• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

PK Gaming

:lol

Boy do I wish Corrin could support with the amiibo units

I actually really enjoy the MC default class in terms of gameplay design.

Yato for DPS, Dragonstone for a tank mode but not both at once. You can also use regular items for added utility. As long as you dont cheese and grind DLC for OP skills and whatnot, its a very thoughtful take on MCs after coming from the sheer OP 1-man army of Ike.

I feel you. Corrin's default classes are extremely satisfying to use. Ninja/Cavalier are better, and they certainly have their appeal, but they don't even come close to capturing the sheer joy of being able to tank enemies as a dragon, clean up fools with hilariously over the top sword strikes, and use Dragon Fang as God intended.

Funnest Lord in the series by far; none of the rest even compare.

Azuran

Banned

I see Robin is still salty about this:

5YnORNM.png

Stealing all girls that show interests in Chrom not going to get Maribelle back you backstabbing fiend.

Man Silas becomes pretty needy after you marry him. Kinda ruins the CorrinexSilas ship for me personally.

So who did people pair Corrine with in Conquest?

No one because I don't need her ruining more lives. She's going to die alone in that version.

King Fost

Neo Member
:lol

Boy do I wish Corrin could support with the amiibo units

I feel you. Corrin's default classes are extremely satisfying to use. Ninja/Cavalier are better, and they certainly have their appeal, but they don't even come close to capturing the sheer joy of being able to tank enemies as a dragon, clean up fools with hilariously over the top sword strikes, and use Dragon Fang as God intended.

Funnest Lord in the series by far; none of the rest even compare.

Dragonstones suck massive dick though. There's like almost no reason to ever use one.

PK Gaming

Dragonstones suck massive dick though. There's like almost no reason to ever use one.

They fall off hard towards the end, but they have solid early game utility. And you know what, i'm totally fine with using them as a crutch in the lategame. +9 Defense and +7 Resistance? Yeah, we take those.

Dragonstones are pretty useful. Its definately not good for damage, but for defense and tanking I can't see how anyone can say they suck. Defensive Corrin + Dragonstone basically lets Corrin tank everyone. He may not kill, but that makes him excellent for sharing exp with others. Hell, Corrin single handed tanks the Conquest endgame for me to win, and was taking < 5 damage from each enemy, plus he always had enough speed to not be doubled. Watching enemies rush my dragon only to get stopped cold and then consumed by my army was one of the most satisfying ways to clear a map. Its really all in how you want to play.

Also, playing Birthright and damn is Corrin x Mitama ever sweet. Sadly, not this playthrough as Wyvern Lord Oboro needs to happen. Revelations though...

They fall off hard towards the end, but they have solid early game utility. And you know what, i'm totally fine with using them as a crutch in the lategame. +9 Defense and +7 Resistance? Yeah, we take those.

Dragonstones are pretty useful. Its definately not good for damage, but for defense and tanking I can't see how anyone can say they suck. Defensive Corrin + Dragonstone basically lets Corrin tank everyone. He may not kill, but that makes him excellent for sharing exp with others. Hell, Corrin single handed tanks the Conquest endgame for me to win, and was taking < 5 damage from each enemy, plus he always had enough speed to not be doubled. Watching enemies rush my dragon only to get stopped cold and then consumed by my army was one of the most satisfying ways to clear a map. Its really all in how you want to play.

Also, playing Birthright and damn is Corrin x Mitama ever sweet. Sadly, not this playthrough as Wyvern Lord Oboro needs to happen. Revelations though...

This assumes you'd ever want to tank in the first place (especially in Conquest endgame of all places where you want to end it quickly).

Moonlight

Banned
Dragonstone is clutch as fuck in the early game of Conquest where you're short on versatile tanks. Later, yeah, it's pretty lame player phase wise.

Mitama is quite nice. My avatar married her in Birthright, not really caring if it wasn't the most dominant pairing that I was pleased to see Silas and Hinoka become in that playthrough.

what's the best 3 classes for Corrin?

I believe +Str Ninja, +Spd or +Mag Paladin and Swordmaster with anything really are considered the best.

I personally liked my +Skl Hero Corrin quite a bit. Sol and Dragon Fang procced extremely often and I was never hurting for Str or Spd. On Birthright you get Hoshidan Unity for even higher proc rates and on Conquest you get Nohrian Trust so you can even proc your spouse/pair-up bot's skills.

Evo X

Finally got around to picking this up yesterday.

My God, I forgot how addicting Fire Emblem is. Played for 6 and half hours and only stopped because I was about to pass out from sleep deprivation.

Been a while since a game has captured my attention like that.

