• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Moonlight

Banned
I had really excellent luck with Sophie (Silas's daughter) in Birthright - access to lots of great skills - so I was always planning on using her.

Certainly anything Silas can do Sophie can do better?
I'd imagine that's the case - she certainly has a better Personal on paper, but I hardly used Silas after I got Peri so it's nothing I can say with experience.

Do generic units get names when you capture them? If so, that's awesome.

Also, what else, if anything, does luck affect besides enemy crit rates and the activation of a few skills?

Balphon

Open poll: who are the most effective units in Conquest?

Child units or otherwise.

This is my first FE with limited experience and in really concerned about wasting XP on subpar units. My gut says not to waste resources on Arthur beyond possibly his offspring, but I've been wrong before.

Corrin (and, by extension, Kana) can be good or bad depending on how you build him/her, and the kids' effectiveness will depend on who their parents are and when you get them, but I'd say something like:

S: Azura, Camilla, Effie, Keaton, Velouria, Xander
A: Elise, First Servant, Forrest, Leo, Mozu (Archer), Nina, Ophelia, Percy, Selena, Shigure, Sophie, Soleil
B: Beruka, Charlotte, Laslow, Niles, Odin (Samurai), Peri, Second Servant, Shura, Siegbert, Silas
C: Everyone else.

yami4ct

Corrin (and, by extension, Kana) can be good or bad depending on how you build him/her, and the kids' effectiveness will depend on who their parents are and when you get them, but I'd say something like:

S: Azura, Camilla, Effie, Keaton, Velouria, Xander
A: Elise, First Servant, Forrest, Leo, Mozu (Archer), Nina, Ophelia, Percy, Selena, Shigure, Sophie, Soleil
B: Beruka, Charlotte, Laslow, Niles, Odin (Samurai), Peri, Second Servant, Shura, Siegbert, Silas
C: Everyone else.

Keaton is that good? I'm not really using him because my Kaden didn't turn out all that useful in Birthright and I assumed they were similar.

Moonlight

Banned
Keaton is that good? I'm not really using him because my Kaden didn't turn out all that useful in Birthright and I assumed they were similar.
Keaton is amazing. Great bases, great growth rates, his stones offer him versatility as either a physical wall or a quick assassin, and Beastbane is amazing to have around for some later maps. He makes for a really great pair-up partner as well. Helps that his kid is phenomenal too.

Neol

Yea Keaton is just a great tank unit that hits hard back so you can just put him out there and he'll be fine similar to Xander.

Kaden is alright too but his low defense + lack of range attack makes it so you have to worry about his positioning every turn.

Balphon

His bases are great, his growths are great, his skills are great, and he gets strong, versatile bonuses from the beaststones. Velouria (his daughter) is equally good with a compatible mother (Camilla, Effie, Peri).

Their only downsides are their poor personal skills.

Dimmle

uh no this is Revelation, Hinoka is worse than Leo

oh well

never mind :v

Aw, man, now I don't know what to do. What makes Hinoka worse than Leo in Revelation?

Cut Camilla for being the worst character and keep Hinoka and Leo because they're the best royals on each side.

Don't worry, she's already in the garbage. She really does not hold up over the back half of Conquest. And I'm not into the whole sibling/violence fetish.

Neol

Aw, man, now I don't know what to do. What makes Hinoka worse than Leo in Revelation?

Don't worry, she's already in the garbage. She really does not hold up over the back half of Conquest. And I'm not into the whole sibling/violence fetish.

Comes to your party late so you have to work on her a bit and her HP is abysmally low. She's not bad though but the state she is given to you is annoying.

And Camillia a great unit throughout Conquest gameplay speaking.

Dimmle

Comes to your party late so you have to work on her a bit and her HP is abysmally low. She's not bad though but the state she is given to you is annoying.

And Camillia a great unit throughout Conquest gameplay speaking.

Huh. Well, my decision got harder.

I must have had bad rolls for her or great rolls for everyone else because Camilla was the only mediocre unit in my squad by endgame. Fragile, poor magic, and her strength and speed weren't especially exceptional compared to other units.

LordJim

Huh. Well, my decision got harder.

