• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Benny is the best guy. I cant find many girls worthy of him.

Maybe Camilla. Hmmmm.
Do it

Camilla!Ignatius is a beast as a Great Knight

Do it

Camilla!Ignatius is a beast as a Great Knight

Even though I'm super deep in Revelation, I only have two married pairs. I cant decide on the rest so I'm having everyone have at least a C support together to see who has potential. I liked Camilla and Benny's C and B supports. Benny is just the best.

I paired him with Charlotte in Conquest which worked out great. Their support chain was really sweet. I might ship Saizo and Charlotte together as I enjoyed their C support.

I think I should work on ships this weekend and start getting some of the kids. I dont know if I'll have motivation to finish the paralogues after I beat the campaign but who knows.

Benny is the best guy. I cant find many girls worthy of him.

Maybe Camilla. Hmmmm.

In my conquest playthrough I goofed and had to pair him with elise because there was literally no one else left.

When others get married, they go off and have tea or some other non romantic endeavour I for the life me me cant remember.

Neol

Benny's a pretty sweet guy and all of his supports are great.

Shame his speed stat is so bad. Does pretty decent as a general but the low movement plus Effie just being better leaves him in the dust :/

Brakke

Banned
I just did the Xenologue on a lark today. Lmao did not realize some of the Fates characters were kids in Awakening?? How does that even work?

Esque7

Sorry if this has been answered already, but what is the total block size for all three paths? I'll be downloading in a week or two and might need to make room on my SD card.

Neol

Sorry if this has been answered already, but what is the total block size for all three paths? I'll be downloading in a week or two and might need to make room on my SD card.

Heard it was about 3gb which is is around 27,000 blocks?

Not 100% sure though but overall its pretty big.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Did anyone else realize that it's impossible to get Midori's "default" or "canon" hair color without making a female, green haired Avatar and pairing her up with Kaze?

fefates-icon-midoriko.jpg

Tingle

Did anyone else realize that it's impossible to get Midori's "default" or "canon" hair color without making a female, green haired Avatar and pairing her up with Kaze?

Most of the time, the kid's canon hair is just father's hair, and most weird hair colors like Kaze's green hair aren't repeated twice.

A few exceptions to that rule would be the Awakening knockoffs, whose canon hair colors are their Awakening hair colors.

Tingle

So there ARE unique mother supports? It felt like every single one I've seen so far were either generic or so ill-suited to the mother's personality that they felt generic.

No, they are all generic, and they all have subtle touches changed for each mother. Selena's are just a bit more changed than most for the Cordelia daughter.

Lynx_7

You know, for all the horror stories you guys have been spreading about Conquest's Hard/Classic Endgame, I thought it was surprisingly manageable. Beat it on my second try, not a single death. As long as you keep up a good pace between pressing forward while being careful not to leave any weak units vulnerable to enemy attacks it's actually not that hard. Xander and Keaton were gods as usual. Entrap, Enfeeble and Silence (which I still had one left) also helped. Oh yeah, a good meal and wasting a lot of money on tonics also help. It's not like you're gonna need it anymore anyway, so go crazy. Definetely not as hard as some of the previous chapters on the 19-26 stretch.

Shame I couldn't get Corrin and the boss' dialogue though.
I actually could since Corrin was close to him and Xander had weakened him just enough for Corrin to finish him off, but I thought you had to beat both Takumis. I didn't realize the replica also dies when the original dies, so I was saving Corrin for last and ended up killing Takumi with Selena. Uh, I guess that works? lol

Fantastic game overall and already a strong contender for my GOTY. Definitely my favorite 3DS game so far, weak story be damned.

Finished up Conquest and moved on to Birthright full-time. I was EXPECTING getting Sakura's retainers in Chapter 7, that made sense. But Saizo and Orochi AND Silas at the end of it was a bit much. I got used to using my small team of Kaze/Rinkah/Jacob/Azura/Sakura doing the DLC stuff.

