• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Yesterday's Pixel Dailies theme was Fire Emblem. Some cool stuff came out of it:

CeCXQAnUAAE9RCm.jpg

Source

giphy.gif

Source

So should I even bother with Nyx in Conquest?
Because unless her first few Support Convos are great I don't think I can take these voice lines. I love magic characters gameplay wise but

"CHILD"
"KID"
"I'M OLDER THAN YOU THINK"

she's a magic nuke, makes a good partner with leo and a good mother for his son

she has some nice voice lines when she wins in a battle too

The thing I don't get about Nyx is that all her pair-up battle dialogue is like "Keep your eyes on me" or "I'm the one you should be looking for" and I don't really get why.

CazTGG

Conquest Chapter 25:

Fuck everything. I have never been so pissed at a fictional death before. Corrin and Azura are idiots and I really don't care what happens to them. At this point I'm hoping Garon eats them both. It's the only ending this travesty of a story deserves.

I forget, was that the one where Xander has the gall to say "justice is an illusion" and how the world is not black and white when they literally have black-clad characters with skulls on their armor who are most certainly the baddies fighting people clad in white? Because that chapter can go screw itself.

So I'm just kinda doing all the paths at the same time - after a chapter or two I'll just jump to another path. Only thing is I keep having to raise my units up to par each time but otherwise it's going pretty great. I ended up changing difficulty on Conquest to casual just because I kept wasting time when one unit (*cough* Azura) dies near the end of the battle. Otherwise, sticking with Classic on the other two paths.

Anyone else playing all the paths together?

Lynx_7

Conquest Chapter 26 took forever. Had to use quite a few utility staffs and that clusterfuck down at the bottom of the map was annoying to deal with if only because of how time consuming it was. Weakest chapter since the amazing 22 - 25 stretch started.
Also, when King Garon said he would like to consult his evil god first and nobody should enter the throne room I thought would be the moment Corrin and Azura would kinda stop and realize "oh, maybe that convoluted plan was kinda stupid huh". Considering how much of a diva Garon is he could just refuse to sit because the voices whispered "hey maybe you shouldn't sit on the holy sacred throne of stuffs being evil and all" in his ears.

Astral Dog

Everyone's so far ahead.

I'm still on Birthright and still have to get through all of Conquest before trying Revelation.

That said I need to know if there are any Birthright
Kaze
situations where I need to
A rank someone before a certain stage otherwise they die
in Conquest and Revelations.
No
🔝I know that was the point when i expected Corrin to say "you know this plan is the stupidest thing ive ever done" and just attack Garon.

The thing I don't get about Nyx is that all her pair-up battle dialogue is like "Keep your eyes on me" or "I'm the one you should be looking for" and I don't really get why.

Isn't she talking to the enemy? I thought most of the pair up convos were directed at the enemy, not your partner.

As far as using Nyx goes, if you can support her low hit rate she will absolutely wreck enemies with her high magic. By end game, my Nyx was 1 rounding everything with a Forged Lightning tome. I did make an effort with her early and made her go archer for 2 levels to grab Skill + 2 and Quick Draw, which combined with the higher skill growth (got skill both levels) helped a surprising bit. Also got her Tomefaire and called it a day on skills.

If Grandmaster wasn't limited to males only, it would actually be an excellent class for her since it does a lot to cover her weaknesses. Since it isn't, oddly enough Archer is her next best class (growth-wise and skill wise, at least for the 2 levels needed for skills), and Diviner (if you can access it) is her best overall until Sorcerer is available. Witch would also be a good substitute once it comes out, though I do understand wanting to save it for someone better (Elise, Ophelia).

Yes, I have thought a lot on improving Nyx. I am oddly fond of her and I can't say why. Maybe she is more of a diamond in the rough, similar to how I view Orochi on Birthright.

Lynx_7

I forget, was that the one where Xander has the gall to say "justice is an illusion" and how the world is not black and white when they literally have black-clad characters with skulls on their armor who are most certainly the baddies fighting people clad in white? Because that chapter can go screw itself.

No, chapter 25 is
the one where Ryoma dies. Regardless of the circumstances that lead to said event being... questionable, I did really like the whole setup and how the scene played out. Though I can only imagine how much more effective it would've been if the game did a better job setting up its story and (enemy) characters.

yami4ct

I'm using a Dark Falcon Nyx and she's a pretty fantastic unit. First really awesome mage I've had in both Birthright or Conquest. Just got Leo and he seems alright, but only because of his exclusive Tome.

