• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I'm not sure why people are obsessed with tanks. You don't need dedicated tanks in FE, you just need units who can take enough of a beating to not die in more than three or four hits. I've played Conquest Lunatic with the closest to a dedicated tank I've had being Xander and got away with it. There's never been a moment where I've gone "fuck, I sure could use a tank that can't double for shit here."

I'll agree that you never need a dedicated tank, but I don't see an obsession with them. No one is saying you need to have a tank, but some people are saying that they are useless which is just not true. Some play styles actually benefit from having a tank, while others don't. Don't need to have them, but don't need to not have them either. I mean, congrats for doing Conquest Lunatic without a traditional tank, but what does that have to do with the conversation? I would guess the intent is to support that you don't need tanks, but the point hasn't been that you need them as much as they can be nice to have and aren't useless.

Also, not all units need to be able to take hits. You always have varying levels of tankiness for units, ranging from wet paper to invincible. Some great attackers may not be able to take a hit, and it isn't a bad thing. It just means you have to play around that. If you don't want to, its cool, but it doesn't make a unit bad.

Just to add, I'd argue if your units are taking 4 hits in a turn, they might as well be a tank. For them to take that many hits you are likely purposefully letting them take that damage (or made a mistake).

Almost quit on chapter 22 for the day but kept at it anyway. RNG was sooo bullshit, I restarted on the first or second turn so many times. Missing with 90, 95, 97 hitrates, getting hit by 20s and 30s repeatedly. It finally stopped acting up and I was able to get through the chapter.

Managed to start using Peri in the process. Picked her over Beruka to fill that last slot and I think I made a good choice, got her to Great Knight due to the crazy number of units on that chapter and her stats are looking really good so far (except skill, which I thinks she got just one point in somehow).

Peri just has low skill. She isn't too elegant in the whole stabby thing as she is with cooking apparently. I think she has <50% growth in it, so it can easily become an issue. She is a great unit, but sadly ended up being a battlefield janitor due to bad skill rolls for me (clean up weak units).

Dimmle

He's USEFUL, but his growths are bad and he sucks up too much experience. Best way to use him is to tank with an iron sword and someone rescued, then finish enemies off for the coveted 5 star turns+experience.

Take his weapons and lure enemies toward units you actually like, then reap the reward.

There really isn't such a broken equivalent in modern FE.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Peri just has low skill. She isn't too elegant in the whole stabby thing as she is with cooking apparently. I think she has <50% growth in it, so it can easily become an issue. She is a great unit, but sadly ended up being a battlefield janitor due to bad skill rolls for me (clean up weak units).

40%, which isn't good, but it isn't really terrible. 1 point in 10 levels is unfortunate though, especially when I think she managed 4 defense with a 35% growth rate.

40%, which isn't good, but it isn't really terrible. 1 point in 10 levels is unfortunate though, especially when I think she managed 4 defense with a 35% growth rate.

Basically my experience with her. She pretty much always got defense and res, but almost never got skill, so her hit rates were bad. One nice thing is with all the money end game throws at you, you can totally forge her up a solid Iron Sword/Lance/Axe for pretty cheap (sales help), which helps a lot.

Edit: Great Knight Peri actually has 45% defense growth, which changes nothing, but worth keeping in mind. She should end up with more defense than skill, sadly the gap for her always feel so large.

Dimmle

Ah, yeah, I actually like Marcus in FE6. Don't see a reason to use him in FE7, though, since the game isn't nearly as hard.

Moonlight

Banned
I must have been really lucky because more than half my levels for Peri wound up netting skill. With that and Bloodthirst, she was never hurting in terms of critical/hit rates.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I must have been really lucky because more than half my levels for Peri wound up netting skill. With that and Bloodthirst, she was never hurting in terms of critical/hit rates.

Bloodthirst was a reason I went with her over Beruka. Plus she gets Lifetaker for the double benefit on kills. Galeforce or maybe Strengthtaker also seem like they could be fun on her, not planning on messing with any of that though.

... and say hi to the Big Sis Duet

CeNbJ6SWIAIm32x.jpg

(source)

Awesome!

I cant wait to finish Revelation so I can look for fan art without fear of spoilers.

Did anyone else realize that it's impossible to get Midori's "default" or "canon" hair color without making a female, green haired Avatar and pairing her up with Kaze?

fefates-icon-midoriko.jpg

Midori is cute. Kaze is too much of a player and theres so many good options for him.

