map and just that close to winning. You're not just brute forcing every encounter out of the gate, throwing everyone under the bus until Corrin or Xander/Ryona gets the job done.

yami4ct

You have pretty strong opinions on Casual to not have spent any time with it. Positioning units properly to distribute EXP is no less strategic on casual than it is on classic, fir one thing. Nobody is sending their units out on a death march from the very start. You try to put your units in positions where they'll survive, if not succeed; I do the same.

Suicide tactics isn't something you're going to make use of on Casual unless you're very late in a map and just that close to winning. You're not just brute forcing every encounter out of the gate, throwing everyone under the bus until Corrin or Xander/Ryona gets the job done.

I know what situations Classic has forced me into getting around because I've had to make sure someone didn't die. Without a death penalty (or a major one. I don't consider loss of EXP on that map that large, even on Conquest) , there are a ton of maps that would've been less strategically interesting. I would've not loved Conquest 10 as much as I did on Classic as I did on Casual. Flat out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 22, oh god. My team is totally separated, reinfocements all over the map, and after two full turns of "OH SHIT OH SHIT" I was one clutch dodge (I guess 64 hit is "clutch") away from turning the tides. But nope. :(

Brakke

Banned
I think you're conflating "thing I enjoy" with "strategic complexity". Casual is still complex. It just asks you to optimize different things than Classic does. Frequently, I found the solution to a difficult problem in Birthright Hard Classic was "I guess I'll just run Ryoma in with someone Paired Up with him to draw aggro and trivially murder all those clowns".

And then if he failed, I'd just reset and try again for better rolls. Allowing yourself to play beyond a death you'd otherwise reset forces you into new, oftentimes tricky problems.

One of the biggest mistakes I made in Conquest was rushing early in the first half of the game. The cockiness of Casual + Normal made me use really stupid tactics. I didnt permanently lose any units but I also missed out on a LOT of EXP that would have made the last few levels easier to handle.

yami4ct

I think you're conflating "thing I enjoy" with "strategic complexity". Casual is still complex. It just asks you to optimize different things than Classic does. Frequently, I found the solution to a difficult problem in Birthright Hard Classic was "I guess I'll just run Ryoma in with someone Paired Up with him to draw aggro and trivially murder all those clowns".

And then if he failed, I'd just reset and try again for better rolls. Allowing yourself to play beyond a death you'd otherwise reset forces you into new, oftentimes tricky problems.

I don't think it's crazy to say that, while Casual is still complex, Classic is often times a higher complexity. There are easier solutions that Casual lets you get away with that just aren't possible in Classic. You definitely have to think certain problems out far more deeply because you can't afford the sacrifice.

Moonlight

Banned
The 'problem' with casual mode is that FE's AI isn't balanced with the idea that you can keep trucking on with a single loss at all. Enemies in the game aren't smart, and they'll do what seem to be the dumbest things and rush into the worst positions if the computer told them that there's a squishy unit that can't retaliate within range. They rush in and do dumb stuff because the game's balanced around the idea that what happens after they rush in is irrelevant, since the game's met a fail state.

I mean, yeah, XP curve is an issue, but the thing is that the XP curve is way more lenient when you're always going to be certain a character has the opportunity to take risks and, in the end, still be a continuing component of your army. Units can catch up, and your strategies will always leave open a consideration that the game wasn't balanced around anyways. That's its' own kind of fun, but for the game FE is built on the mechanics it has, that's not how the series appeals to me. It unbalances how the game weighs risk and reward and I really don't think it's incorrect of me to say that you're not required to take full advantage of mechanics. What correct positioning means in Casual and what it means in Classic are two very different things in terms of what you're allowed to get away with.

I finished Conquest and the map/mission design was great. And thank god because the writing is a new low for the series. It's not even an interesting trainwreck either, just a mess of badly written characters making nonsensical decisions. Is Revelation's writing at least passable or should I just expect more of this?

I don't think removing perma-death takes out all the strategy out of FE, and most players who play on casual aren't going to be doing suicide plays, most of the time.

With that said, I do think removing permadeath makes it less tactical, since part of FE's difficulty is derived from having permanent consequences. I feel like casual mode doesn't really account for this, and it trivializes some of the game's more interesting challenges.