NeonZ

This was pretty stupid (spoilers for the final battle)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...f/Avatar_Chapter27_VsGaron_01_zpsvaggjzrz.jpg

It's not a problem by itself, but after the ending,
the characters start wondering who could be behind the monsters that killed Garon and Takumi, completely ignoring how Garon had just given the information to them. They don't even show any suspicion about the "Anankos" that Garon mentioned so much.

I really think all these inconsistencies and developments that don't work well were created by IS' writers following an outline not written by them. The way they "filled" the plot with specific quotes and details often conflicts with the general direction it follows. I really hope they won't use this story writing method again and just make everything in-house like usual next time.

JulianImp

Just got to a support conversation between Harold and Luna where he screamed like a little girl after hearing a thunder... I'm seriously thinking about shipping the two together because they do kind of get along.

Meanwhile, Mozume keeps learning new skills from castle battles. It's funny that lots of high-level players prefer to have a whole team with the same set of abilities and no weapons, or weapons they can't use that have been renamed to say something, or lots of healing items. I bet these kinds of castles sure are helpful on higher difficulties.

Draxal

People are just skill shopping from each other. Anyway, I went with Harold/Selena and it works fine. Percy doesn't get much from Selena but he really doesn't need anything anyway.

Neol

Going through my Revelations playthrough and I slowly lost my interest in pairing up all my units for there kids.

Guess I kinda burned myself out in pairing a good amount in Birthright and Conquest but honestly the fact they were just put in the game cause why not kinda irks me on the whole thing. Can't even justify using the ones I unlocked since they have no significance in the story.

yami4ct

Just got my first true promote in Conquest (Not counting Nyx to Dark Falcon as that's sort of a side thing). Turned Effie into a General. Man, 29 Def already. She already tanked like crazy, but she's going to be ridiculous if she keeps growing well.

champloo

So I just looked up the character growth rate table, and it seems Benny could make a even better General than Effie. But why is nobody talking about him?

Just got my first true promote in Conquest (Not counting Nyx to Dark Falcon as that's sort of a side thing). Turned Effie into a General. Man, 29 Def already. She already tanked like crazy, but she's going to be ridiculous if she keeps growing well.

Her ridiculous strength makes her doing more damage in one hit than most other units in two.

yami4ct

So I just looked at the character growth rate table, and it seems Benny could make a even better General than Effie. But why is nobody talking about him?

Benny's strength and speed are pretty low compared to Effie, so while he can purely tank better, Effie can tank well enough and hit back harder. Effie's personal ability is quite a bit better than Benny's as well.

So I just looked up the character growth rate table, and it seems Benny could make a even better General than Effie. But why is nobody talking about him?

Her ridiculous strength makes her doing more damage in one hit than most other units in two.
This is q trick question because generals are terrible, Effie should go Great Knight. No one talks about Benny because he joins relatively late in a terrible class with virtually no upsides.

champloo

Benny's strength and speed are pretty low compared to Effie, so while he can purely tank better, Effie can tank well enough and hit back harder. Effie's personal ability is quite a bit better than Benny's as well.

Benny's strength is above average though. Speed is kinda irrelevant once you get Wary Fighter. It's not like Effie can double hit or dodge a lot.

This is q trick question because generals are terrible, Effie should go Great Knight. No one talks about Benny because he joins relatively late in a terrible class with virtually no upsides.

I don't understand.. why is the General class considered bad? My Effie is doing great as a General..

On General Effie vs. Great Knight Effie:
As a Great Knight, she'd lose 2 HP, 3 Str, 2 Skl, 2 Lck, 2 Def, 2 Res and gain beast weakness in exchange for 4 Spd, +2 Mov, and sword access.

Effie's Spd is actually really good by tank standards. My luck made her actually cap Spd as a General and could double some things with a little effort (tonics, good pair-ups, etc.) if I chose to take off Wary Fighter. Offensively, she'd be even better as a Great Knight with that bonus Spd and the occasional Luna activation.

Defensively, she'd be a little weaker as a Great Knight in the General's good / okay match-ups (though still pretty good). In bad ones, she'd come out a bit better thanks to sword access nullifying axe/bow mastery bonuses on top of any triangle bonuses she'd gain for her own mastery level.

-

In spite of all that, I'd prefer her as a General than as a Great Knight. She won't ever double anyone at range, in which case you'd want as much Def / Res as you can get to take more hits while getting as much Str as you can to try to set up one-shots. Anyone you fail to one-shot either because they were too tough or because you missed will not get the chance to double you thanks to Wary Fighter.