On Birthright I did Kaze x Hana. Lets see who gets him this time.

In my conquest playthrough I goofed and had to pair him with elise because there was literally no one else left.

When others get married, they go off and have tea or some other non romantic endeavour I for the life me me cant remember.

Benny and Elise sound nice too, though she would probably drive him nuts.

LMAO. Amazing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 23 seems relatively easy, unless it's going to pull something some ways in. Surely it will, I doubt a few ballistas are the entire "gimmick" for the map.

The enemies at the gate are a pain, you have to rush them and they like to throw out crits. Three times now I've lost because one of those enemies got a timely 3-4% critical that seems impossible to account if you actually want to progress through the chapter.

Chapter 23 seems relatively easy, unless it's going to pull something some ways in. Surely it will, I doubt a few ballistas are the entire "gimmick" for the map.

The enemies at the gate are a pain, you have to rush them and they like to throw out crits. Three times now I've lost because one of those enemies got a timely 3-4% critical that seems impossible to account if you actually want to progress through the chapter.

Xander with Siegfried and any pairup faces 0% crit from everything on the map, as long as he doesn't get swarmed by Basara he can basically solo the whole thing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Xander with Siegfried and any pairup faces 0% crit from everything on the map, as long as he doesn't get swarmed by Basara he can basically solo the whole thing.

He definitely can't for me, not sure if you are assuming normal difficulty or that I've leveled him up more than I have. He can't even take out the 4 archers at the beginning of the map solo, and his hitrate is usually in the 60s against the Spear Masters resulting in a lot of misses.

He definitely can't for me, not sure if you are assuming normal difficulty or that I've leveled him up more than I have. He can't even take out the 4 archers at the beginning of the map solo, and his hitrate is usually in the 60s against the Spear Masters resulting in a lot of misses.

Charlotte pairup+tonics makes his offense ridiculous (I also had Dancing Blade which made his speed even higher, but on the flip side I didn't give him any speedwings so I'd say that cancels out), and the initial wave of enemies before Hinata can be handled by your whole team anyway.

champloo

I had to send in Effie and Keaton while everybody else waiting on the other side of the bridge. With +def pair-ups and rallied def, they could survive a couple of critical hits.

Then I decided to abuse the stairs and cheese those enemies on the wall, until one dude lunged my Keaton and blocked the stairs from my reach.

Shinypogs

Effie is my precious pink sledgehammer, unkillable and capable of OHKOing a good deal of enemies she encounters. Gods have mercy on an enemy if she happens to be beside Xander or Keaton, there is no escaping their combined fury. I feel kinda bad for her husband though, eventually I got tired of Arthur's crit the enemy with 2 health left but miss the bugger I need you to hit shenanigans and he got relegated to the role of being a stat boost for Effie 90% of the time.

I have high hopes for their son even if he is a right fashion disaster.

I've been stuck on one map in Conquest for days. I think it's Chapter 10? The one where you have to
defend the port for 11 turns

I can make it to around seven or eight turns (although I'm not counting) before the flyers become too overwhelming. They always end up one-hitting Elise or something because there's nowhere safe to put her short of pairing her with a stronger unit, which renders her valuable healing unusable.

Any tips? I'm making use of the ballistas and fire orbs, but it reaches a point where everyone is too spread out as a result.

I'm only playing on Hard, but am apparently garbage.

M.D.L

Neo Member
I've been stuck on one map in Conquest for days. I think it's Chapter 10? The one where you have to
defend the port for 11 turns

I can make it to around seven or eight turns (although I'm not counting) before the flyers become too overwhelming. They always end up one-hitting Elise or something because there's nowhere safe to put her short of pairing her with a stronger unit, which renders her valuable healing unusable.

Any tips? I'm making use of the ballistas and fire orbs, but it reached a point where everyone is too spread out as a result.
Same here, in the last two turns everyone will forward to the green spots lol

Same here, in the last two turns everyone will forward to the green spots lol

I am so perfectly efficient up until the turn I fail on, which is what's throwing me so much. I weaken the waves with the ballistas and orbs and finish them off with counter attacks from my units at choke points. Then the flyers come and I can't close everyone back in fast enough.

Anteo

The only thing that should be able to get to Elisse are Flyers and she has enough speed growth to not get double attacked.

What I did was:

1. Destroy the wall so corrin and a suport can go out and egage the enemy early. With help of the ballista and fire orb they can clear the area, take the item from the house, and go back to the wall. Effie should guard the other open spot on the wall. Abuse Elise ability to reduce damage recieved by nearby units. Abuse Azura so some units can act twice.