For all the Dragonstone arguments I'd argue that Defenses are so much more important for Fire Emblem than offense. Offense is easy, when you're cleaning up on player phase you have tons of DPS options since you can personally choose effective weapons and triangle effectiveness; not to mention freedom in setting up offensive supports and stuff like Azura and player phase only skills. Much rarer and harder are guys who can hold a choke or pull in a mob safetly.

Stuff like Dragonstone and the huge tanking it gives to RES and DEF makes the MC a rare dual tank that can pull both magic and phys mobs, even if they are mixed. Stuff like Guard Naginata and Beaststones do the same. Even if the enemy spams 2 range attacks and your tanks cannot counter the ability to pull makes tanks, and Dragonstones, really useful. I'd rather have the stone than the Yato.

PK Gaming

This assumes you'd ever want to tank in the first place (especially in Conquest endgame of all places where you want to end it quickly).

Slow down Takumi, I already acknowledged its limitations. I don't really care about playing FE super efficiently, especially since the game can be beaten on most difficulties via any number of ways.

Dragonstones are decent in the early game for feeding kills to your teammates when you're overleveled and general tanking (what up Conquest ch. 10). Past that point they're a detriment, but I don't really care. They let you stomp the fuck out of enemies as a dragon and that's all I ever really need in a Fire Emblem game.

Azuran

Banned

Why do you keep bringing up optimal play when people are discussing anything that's not considered the "best"? The majority of people don't play like that. No one cares if Sniper + Heartseeker Galeforce *broken skill* is the best class for Corrin when people are discussing merits of his default classes.

It would have been cool if hidden revelations let you port over your awakening Owain, INigo, and Severa to use before they get transformed into the ones we have in fates/

Shinypogs

Last turn of chapter 10 on conquest. No one dead several 4 and 5 point lol ups. I move my mc forward to protect Jakob ( who i cant move due to accidentally using heal when i meant to partner him with someone ) becuase he might die but there's almost zero chance I will. I died ... I have never cursed rng like i did in that moment.

That said this is probably my favourite chapter so far in terms of how want to.approach to objective. Also camilla is a one woman wrecking crew.

Azuran

Banned
Even if you're not playing optimally, stuff like chapter 10 is actually harder if you play overly defensive.

Well everything is technically harder if you're not playing optimally, but it doesn't really matter much in this game especially with limited player vs player interaction. People can still beat Conquest by using scrub units and tactics if they know what you're doing. If someone wants to tank half the enemy army with Corrin in the last chapter of the game, then they should feel free to do so without someone telling them they're playing the game "wrong" by not doing it the best way.

Well everything is technically harder if you're not playing optimally, but it doesn't really matter much in this game especially with limited player vs player interaction. People can still beat Conquest by using scrub units and tactics if they know what you're doing. If someone wants to tank half the enemy army with Corrin in the last chapter of the game, then they should feel free to do so without someone telling them they're playing the game "wrong" by not doing it the best way.

And I never said that, so enough with the strawman.

besides, a lot of chapters are actually easier to play defensively even if it's not optimal to do so

Moonlight

Banned
Conquest 25. Was honestly disappointed that there weren't any reinforcement waves. I was so close to securing all the Berserker skills on Beruka in that map. At least Xander finished with all the Great Knight skills, and Effie did the same for General. Got so many units caught up, it was great. Hardest part of the map was deciding if I liked my levels, lol.

Calm before the storm from what I'm hearing.

Clov

Should I complete Revelations before playing the Hidden Truths DLC, or is it safe to start it partway into Revelations? Already completed both Conquest and Birthright.

Should I complete Revelations before playing the Hidden Truths DLC, or is it safe to start it partway into Revelations? Already completed both Conquest and Birthright.

It's better to play Hidden Truths after Revelations or after learning the major plot points in Revelations involving
Anankos, Valla's history, and the Avatar's heritage

.JayZii

Banned
Azama as a Great Master is absolutely savage. Maybe I just got lucky with stat growth.

Just remembered to try the free DLC Xenologue today. Those ninjas with lunge made it a pretty tense fight when they ping ponged my healer up into the thick of it. Slippery Sakura made it out, though. Does it continue to level up the enemies with you? Seems like a good level up zone if so.

Azama as a Great Master is absolutely savage. Maybe I just got lucky with stat growth.

Just remembered to try the free DLC Xenologue today. Those ninjas with lunge made it a pretty tense fight when they ping ponged my healer up into the thick of it. Slippery Sakura made it out, though. Does it continue to level up the enemies with you? Seems like a good level up zone if so.

