• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

They have their own Ballista but they're locked to only using Bows. I don't think it's a very good class considering they can't even reach A rank on bows, have terrible movement and their skills can't be used outside that class. Also their skill can't even kill.

I rather just leave my bow users as Snipers or Bow Knights/Adventurers.

Ballistians can become the best debuffers as their cannons take on the properties of their equipped bow so you can debuff whole enemy formations with setsuna's bow

PBalfredo

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll give Ballistian a try since it sounds new and unique, plus I do have the Witch DLC so I can get the witch's mark later when Ophelia is ready

Edit: How do the DLC classes work exactly as far as leveling? Is it the same as using a Master Seal and the unit's level is considered to be +20? If I use Sighting Lens on a lvl 10 Outlaw Niles right now, is he considered to be promoted? Does this affect his level cap? Am I essentially losing potential Level-ups doing it now like I would with a Master Seal? The special classes are the one thing I just haven't been able to completely get my head around. Like how Jacob/Felicia come as promoted classes but aren't considered promoted, somehow?

Ballistians can become the best debuffers as their cannons take on the properties of their equipped bow so you can debuff whole enemy formations with setsuna's bow

Is it possible to get Setsuna's Bow in Conquest?

Azuran

Banned
At this point I'm absolutely convinced that defense-stance Ryoma is unbeatable. You can throw him at anything and he straight up doesn't die. Never. Not against anything. Sturdy lance users? Vantage, Astra, three to four crits in a row. If that doesn't kill you, tough luck because his shield is fully replenished and he still has one more attack to go, you poor sack! Magic users? Lol good luck trying to hit him. Axe users? LMAO don't even bother trying.

Chapter 25 consisted of him cleaning up an entire side of the map all by himself while literally everyone else combined their efforts on the other side. He did it better and faster. Then he got entraped and I got to watch him mow down over 15 units and reinforcements coming at him in a single turn. He survived with like a little less than half his HP intact and I didn't even bother healing him since Vengeance makes him even more broken. Chapter 26 was basically the same. He took care of
Laslow's
troops while everyone else focused on
Peri
. You don't even have to think before moving him, he is the "I win" button. And I'm on Lunatic so I can't even imagine how insane he must be on Normal.
Can't wait to see what his kill count is going to look like at the end.

Give him Lancebreaker and Death Blow and laugh for ages until the next game comes along.

That's actually pretty cool. I may give that a try on my next run.

Renewed

RIP in peace Rallyman Ren. CQ25 was his debut and his end. At least he got everyone into ORKO territory to wreck the Inevitable End fools and anything else.

Lynx_7

Birthright's endgame looked way too stupid for me to give it a "fair" try so I just pumped some boots on Corrin and Ryoma and called it a day. Took two turns to finish it.

This is what my top 5 killing machines look like. Battles fought/Victories:
Ryoma - 332/288
Corrin - 239/112
Kaze - 182/106
Saizo - 179/98
Jakob - 181/95
I'm a little disappointed Ryoma couldn't triple the second place but nevertheless it was just as one-sided as I expected. I had a file with my Conquest stats as well but I can't seem to find it. I do remember it being a lot more evenly balanced.

In the end I warmed up to Birthright even if the absurd enemy density and reinforcements galore never got any less annoying. Plot is nothing to writte home about but it got better as it went on and I was even invested by the time
they got to the capital
. Now, as much flack as Conquest gets for its story, I gotta say some scenes there made more of an impression on me than their Birthright counterparts.
I found Ryoma's death to be much more impactful than Xander's for example, even though I liked the latter as a character a bit more. His fight and the deaths involved felt unearned and Xander's motivations just weren't very convincing, which is yet again another problem related to Garon being a terrible villain for this sort of conflict to work coupled with subpar writting. The sibling fights in general just had a lot more weight to them in Conquest, which is most likely a result of their motivations to fight you being stronger than "b-but Garon... eeeeh you're right, forget about it, I'm on your side now"
. Or maybe it was because I was more invested on Conquest in general.
Still a very enjoyable game overall, I just hope future games take more cues from Conquest as far as enemy and map design are concerned.

Now I'll take a long break before I get to Revelations, hope it's not as disappointing as some people in this thread have suggested. But if IntSys ever goes with the multiple routes approach again, I do wish that they stick to only two instead of three. Both Conquest and Birthright would've benefitted from it.

