• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

yami4ct

Fire Emblem Conquest Endgame is a bit of a bastard, huh? I have a pretty consistent (if a bit cheesy) way of taking down Chapter 27, but I've only had one go at Endgame so far and I'm now dreading it.

I'll take this opportunity to once again point out that having 2 chapters in a row with no save is still bullshit. Terrible awful bullshit way of increasing difficulty. It's part of why I don't feel too bad cheesing these chapters. The game is basically cheesing me anyway. Only fair I make the most of the rules (With my dumb restrictions I still hold to like not buying skills or characters).

Fire Emblem Conquest Endgame is a bit of a bastard, huh? I have a pretty consistent (if a bit cheesy) way of taking down Chapter 27, but I've only had one go at Endgame so far and I'm now dreading it.

I'll take this opportunity to once again point out that having 2 chapters in a row with no save is still bullshit. Terrible awful bullshit way of increasing difficulty. It's part of why I don't feel too bad cheesing these chapters. The game is basically cheesing me anyway. Only fair I make the most of the rules (With my dumb restrictions I still hold to like not buying skills or characters).

Bump it down to Casual and create a ingame save immediately at the start?

Azuran

Banned
Meh, I'd consider it a net positive. Do you really want to subject any of the girls to someone with no boundaries and who appears to be allergic to consent?

If Peri can learn not to slaughter everyone in sight, then I'm sure Soleil can learn some self restraint when she S-ranks someone.

Draxal

Meh, I'd consider it a net positive. Do you really want to subject any of the girls to someone with no boundaries and who appears to be allergic to consent?

Yeah, I really hated her Ophelia support, and there's alot of fans of that support so what do I know.

Mcdohl

I am loving Revelations.

Yeah, it's easier than Conquest, but this time I feel ready to go after a perfect run (get as many kids as possible and do all paralogues, properly level everyone up, etc.)

I am mastering the hell out of this game, and I'm enjoying doing so.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am loving Revelations.

Yeah, it's easier than Conquest, but this time I feel ready to go after a perfect run (get as many kids as possible and do all paralogues, properly level everyone up, etc.)

I am mastering the hell out of this game, and I'm enjoying doing so.
Rev is the ultimate have your cake and eat it too game. I feel like it's weaker than either main game thematically but damn if it isn't satisfying to use every unit in the game. The C/B supports are amazing, too.

Reset

Beat all three versions, and Conquest was the most enjoyable one while Birthright was the worst one.

FE 7 > FE: PoR > FE: SS > FE:Awakening > FE: Conquest > FE:RD > FE:Revelations > FE:Birthright > FE:SD

I hope they don't bother with multiple versions anymore, since it was really scummy how they ended Conquest. Each game suffered from it, Conquest's story was embarrassingly dumb, Birthright's story and maps on the other hand were so forgettable and the only sibling from this side that had a personality was Takumi while everyone else was boring, and Revelations was just cluttered with all the units and somehow managed to make all your siblings seem uninteresting in the story.

Other then the S ranks, I'm not even going to bother with the rest of the supports. All in all, Fates was a disappointment and I somehow enjoyed it less than Awakening.

CazTGG

I said it once and i'll say it again: Revelation had so much potential in terms of its overall story with what it was trying to do i.e. deconstruct how the main characters being willing to accept enemies among their ranks and how bad an idea that can be, but it never delivers on that promise. Also, trying to pull a Duessel "you will live as a traitor as it's the best thing to do" where the character's motivation amounts to a fridging and the relationship to the main character is told to us in such an inorganic manner is just...no.

No is also the answer to the one-support-only characters. Who thought that was a good idea? Such a waste of potentially interesting character interactions...and maps...

EDIT: Since we're ranking the localized games, here's mine from best to worst:

Rekka no Ken
Fates: Conquest
Path of Radiance
Fates: Birthright
Awakening
The Sacred Stones
Fates: Revelation
Shadow Dragon
Radiant Dawn

So, I beat Conquest on Hard last night and began Revelations from the Branch of Fate.