It's super ironic I had to post that image right before this, but your post got on my nerves, sorry.

Really. There's nothing deep about playing to avoid the fail state. There is nothing deep or interesting about playing to predict enemy behaviors, testing to see how much you can get away with, rigging odds and taking risks. Maximizing roles that units were designed for and meticulously addressing flaws in your position and doing so in the knowledge that - yes, absolutely - there is a right way and a wrong way that you're going to handle this, and punishment is severe.

This is missing the point. Resetting isn't a 'tactical solution', it's a fail-state. We've been over this. You reset and you try again so you don't need to reset again. This is completely irrelevant to any of the depth of Classic mode.

...yeah? That's where the strategy of the game comes in. The important stakes. The careful turn to turn planning and the knowledge of when you need to act aggressively to remove threats (like a unit with a -slayer item or other weapon that could threaten your composition) and when you need to let enemies come to you. When you need to reposition to the next safest area. And do all of this while trying to maximize support ranks and distribute experience - something notably more difficult and riskier to accomplish in Casual by nature.

Seriously? Casual is explicitly a release valve. I just lost someone important in Casual, how can I recover from this? The answer is much simpler than you're suggesting. You keep playing. Units in Fire Emblem aren't so individually important (outside of Lunatic, and even then, you can afford some losses) that losing a single one would add moment to moment stakes even approaching 'well I basically game over whenever I accidentally leave Azura in range of an archer'.

It's absolutely ridiculous to contend that not only is Classic somehow not or less tactically rewarding, but that Casual not only moves you from more interesting decisions to interesting decisions, but high stress ones. I absolutely cannot buy that. Casual is purely meant to be an out. A way to shrug your shoulders and move on, and yes, adapt to the change in the flow of the map. Which is fine. I appreciate that it exists. But that's not 'high stress'. There is seriously nothing important at stake in Casual mode other than the map's victory condition. I believe that, yes, there's valid case for an interesting kind of dynamic coming out of unpredictable losses in your formation and trying to finish a map playing around that, but you're seriously saying that playing through a map - all the way through - knowing that you need to be on the ball long enough to either stabilize your situation or beat the map is comparable to 'well my healer is out for this mission, guess I'll just keep trucking' and is anywhere close to as complex a consideration to make overall.

Your whole argument dismisses the entire idea of a 'perfect' Classic run (what all Classic runs typically strive for, hence why they reset every time a unit dies) and conflates resetting with a host of completely unrelated 'tactical' decisions. You keep bringing up resetting like it's a 'tactical decision' and I don't know why. Resetting might as well just be a mechanical response. The 'tactics' and how you play come from avoiding the reset. This isn't hard to understand, I feel, and any claims that this somehow results in a very binary and static strategy are disingenuous at best and ignorant at worst.

How often does this happen, like... actually? Seriously, actually, a time where you can't react to reinforcements or move units out of sudden bad situations. You're still adapting to changing circumstances. It's not like Awakening where reinforcements came out of nowhere and just murked some guys because you weren't expecting it. You had a weak flank and now you need to rethink how you're going to get out of it. That's a changing scenario and you certainly don't need to soft reset as soon as that happens and go 'well I guess I won't put my units in that area of the map again'. One that you adapt to and revise your entire plan for. There are tons of personal anecdotes that I can offer regarding my experience in Conquest that can attest to this sort of on the fly improvisation. And times that something bad happened where I pulled through in spite of how bad it initially looked because I did everything I could do put myself in the best possible position when shit went south.

And like, FE has tons of mechanisms that force you to invest in the state of the game you leave behind when you reset the game. How many good level-ups did you get that run? For what characters you really like? How much good RNG for criticals or what have you? I got this optional objective this time because I got lucky, how lucky will I be next time? Don't even think about resetting or doing it over again. Think about how much you want to keep those things. That's what's on stake when you play Classic, when you play to make it to the end with everything intact.

