• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Azuran

Banned
Ryoma's is great, Takumi's requires sticking an equal or higher level unit in the back which is not so great.

(Leo/Takumi got the short end of the stick on the royal personal skills lol)

At least Takumi gets a nice +10 crit boost if you manage to awkwardly set it up which is certainly better than poor Leo which got something even worse than a poverty version.

redcrayon

Hmm? Could you expand more on this? I'm starting the relationship/kid grind and anything will help. I'm not trying to min-max my kids so I just want to have "nice" couples but I'm unsure whom to marry to whom, even with my avatar!
I'm considering Azura, Rinka or Hinoka
Isn't Hinoka your sister? :D

It negates any terrain effects and is the reason why Royal Royale is so easy with Taks
...what does Royal Royale have to do with anything? Ryoma and Elise are even easier there anyway.

Anyway in Birthright it's easy to get anyone to juggernaut status so bows are not particularly good seeing as they can't counter unlike other options, meanwhile in Revelation "negates terrain" is certainly NOT a substitute for actually flying.

Chapter 27 Revelation

Holy. Fuck. Why the fuck are these Berserkers and Generals now able to fucking hit my team and not for some baby damage either. My own fault for only having like 3 units actually able to do tank damage. Keep resetting and losing units to silly things. Forced into this stupid strat where I have to kill the bow knights and Adventurers first cause of vital fliers on my team. Twice first up and lost someone to Anakos cause I'm stupid.

Hard mode btw

Absolutely stellar music

KiraFA37

Isn't Hinoka your sister? :D

Yes but she has S support.. and possible major spoilers:
and I did some reading on the wiki after I spotted something particular in one of Orochi's supports and it turns it genetically speaking its all fine! Morally it might be a bit tougher to justify.

Yeah... I heard Conquest is somehow worse on that front. How did this happen? Who let this happen?

I'm only playing Birthright chapter 17 now but I felt the story felt weaker then Awakening and now your telling me Conquest is even worse? The base idea for the story sounded so promising though. How is Revelations in in comparison?

Sölf

Xander is also the one character who is basically immune to being one shot by the boss too.

Well, my Xander only has 40 HP at level... 12 or so. And he was two shot because he the boss activated Rend Heaven on his first attack and could double Xander. You know what the worst part is? I looked what happens afterwards. Selena instantly crit killed the boss with my next attack. >_>

Shinypogs

How is Revelations in in comparison?
80% bland but tolerable , 20% pure unredeemable nonsense. It had so much potential and it feels the almost like it's gonna be a case of " so bad it's good" and then it goes off the rails in a spectacular way. That said I liked rev better than birthright and some units I don't care for in birthright actually get more enjoyable in supports with the nohr characters and vice versa.

I find it weird that a lot of the dlc has better writing than the main campaigns. Is this also true for awakening?

Xenoflare

Sölf;205689317 said:
Well, my Xander only has 40 HP at level... 12 or so. And he was two shot because he the boss activated Rend Heaven on his first attack and could double Xander. You know what the worst part is? I looked what happens afterwards. Selena instantly crit killed the boss with my next attack. >_>

That means your Xander only proc-ed 2HP growth with a rate of 55 percent with 8 level ups

I can sympathize, my second Conquest playthrough Silas and effing Elise are HP blessed and that's it

KiraFA37

I find it weird that a lot of the dlc has better writing than the main campaigns. Is this also true for awakening?

From what I can recall from awakening is that overall it was criticized for its simpler story with regards to previous entries but still quite good with the only "real" plothole being the sudden appearence of the
Conquerer
. I found the story and characters quite enjoyable in the base game on which the DLC expanded quite a bit with the
story of the future kids in the doomed future
. I thinks its overall more cohesive with regards to the Fates storyline as far as I'm hearing.

Tyrus

Banned
So got a few guys on Level 20 to promote, so it's that time again to obsess over which class is best. Any recommendations for Corin, Saizo and Kagero in particular?

And how about who to use the Dread Fighter scroll on? Is it OP? (Hard/Classic mode on Birthright at the moment).

redcrayon

Just out of interest, is this the first FE game with male Pegasus/falcon Knights? I can't remember others, but I could be wrong.

