• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

ZeroX03

Banned
End of Birthright #19:
of course the old man is the Rainbow Sage. Boo. Fucking boo. They couldn't help doing that stupid twist that every game/movie/TV show does.

Xenoflare

End of Birthright #19:
of course the old man is the Rainbow Sage. Boo. Fucking boo. They couldn't help doing that stupid twist that every game/movie/TV show does.

If you have any expectations about Fate's story you are playing this game wrong

Sad thing about Fates is that it makes awakening looks better plot wise and it makes the gba games effing masterpieces

Nohar

If you have any expectations about Fate's story you are playing this game wrong

Sad thing about Fates is that it makes awakening looks better plot wise and it makes the gba games effing masterpieces

But Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword is a masterpiece!

redcrayon

End of Birthright #19:
Not as bad as the justification for the invasion of Hoshido in Conquest (spoilers for around chapter 15)

'If we start a war, get thousands killed, then get the Nohr king to sit on Hoshido's magic throne, we can banish the demon possessing him!'
Seriously, wouldn't just attacking King Garon do it? Surely Azura knows that Garon will take his demonic dragon form and we could fight it out to the same end result? Garon is already dead, they can't save him, Azura said so. So they start a war, tearing hundreds of families apart, killing thousands and knowing full well they will have to kill more of their own relatives that are actually alive, and for what? To free their father's spirit and so the story can travel east to Hoshido rather than the other way around, all while pretending to follow orders from a mad king? To stop the countries fighting? No matter how much the story presents Corrin as a good person, he settles on continent-wide warfare as the answer to his goal of finding peace when the only thing that needs to be removed is whatever is controlling Garon, which I'm not sure the surviving conquered Hoshidans are really going to agree was the best route afterwards with their country in ruins.

It's made especially dumb after playing Birthright to a similar end result, which ends with fighting Garon in his throne room, no magic Hoshido chair required. Conquest, with characters using any common sense, could end the same way after Azura stops being secretive and says what's going on, it's only a silly magic curse that stops her and Corrin telling everyone the truth. The need for there to be a huge war between nations and a quest-like military campaign towards the other side's throne room because it's FE is justified in the weakest possible way, especially when Leo, Camilla and Xander aren't supposed to be stupid and are actively working behind Garon's back to try and hinder the worst actions already. I'm loving the gameplay but the sheer stupidity required for the characters to take part in a full-scale invasion and kill thousands in the name of peace just to stealthily subdue the one major source that started the conflict by winning the war for it is just silly.
It would have been stronger if Hoshido had done something that could vaguely have been misinterpreted as being aggressive, but with it being blatant from the start that one ruler is now irredeemably evil and the other a kind, holy, peace-loving paragon of virtue, it's a bit heavy-handed.

luslanz

Neo Member
Not as bad as the justification for the invasion of Hoshido in Conquest (spoilers for around chapter 10)

'If we start a war, get thousands killed, then get the Nohr king to sit on Hoshido's magic throne, we can banish the demon possessing him!'
Seriously, wouldn't just attacking King Garon do it? Surely Azura knows that Garon will take his demonic dragon form and we could fight it out to the same end result? Garon is already dead, they can't save him, Azura said so. So they start a war, tearing hundreds of families apart and knowing full well they will have to kill more of their own relatives that are actually alive, and for what? So the story can travel east to Hoshido rather than the other way around? It's made especially dumb after playing Birthright which ends with fighting Garon in his throne room, no magic Hoshido chair required. Conquest, with characters using any common sense, could end the same way after Azura stops being secretive and says what's going on. The need for there to be a huge war is justified in the weakest possible way.
Problem is that in Birthright you have to defeat Garon's human form before he reveals himself as a monster. Corrin in Conquest couldn't do the same because most of his units are loyal to Garon, he'd have to go through his siblings and their retainers first.

redcrayon

Problem is that in Birthright you have to defeat Garon's human form before he reveals himself as a monster. Corrin in Conquest couldn't do the same because most of his units are loyal to Garon, he'd have to go through his siblings and their retainers first.
I understand that- it seems logical from his point of view, but its still starting a war to kill one person, with the only thing stopping him from getting the help he needs is Azura not bringing loads of those crystals that show the truth.

KiraFA37

So I'm currently at chapter 14 in Birthright is there any point in the game where they talk about children? Or does this only happen once I get somebody to S-rank?

Also is it me or is this game pretty sparse when explaining stuff? I have this fancy castle and the game doesn't really tell me much about it except that it is my base of operations.

redcrayon

So I'm currently at chapter 14 in Birthright is there any point in the game where they talk about children? Or does this only happen once I get somebody to S-rank?