It is... so easy. None of the enemies have any skills. They all have standard weapons. It's been an absolute cakewalk. Conquest on Hard often had me stuck on a map for a day or so as I tried and failed to clear the map without casualties. So far, I could have cleared every map with just Corrin.

At first I thought maybe I had accidentally set the difficulty to Normal, but the save file has two stars, which indicates hard. Right?

I've never played a game on Lunatic before because I didn't think I had to mettle. But does Revelations get harder? Is Revelations on Lunatic more like Conquest on Hard?

I have no interest in prancing through the campaign, especially coming off of the hgh tactical challenge of Conquest on Hard. Can anybody way in here?

Xenoflare

So, I beat Conquest on Hard last night and began Revelations from the Branch of Fate.

It is... so easy. None of the enemies have any skills. They all have standard weapons. It's been an absolute cakewalk. Conquest on Hard often had me stuck on a map for a day or so as I tried and failed to clear the map without casualties. So far, I could have cleared every map with just Corrin.

At first I thought maybe I had accidentally set the difficulty to Normal, but the save file has two stars, which indicates hard. Right?

I've never played a game on Lunatic before because I didn't think I had to mettle. But does Revelations get harder? Is Revelations on Lunatic more like Conquest on Hard?

I have no interest in prancing through the campaign, especially coming off of the hgh tactical challenge of Conquest on Hard. Can anybody way in here?

Conquest is the hardest game since enemies has punishing skills for being reckless.

Revelation is Birthright with gimmicky moving floor tiles that can be filer abused. The only chapter that gave me trouble is 16/17

Revelation encourages low-manning the most out of all three games for me on hard.

tebunker

Banned
So I just ordered Conquest. Was going to hold out to get and play Awakening first but Amazon was just too cheap so I couldn't pass it up.

Avoiding spoilers and having played both GBA FEs and the GCN and Wii one, is there anything else I need to be prepared for? I expect to like it, but are the other campaigns worth it? I know kind of getting ahead of myself but I will need to set aside some money for more Firem Emblem. Also, if I play Birthright is it better to bite the bullet and buy a second cart or just download it?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Ah man this was the exact reason I decided to buy Rev or Birthright. Conquest was excellent, it will likely be my GotY. I think its one of the best SRPG I've ever played... but it's disappointing to hear that Rev and Birthright lack the key element that I loved so much in Conquest, that is challenge.

I beat Conquest on Hard/Cas, I think I'll just replay it on Classic instead of buying Rev.

Xenoflare

So I just ordered Conquest. Was going to hold out to get and play Awakening first but Amazon was just too cheap so I couldn't pass it up.

Avoiding spoilers and having played both GBA FEs and the GCN and Wii one, is there anything else I need to be prepared for? I expect to like it, but are the other campaigns worth it? I know kind of getting ahead of myself but I will need to set aside some money for more Firem Emblem. Also, if I play Birthright is it better to bite the bullet and buy a second cart or just download it?

Download it via In game purchase, buying two carts will cause you to spend more money than you should plus you miss on path bonuses and a single all clear log file

Reset

I don't think Birthright is worth it. It's story was better than Conquest's, but that's no accomplishment. The game itself is pretty easy, and the characters in that game especially your siblings (Takumi is an exception) are some of the most dullest characters in the Fire Emblem series.
Just buy Conquest and then buy Revelations. Conquest doesn't feel like a full game (you'll know what I mean when you play it.) Also if you buy all three versions and play them back to back you might get burnt out of Fire Emblem.

It's cheaper to get Birthright digitally if you own Conquest already. So it's up to you, do you want a cheaper digital copy or a physical more expensive copy.

PK Gaming

Birthright is still worth playing. Especially if you liked in Awakening since it's a similar experience but better on nearly every front.