Ultimately you should just play it how you want. There's no right or wrong way, and what matters is having fun. The idea of playing 45 minutes into a mission and then having someone die is incredibly tedious and frustrating to some people. Nothing wrong with that. And Conquest is especially unforgiving on the higher difficulties. I prefer classic mode, but I don't think casual is completely brainless, it's just that they're on different levels.

Casual is easier/less tactical, but there are people who play on higher difficulties because casual is an option. Is normal/classic more difficult than hard/casual?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Casual is easier/less tactical, but there are people who play on higher difficulties because casual is an option. Is normal/classic more difficult than hard/casual?

I think it depends on your playstyle, honestly.

In the end classic has a "permanent" fail state if you aren't resetting, where you can simply lack the resources to continue playing by losing too many units. Casual mode doesn't have anything like that regardless of difficulty. Looking at it that way any casual difficulty is "easier" than any classic difficulty, simply because you always have resources available to continue. At most, some units miss out on some experience for a battle.

Throwing resetting or suicide tactics or whatever else into the mix complicates things a lot.

Squire

Banned
One of the biggest mistakes I made in Conquest was rushing early in the first half of the game. The cockiness of Casual + Normal made me use really stupid tactics. I didnt permanently lose any units but I also missed out on a LOT of EXP that would have made the last few levels easier to handle.

Yeah, it's easy to make this mistake. I wasn't ready for Birthright endgame. I finished, but it wasn't easy because I didn't pace myself early on and I took too long picking a core team and dropping units when I needed to. I'm glad I'm playing Conquest after all that because it's asking me to play that much smarter, even on casual.

Exactly.

Just beat Conquest and now I just started Birthright. I just started from the Branch of Fate so am I losing some EXP off the bat? I could just grind it I guess if I need to.

Not gonna lie, I kinda felt like a dick choosing Hoshido after all the interactions with the Nohr people. Having to side with Takumi also made it difficult.
Fuck Takumi

yami4ct

Yeah, it's easy to make this mistake. I wasn't ready for Birthright endgame. I finished, but it wasn't easy because I didn't pace myself early on and I took too long picking a core team and dropping units when I needed to. I'm glad I'm playing Conquest after all that because it's asking me to play that much smarter, even on casual.

I honestly don't think you could be underleveled for Birthright Endgame if you tried. Just Hexing Rod and Rush the Boss and win. No reason to deal with the mooks since EXP no longer matters.

Squire

Banned
I honestly don't think you could be underleveled for Birthright Endgame if you tried. Just Hexing Rod and Rush the Boss and win. No reason to deal with the mooks since EXP no longer matters.

I mean, that's what I did, but Corrin and Ryoma carried us for about four chapters. The others couldn't take much more than 2-3 encounters.

Xenoflare

Just beat Conquest and now I just started Birthright. I just started from the Branch of Fate so am I losing some EXP off the bat? I could just grind it I guess if I need to.

Not gonna lie, I kinda felt like a dick choosing Hoshido after all the interactions with the Nohr people. Having to side with Takumi also made it difficult.
Fuck Takumi

The game creates a special save file every time you hit Chapter 6 when you start fresh from chapter 1, in other words if you choose branch of fate you will have the same and level as you did when you got to chapter 6 the very first time.

However if you change the gender of your avatar your new servant will start at level 1.

yami4ct

I mean, that's what I did, but Corrin and Ryoma carried us for about four chapters. The others couldn't take much more than 2-3 encounters.

With a dancer and some horse units, you can kill him in a single turn on hard. Hell, my Corrin wasn't even level 20 and she murdered him. No need to survive encounters when you aren't having them.

Not calling you bad at the game. It's just that that particular boss fight is the biggest joke.

Balphon

Fuck Takumi

Takumi is truly the worst.

Takumi is the best sibling and possibly the best character, y'all are haters.

Fuck Xander should really be what people say instead. Justice is an illusion my ass, maybe the worst Camus in the series.

Xenoflare

Takumi is truly the worst.

As much as I dislike him his rage again is fully justified if you chose Conquest.