Also is it me or is this game pretty sparse when explaining stuff? I have this fancy castle and the game doesn't really tell me much about it except that it is my base of operations.
Have two characters reach S-rank- it will happen automatically and a paralogue will appear on the map menu (might have to finish the next battle first). Quickest way to do it is to keep them paired up, you're in Birthright so soloing weak enemy challenge maps will help do it quickly.

A lot of the online systems are explained poorly, particularly gaining skills from enemy units after castle battles. Is there anything in particular that isn't clear? I've played through Birthright and most of Conquest, will try and help if I can.

KiraFA37

Have two characters reach S-rank- it will happen automatically and a paralogue will appear on the map menu (might have to finish the next battle first). Quickest way to do it is to keep them paired up, you're in Birthright so soloing weak enemy challenge maps will help do it quickly.

A lot of the online systems are explained poorly, particularly gaining skills from enemy units after castle battles. Is there anything in particular that isn't clear? I've played through Birthright and most of Conquest, will try and help if I can.

Ah thanks. Its just that in Awakening, which was my first FE-game, everything was explained pretty good and the children where nicely integrated in to the game. I'm just a bit surprised that Intelligent Systems/Nintendo dropped the ball on that in fates.

Only thing I don't quite get yet is prisoners, is this only for the fort part of the game or can I capture units from the story battles too?

Frost_Ace

I've been playing conquest on hard, really fun maps so far, but chapter 10 was a bitch.

Wanted to ask you guys some questions since I'm going through the game blind.

1) Are Castle buildings and battles important?
2) Is there a way to grind supports in Conquest? (I guess dlc)
3) I've read the children are tied to their fathers this time around. So If I make two characters gay I miss on them right?
4) What's the purpose of the capture command?
5) Is an A+ relationship equivalent to marriage or can I still S with someone else?

Thanks in advance.

Zareka

How do I get the birthday event to kick in? I'm wandering around my castle and nothing's happening. I set the date back on my 3DS to yesterday since I didn't get the chance to play, does it run off its own clock or something?

Edit: just read that changing the internal clock freezes time sensitive events for about a day. That's a pain in the ass.

NeonZ

Not as bad as the justification for the invasion of Hoshido in Conquest (spoilers for around chapter 15)

Seriously, wouldn't just attacking King Garon do it?

It's briefly mentioned
(once, right in the middle of the Hoshido invasion, rather than before) that they didn't want a Nohr civil war, which would happen if they turned against Garon's orders, since the army was split between Xander and Garon loyalists.

which I'm not sure the surviving conquered Hoshidans are really going to agree was the best route afterwards with their country in ruins.

Hoshido
isn't in ruins at the end of the Nohr route though, only the Hoshido army. Corrin goes out of her way to take the army through mountains and other empty places, basically avoiding city battles through the entire campaign. The only Hoshido civilians killed are the ones who end up protesting against Garon when they're about to take over the castle.

It would have been stronger if Hoshido had done something that could vaguely have been misinterpreted as being aggressive, but with it being blatant from the start that one ruler is now irredeemably evil and the other a kind, holy, peace-loving paragon of virtue, it's a bit heavy-handed.
]

The most annoying thing is that they did.
In the Nohr campaign, Hoshido is attacking Nohr from the start, even though Nohr's army retreated after getting Corrin and it wasn't actually Nohr that blew up Hoshido's capital. When you rescue homes/people in those chapters, they thank you for saving their lives. Hoshido's army is also shown letting bandits roam around areas controlled by them. And yet they manage to completely avoid mentioning all that when talking about the reasons for the Hoshido invasion.

Shin Kibayashi never wrote any story focused on army and politics before, and it seems like he carried the plot devices and concepts of a tighter more personal story to one focused on larger conflicts, without considering well the implications of that. Although, really, I'll never understand why NOA felt free to mess around with supports, and minor jokes in the main script but completely refused to rewrite the story relevant dialogue, even though the negative impressions about it were clear even before the localization.

I've been playing conquest on hard, really fun maps so far, but chapter 10 was a bitch.

Wanted to ask you guys some questions since I'm going through the game blind.

1) Are Castle buildings and battles important?

You should build and upgrade at least the obviously necessary ones, like weapon and item stores. The food place can be useful too. Each campaign also has two units that join based on certain buildings being built and fully upgraded.

2) Is there a way to grind supports in Conquest? (I guess dlc)
Battles with teams of other player's castles online don't give experience, but they do give support points. Your characters also can't die in those battles, unlike in the DLC.

3) I've read the children are tied to their fathers this time around. So If I make two characters gay I miss on them right?
Yes.

