• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I will admit, I could be tempted to play a silly Lunatic/Phoenix game. Waves upon waves of units, pouring at the enemy until they win.

I'm curious, is it game over if you lose all your units on the same turn in Phoenix Mode? Or can you only lose through losing the map objective?

Phoenix can only be used in Normal mode.

KiraFA37

And I just did my first marriage in my Birthright campaign,
Corrin married Felicia and in 2 seconds they had sex, had a kid and now she's all grown up and in trouble thanks to the power of the Deaprealms. I now understand the critisism this part of the game has gotten. I mean I loved the future children part of Awakening but it was nicely integrated into the games story, here it just feels a bit tacked on due to popularity.

I never understood 3-13 archer. I mean in my files he doesnt do anything.

Anyways, I have come to love the low HP everyone has. It makes the game a bit harder.

Apparently you have to set the AI to Roam, which I never did lol. I made them all huddle in a corner to stop wasting my time.

Apparently you have to set the AI to Roam, which I never did lol. I made them all huddle in a corner to stop wasting my time.
I do settle it to Roam. I meant he doesn't get much kills before he dies. I suppose luck is needed?
I just leave everyone on Halt and used them as shields. Miaciah doesn't care for her people.

I do settle it to Roam. I meant he doesn't get much kills before he dies. I suppose luck is needed?
I just leave everyone on Halt and used them as shields. Miaciah doesn't care for her people.

He can sometimes critkill a bunch of laguz, which is hilarious.

Anyway low HP doesn't actually do much to curb anything in this game :p

Bastard never crits with me. Now I don't feel bad when I tell him to Halt.

I meant Fates low HP. I should learn to re-read before posting.

Yes I know, but in practice the "low HP" (not even that low after applying an HP tonic anyway) doesn't do anything, the few moments lategame Conquest curbs juggernauts it's via enemy skills/formations anyway so Corrin or whoever having 40 or 60 HP doesn't make much of a difference, especially when you can block every other incoming attack.

Rizzi

And I just did my first marriage in my Birthright campaign,
Corrin married Felicia and in 2 seconds they had sex, had a kid and now she's all grown up and in trouble thanks to the power of the Deaprealms. I now understand the critisism this part of the game has gotten. I mean I loved the future children part of Awakening but it was nicely integrated into the games story, here it just feels a bit tacked on due to popularity.
I could have been perfectly satisfied with none of that shit returning.

Yes I know, but in practice the "low HP" (not even that low after applying an HP tonic anyway) doesn't do anything, the few moments lategame Conquest curbs juggernauts it's via enemy skills/formations anyway so Corrin or whoever having 40 or 60 HP doesn't make much of a difference, especially when you can block every other incoming attack.

It works for people like me that don't use much skills, tonics, or defense stance. I know it's effects is minimal. It's mostly just my experience with always playing with base classes, not using stat items, and rushing enemy's.

I'm sure if I optimize properly, the game would be much easier. Because I don't, I find myself always low on HP. I guess I really meant, my playstyle enjoys the low HP. Nothing like risking a Azura attack and praying for a dodge.

Man, I actually want to replay Conquest.

Renewed

I'd rather do another Conquest Lunatic run than start Revelation tbh. I'm pretty sure I'm not feeling fatigue and I just enjoyed Conquest. I've been playing FE4/7/11 and whatnot before starting Revelation too. I guess I should just suck it up and get started.

Draxal

I'd rather do another Conquest Lunatic run than start Revelation tbh. I'm pretty sure I'm not feeling fatigue and I just enjoyed Conquest. I've been playing FE4/7/11 and whatnot before starting Revelation too. I guess I should just suck it up and get started.

The only reason to do Revelation is to have that perfect file, otherwise it's a bit of a mess.

PBalfredo

Conquest chapter 15 was neat,
especially since I could exploit the sympathetic nature of the replicas to heal them by having their counterparts use vulneries.

In Conquest chapter 16,
does the boss always appear in one spot or is it random which soldier is really him?

Conquest chapter 15 was neat,
especially since I could exploit the sympathetic nature of the replicas to heal them by having their counterparts use vulneries.

In Conquest chapter 16,
does the boss always appear in one spot or is it random which soldier is really him?

It's
random. The boss is always the last one you talk to.

Sölf

I looked at conquest chapter 24. I don't know if I want to play that. Especially with those dragon veins and what they will do.

redcrayon

Okay, with the Conquest campaign; Chapter 20 is bs.

Stupid wind funks with my strategy everytime
Using the dragon veins
doesn't just move the enemy, it also removes the wind streams for a turn. Sometimes it's worth triggering it not because you want to move the enemy (although pulling them out of formation is always fun) but to stop your own troops getting moved.

jRPG

Finding some of the Paralogues insanely tough, especially so compared to the main campaign. That one with Ryoma's son in the middle of the map who conveniently dies in one hit was really annoying. Hugely satisfying when I eventually cracked it though. I'm guessing it scales to Corrin's level? I should probably stop levelling Corrin and concentrate on building up some of my other units. In these Paralogues it feels like I only have four decent units, which is hugely annoying when certain maps split the party up. But in the main campaign I don't feel that at all (currently up to Chapter 23).