One-shotting Ch. 25's Ninjas feels good. SHOULD'VE USED STEEL, ASSHOLES. HA!

Benny's strength is above average though. Speed is kinda irrelevant once you get Wary Fighter. It's not like Effie can double hit or dodge a lot.

I don't understand.. why is the General class considered bad? My Effie is doing great as a General..

If you need Wary Fighter to avoid getting doubled you are already shit, Effie should eventually have the speed to double slower enemies anyway.

Also, for a whopping 2 move, General has...1 HP, 1 strength, 1 skill, -3 speed, 1 luck, 2 defense, 1 resistance vs Great Knight, and doesn't even have a higher class growth in strength or defense, which means the strength/defense gap stays at that forever (until hitting caps, which for defense is never).

Effie hits her strength cap as a Great Knight on average by 20/16, that 1 strength probably isn't making a difference in OHKOs

Effie hits her strength cap as a Great Knight on average by 20/16, that 1 strength probably isn't making a difference in OHKOs

Right, was looking at 20/20 stats. >.> Still, when it comes to taking hits from pretty much the entirety of the left side of Ch. 25, that 2 Def over a 20/16 Great Knight looks pretty nice to me.

...But, thinking about it, since the General and Great Knight have almost identical growths and the only real differences are due to class bases and skills, it'd probably be best to just Heart Seal around. Great Knight to start off, then General when you meet Inevitable End because fucking Inevitable End. Also the southernmost room of Ch. 26.
Imagine if Gunter was a forced deployment and wanted revenge for Ch. 3. lol

demidar

Reached the Endgame as Norh and man I really wish I could save beforehand and not have to go through 2 chapters at once.

Time to go skill shopping.

So should I even bother with Nyx in Conquest?
Because unless her first few Support Convos are great I don't think I can take these voice lines. I love magic characters gameplay wise but

"CHILD"
"KID"
"I'M OLDER THAN YOU THINK"

Strictly speaking as a unit overall, she's not that great. Base stats are on par with a level 4 Mozu (while she's level 9), her growths aren't good aside from speed and magic and Leo does a better job as a mage overall. Even Dark Mage Odin would be a better choice due to him being much more sturdier IMO.

Lynx_7

I made my Effie a GK at first for Luna then reclassed her into a General. I used one of the boots on her and she never has trouble keeping up with the rest of the team, really. Specially since she usually works best for me paired up. Two different sets of weakenesses is just too crippling for a tank unit imo. Had I kept her as a GK I would've had a lot more trouble in the southern room of ch26 with all the beast killers and hammers around. Having to worry about only one weakness type for each character made that session a lot more manageable. Besides, bettween the wolf units and the mounted ones there are already way too many beast weaknesses in this game to worry about.

Ogodei

Do we have tips for cheesing the Conquest endgame? Bear in mind that my team doesn't use Nina or anyone else with Pass.

I'm on Normal Classic, so it's freaking me out that i'll have to do a whole chapter over again every time i lose someone in the second round (though i do have that revival staff, so i could get one do-over).

Do we have tips for cheesing the Conquest endgame? Bear in mind that my team doesn't use Nina or anyone else with Pass.

I'm on Normal Classic, so it's freaking me out that i'll have to do a whole chapter over again every time i lose someone in the second round (though i do have that revival staff, so i could get one do-over).

It doesn't really matter if someone dies so the only thing that matters is getting enough attackers to
takumi
before you get overwhelmed. Just charge down the middle throwing up dragon veins whenever possible.

Ogodei

It doesn't really matter if someone dies so the only thing that matters is getting enough attackers to
takumi
before you get overwhelmed. Just charge down the middle throwing up dragon veins whenever possible.

They count as retired and don't get their epilogue, i'm pretty sure.

Not that the epilogues are great, but in all the times i've played the different fire emblem games, i've only let someone stay dead once. It's not about the utility of keeping them alive, it's about the thing itself.

ChrisD

I paired her with Leo and let Leo do all of the fighting. I don't recommend using her for combat.

she's a magic nuke, makes a good partner with leo and a good mother for his son

she has some nice voice lines when she wins in a battle too

Strictly speaking as a unit overall, she's not that great. Base stats are on par with a level 4 Mozu (while she's level 9), her growths aren't good aside from speed and magic and Leo does a better job as a mage overall. Even Dark Mage Odin would be a better choice due to him being much more sturdier IMO.