Azuran

Banned
Would you guys say that Revelations on Lunatic is more like Conquest on Hard? Should I give that a go, or will that be even harder than Conquest/Hard was?

Nothing is like Conquest on Hard because enemies on Birthright/Revelation don't have skills and weapons meant to screw you over at every turn. It's by far the hardest game in the series that has come to the west.

Lynx_7

Would you guys say that Revelations on Lunatic is more like Conquest on Hard? Should I give that a go, or will that be even harder than Conquest/Hard was?

I haven't played Revelations yet, but Lunatic Birthright has been a cakewalk compared to Hard Conquest at the same point in their campaigns. It's mostly due to the fact that the route relies on sheer numbers and reinforcements to overwhelm you instead of smart map design and skill/weapon usage. From what I've heard Rev is basically the same + a few gimmicks, so I can't imagine it being as challenging as Conquest Hard even on Lunatic either.

Jawmuncher

Gotta say I find it a bit odd that there is a open Bisexual character in the game yet they aren't able to be married to the same gender. Instead it's another character who has that option.

CazTGG

Gotta say I find it a bit odd that there is a open Bisexual character in the game yet they aren't able to be married to the same gender. Instead it's another character who has that option.

Fire Emblem Fates' marriage logic:

Incest: A-ok, even with your youngest siblings!
Azura is your cousin so even if you argue the "they're technically not related angle, Corrin and Azura are connected by blood.

Same-sex marriage/bi-sexual relationships: Fine, but no kids! Also Soleil, you need a man because the conversion therapy subtext in the Japanese version of Corrin's support got turned into text in the American version.

I am really curious to see how Europe handles the Soleil situation since it's not done by the same localization team.

NeonZ

Same-sex marriage/bi-sexual relationships: Fine, but no kids! Also Soleil, you need a man because the conversion therapy subtext in the Japanese version of Corrin's support got turned into text in the American version.

Technically, NOA seemed to act like changing most of Soleil's S supports to make them platonic was a "fix" to her character. Really, I think they should have gone the other way around - just tone down her whole sexual overtones in conversations with other girls. Her original supports make it clear that she never get into a serious relationship with any girls, so he attraction to them seems like just an anime character trope.

If they thought it was problematic, they should have dropped the trope, rather than stopping her from falling for most male characters, while still allowing her to fall in love with the male self insert. Their "solution" doesn't really make sense and just makes her character seem even odder.

PK Gaming

Let's not imply that the hot garbage that is JP Soleil is even remotely comparable to NA Soleil.

But I digress because Soleil's a poor character, regardless of version

yami4ct

My Conquest Classic Hard run is finished! Even with the dumbness that is the two chapter in a row gimmick at the end, I still absolutely adore that game. Such fun and fair difficult map design and a fantastic set of units to play with. Map gimmicks were really great and additive IMO and I loved how it tested me strategically.

I don't consider myself fantastic at FE, in fact I'm pretty not great despite playing all the english released ones on handheld, but Conquest was such a fun experience beginning to end that it's become my favorite game in the franchise. Which, since the franchise is my favorite strategy series, I guess makes it my favorite strategy game. So glad I stuck with a hard run instead of dropping it to normal like I originally planned.

Azuran

Banned
Technically, NOA seemed to act like changing most of Soleil's S supports to make them platonic was a "fix" to her character. Really, I think they should have gone the other way around - just tone down her whole sexual overtones in conversations with other girls. Her original supports make it clear that she never get into a serious relationship with any girls, so he attraction to them seems like just an anime character trope.

If they thought it was problematic, they should have dropped the trope, rather than stopping her from falling for most male characters, while still allowing her to fall in love with the male self insert. Their "solution" doesn't really make sense and just makes her character seem even odder.

After the whole Tamadochi controversy, there was no way NoA was completely dropping or toning down Soleil's attraction towards girls. Anime trope or not, people would have eaten them alive for turning a character that shows bisexual tendencies completely straight.