Nohar

Birthright's difficulty on a Difficult/Classic run is kind of a yo-yo.
Chapter 12 was harder than expected, 13 was rather easy all things considered, 14's first turns are nightmarish (those Paladins can do a number on my units) and one has to be very careful with enemy waves (an accident can happen quite easily with enemies pairing up and doing much more damage than expected - I may even say that it is allowed to just use Ryoma to clear a wave and avoid a reset), and 15 is easy enough so far, altough one has to be wary of enemies' skills.

I really feel like my Corrin was RNG-screwed. She is as frail as Lyn in Rekka no Ken (and she doesn't have a Mani Katti in this game!), and has poor offensive stats (aside from her good speed - if I had known, I would probably have gave her Strenght or Defense has her boon). At least I know I need to be careful next time I choose Boon and Bane.
My Saizo is a beast, with all around great offensive and defensive stats. He is like Azura on steroids, and can actually tank a hit. He may very well be my best unit so far.

Birthright's difficulty on a Difficult/Classic run is kind of a yo-yo.
Chapter 12 was harder than expected, 13 was rather easy all things considered, 14's first turns are nightmarish (those Paladins can do a number on my units) and one has to be very careful with enemy waves (an accident can happen quite easily with enemies pairing up and doing much more damage than expected - I may even say that it is allowed to just use Ryoma to clear a wave and avoid a reset), and 15 is easy enough so far, altough one has to be wary of enemies' skills.

I really feel like my Corrin was RNG-screwed. She is as frail as Lyn in Rekka no Ken (and she doesn't have a Mani Katti in this game!), and has poor offensive stats (aside from her good speed - if I had known, I would probably have gave her Strenght or Defense has her boon). At least I know I need to be careful next time I choose Boon and Bane.
My Saizo is a beast, with all around great offensive and defensive stats. He is like Azura on steroids, and can actually tank a hit. He may very well be my best unit so far.

I am also playing Hard Classic. Chapter 14 is ok-ish. I did not use both Scarlet and Ryoma to beat that level, though I need to be careful about the placement of my units. The difficulty for the later chapters (at least up to Chapter 20, that's where I am) sharply decreases when you upgrade all your units with seals. I hope the difficulty will soon go up again so that I can enjoy that satisfaction from clearing a difficult level.

I did not use Saizo, so I cannot comment. The beast in my team is Corrin (boon is strength). His offensive and defensive stats are crazy high and can kill everything within one turn when equipping with the appropriate weapon. To my surprise, Felicia is another good unit. Although her defensive side is lacking, her power must not be underestimated when equipping with a flame shuriken. She literally turns into a monster with that weapon as the attack power depends on wielder's magic stats.

Nohar

Chapter 15 Hoshido completed, spoilers:

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I just lost a Ninja. In a way, I'm relieved I didn't level up him more. I did read something a long time ago about an unit which couldn't be saved unless with a high support rank, but I wasn't expecting him to be that unit. I always thought it was more something along the line of "X unit will turn traitor". Oh well. I'll be nicer to him in a new playthrough

I wonder which class I should pick for Rinkah. Oni doesn't seem so great, but the extra magic could actually make her deadly with the Thunder axe. Blacksmith, on the other hand, grants a huge +7 Skill upon promotion.
Oh well, screw it, I'll go with Oni, she will be tankier. I can still re-class later on.

As for my Saizo: Master Ninja LV 1, 33 HP, 21 Strenght (was capped at 19 before promotion), 8 Magic, 28 Skill, 24 Speed, 18 Luck, 17 Defense, 15 Resistance. RNG may have screwed my Corrin, but at least I have one hell of a Ninja in my party. #SaizoisthenewJafar

Azuran

Banned
Chapter 15 Hoshido completed, spoilers:

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I just lost a Ninja. In a way, I'm relieved I didn't level up him more. I did read something a long time ago about an unit which couldn't be saved unless with a high support rank, but I wasn't expecting him to be that unit. I always thought it was more something along the line of "X unit will turn traitor". Oh well. I'll be nicer to him in a new playthrough

I wonder which class I should pick for Rinkah. Oni doesn't seem so great, but the extra magic could actually make her deadly with the Thunder axe. Blacksmith, on the other hand, grants a huge +7 Skill upon promotion.
Oh well, screw it, I'll go with Oni, she will be tankier. I can still re-class later on.

As for my Saizo: Master Ninja LV 1, 33 HP, 21 Strenght (was capped at 19 before promotion), 8 Magic, 28 Skill, 24 Speed, 18 Luck, 17 Defense, 15 Resistance. RNG may have screwed my Corrin, but at least I have one hell of a Ninja in my party. #SaizoisthenewJafar

Oni Chieftain is better first since it gives you access to Death Blow which helps a bit in relieving some of her strength issues.