2. Someone needs to go clear the archers so they dont kill get to the ballista on the top right of the map. Remember to activate the marker for the danger zones so you can see who is in range of what enemy at all times. You may need to reposition units so they dont get focused down easlily by flyers. This is one of the most important parts of this stage. You only need one mage and one other unit on the left side until your reinforcements arrive. So most of your units should be waiting to kill some flyers on the middle side, making sure to block enemies from focusing down Azura or Elise

3. When your reinforcement arrive, send Camilla to clear the left side to deal with the warriors, those hit super hard so she her movility and defence perfect there. She will need support from the fire orb because they have insane hp. Beruka should go around clearing any Flyer that gets hit by the ballista,

4. You may or may not need to move Corrin out to deal with some Flyers that come paired before they get to your lines. You dont have to kill them both, but at least one, so when the other goes behind your lines you can kill it inmediatly

5. When the enemy activates the dragon vein everything will go south, and you need to change your strat. Since most enemies wont try to go through the wall anymore (because they can use the river instead) you can abandon this position and move Effie to the left side to help with the last push. Camilla instead should try to go to the right side to snipe some enemies. Be carefull with the archers!

6. Remember that you need to guard the green area, so if the enemy can reach it it will ignore your units. The last 2 turns there will be many units deployed that cant reach the green area before the stage ends because they are too far away, so dont even bother engaging, form a line of defence so they cant reach it and finish the map

Also, as a side note, since Awakening the exp recieved by healers have been doubled, meaning that by abusing their heals a bit they can level up pretty fast. Elise was my first unit to reach level 20 and promote! She also was one of my higherst level units at this point of the game so she could survive Flyers attack easily. Also, use Azura dance every turn even if your units wont take any other action.

The only thing that should be able to get to Elisse are Flyers and she has enough speed growth to not get double attacked.

What I did was:

1. Destroy the wall so corrin and a suport can go out and egage the enemy early. With help of the ballista and fire orb they can clear the area, take the item from the house, and go back to the wall. Effie should guard the other open spot on the wall. Abuse Ellise ability to reduce damage recieved by nearby units. Abuse Azura so some units can act twice.

2. Someone needs to go clear the archers so they dont kill get to the ballista on the top right of the map. Remember to activate the marker for the danger zones so you can see who is in range of what enemy at all times. You may need to reposition units so they dont get focused down easlily by flyers. This is one of the most important parts of this stage. You only need one mage and one other unit on the left side until your reinforcements arrive. So most of your units should be waiting to kill some flyers on the middle side, making sure to block enemies from focusing down Azura or Ellise

3. When your reinforcement arrive, send Camilla to clear the left side to deal with the warriors, those hit super hard so she her movility and defence perfect there. She will need support from the fire orb because they have insane hp. Beruka should go around clearing any Flyer that gets hit by the ballista,

4. You may or may not need to move Corrin out to deal with some Flyers that come paired before they get to your lines. You dont have to kill them both, but at least one, so when the other goes behind your lines you can kill it inmediatly

5. When the enemy activates the dragon vein everything will go south, and you need to change your strat. Since most enemies wont try to go through the wall anymore (because they can use the river instead) you can abandon this position and move Effie to the left side to help with the last push. Camilla instead should try to go to the right side to snipe some enemies. Be carefull with the archers!

6. Remember that you need to guard the green area, so if the enemy can reach it it will ignore your units. The last 2 turns there will be many units deployed that cant reach the green area before the stage ends because they are too far away, so dont even bother engaging, form a line of defence so they cant reach it and finish the map

This is all very good advice that I will try to employ my next attempt.

Part of my problem with Elise is that there is no safe place to position her near Effie on the bottom right. If I put her to the left of Effie, against the wall, ninjas kill her in one turn. If I put her above Effie, I can't put Jakob there, so I lose my ability to finish off enemies that Effie can't one-hit. Jakob is also a more efficient healer for Effie because he also heals himself.

What I really need is a healer for the other units, who are all in the thick of danger, and there's no place to position Elise safely.

Anteo

This is all very good advice that I will try to employ my next attempt.

Part of my problem with Elise is that there is no safe place to position her near Effie on the bottom right. If I put her to the left of Effie, against the wall, ninjas kill her in one turn. If I put her above Effie, I can't put Jakob there, so I lose my ability to finish off enemies that Effie can't one-hit. Jakob is also a more efficient healer for Effie because he also heals himself.