4) What's the purpose of the capture command?
If you build a prison/jail, and defeat an enemy with the Capture command, they'll be thrown there. You can use it to capture generics (only humans though, doesn't work with wolf/fox skins or invisible soldiers) and minor bosses that don't have story scenes after their defeat in gameplay (or aren't standard recruitable characters for the other side). For example, you could have gotten Haitaka, the boss from Conquest chapter 9. Most of them are the paralogue bosses though, with only two unique bosses capturable in Conquest's main story and one in Hoshido's. Afterwards attempt to talk with them or pay them to join your army. They keep the same stats and skills that they had as enemies upon joining. They don't have supports though, and don't come with their equipment, so it's not a useful way to get money.

5) Is an A+ relationship equivalent to marriage or can I still S with someone else?

Each unit can only have one A+ ranking and one S ranking. They don't overlap with each other, but both are unique. A+ ranking is basically just there for the Friendship seal mechanic (which allows one unit to take another's base class).

Azuran

Banned
Not as bad as the justification for the invasion of Hoshido in Conquest (spoilers for around chapter 10)

Most of this is for spoilers around Chapter 15 not 10 so you might want to edit that considering you might spoil some people that aren't there yet.

Sölf

God, I FINALLY beat conquest chapter 22. I think this took me over 4 hours. Except for a few nasty things regarding reinforcements, it's actually pretty managable. But holy fuck, I think I lost characters 2 or 3 times because the enemy decided to crit kill them with ~10% crit chance. God, this fucking map. I am so happy I beat that motherfucker.

Dee Dee

What the boring fuck Birthright chapter 20.
What the actual boring fuck.

Why did I even grind supports in challenges, if THIS was the actual chapter.
LOUSY.

Also, Azura, get your shit together and hurry the plot already.

PBalfredo

Speaking of grinding supports, I'm fine with working with a core group of units for battles in Conquest, but I hate missing out on the benched character's supports. Awakening/Birthright has spoiled me in that regard. Do battles in other people's My Castle count towards supports? Are there any DLC maps that are particularly good for grinding supports?

Any advice for conquest chapter 12? I tried this for probably more than 2 hours now and I can't do it. Its not even about loosing units, I just keep running aout of time.

PBalfredo

Any advice for conquest chapter 12? I tried this for probably more than 2 hours now and I can't do it. Its not even about loosing units, I just keep running aout of time.

The enemy won't break pots on their own, so you can control the flow of battle depending on which paths you open up by breaking pots. I have Niles as a Ballistician courtesy of Anna's gift, so I could soften up a group of enemies while I positioned a bunch of my units right outside the pot-wall, break a pot, then flood their position with my dudes who could easily one-shot the weakened enemy. This is very useful in defeating Saizo/Kagero and the ninjas in the midfield. Ballistician also helped soften up Ryoma so I could rush him.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Speaking of grinding supports, I'm fine with working with a core group of units for battles in Conquest, but I hate missing out on the benched character's supports. Awakening/Birthright has spoiled me in that regard. Do battles in other people's My Castle count towards supports? Are there any DLC maps that are particularly good for grinding supports?

Yes, my castle battles are by far the most efficient way to grind support. There are high level castles where people have their defenses with no weapons so you can wail on them all day and build support with multiple units before you seize and win.

Sölf

Recruited Leo's kid. Took me another 2-3 hours. I don't know how often I had to restart because of stupid shit even after I had my tactic down.

Oh, 20% hit? Of course the enemy hits and kills the character. Oh, of course the 7% crits of the enemy activates. No, your own 35%-50%+ crit won't activate. I think I had to restard 5 or 6 times just because of enemy crits. So happy I am done with this.

Malrend

Right.
Just finished the final chapter + Endgame of Birthright.

Bölverk is a monstrosity of a weapon, and I am not looking forward to its Conquest equivalent. 1-3 Range, seemingly no detriment to its damage output/accuracy whether at range or in melee.
Had to gang up on Garon, despite Blazing Yato being the only weapon that could really deal any significant damage to him, think that is the first time in Birthright that such has been necessary.

Generally I liked the enemy placement on the map, although it might have been a bit too easy to place the units best suited to deal with the individual enemies in spaces that they were bound to bump into each other.

For Endgame and dargun Garon, he had those four panels that he could visit to "blight" a piece of the map and heal himself. Well that didn't happen for whatever reason, so I strolled up to him with Takumi, Silas, and the Avatar, and just beat him silly, without much of an issue, which, given how much of a threat he seemed to be, was a bit of a disappointment.

All in all, apart from Gargun, the final chapters were pretty cool.