Sounds like she's not grabbing any EXP then. She won a few battles when I first got her, but I don't want to be stuck with another Rinkah in the lategame. She went from being the MVP on the team to being dead-weight in the last six+ chapters... Would like to not repeat that.

Thanks for the replies.

On another note...

I just hope the famous/dreaded/loved/infamous/alloftheabove Chapter 10 is as nice to me.

Not the case! Nonono, not the case at all. The Chapter lives up to the hype. Excellent map design but it's going to be the end of me if my first hour+ try is anything to go by. Though I didn't quite plan for getting three more units, so in knowing that I'll do things differently in the next attempt.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just finished Ch.17 on Conquest/Hard/Cas yesterday.

Casual modeis so great, it really does change how you play the game for the better. I went up to Ch.10 on Classic mode, and like everyone else - I would restart if an important character died, or if two or more started dying.

When playing Casual, I just play through - no saves, and let it go as it goes. It's really fun because you can end up losing some of your good units early on - and now the challenge has become, "How am I going to finish this map with ONLY these characters I have left?". And it definitely makes you change the way you approach a map if you lost on of your best units mid way through the map. I've still failed a map because everyone dies, surprisingly a few times. But it's never the frustrating, "OH MY GOSH I JUST GOT CRITICALED ON TURN 30!" type of thing that happens to you on Classic and you have to restart the map that you just spend 2 hours playing.

The game flow it really nice on Casual because it forces you do adapt strategies on the fly when certain units get lost along the way. It's a lot of fun! I'm enjoying this a 100x more than Awakening, and I put 75~ hours into that game, I'm already more than halfway there with this game.

Now to decide if I want to try Luntaic/Cas or Hard/Classic with Birthright and then how I want to play Revelations.

Miker

Finally beat Birthright on hard/classic. I only played a handful of challenges in the early game before I decided to not touch them at all. I had all the prologues done by Ch. 20. Basically, I didn't grind, and it turns out that fairly underleveled for the last few chapters.

In the last chapter, my highest level character was Hana at 17, and everybody else hovered between 12-15. There was just no way I was making it through endgame unscathed, and I lost 4 units. I have absolutely zero desire to play through both chapters back to back for a no-death playthrough, and frankly I'm not happy with that decision on IS' part.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I'm just kinda doing all the paths at the same time - after a chapter or two I'll just jump to another path. Only thing is I keep having to raise my units up to par each time but otherwise it's going pretty great. I ended up changing difficulty on Conquest to casual just because I kept wasting time when one unit (*cough* Azura) dies near the end of the battle. Otherwise, sticking with Classic on the other two paths.

Anyone else playing all the paths together?

That sounds like a really fun way to play the game, I wish I had done that with Birthright/Conquest.

How are you feeling about Birthright on Hard/Classic vs Conquest on Hard/Casual? I mean, what makes Birthright "easier" on the actual maps? I know that you can grind on Birthright and the objectives are simply "Kill everyone" - but are the actual units you're up against tougher than the encounters you see on Conquest? Are you seeing that you have the same amount of deaths on a map on Birthright vs Conquest (without restarting)?

Brakke

Banned
Just finished #10 on Conquest. Man I'm having a blast. Playing Hard / Casual. I love how objective-based the Conquest maps have been. That one was especially good: the defense format gave me the opportunity to make a few tactical retreats, which wasn't really a thing that ever happened in Birthright.

I really think Casual is the way to go for Hard Conquest. The inability to grind would normally make Mosu / anyone who joins weak basically a liability: just standing around, waiting to get killed and force a reset. Or else just perma-benched. In Casual tho, I can get several turns of EXP into someone without it being *too* bad if they die. At the same time, you can't just willy-nilly sacrifice your people since the maps are tough and you need bodies. Plus, since I've never ever played a Fire Emblem game where I allowed deaths before, playing on Casual opens me up to make Noble Sacrifice decisions, where I put someone in a place they'll for sure die, but not without jamming up the enemy to buy me a turn that I need. It's opened up the tactical landscape for me.

Birthright (even on Hard) felt like Awakening to me: most of my fights, I was optimizing battles for EXP & Support growths, and barely ever hit a challenging fight. The maps were mostly puzzles: how can I arrange these people to maximize supports. In Conquest Hard, however, I'm focus much more carefully on the fight itself, while still considering Support & EXP distribution as Priority 2.