I really like the new classes in this, like Kinshi Knight, Ninja and Maid. There are so many basic and advanced classes now that it makes enemy armies a lot more interesting in terms of variety, and entire maps of beasts or undead a bit basic in comparison.

redcrayon

So got a few guys on Level 20 to promote, so it's that time again to obsess over which class is best. Any recommendations for Corin, Saizo and Kagero in particular?

And how about who to use the Dread Fighter scroll on? Is it OP? (Hard/Classic mode on Birthright at the moment).
Dread Fighter lets you use a variety of melee weapons and tomes, plus high magic resistance as far as I remember. Probably a good promote for a melee fighter with a high magic stat, or a magic user with high strength.

redcrayon

There are no male Pegasus Knights, these are Sky Knights.
Still male Knights riding a Pegasus though-presumably there aren't any female Pegasus Knights either any more if the class has been renamed and opened up to all riders. Maybe it's because the avatar can shift over to being one. Still, there are other female/male only classes. Falcon knight used to be female only too at one point, but presumably only because it was a promotion from Pegasus knight.

NeonZ

The Japanese version had "Pegasus Knight" Minerva as a Cipher (card game) tie in. It was a lance-only (but able to S rank it) class with Dark Flier skills. Even putting aside Minerva herself, who was just another Amiibo-like character, I'm surprised that class didn't pop up in any DLC, unlike the Amiibo ones. Especially considering how the number of exclusive classes for males and females is unbalanced. It's the only actual DLC class in the game so far too (it's not locked on cart, but an actual download).

I think IS/Nintendo planned the gameplay first, receives draft for one game, and then they sliced the story into 3 pieces realizing it's probably not gonna cut it and starts introducing plotholes as actual plot devices.

Then Fates happened

I don't see why people think IS is behind this when none of the previous games were like that to this point. It's confirmed that the throne plot device came directly from Shin Kibayashi, at least.

Like I said before, I think this is just the result of someone used to writing episodic detective/thriller and adventure series attempting to write something with a larger scope and not adapting his writing enough for that.

Just out of interest, is this the first FE game with male Pegasus/falcon Knights? I can't remember others, but I could be wrong.

FE3 had generic enemy male pegasus knights, but every Pegasus Knight with a face was female.

CarJeter

Neo Member
Chapter 9 Revelation... I hoped i would never see this gooddamn map again but...

I am playing this on hard and somehow my team is consisting of people who are weak as hell.. I dont want my Corrin to steal all the exp and I dont want to grind either..

McNum

I learned something interesting that may change how I play my Conquest army altogether. It's going to be an ugly risk to take in the future I'm sure... but I just read Elise's personal skill: "+1 Damage dealt and -3 Damage received to adjacent allies" That is not a small number in Fire Emblem! That is a big number!

"Everyone hug Elise!" is now a potential battle tactic and not just a hobby. Just need to watch out for enemy ninjas and archers and guys who throw other sharp things. Pretty sure she doesn't care much about magic. I so need to get her a Horse Spirit scroll at some point, though. That's a good one.

As an aside, who thought it smart to give Arthur "Gamble"? Yes, let's give the accuracy deprived character a skill that makes him worse at hitting. That skill got unequipped as soon as I returned to the castle. I should probably forge him an Iron Axe (OF JUSTICE) with an accuracy boost.

Chapter 9 Revelation... I hoped i would never see this gooddamn map again but...

I am playing this on hard and somehow my team is consisting of people who are weak as hell.. I dont want my Corrin to steal all the exp and I dont want to grind either..

Then you shouldn't be playing Revelation.

Unit balance is a complete and utter mess in that route.

Just to give you an idea: At one point in the route a unit will join at level 10. Later on the same map, another unit will join, also at level 10. The difference is that the latter is a promoted unit.

Nohar

That balance is worrying. I guess that they won't update the game now, but still, after reading so many people complaining about the horrendous balance of Revelation, I though that IS would have corrected that already and made some tweaks. But no, it seems.

Oxx

Where do I input the download code for Birthright if I have Conquest?

The game won't let me go any further but it only offers me the option to purchase Birthright.

Edit: I think I get it now. Why Nintendo? Why?