What I really need is a healer for the other units, who are all in the thick of danger, and there's no place to position Elise safely.

That's why you need to engange the ninjas early, so they cant mess with the Effie+Elise defensive position. Most of the time I had one Ninja to survive who would go and try to hit Niles because he was the only target avalible. Effie was dealing with 3 or more Warriors so the ninjas can even get to her. Azura dancing for Niles makes it so you can hit untis with the ballista twice per turn, which helps a lot. Azura can also dance for Elise so she can heal and get out.

You do need to have units nearby Effie to help clear the area when the Warriors use the skill that changes positions and when the flyers arrive. It doenst matter if Effie cant one hit them, they cant get past her anyways. The most important thing that most people forget: remember to buy Vulnerary and Concotions for your units so they dont rely on healers all the time. A couple of Concotions for Effie works wonders, she can just stay on position and wait for enemies to sucide on her lance.

I wasn't able to beat the mission until I dropped Odin and brought in Mozu, who I didn't plan to use, heartsealed into an Archer to handle the right ballista. At level 1 she would not be able to take any hits but she helped a lot with the right side fliers and weakening archers (I kept effie and Arthur on the upper right side, shifting them from dealing with archers to cleaning up right side fliers when they got close to the top.

Anteo

I wasn't able to beat the mission until I dropped Odin and brought in Mozu, who I didn't plan to use, heartsealed into an Archer to handle the right ballista. At level 1 she would not be able to take any hits but she helped a lot with the right side fliers and weakening archers (I kept effie and Arthur on the upper right side, shifting them from dealing with archers to cleaning up right side fliers when they got close to the top.

I was using Mozu before that, but she still was weak. For my last try I send her alone to deal with the archers. With some tonics I made her have 79% chances of killing either of the archers in one turn for both waves.
It was afwul (way too low accuracy!), but it gave me more units to work with vs the Flyers as blockers.

I was using Mozu before that, but she still was weak. For my last try I send her alone to deal with the archers. With some tonics I made her have 79% chances of killing either of the archers in one turn for both waves.
It was afwul (way too low accuracy!), but it gave me more units to work with vs the Flyers as blockers.

If you have Niles on the south Ballista, who do you send to the northeastern one?

Anteo

If you have Niles on the south Ballista, who do you send to the northeastern one?

I didnt use it. Most of the time you cant hit any units because Niles already covers the river with Azura dance anyways, you only need to hit flyers or ninjas and you can cover the house at the left side with either the orb or niles ballista to deal with the ninjas. Also that position got overrun pretty fast on the last push, even when I reposition Niles ahead of time to go there, I only got one or two hits before I had to abandon, and I could still made the same attacks from the south ballista

Just did Birthright 12. Can't say why, but my Corrin always seem to have just enough defense to take no damage with a wyvern rider pair-up from most enemies.
Totally walled Xander between +4 luck, dragon stone and pairup. Only activated pavase once before feeding him to Felicia. Also, beyond grinding your heart out, I assume there is no real way to beat Garon on that map, correct? The best I could do was take 23 damage and a 9% crit chance with my beefed up Corrin, which wasn't worth the chance.

I have to echo everyone saying Birthright is a snore after Conquest. Its been trivially easy, and all of my units feel super over leveled. Can someone tell me how balanced Revelations is between the two, because if it leans more towards Birthright I'll need to find some motivation first.

Anteo

Just did Birthright 12. Can't say why, but my Corrin always seem to have just enough defense to take no damage with a wyvern rider pair-up from most enemies.
Totally walled Xander between +4 luck, dragon stone and pairup. Only activated pavase once before feeding him to Felicia. Also, beyond grinding your heart out, I assume there is no real way to beat Garon on that map, correct? The best I could do was take 23 damage and a 9% crit chance with my beefed up Corrin, which wasn't worth the chance.

I have to echo everyone saying Birthright is a snore after Conquest. Its been trivially easy, and all of my units feel super over leveled. Can someone tell me how balanced Revelations is between the two, because if it leans more towards Birthright I'll need to find some motivation first.

From what I read. The units join with the worst starting level most of the time (Laslow can get 2x hit by units that can kill him in the first hit anyways). Balance is all over the place because they didnt adjust the starting level of the units

Lunar15

I rarely used the Northeast ballista: the main thing is to keep it from being used by the enemy.