Yeah, it levels up with you. I use it as a grinding spot in Birthright.

In chapter 23 of birthright, is it possible to
lose the two allies if they die on their own?

I'm not sure I understand the question. You don't recruit them, so there's not much disadvantage if they do.

KarmaCow

In chapter 23 of birthright, is it possible to
lose the two allies if they die on their own?

You can
only get them as allies temporarily for just that chapter. It's really not worth it since you don't even get to control them and don't even seem to move up if there are no enemies in range.

yami4ct

Missed the Energy Drop on Conquest Chapter 18, but I had a fantastic run and got 2 Strength level ups on Selena (who would likely get the ED anyway), so I don't think I will revert. I also have my battle bonus one as a backup anyway.

Now to grind supports in the Castle Battles and run the Paralogues. I have zero clue who I'm going to pair up at all. This should be fun.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The Fell Brand rewarded is unlimited, yeah. Have at it! Keep in mind that it's only useable on male units, so no female Grandmasters unfortunately.
Makes no sense. Means male Robin is canon, though.

Severa/Selena is totally Robin's daughter

PK Gaming

Makes no sense. Means male Robin is canon, though.

Severa/Selena is totally Robin's daughter

They gender locked it because they just stick a character's head onto Robin's model when you use it. Same deal with Ike and Lucina.

Fates goes out of its way to ensure that "Robin" is undefined in terms of canon.
Selena, Odin, and Laslow explicitly mention that the Robin (amiibo) isn't the same as the Robin they knew from their own game.
That way, everyone gets to "keep" who their Robin was from Awakening. Just like how everyone got to "keep" Eliwood's wife in FE6.

King Fost

Neo Member
For all the Dragonstone arguments I'd argue that Defenses are so much more important for Fire Emblem than offense. Offense is easy, when you're cleaning up on player phase you have tons of DPS options since you can personally choose effective weapons and triangle effectiveness; not to mention freedom in setting up offensive supports and stuff like Azura and player phase only skills. Much rarer and harder are guys who can hold a choke or pull in a mob safetly.

Stuff like Dragonstone and the huge tanking it gives to RES and DEF makes the MC a rare dual tank that can pull both magic and phys mobs, even if they are mixed. Stuff like Guard Naginata and Beaststones do the same. Even if the enemy spams 2 range attacks and your tanks cannot counter the ability to pull makes tanks, and Dragonstones, really useful. I'd rather have the stone than the Yato.

I'm not sure why people are obsessed with tanks. You don't need dedicated tanks in FE, you just need units who can take enough of a beating to not die in more than three or four hits. I've played Conquest Lunatic with the closest to a dedicated tank I've had being Xander and got away with it. There's never been a moment where I've gone "fuck, I sure could use a tank that can't double for shit here."

They gender locked it because they just stick a character's head onto Robin's model when you use it. Same deal with Ike and Lucina.

Fates goes out of its way to ensure that "Robin" is undefined in terms of canon.
Selena, Odin, and Laslow explicitly mention that the Robin (amiibo) isn't the same as the Robin they knew from their own game.
That way, everyone gets to "keep" who their Robin was from Awakening. Just like how everyone got to "keep" Eliwood's wife in FE6.

Let's be honest, here. With how garbage Roy is, he somehow managed to have a kid with Marcus.

Previously I didn't like the idea of Elibe remakes with inheritance mechanics but now I really want a version of FE6 where Marcus passes on his genes to Roy, you could have two good units in the earlygame instead of one!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure why people are obsessed with tanks. You don't need dedicated tanks in FE, you just need units who can take enough of a beating to not die in more than three or four hits. I've played Conquest Lunatic with the closest to a dedicated tank I've had being Xander and got away with it. There's never been a moment where I've gone "fuck, I sure could use a tank that can't double for shit here."

I'd say that's a "tank" by Conquest standards.

Almost quit on chapter 22 for the day but kept at it anyway. RNG was sooo bullshit, I restarted on the first or second turn so many times. Missing with 90, 95, 97 hitrates, getting hit by 20s and 30s repeatedly. It finally stopped acting up and I was able to get through the chapter.

Managed to start using Peri in the process. Picked her over Beruka to fill that last slot and I think I made a good choice, got her to Great Knight due to the crazy number of units on that chapter and her stats are looking really good so far (except skill, which I thinks she got just one point in somehow).

Neol

I just did Asugi's paralogue and a couple of Saizo's support. He's very different from Kaze and is kind of a dick towards people.

He is the hot tempered one while Kaze is the cool calm one.

Very reflective of there designs in color and in looks even though there twins.

Top Bottom