Mcdohl

At this point I'm absolutely convinced that defense-stance Ryoma is unbeatable. You can throw him at anything and he straight up doesn't die. Never. Not against anything. Sturdy lance users? Vantage, Astra, three to four crits in a row. If that doesn't kill you, tough luck because his shield is fully replenished and he still has one more attack to go, you poor sack! Magic users? Lol good luck trying to hit him. Axe users? LMAO don't even bother trying.

Yup, and if you pair him up with an S-bonded unit he's even more powerful.

He's the ultimate juggernaut in Revelations.

Question about Revelations: Do you find there is any real reason to use Hoshidan weapons in place of Nohrian ones? They generally sacrifice 1 Might in favor of a stat boost somewhere else. But when is it worth the sacrifice in hitting power?

Question about Revelations: Do you find there is any real reason to use Hoshidan weapons in place of Nohrian ones? They generally sacrifice 1 Might in favor of a stat boost somewhere else. But when is it worth the sacrifice in hitting power?

not really, clubs and naginatas are the only ones that sacrifice power, in fact yumis even outdamage bows

Shurikens offer +2 speed while losing 5 hit from daggers (so loldaggers)

Katanas give +1 speed, -1 def/res over swords

Naginatas give +1 def/res for 1 less mt compared to spears

Rods have the 1-2 range for lower base healing power compared to staves

Xenoflare

That effectively makes Steel Shurikens much better than Steel Dagger since it technically only loses 1 eff speed. Loldaggers

Heal>Bloom Festal

Sun Festal>>>>>>>>>>>>Mend

Physic>Wane Festal

For me

Azuran

Banned
Unlocking all the children is taking me forever because for some reason I decided to level up every first generation unit to 20/20+. It's time consuming as hell but it's nice to personally use every single character to see what they're like. I still have Dwyer (Mozu), Asugi (Orochi: RIP speed but the rest looks decent), Caeldori (Hinoka), Hisame (Hana), Mitama (Effie), and Ignatius (Beruka) to go.

Swords have cooler attack animations too. That has to be mentioned.

People are saying loldaggers because they're worse than shurikens, right? Not because they trounce them?

It sounds like shurikens give you +2 speed with five less accuracy. Which is probably the best trade off of all the Hoshidan weapons where there is a clear advantage.

Azuran

Banned
People are saying loldaggers because they're worse than shurikens, right? Not because they trounce them?

It sounds like shurikens give you +2 speed with five less accuracy. Which is probably the best trade off of all the Hoshidan weapons where there is a clear advantage.

Yeah shurikens are way better. The accuracy hit doesn't really matter when most main hidden weapon users have great skill to begin with.

Azuran

Banned
swordmasters dual wielding katanas are awesome though

They are. I wished that was the default animation for all katanas. The default one is so boring since they take like 5 seconds to ready their weapons and attack. The crit animation is top notch thought with the kick to the face.

Draxal

They are. I wished that was the default animation for all katanas. The default one is so boring since they take like 5 seconds to ready their weapons and attack. The crit animation is top notch thought with the kick to the face.

It was so much better when Ryoma was screaming Ougi with each kick to the face.

Shun

Do you want to reuse this OT for Europe release, me to make a new one, or do you want another member to make a new OT?

Shun

Since there's such a split in opinion, from here on out please be more mindful of openly discussing and spoiler tagging the game in the format I posted in the OP.

I haven't really been following the thread as it's been like 8 months since I finished the game, before new DLC released.

So I hope that you all keep the thread rule suggestions in mind as our European members begin to discuss the game as we have ~150+ pages to go before making a new OT.

Revelations run:

I got Kana and wow, is he disappointing. This is what I deserve though since my avatar, is a godlike Master of Arms and is most certainly gonna max out many of her stats before she hits 20. His father
Forrest
is an excellent Strategist and my best magic user. However this combination creates a Kana that doesn't particularly excel at anything so I've made him a Hoshido Noble and I'm going to pray to the RNG gods that they bless him like they blessed his mother and father.

I seem to be bad at creating offensive Kanas, in my Conquest run my Kana ended up a DEF tank, in Birthright a Speedy Resistance tank. Yet both of their siblings were really fucking good at basically everything.

Sölf

3 Days and our EU invasion of this Thread will commence.

Oh god finally. The wait is nearly over. ;____;

And I can finally sub this thread.