NeonZ

Finding some of the Paralogues insanely tough, especially so compared to the main campaign. That one with Ryoma's son in the middle of the map who conveniently dies in one hit was really annoying. Hugely satisfying when I eventually cracked it though. I'm guessing it scales to Corrin's level? I should probably stop levelling Corrin and concentrate on building up some of my other units. In these Paralogues it feels like I only have four decent units, which is hugely annoying when certain maps split the party up. But in the main campaign I don't feel that at all (currently up to Chapter 23).

Paralogues scale to the next chapter in the main campaign.

jRPG

Paralogues scale to the next chapter in the main campaign.

Oh really? I guess there's going to be a bit of a spike for the next chapter then, if the past couple of paralogues have been anything to go by. I still have around half of them unlock too. Worrying!

Gambit

Finished my Conquest yesterday!

Everyone alive and well.
Except for the people that have to die.

My first time in the last chapter I made one mistake and my tank was killed, so the enemies started flooding in and killed like five characters right there.

Unfortunately you cannot save beforehand, so I had to redo the King Garon chapter as well. Argh!

Anyway, made it the second time.

The Conquest route is rather difficult, but it was also pretty damn great, although the story is ... acceptable at best. For some reason, I also didn't get very attached to the characters. Somehow I prefer the Awakening guys! Only the Nohr nobles had any relevance at all.

After the hoops they jump through with the child characters, I hope they rethink that feature for the next game. The Deep Realms are a shit explanation, there's no other way to say it. Next time, either lose the kids or give me a time-jump, which could actually be really cool and give the kids some story relevance.

Anyway, I really want to tackle Hoshido right away (especially since I am so curious about Revelation) but have to take a break for work-reasons.

PS: I actually bought three eternal seals, which is quite difficult with Nohr's limited budget. But I couldn't stand the thought of Leo, Xander and Corrin not earning any more XP.

Spierek

Finished Birthright yesterday, really enjoyed the gameplay (sans for some difficulty spikes), but the story was absolute garbage. It was so terrible it retroactively made the rest of the game worse. The main plot was awful, and I couldn't really bond with any of the characters as well as in Awakening. Was the story also as bad in the original version, or is it (mostly) the localization team's fault?

Right now I'm thinking about skipping Conquest entirely (judging by opinions in this thread) and going straight into Revelations, or letting the game rest for a while and picking up Etrian Odyssey Untold.

Man, Revelations is crazy. I beat chapter 17, have most of the units, and I'm trying to get them paired up. This is going to take a looong time. I want to have as many Hoshido x Nohr pairings as possible.

McNum

Is there a way to dismiss a borrowed unit? I fought in someone else's castle and recruited their Azura, but I don't really need her anymore since I got the real thing now. Can I dismiss fake-Azura somehow?

On a "Hey wait a second" note... Is there anything stopping me from fielding both? Then sing the song that never ends until Azura is max level? I mean, I probably won't do that, but... is it even possible?

Claris

Is there a way to dismiss a borrowed unit? I fought in someone else's castle and recruited their Azura, but I don't really need her anymore since I got the real thing now. Can I dismiss fake-Azura somehow?
Press Start while in the castle (or talk to your helper), choose Unit Logbook, find their Azura, choose Dismiss.

On a "Hey wait a second" note... Is there anything stopping me from fielding both? Then sing the song that never ends until Azura is max level? I mean, I probably won't do that, but... is it even possible?
Only the original Azura can Sing.

Rizzi

When's the best time to change classes? I turned Mozu in to a dread fighter at level 10 'cause she wasn't really doing much as a villager. Did I fuck up?

McNum

Press Start while in the castle (or talk to your helper), choose Unit Logbook, find their Azura, choose Dismiss.
Thanks! She keeps eating our food and getting stat buffs, so I want that to go onto a real unit now.
Only the original Azura can Sing.
Figues. They are usually on top of infinite turn loops in these games, but I had to make sure. Recruiting an Azura suddenly seems pretty useless, to be honest.

When's the best time to change classes? I turned Mozu in to a dread fighter at level 10 'cause she wasn't really doing much as a villager. Did I fuck up?
You're in luck, Dread Fighter is a special case. It's a 40 level class, so changing to it early is not a problem.

Actually, let me break this down a bit.

- For units in classes that cap out at 20, use a Master Seal when they hit 20 the first time.
- Use a Heart Seal to change to a different set of classes, this can be done at any time as you KEEP your level when you do it. Friendship and Partner Seals work the same, but give you access to A+ or S ranked support characters' classes. (The avatar only needs an A rank.)
- Special items like Dread Scrolls, Ebon Wings and so on work like a Heart Seal, but the classes they change to are 40 level classes. They don't need a Master Seal at all.

The only question you have to ask when using a Dread Scroll is if you got the skills you wanted from the old class before you changed. If you did, then everything is fine.

(Jakob and Felicia cheat on this, by the way. They can also level to 40, even though they're in an advanced class already, but they gain EXP like they were in a base class.)