You end up proving him right on not trusting you because you betrayed Hoshido. He bickers at you about returning to Nohr the moment you meet him

yami4ct

Fuck Xander should really be what people say instead. Justice is an illusion my ass, maybe the worst Camus in the series.

I don't love BIrthright's story (I thought it was just fine), but his boss chapter is the only part that actually made me angry. What a bullshit awful piece of writing. Complete lack of character motivation.

Squire

Banned
With a dancer and some horse units, you can kill him in a single turn on hard. Hell, my Corrin wasn't even level 20 and she murdered him. No need to survive encounters when you aren't having them.

Not calling you bad at the game. It's just that that particular boss fight is the biggest joke.

I didn't really use fliers in Birthright and I didn't use Silas either. Mobility was sort of limited. Those last chapters didn't take too many turns (3 at most), but it was a matter of getting the leads where I needed them to be and using the rest of the team to make sure they didn't have to plough through entire maps on their own.

It worked and I could've brought everyone up, but I wanted to finish and get to the next path at that point.

The game creates a special save file every time you hit Chapter 6 when you start fresh from chapter 1, in other words if you choose branch of fate you will have the same and level as you did when you got to chapter 6 the very first time.

However if you change the gender of your avatar your new servant will start at level 1.

Ok, that's fine. I did change my gender but I don't care about Jakob anyways. Give me Felicia back!

Balphon

As much as I dislike him his rage again is fully justified if you chose Conquest.

You end up proving him right on not trusting you because you betrayed Hoshido. He bickers at you about returning to Nohr the moment you meet him

He's a one-note petulant child who somehow manages to be less mature than Corrin, a character who has the emotional complexity of a turnip.

Nah, Takumi sucks.

Xenoflare

He's a one-note petulant child who somehow manages to be less mature than Corrin, a character who has the emotional complexity of a turnip.

Nah, Takumi sucks.

At least he had
actual plot relevance unlike Hinoka

I love the Nohrian siblings much more but Takumi is not as bad as people says

Though he's a lost cause when you compare him to his Nohrian counterpart. At least the rest would have some competition.

Takumi's all like:

spWXQOb.jpg

jerk

nah but for real Leo and Oboro are both better

yami4ct

I didn't really use fliers in Birthright and I didn't use Silas either. Mobility was sort of limited. Those last chapters didn't take too many turns (3 at most), but it was a matter of getting the leads where I needed them to be and using the rest of the team to make sure they didn't have to plough through entire maps on their own.

It worked and I could've brought everyone up, but I wanted to finish and get to the next path at that point.

If FE has taught me anything, it's always invest in high mobility units. I can't imagine playing without a good Sophie, Silas, Hinokia or Caeldori. They were all so useful for me.

You don't need them leveled to 1 turn the boss in Birthright, though. Use them to Transport your staff user into Hexing range first turn. Run Corrin up. Corrin should be paired with someone that gives +Spd or Skill . If your Corrin is anywhere near getting OK skill growths, a Dragon Fang activation is near guaranteed on a 2x. If he dies first turn, good. If not, move Azura on a flier, Sing Corrin and Win.

Conquest 15

So the level's really unique and fun. Gunter died twice near the end cause his speed is ass and enemy crit's decided to rear it's ugly head though.

Also the stone that Azura probably pulled out of her ass is tolerable but why not reunite with Leo and the rest of the siblings before using it? Sure you want to avoid explaining that other realm to the others but they would probably get on board with what you're planning to do in the end game if they saw what was going on with Garon.

yami4ct

Conquest 15

So the level's really unique and fun. Died twice near the end cause Gunther's speed is ass and enemy crit's decided to rear it's ugly head though.

Also the stone that Azura probably pulled out of her ass is tolerable but why not reunite with Leo and the rest of the siblings before using it? Sure you want to avoid explaining that other realm to the others but they would probably get on board with what you're planning to do in the end game if they saw what was going on with Garon.

So many free levels for Corrin. Glad I hadn't been putting too much EXP on her since I just caught up in a single chapter that way. I love that level for that reason alone. I think the level is a really interesting thing even without that. Forces you to make good use of limited resources and the way

your duplicates share heals and damage
really made you think about strategy on two levels.

Gunther's growths are horrendous, so off to the bench he went.

Top Bottom