I suppose the difference was that on Birthright Hard Classic, if anybody ever died it was because I made a mistake (or chumped to a surprise Crit...). If I'd done it on Casual, I probably would've just played super sloppy, and that's boring. In Conquest Hard Casual, most of my "deaths" have resulted from intentional moves by me.

I was worried that I'd be too burned out to play Conquest right after Birthright, but so far it's just been delightful. (Although, the Conquest characters are absolute clowns. I'm pretty much skipping all dialogue anyway, so nbd.)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just finished #10 on Conquest. Man I'm having a blast. Playing Hard / Casual. I love how objective-based the Conquest maps have been. That one was especially good: the defense format gave me the opportunity to make a few tactical retreats, which wasn't really a thing that ever happened in Birthright.

I really think Casual is the way to go for Hard Conquest. The inability to grind would normally make Mosu / anyone who joins weak basically a liability: just standing around, waiting to get killed and force a reset. Or else just perma-benched. In Casual tho, I can get several turns of EXP into someone without it being *too* bad if they die. At the same time, you can't just willy-nilly sacrifice your people since the maps are tough and you need bodies. Plus, since I've never ever played a Fire Emblem game where I allowed deaths before, playing on Casual opens me up to make Noble Sacrifice decisions, where I put someone in a place they'll for sure die, but not without jamming up the enemy to buy me a turn that I need. It's opened up the tactical landscape for me.

I was worried that I'd be too burned out to play Conquest right after Birthright, but so far it's just been delightful. (Although, the Conquest characters are absolute clowns. I'm pretty much skipping all dialogue anyway, so nbd.)

I've been playing Conquest Hard/Casual and have had a similar experience. It's been a great way to play the game, it's an entirely fresh way to play FE that you don't get on Classic mode where it's "Oh I died, time to restart".

I'm willing to believe that Hard/Casual Conquest is a very enjoyable experience. It really only takes the edge off of a unit falling, but still comes with all of its own issues. Losing a unit early may not remove them from your army, but it can certainly make the map harder, and that unit loses out on exp, making them weaker for the next map. The lack of grinding still gives purpose to a unit dying early/mid map, though it makes the end of the map a non-issue. For example, Conquest 10 wouldn't have been nearly as difficult near the end if you could easily throw units around to be sacked as distractions. I actually think most maps become trivial at the end when you units can die and come back, since healers / squishies make excellent bait, they are most likely to live to the end and have the least usefulness at the very end of a fight.

But seriously, I'm strongly considering doing a hard/casual conquest run next time I go back. I don't see many units dying much the second time through, but it certainly makes the game go a bit faster, and feel less worrying.

captainpat

Still playing conquest. Was gonna go with the eugenics route with the kids but fuck it, I don't think there'll be enough experience points or gold to make them beastly, least not with dlc and using that would kinda ruin the point of playing on hard.

Moonlight

Banned
Still playing conquest. Was gonna go with the eugenics route with the kids but fuck it, I don't think there'll be enough experience points or gold to make them beastly, least not with dlc and using that would kinda ruin the point of playing on hard.
You get an Offspring Seal that automatically promotes and levels them up according to how far into the story you are (starting from Chapter 18).

NeonZ

You get an Offspring Seal that automatically promotes and levels them up according to how far into the story you are (starting from Chapter 18).

Yes, if you wait to recruit them right before chapter 27, they'll jump straight to level 18 promoted with offspring seals. I did grind supports through castle battles in order to unlock all of them, but I didn't need to grind the children at all.

I can't guarantee Midori's and Siegbert's paralogues since I finished them early, but all other paralogues available on Conquest are perfectly playable at end game (in fact, I thought Laslow's daughter's one was actually easier at end game, since the generic lancers somehow grew more than the enemies compared to doing it around chapter 19, the first chapter with offspring seals).

Balphon

Offspring seals and doing the actual paralogues end up giving enough experience. I'm at the end game and have been using an army of 16 with 5 child characters.

You may have to grind supports a little in my castle fights to get all of them, though.

I can't guarantee Midori's and Siegbert's paralogues since I finished them early, but all other paralogues available on Conquest are perfectly doable at end game (in fact, I thought Laslow's daughter's one was actually easier at end game, since the generic lancers somehow grew more than the enemies compared to doing it around chapter 19, the first chapter with offspring seals).

Ignatius's will be a giant headache if you do it late, and Siegbert's can ramp up quickly due to infinite reinforcements. Otherwise, I'd agree.

Top Bottom