Malrend

So..
Why isn't Conquest called "Loopholes" ?

I thought people were exaggerating for effect when they were complaining about it, but hory sheet. Didn't have too many complaints about how the story progressed in Birthright, as it seemed to have a more natural flow, with a few unfortunate escalations.
Conquest is just silly, and I'm only at Chapter 12.

Azuran

Banned
Finished Birthright yesterday, really enjoyed the gameplay (sans for some difficulty spikes), but the story was absolute garbage. It was so terrible it retroactively made the rest of the game worse. The main plot was awful, and I couldn't really bond with any of the characters as well as in Awakening. Was the story also as bad in the original version, or is it (mostly) the localization team's fault?

Right now I'm thinking about skipping Conquest entirely (judging by opinions in this thread) and going straight into Revelations, or letting the game rest for a while and picking up Etrian Odyssey Untold.

It was all 100% Japan. We knew the story was going be bad since the Japanese release.

Why would you skip the best game for the worst one? Are you sure you have been reading the right opinions? If you're playing FE solely for the story, then I don't know what to tell you.

patapuf

First impressions (conquest):

I really like the ways they have expanded the gameplay possiblities. A lot of these changes would have been great in awakening. Digging the difficulty on hard.

The story is so dumb. Everyone calls me sister all the time. I can't hear it anymore. Please make the tactitian faceless again.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
First impressions (conquest):

I really like the ways they have expanded the gameplay possiblities. A lot of these changes would have been great in awakening. Digging the difficulty on hard.

The story is so dumb. Everyone calls me sister all the time. I can't hear it anymore. Please make the tactitian faceless again.
... Sisters are cool though.

woopWOOP

The English voice acting may be weak in general, but I really appreciate the enemy soldiers' agonizing death screams when you cut them down.

Draxal

Corrin would have been much more palatable to me if he/she didn't have 8 siblings, and each one of them has to have an obvious parallel, they made things a little too neat.

Spierek

Why would you skip the best game for the worst one? Are you sure you have been reading the right opinions? If you're playing FE solely for the story, then I don't know what to tell you.

IDK, maybe I've been reading the wrong opinions.

I'm not playing the game for the story, but I expected it to be at least passable. The plot in Fates actually makes my brain hurt.

Azuran

Banned
IDK, maybe I've been reading the wrong opinions.

I'm not playing the game for the story, but I expected it to be at least passable. The plot in Fates actually makes my brain hurt.

Just turn off your brain and ignore it completely. The gameplay in Conquest is so good that it's easily doable. Story is a non factor in Conquest when some of the chapters in that game are some of the best and most ingenious in the series.

Sölf

I just beat Conquest chapter 24. Wasn't as hard after I somehow survived that onslaught after ~8-10 turns. The boss being an avoiding beast was horrible enough, but thanks to Effie it wasn't that much of a problem.
God bless beast slayer.

Azuran

Banned
I mean...you don't have to have them fuck each other.

In fact I'm amused by the fact I haven't actually gotten around to doing that in my three playthroughs.

I haven't done it either yet but it always cracks me up that the option is there in the first place.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
The limited reclassing in this is tough. Trying to keep everyone's level down so when u reclass they get the skills but can't be too weak for the story quest.

McNum

The limited reclassing in this is tough. Trying to keep everyone's level down so when u reclass they get the skills but can't be too weak for the story quest.
Yeah, don't do that.

The rules for earning skills have change a tiny bit since Awakening. You now earn skills at the designated level or higher.

Take my Birthright avatar as an example. Straight up Nohr Prince to Hoshido Noble 2, then Heart Seal to Hero. On Hero 3 he got Good Fortune, on Hero 4 he got Strong Riposte, and on Hero 5 he got Sol. So I reclassed back to Hoshido Noble 5 and got Hoshidan Unity when he leveled to 6 in that.

As long as you have as many levels left as you want skills, you won't miss any.

WPS

Playing
Asugi
's paralogue.

Turns out, using a rescue stave to trap them in the starting room with you and keep them from ever reaching the back door is not the ingenious strategy I envisioned it being.

Edit: I got 1% critted. :(

Sölf

Funny, my first 3 were all with my siblings; they are just more important to me.

My first love was a combat butler. Who can say no to that? But now it's Camilla. Revelations will be an interesting choice. So many good characters. I also would love Arthur as a husbando or Oboro as a waifu.

McNum

Okay, I just started Conquest 10, and I already need help.

Exactly what am I defending? I'm colorblind and there's a lot of flashing squares. I'm pretty sure the four up top are green. Are there more than those? Or is it only those four I need to worry about?

I mean, I have to worry about the enemy and all that, since Takumi is there and his feet are glowing green, so he's going to do something nasty, I bet, but the game doesn't seem to label the squares as anything other than "Plain".

redcrayon

Just had some amusing dialogue after finishing Conquest. spoilers for the ending/end credits.

Xander says 'this war made no sense.' I agree with him.

Also, Azura was Corrin's wife in this play through. Their credit text says: 'Corrin worked alongside his spouse for the rest of his days', and beneath that 'Azura was never seen again'. Hmm!

Top Bottom