• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

For those wondering why Camilla is godlike, this is why (ninjas are too scared to fight because they know they'll get fucked up on the enemy phase)

CgdVHleWQAANevv.jpg

She makes chapter 17 her bitch, even on Lunatic. And the Dual Club lets her make the Weapon Triangle her bitch too. Just a really clutch character overall, goddamn.

This is really tempting me to replay Conquest again, solo the second half of the game with only a pair up of Keaton and F!Corrin.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
well i'm not going to try conquest 27+endgame for the 4th time so screw it

I'm on my 4th right now. The most frustrating thing is that I don't even find the contents of the chapters hard (especially 27, it's one of the easier chapters in the game). I'm just, yet again, getting fucked sideways by the RNG.

Most recent loss came from two characters with 85+ hitrates missing against the same enemy. That left me with too few characters to finish off the remaining enemies so someone got picked off.

And that comes after getting screwed by missing a 77 hit attack and then the enemy getting a 2% crit. And before that getting hit by 6 consecutive <50% hit attacks on enemy phase because who needs to dodge anything?

Blah, messed up, and now my battery is low. At least that one I don't feel as frustrated about because I positioned a character wrong and actually feel like it was my fault.

L95

Can the games older than awakening be gotten on the 3ds? If not what kind of prices am I looking at for gba cartridges if I can find them?

Unless you happen to have an Ambassador 3DS, no you can't get the GBA FEs on a 3DS. The two english ones are on the Wii U virtual console, but I assume you don't want to buy it there/have one?

The cartridge prices have gone up a lot last I checked, I used to be able to buy FE8 (The Sacred Stones) for like 12 USD. Amazon has a cartridge for 40 USD lol I don't actually know if Amazon is a good place to look for prices, though.

Shadow Dragon is still fairly cheap to get from what I can tell, though.

Shinypogs

Unless you happen to have an Ambassador 3DS, no you can't get the GBA FEs on a 3DS. The two english ones are on the Wii U virtual console, but I assume you don't want to buy it there/have one?

The cartridge prices have gone up a lot last I checked, I used to be able to buy FE8 (The Sacred Stones) for like 12 USD. Amazon has a cartridge for 40 USD lol I don't actually know if Amazon is a good place to look for prices, though.

Shadow Dragon is still fairly cheap to get from what I can tell, though.

I just got my 3ds a few weeks ago so no ambassador games for me and I'm not willing to purchase a wii u just for those games. The prices you quote ( even swapped to Canadian) don't look horrible as long as they don't rise too sharply over time since I'd only be picking up a game once every couple of months.

That said once I do get the games I'll probably actually use an emulator to play on my pc because my GBA gives me the worst hand cramps during long play sessions. It's still a solid piece of hardware but I can't imagine marathoning a set of chapters or even taking my time to slowly make the most out of just a couple without it resulting in some serious pain.

Ty for the help.

I've been slamming my head against Revelation CH. 15 for like the past 2 weeks and kept making a mistake in the last three enemies I fight before the boss. UGHHHH

Dawg

I consider myself a casual Fire Emblem player, I'm playing conquest on normal difficulty. Units get revived after every chapter.

And I'm still getting stomped every chapter. I knew Conquest would be the difficult one, but it seems I can't finish a single chapter without losing over half my units. And this is on normal difficulty. I can't even imagine how hard this must be on a harder difficulty with permadeath.

Maybe I'm missing something. I just feel like I can't grind to make my units stronger because I'm at chapter 13 and it has been chapter after chapter without sidequests. I'm usually pretty good at SRPGs but I don't know why I'm having such a struggle with this one. Awakening was a walk in the park compared to this. I almost never lost units in that one.

Anyone got any tips?

Marz

I consider myself a casual Fire Emblem player, I'm playing conquest on normal difficulty. Units get revived after every chapter.

And I'm still getting stomped every chapter. I knew Conquest would be the difficult one, but it seems I can't finish a single chapter without losing over half my units. And this is on normal difficulty. I can't even imagine how hard this must be on a harder difficulty with permadeath.

Maybe I'm missing something. I just feel like I can't grind to make my units stronger because I'm at chapter 13 and it has been chapter after chapter without sidequests. I'm usually pretty good at SRPGs but I don't know why I'm having such a struggle with this one. Awakening was a walk in the park compared to this. I almost never lost units in that one.

Anyone got any tips?

Take a more analytical approach to each map. Plan your strategy before you start the map, check enemy skills and ranges, make use of tonics and your mess hall, have your team properly equipped and paired up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Beat it without anything too dumb happening. Vengeance activated both times Takumi counterattacked, but Xander was able to take the hit and Corrin had dual guard ready. He dual guarded Corrin's second attack, but I was able to ferry Azura down to get another round in to finish him. If I had to kill both I doubt I'd have been able to.