The Boo Camp DLC map is really annoying, and for me is a huge step down from the EXP boost DLC map in Awakening. In that one it was simple and straightforward, and you could just get in and out quickly. But they made some of the enemies in Boo Camp really aggressive, which makes it hard to grind up someone fragile like Nyx. I really don't get why they changed it, other than to make it more aggravating.

Dee Dee

I'll second this, since the discussion well beyond spoilers at this point so this thread is a minefield of it

I understand, but honestly someone will end up posting in the "wrong" OT sooner or later that way too.

I actually felt this thread has been very mindful of spoilers, even in the last two pages - granted, I don't personally consider "use this char, they are broken in endgame chapters" to be spoilers. But I am sure us EU plebs can profit off of the tactics talk in here.

Azuran

Banned
The Boo Camp DLC map is really annoying, and for me is a huge step down from the EXP boost DLC map in Awakening. In that one it was simple and straightforward, and you could just get in and out quickly. But they made some of the enemies in Boo Camp really aggressive, which makes it hard to grind up someone fragile like Nyx. I really don't get why they changed it, other than to make it more aggravating.

I found the Gold DLC to be way better for grinding. There's no Golden Faceless but promoted enemies still give a decent chunk of EXP. Plus you also make tons of cash at the same time so you kill two birds with one stone which is great.

Linkark07

Banned

Yes, in some ways it annoys that the enemies scale with your party, meaning guys with lower levels wont be able to do anything. In other ways, it was a blessing since many characters that could damage enemies got experience really fast.

Back on my Conquest lunatic, I tried to train Kaze but dude didn't even harm them. Luckily, my Dread Fighter Mozu was at like level 20, allowing her to damage the monsters. It was thanks to her that I could pass the casters on chapter 26.

I found the Gold DLC to be way better for grinding. There's no Golden Faceless but promoted enemies still give a decent chunk of EXP. Plus you also make tons of cash at the same time so you kill two birds with one stone which is great.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely try this. I'm trying to grind support mainly, but I'm playing Conquest so it's a lot harder. I'll gladly take the extra gold and exp though.

Yes, in some ways it annoys that the enemies scale with your party, meaning guys with lower levels wont be able to do anything. In other ways, it was a blessing since many characters that could damage enemies got experience really fast.

Back on my Conquest lunatic, I tried to train Kaze but dude didn't even harm them. Luckily, my Dread Fighter Mozu was at like level 20, allowing her to damage the monsters. It was thanks to her that I could pass the casters on chapter 26.

Oh yeah, it's great for the characters that already hit hard and can take a hit, but those aren't the only ones I want to grind. :/

Also I say don't make a new OT, Awakening had a new one at the time but they also happened to reach 19k posts by the time the European release came out.

We're nowhere close to that, of course.

Lynx_7

This game sold a lot more too, weird that there was less discussion.

Not only on GAF, but internet reception in general seems a lot more subdued compared to Awakening. Even the number of reviews on metacritic for each game seems extremely low for such an established franchise (31 reviews for Conquest, 28 for Birthright vs 72 for Awakening). User reception in general also looks less enthusiastic (I still see a large number of people recommending Awakening over Fates on "which 3DS games should I play" threads), though that is muddied by the lolcensorship crowd so it's hard to tell precisely. Not sure how it compares using other metrics such as youtube views.
If we didn't have official numbers showing just how successful Fates is I'd have assumed Awakening was a bigger hit.

Maybe it's because the novelty has worn off a little bit so people feel less compelled to discuss. Awakening also had the benefit of coming after a large drought since the west missed FE12.

Malrend

Probably also related to how Awakening was the supposed "last" Fire Emblem game, if it didn't sell well.

That kind of thing always get people talking.

Admittedly, I thought that the whole separate campaigns, separate games thing, would have kept fans talking even long after it released in the West, but once they were out, it just seems like we've accepted that part, with no real discussion about that specifically.

PK Gaming

tumblr_o7avthKCdv1qed2j9o1_540.png

tumblr_o7avthKCdv1qed2j9o2_540.png

source

NeonZ

Maybe they made grinding take longer since there's no post-game focused DLC? That'd also explain why there's only one Paragon scroll available right now. Technically, in Awakening, you didn't even need DLC for "post-game" level content, since some lvl 20 bonus team battles and also the bonus paralogues already went beyond the final chapter in enemy stats, although obviously the DLC took it a step further.

Fates so far has no content designed for post-game aside from player vs player, neither in the base game nor with the DLC.

Top Bottom