I must have had bad rolls for her or great rolls for everyone else because Camilla was the only mediocre unit in my squad by endgame. Fragile, poor magic, and her strength and speed weren't especially exceptional compared to other units.

She works much better as a wyvern lord. You just get the Malig Knight skills, and then make her a mobile tank with Rally Defense

How come people keep mentioning certain units being better or worse in Revelations? Do they get different stats? I've been trying to Google those differences and haven't had much luck.

Neol

How come people keep mentioning certain units being better or worse in Revelations? Do they get different stats? I've been trying to Google those differences and haven't had much luck.

Mostly has to do with there join times and how the compensation they get for it is pretty bad. When you get a lot of your units in later chapters the enemy is already at that point where there promoted and can absolutely slaughter them making it hard to raise them up to par with your other units.

Sure you can level them up through scouting and stuff but what's the point if there are other units that are already better like all the royals.

Balphon

Comes down to availability. Typically characters end up being worse because they join way later but don't have significantly better stats to compensate.

Odin is the ur-example since he joins 9 chapters later than in Conquest and has a whole 4 more magic to show for it. And he wasn't exactly setting records for stat gains in Conquest.

Neol

Surprisingly enough Hayato is a pretty great unit in Revelations unlike in Birthright where is just downright terrible.

I would say Kagerou and Silas are given to you in better states as well.

Availability, relative enemy strength compared to their join time, opportunity cost (you get 8 royals, of them only Hinoka and Elise are noticeably worse and Hinoka is great pair-up fodder for Xander and gives him exactly what he wants. A lot of units just have terrible bases, Hana does like 1 damage to enemies in her join chapter, Arthur and Effie join at like ~10 around the time people should have promoted or are just about to promote. The game really encourages solo'ing with Corrin until you get some of the other royals.

If you're cool with grinding you can salvage people but that's true of literally anyone in any Fire Emblem, which means that a discussion of good characters becomes pretty meaningless.

Yeaaaaah. Keaton has the most underwhelming Personal possible. :(
idk Selena's is pretty terrible

Cerium

Conquest on Hard is BULLSHIT.

I'm on Chapter 20 and I've come to the verge of clearing the map multiple times only to lose a character near the end to some random BULLSHIT that the numbers told me shouldn't even be possible.

BULLSHIT.

It's crossing the line into unfun territory.

spiritfox

Ugh I keep worrying that I'm screwing the children up
By marrying the wrong people. Also, why is Selena not the optimal pair for Tsubaki.

Moonlight

Banned
Conquest 25 seems like the breather to define all breathers. Literally backed out mid-mission to spend some of my remaining gold on seals because the XP farm was nuts. Seems really, really crazy to me that from turn 1 you're basically given a button that goes 'hey, do you wanna end the mission now?'.

idk Selena's is pretty terrible
I dunno, like, maybe there's like one case where her personal actually does something. Maybe. Keaton's straight up doesn't and gives you completely randomized odds of giving you a random resource that has zero impact on his utility as a unit and you're not even guaranteed that you'll even be able to use the damn thing he digs up. I'd much rather him giving you Vulneraries or something like that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Selena/Subaki is so canon that it hurts. Shame it's only on Rev.

I love how Selena mentions that Caeldori used to look like her father, but grew up to look like her grandmother. Then there was the segment with Selena realizing that Caeldori is a different person from Cordelia, and accepting her for who she is. So good.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Sooooo, what are good stats for a level 2 swordmaster? In Conquest, I have enough magic users, and my Nyx is great, so I don't want to replace her with Ophelia, and I really want a swordmaster... Sooo I'm thinking of making her a Swordmaster, but I'm not sure if her offspring seal to mage knight and heart seal to swordmaster is any good. Probably not... but I'd be happy with at least average.
So those of you playing Birthright, what strength, skill, and speed do decent Swordmasters have at level 2?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This RNG though.

Have Corrin block a path in chapter 22 to hold the reinforcements. Check hitrates on my turn, each is 27, both would need to hit to kill, and Corrin can't KO either enemy without a dragon fang proc (17%) so I should only take one attack due to the narrow corridor anyway.

Then the game says "lol planning."

First dude attacks. Hits. Corrin attacks once. Twice. Dragon fang. Well shit, now the other guy can attack. Second dude attacks. Hits. COME ON.

Top Bottom