Some of the maps were kind of gimmicky but for the most part I liked what Conquest had to offer. Shame about the RNG making me it's bitch, that really hurt the overall experience. I'd say Conquest is up there as one of my favorite English FE games, despite having less fun actually playing it than any other FE game.

PK Gaming

I'm pretty sure chapter 19 is the worst chapter in Conquest, and easily top 5 in the crappiest Fates chapters in general. On Lunatic, the map basically forces you to use Beast Killer Camilla (who is already overcentralized as hell) or Tank Corrin, because you can't really use anyone else (even Xander gets fucked up on this map free). I had Paladin!Corrin so I couldn't even lean on Corrin either! So it was basically Camilla fights while everyone hides in the corner.

I was doing okay but then

CghbC0fWQAApkLm.jpg

This FUCKER runs away from Camilla makes a beeline for one of my weaker units. He doesn't even decloak until he's ready to kill which was all sorts of bullshit. Poor Arthur never stood a chance. Anyway I was able to beat the map by just deploying the Royals + Corrin and was ready when that last coward of a unit decides runs away.

Fuuuck this map.

You do know Wyvern Lord Xander is basically immortal on that map right.

also since Beastbane effectiveness is only x2 Xander can still tank non-LoD foxes even as a paladin

PK Gaming

You do know Wyvern Lord Xander is basically immortal on that map right.

also since Beastbane effectiveness is only x2 Xander can still tank non-LoD foxes even as a paladin

Nah fuck that

I'm not going to waste a Heart Seal and give up Siegfried for a map that can be CC'd (Camilla Cleared)

And yeah I did use him to tank a few hits (at the split), but aside from that it was the Camilla Show&#8482;

Possibly the worst gameplay change in Conquest is that enemies don't attack if they do zero damage. I'm not sure anything in it frustrated me more aside from maybe the abundance of skills on everything.

NeonZ

Anyone got any tips?

Optional chapters open when you get S ranking supports. You can use Castle battles for support ranking grinding. Anyway, don't try to level up all your characters. Choose a group as big as the number of deployment slots you have (initially 10-12, later 16) and focus on them.

How to cheese Ch. 19:
Realize that Pass is not Lunge or Shove (Most neglected skill in the world. :c) and that there's no such thing as a 2-ranged beaststone. Make Elise in-fucking-vincible for one chapter in her life by surrounding her with 4 paired units. Have one of those units be a Lv. 5 Wyvern Lord. Use Rally Defense. Instant +7 Def (or +9 for male units). Add Tonics and Food and you're looking at +11/+13 Def.

I forget how much damage the foxes can do, but if that isn't enough, I don't know what is. Think I forgot to use Tonics+Food myself since I was just trying to get a feel for the map when the idea hit me. lol Required a lucky dodge because of that.

How to cheese Ch. 19:
Realize that Pass is not Lunge or Shove and that there's no such thing as a 2-ranged beaststone. Make Elise in-fucking-vincible for one chapter in her life by surrounding her with 4 paired units. Have one of those units be a Lv. 5 Wyvern Lord. Use Rally Defense. Instant +7 Def (or +9 for male units). Add Tonics and Food and you're looking at +11/+13 Def.

I forget how much damage the foxes can do, but if that isn't enough, I don't know what is. Think I forgot to use Tonics+Food myself since I was just trying to get a feel for the map when the idea hit me. lol
Add in a couple Beastkillers and hunting knives and you'll be good to go.

PK Gaming

How to cheese Ch. 19:
Realize that Pass is not Lunge or Shove (Most neglected skill in the world. :c) and that there's no such thing as a 2-ranged beaststone. Make Elise in-fucking-vincible for one chapter in her life by surrounding her with 4 paired units. Have one of those units be a Lv. 5 Wyvern Lord. Use Rally Defense. Instant +7 Def (or +9 for male units). Add Tonics and Food and you're looking at +11/+13 Def.

I forget how much damage the foxes can do, but if that isn't enough, I don't know what is. Think I forgot to use Tonics+Food myself since I was just trying to get a feel for the map when the idea hit me. lol Required a lucky dodge because of that.

Too much work!

I did make use out of her ability though. -3 from her personal skill + Jakob's -3 and Camilla's -1 made it easier to tank stuff.

Possibly the worst gameplay change in Conquest is that enemies don't attack if they do zero damage. I'm not sure anything in it frustrated me more aside from maybe the abundance of skills on everything.

Abundance of skills on everything kills 13 and 14 for me. In 4, 5, and 9 everyone had skills but usually just one or two. Enough to give them an extra utility or edge, but not to the point where literally every class feels homogenized and none of them feel unique anymore.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I'm playing Conquest with a male Cornin, this means that every male can pair up to S rank except for one male right? I'm not including the characters with no possible S ranks, like Gunter.

I'm trying to get all the Paralogue missions, my understanding is that one male will get left out... My choice is Odin.

Skills in 9 were awful too, just in the opposite direction of them being worthless outside of Paragon and a couple others. Low percentage proc rates combined with often low usefulness (my favorite terrible skill is Deadeye, like when am I ever going to need that) made them just awful unless it was Sol or something.