In the last turn, I turtled up on the sieze points, I put my healers in the back row away from ranged attacks and paired up everyone else.

Anteo

I rarely used the Northeast ballista: the main thing is to keep it from being used by the enemy.

In the last turn, I turtled up on the sieze points, I put my healers in the back row away from ranged attacks and paired up everyone else.

At this time, I didnt know paied up units didnt get attacked by supports =/
It would have helped so much..

Renewed

IIRC

I had Effie posted up on the southern wall after I broke it to get the Dual Club.

I had Arthur (with an Iron Axe for Camilla to get the Dracoshield) paired up with Corrin across from Effie.

Jakob would run around and heal the two of them and provide support if they needed it.

I had Niles run interference on fliers.

Selena, Odin and Silas up near the northeast ballista with Speed/Defence tonics to make Selena double. Elise ran over to heal them after claiming the 10,000G. Nyx as a fire orb slave and Azura dancing whoever needed it. Beruka was picking off the weak club users on the northwest bridge.

I shifted to have Camilla above the house to hold a chokepoint against Hinata and kill him. Silas and Beruka up above at the bridge to block incoming enemies and Effie posted northeast to block incoming enemies since Camilla ORKO'd Oboro before. I tried using a Freeze but it missed so I had Niles, Selena and Corrin come help out. The enemy couldn't really do anything at that point.

zelhawks37

Just got to chapter 16 conquest and can conclude that azura is an idiot.
she refuses to tell corrin anything about going to this new land or why she danced because..... reasons. And you vanish if you talk about this new land!? Ugh i can see why people hate the story on this route.

Dimmle

Forrest looks too much like a girl for me to consider him to be male. I married Sakura to Leo and Forrest now has pink hair in addition to his pink clothes.

Forrest absolutely owns it.

He is one of the most attractive characters in this game (top 5 at least), but he's definitely 100% a dude.

embrace it
Forrest might be the most deft handling of a trans character I've seen in a Japanese video game.

Korigama

They gender locked it because they just stick a character's head onto Robin's model when you use it. Same deal with Ike and Lucina.

Fates goes out of its way to ensure that "Robin" is undefined in terms of canon.
Selena, Odin, and Laslow explicitly mention that the Robin (amiibo) isn't the same as the Robin they knew from their own game.
That way, everyone gets to "keep" who their Robin was from Awakening. Just like how everyone got to "keep" Eliwood's wife in FE6.
Hm, though I still don't have this game, and have no intention of acquiring any amiibos, I would say that the solution for this matter sounds satisfying.

ultra7k

Seriously can't decide which version to pick up first. I'm no slouch when it comes to SRPGS in general, but based on what I've read, Nohr seems the harder of the two campaigns?

For those that went Nohr>Hoshido did you find the transition too easy, or even boring?

Seriously can't decide which version to pick up first. I'm no slouch when it comes to SRPGS in general, but based on what I've read, Nohr seems the harder of the two campaigns?

For those that went Nohr>Hoshido did you find the transition too easy, or even boring?

I would go Birthright then Conquest then Revelations(if you have it). Nohr is the harder campaign and is more like a traditional FE game. I went from Conquest to Revelations. It's not boring for me, but Revelations is a cakewalk compared to Conquest.

Reset

I went Nohr->Hoshido and Birthright seems like a cakewalk compared to Conquest (I'm only on chapter 15 on Birthright though). Also some of the story stuff that is unexplained in Conquest is explained in Birthright, so it makes more sense if you care about the story to play it Birthright -> Conquest.

Conquest is the better game so far. It has the better maps, characters, and objectives. So if you end up only picking one game I'd recommend Conquest, but if you're going to pick up both then play Birthright first.

Let's be honest, here. With how garbage Roy is, he somehow managed to have a kid with Marcus.

Roy ends up being one of the best lords by the end of the game. He has the most broken weapon.

I played Conquest first and am currently working through birthright. I find myself absolutely needing to get all the kids and do all paralogues. That grind was a slog in conquest but is fun in birthright. Overall I'm enjoying birthright more.

Playing both on hard

Scipio

Roy ends up being one of the best lords by the end of the game. He has the most broken weapon.
With by the end of the game, you mean a couple of chapters, during which you already have leveled all your characters.

Roy is shit-tier for the biggest part of the game.

ciD_Vain

Chapter 19 Conquest...
What the hell. I didn't understand the map's gameplay mechanic of
illusions
. I ended up beating it after 4 attempts but that was bullshit lol.

Top Bottom