DontBlink

For fuck's sake, I can't deal with this game anymore. I've been on chapter 23 in Conquest for a week now. If I manage to survive the constant 10% chance-of-hitting criticals, I get killed with a Vengeance from the boss (because why not), all white constantly missing 70% hits.

Not too mention the story is just atrocious. Fire Emblem has been my favorite series since 2003, but this is just a total disappointment.

Mcdohl

For fuck's sake, I can't deal with this game anymore. I've been on chapter 23 in Conquest for a week now. If I manage to survive the constant 10% chance-of-hitting criticals, I get killed with a Vengeance from the boss (because why not), all white constantly missing 70% hits.

Not too mention the story is just atrocious. Fire Emblem has been my favorite series since 2003, but this is just a total disappointment.

Conquest is particularly bad in the story sense, and also Conquest is the hardest FE I've played.

But to be fair, I don't think FE's stories and dialogues are what makes the series fun. Gameplay and style is definitely where the series shines.

Try using Xander paired with whatever is his best support to win that chapter.

Or cheese it by downloading Anna's Gift DLC (free DLC) and choosing Ballistician item. Then ballista the boss from from a safe distance :)

DontBlink

Conquest is particularly bad in the story sense, and also Conquest is the hardest FE I've played.

But to be fair, I don't think FE's stories and dialogues are what makes the series fun. Gameplay and style is definitely where the series shines.

Try using Xander paired with whatever is his best support to win that chapter.

Or cheese it by downloading Anna's Gift DLC (free DLC) and choosing Ballistician item. Then ballista the boss from from a safe distance :)

Agree about the story, but in previous games it was at least interesting and serviceable, and not just
"I'm your king, go to this place and kill everyone because I said so".

I dropped Xander as soon as he joined. There's a good chance most of my units are under-leveled but I do fine, as long as I don't get killed thanks to some random, low-level RNG.

I might have to get the DLC like you mentioned, as long as it prevents me restarting that level for the tenth time.

Mcdohl

Agree about the story, but in previous games it was at least interesting and serviceable, and not just

I dropped Xander as soon as he joined. There's a good chance most of my units are under-leveled but I do fine, as long as I don't get killed thanks to some random, low-level RNG.

I might have to get the DLC like you mentioned, as long as it prevents me restarting that level for the tenth time.

Any reason you dropped Xander?

Dude is the juggernaut of Conquest.

At least he was for me.

At least he was for me.
I dropped him because there is no room for dudes in my army

Conquest is absolutely the worst story in fire emblem history. Birthright isnt great, but its at least serviceable

DontBlink

At least he was for me.

I pretty much always drop the already-promoted units that are introduced in the games too early (compared to the level of my other characters, with Camilla being an exception here).

I prefer to train them from earlier levels and then decide how I want to promote them.

Mcdohl

I pretty much always drop the already-promoted units that are introduced in the games too early (compared to the level of my other characters, with Camilla being an exception here).

I prefer to train them from earlier levels and then decide how I want to promote them.

I see.

That's a cool thing to do but at the same time you're making a hard game harder.

Not saying that is wrong to have the extra challenge, but keep in mind the game was designed to take into account people actually using units like Xander.

And not to scare you off, but it keeps getting harder D:

PK Gaming

I hate to be blunt, but if you're still struggling at this point then you need to re-evaluate and change your strategy. There's getting screwed via Vengeance bs, but Chapter 23 (on hard, presumably the mode you're playing on) isn't particularly difficult. Dropping Xander and neglecting pre-promoted units was probably your biggest mistake, since they're incredibly good in this game (and FE games in general)

If you want, you can post your team here and we can work through this.

Azuran

Banned

Conquest is hard enough as it is even with promoted units. Xander is kinda essential and a god snce he's able to perform roles no other units can such as a range attack with no drawbacks and high movement for a tank.

lol people getting critkilled by the boss in chapter 23

Xander is completely RNG-proof against him assuming he gained any HP/defense at all!

Top Bottom