10 I wasn't a huge fan even though they were better just because a lot of them were still pretty worthless and while the prestige skills weren't, they were basically glorified crits.

I hope that 15 scales back the number of skills, makes them much more meaningful with larger and obvious effects combined with not locking them all to class and giving characters skills at base. Wrath and Vantage both really need to be consistent, Vantage needs to not proc (Fates is good about this) and Wrath needs to guarantee a crit. It's fine if it's like Thracia and you can't have them both at the same time, but please make skills reliable and useful.

champloo

So I'm playing Conquest with a male Cornin, this means that every male can pair up to S rank except for one male right? I'm not including the characters with no possible S ranks, like Gunter.

I'm trying to get all the Paralogue missions, my understanding is that one male will get left out... My choice is Odin.

But you will miss Ophelia and her paralogue if you leave out Odin.. even if you don't want Ophelia, her paralogue gives you some useful scrolls. I would choose Jakob.

Draxal

But you will miss Ophelia and her paralogue if you leave out Odin.. even if you don't want Ophelia, her paralogue gives you some useful scrolls. I would choose Jakob.

Jakob's probably the best one to bench, Forest's better than Dwyer, and Dwyer (Jakob's kid) has probably the worst voice in the game if that matters.

PK Gaming

Jakob's paralogue is amazing for EXP and comes with a free Physic, Mend and Bloom Festival.

That said, you don't have to worry about leaving a kid out because you likely won't be able to get all of the kids anyway.

PK Gaming

I don't understand, what does that mean?

You have a finite amount of opportunities to raise support ranks in Conquest, and it gets harder to use your non-leveled characters as the game progresses. I guess you could grind on the pre-awakening DLC, but that'll be difficult to do, since it scales as well.

Tingle

You have a finite amount of opportunities to raise support ranks in Conquest, and it gets harder to use your non-leveled characters as the game progresses. I guess you could grind on the pre-awakening DLC, but that'll be difficult to do, since it scales as well.

Everyone can use My Castle battles too, which is honestly much, much easier.

GSR

Also if you really want to get all the kids while playing as a male Corrin in Conquest, just marry
Flora
or one of the second-generation characters.

Oh right, I totally forgot. I think there are some my castles that are designed around that? Where the opposing army has no gear equipped.

You don't even have to find a dedicated one, just pick out a Hoshido castle, kill the other enemies, then keep hitting Lilith over and over again.

honestly the best kid to skip if you have to is probably benny's

you don't really get anything in the chapter and saves yourself from getting another benny

honestly the best kid to skip if you have to is probably benny's

you don't really get anything in the chapter and saves yourself from getting another benny
But Benny's kid is amazing, simply by having access to the General class tree, i.e. Luna and Wary Fighter. He needed very little babying to become another Effie for me.

His chapter does kinda blow though, as do a lot of the kids'.

Azuran

Banned
I'm assuming Conquest must have really lowered my expectations because I'm actually enjoying the story in Revelation. It's nothing groundbreaking but at least it doesn't insult my intelligence.

OH MY LORD. Kaze jusr activated Miraculous Save and saved Elise from certain doom! I had my fingers on the soft reset buttons ready to go! To think, I was about to take that off of him at one point.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming Conquest must have really lowered my expectations because I'm actually enjoying the story in Revelation. It's nothing groundbreaking but at least it doesn't insult my intelligence.

I gave up on it. I never even read the dialogue for the last few chapters.

Did it explain your units really dumb positioning in 27? I actually meant to do that one since I was wondering about that.

That probably applies to nearly every FE player here. There seem to be like 5-10 exceptions.

Draxal

Don't worry, Rev turns into a train wreck at the end.

That probably applies to nearly every FE player here. There seem to be like 5-10 exceptions.

Nah, there's more than that. More of the hardcore fans played the patched import version a while back so they aren't as active. And the others also kinda beat the game quickly upon American release. There's of course the Euros who haven't beaten the game yet.

Also if you really want to get all the kids while playing as a male Corrin in Conquest, just marry
Flora
or one of the second-generation characters.

There's also Anna, moonlight slack.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Fiiiiiiiinally got around to finish Conquest and I didn't find it as repulsive as everyone was making it out to be. The final boss fight was definitely better than Birthright even the the actual boss wasn't. Even though I married Elise this run, somehow I fell even more in love with Sakura; I dunno something about her finding her strength and will is compelling to me I guess. Onwards to Revelaitions.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finally made it to Chapter 27 in conquest but holy hell did they make it look hard as shit. Hopefully I don't die too much..

I found 26-endgame to be surprisingly easy on hard. 27 in particular felt like one of the easier chapters for the entire second half of the game since the entrap maidens are so dumb. I beat it 7 times without losing. Should have been "3," I only feel like two of my losses on endgame were actually my fault and not dumb RNG shenanigans.

Top Bottom