Your problem feels like you constantly view Classic like, I don't know, a constant stream of interruption? Which is one way to see it, I guess, but anyone who plays Classic isn't going to tell you about starting a mission, explain what they were doing, say they fucked up and restarted, explain what they were doing again, restarted again, and keep doing that in order until they get to the run they finished the mission on. They'll just talk about the run they finished the mission on, and why that was memorable and at best they'll go 'wow I had to restart a lot for that'. Just look at this very thread. The run where, in the end, you overcame emergent problems and got through with everyone alive with the skin of their teeth, that's what people play Classic for. That's what they remember.

If you're close to the end of a map in Casual, and say, four units have gotten 5+ stat-up levels, but then you screw up and don't notice that the boss has a magical weapon as well as a physical one and blows up the wall you sent to poke them down on the start of the enemy turn. You go 'well, shit', but everything about the game state still remains. You weren't careful, but you didn't need to eat a redo for it. There's appeal in that, certainly, and there are times I wish I could if nothing else, somehow retain those level-ups and such across resets, but the knowledge I'll never be guaranteed that kind of luck again means I'm a ball of nerves and energy in a way that Casual just... inherently acts against. You can relax when you reach the end of a map in Casual. Why wouldn't you? You made it through the important bit. You just go on and it's not like you seriously damaged their place on the 'XP curve' anyways.

And if I'm going to be honest, I'm really unclear on how Casual meaningfully and equitably sees you make moment to moment tactical decisions as opposed to Classic. Your argument suggests that while Classic inherently only gives out 'one' solution to a map (it doesn't), Casual opens up this massive realm of possibility that I just can't understand. Sure, Casual tosses out the one cardinal rule, but it's not like anything else changed. Bows kill fliers, magic kills tanks, Pass is bullshit, etc. You still play the game, in the broad mechanical strokes, the same way. You just don't need to restart when you make a mistake or RNG screws up a vital turn for you. The most efficiently played run of a Casual mission shouldn't look radically different than one done in Classic. At it's most effective in terms of uniquely exploiting mechanics for a strategy, it allows you to send units into bad situations without much concern for the immediate consequences or moreso abuse the simplistic, kill on sight AI to bait enemies into awful positions.
Fantastic post.

I'd actually enjoy it if there were some specific maps were you were allowed to lose units due to the sheer impossible nature of the challenge in the story.

For example having an unbeatable enemy army zerg rushing you and have everyone take a stat hit because their exhausted from the last map but they'll always retreat.

Would make for a fun little map. And the goal would be not to get routed within a set amount of turns.

Man Silas becomes pretty needy after you marry him. Kinda ruins the CorrinexSilas ship for me personally.

So who did people pair Corrine with in Conquest?

NeonZ

I went with Xander. It's not a recommended pairing if you're annoyed by the divergence between My Castle interactions and the main story though.

Man Silas becomes pretty needy after you marry him. Kinda ruins the CorrinexSilas ship for me personally.

So who did people pair Corrine with in Conquest?

Keaton, having Corrin paired up with him makes the two a really powerful dual tank.

And because he's best husbando with best daughter

zelhawks37

Went with Hinoka on my birthright playthrough and plan on getting with
flora
on my conquest playthrough. Unsure on revelations yet...

I actually really enjoy the MC default class in terms of gameplay design.

Yato for DPS, Dragonstone for a tank mode but not both at once. You can also use regular items for added utility. As long as you dont cheese and grind DLC for OP skills and whatnot, its a very thoughtful take on MCs after coming from the sheer OP 1-man army of Ike.

I actually really enjoy the MC default class in terms of gameplay design.

Yato for DPS, Dragonstone for a tank mode but not both at once. You can also use regular items for added utility. As long as you dont cheese and grind DLC for OP skills and whatnot, its a very thoughtful take on MCs after coming from the sheer OP 1-man army of Ike.

except Corrin is better off reclassed anyway (and is better than Ike when you do)

Top Bottom