KiraFA37

Yes, my castle battles are by far the most efficient way to grind support. There are high level castles where people have their defenses with no weapons so you can wail on them all day and build support with multiple units before you seize and win.

Hmm? Could you expand more on this? I'm starting the relationship/kid grind and anything will help. I'm not trying to min-max my kids so I just want to have "nice" couples but I'm unsure whom to marry to whom, even with my avatar!
I'm considering Azura, Rinka or Hinoka

Also I just lost
Kaze in chapter 16 of Birthright, had I known before about the relationship check I would have gotten to keep him, I don't have an older save and I can't be bothered to throw away a 20 hour save... guess I know what to do in my next run.

Azuran

Banned
Hmm? Could you expand more on this? I'm starting the relationship/kid grind and anything will help. I'm not trying to min-max my kids so I just want to have "nice" couples but I'm unsure whom to marry to whom, even with my avatar!
I'm considering Azura, Rinka or Hinoka

Also I just lost
Kaze in chapter 16 of Birthright, had I known before about the relationship check I would have gotten to keep him, I don't have an older save and I can't be bothered to throw away a 20 hour save... guess I know what to do in my next run.

Visit low power rating or grinding castles using the Crystal Ball and challenge their avatar to a battle. Use the recently updated option if you're having trouble finding them.

Shinypogs

I have no idea why I keep checking the lottery shop when I am done with this run and there appears to be no post game dlc. Like ty for the freeze staff elise even if I will almost certainly never use it.

While I have plenty of idea for different runs and challenges I wanna do I would still have really appreciated dlc that let me take my teams on one more adventure. Dont get me wrong some of the dlc with the pre determined units looks stellar but those aren't "my guys".

NeonZ

When am I supposed to reclass or master seal a character? When they hit level 20?

You should use Master Seal at level 20 since it can only be used once, but reclassing with the other seals can be done at any time, depending on what you want to do with them, like skills or changing a character's growths or stats. They won't change your level, unlike a Master Seal.

You get skills from the new class line, from previous levels, at a rate of one per level after class changing. You learn skills at lvls 1 and 10 for base classes, and level 5 and 15 for promoted classes. Dancer and the special DLC classes have 40 levels with no promotion, but follow the same progression, with lvl1 promoted being the equivalent of lvl 21.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I took a long break after beating Birthright and finally started Lunatic Conquest. I have to say, while I still think Fates is the mechanically strongest game in the series, the absolutely vapid storyline is becoming harder and harder to bear. Things like
their justification for kids
is so insultingly stupid.

PBalfredo

Considering how much Fates clearly wants the royals to be good and useful in battle, how come the big sisters don't get any dope unique weapons like the bros do? I'd be one thing if just the big bros were successors to legendary weapons as well as the throne, but even the little bros get cool toys to play with. Not that they particularly need them, but unlike the little sisters who start off as pure healers, protecting Corrin by fucking up their enemies is very much in Camilla and Hinoka's job description.

GSR

I took a long break after beating Birthright and finally started Lunatic Conquest. I have to say, while I still think Fates is the mechanically strongest game in the series, the absolutely vapid storyline is becoming harder and harder to bear. Things like
their justification for kids
is so insultingly stupid.

started conquest

I'm sorry, but when it comes to vapid storylines, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

PK Gaming

Sölf;205657753 said:
The Nohr chapter 23 boss just killed Xander. This one try only took ~1 1/2 - 2 hours. >_>

Have you turned off animations + skipping enemy turns? Battles shouldn't take this long...

Xenoflare

Yeah... I heard Conquest is somehow worse on that front. How did this happen? Who let this happen?

I think IS/Nintendo planned the gameplay first, receives draft for one game, and then they sliced the story into 3 pieces realizing it's probably not gonna cut it and starts introducing plotholes as actual plot devices.

Then Fates happened

Considering how much Fates clearly wants the royals to be good and useful in battle, how come the big sisters don't get any dope unique weapons like the bros do? I'd be one thing if just the big bros were successors to legendary weapons as well as the throne, but even the little bros get cool toys to play with. Not that they particularly need them, but unlike the little sisters who start off as pure healers, protecting Corrin by fucking up their enemies is very much in Camilla and Hinoka's job description.

The sisters make up for it by getting the really good Personal Skills.

Oxx

I probably shouldn't have chosen to go down the DLC path considering I don't have wifi that works with my 3DS.

Still feels like they got screwed when Ryoma and Takumi both got insane offensive skills.
Ryoma's is great, Takumi's requires sticking an equal or higher level unit in the back which is not so great.

(Leo/Takumi got the short end of the stick on the royal personal skills lol)

Top Bottom