NeonZ

That balance is worrying. I guess that they won't update the game now, but still, after reading so many people complaining about the horrendous balance of Revelation, I though that IS would have corrected that already and made some tweaks. But no, it seems.

Previous games had been rebalanced for the localized version, they even changed how promotions worked in Radiant Dawn. But NOA was too busy fixing much more important issues this time like stopping Kanna from having actual S rankings.

redcrayon

I learned something interesting that may change how I play my Conquest army altogether. It's going to be an ugly risk to take in the future I'm sure... but I just read Elise's personal skill: "+1 Damage dealt and -3 Damage received to adjacent allies" That is not a small number in Fire Emblem! That is a big number!

"Everyone hug Elise!" is now a potential battle tactic and not just a hobby. Just need to watch out for enemy ninjas and archers and guys who throw other sharp things. Pretty sure she doesn't care much about magic. I so need to get her a Horse Spirit scroll at some point, though. That's a good one.

As an aside, who thought it smart to give Arthur "Gamble"? Yes, let's give the accuracy deprived character a skill that makes him worse at hitting. That skill got unequipped as soon as I returned to the castle. I should probably forge him an Iron Axe (OF JUSTICE) with an accuracy boost.
I found an item called 'Arthur's axe' that I can't resist keeping on him. You're right though, I should forge and rename an 'axe of justice' that's a great idea :D I just hit B rank with him after inviting him to visit, and got the hilarious 'we should start a league of justice' dialogue with him. Love that guy.

I liked it when Odin was running the magic store earlier, and welcomed me with a dramatic 'welcome to my fell store!'

Sölf

That means your Xander only proc-ed 2HP growth with a rate of 55 percent with 8 level ups

I can sympathize, my second Conquest playthrough Silas and effing Elise are HP blessed and that's it

I have to update this. He is level 12 and only has 39 HP. He even was at 41 at one point, but of course someone died.

I FINALLY beat chapter 23. Took me another 2-3 hours I think. Had to restart at least 5 or 6 times because of random crits. Once when I was already on top and the second group of enemies attacked. >_>

This time I made Food (+1 STR/+1 SPD, also got +1 DEF) and debuffed the boss with the Weaken Staff. I also used up 1 rescue staff in this chapter. One use because of an error (Camilla was in range of a ballista and an enemy that would have attacked the next round) and once at the boss, because I just doubled and killed an enemy, but left selena within boss attack range, so I rescued her.

God. The fact that I died only because of random crits these last ~6 times annoys me to no end.

McNum

I found an item called 'Arthur's axe' that I can't resist keeping on him. You're right though, I should forge and rename an 'axe of justice' that's a great idea :D I just hit B rank with him after inviting him to visit, and got the hilarious 'we should start a league of justice' dialogue with him. Love that guy.

I liked it when Odin was running the magic store earlier, and welcomed me with a dramatic 'welcome to my fell store!'
Yeah, mine is using a "Justice Axe +2", which is just an Iron Axe +2, but it had to be named that. It just had to. Also, his C Support with Felicia was cute, I might have to see if I want to take those two further. He does have that Vaike/Lissa quality of naturally building the support. That is get hurt/get healed every single turn. Half of Felicia's current Heal Staff was spent on him.

Next chapter for me is... oh dear... Conquest 10. That's the infamous one, isn't it? Any tips before I go in?

Finally beat Conquest chapter 12 (thanks for the advice, PBalfredo) and I really hope that this is the only level with
limited time
. Didn't like that at all.

Edit: Oh, and Takumi can go to hell. That guy is insufferable.

I think Ch. 24 Conquest might be the end of the road for me. I just seem way underpowered/leveled. Even my best paired units are dying in a single attack from the enemies.

One thing I don't like about the game is how routine every visit to home base feels. And worse, it feels mandatory since it raises stats/bonds, etc. Eh, not too big a deal.

Finally beat Conquest chapter 12 (thanks for the advice, PBalfredo) and I really hope that this is the only level with
limited time
. Didn't like that at all.

Edit: Oh, and Takumi can go to hell. That guy is insufferable.

lol I've got some bad news on both time limits and Takumi

Also the few turn limits the game throws at you are so generous.

Frost_Ace

I've just beat Conquest's 12th chapter too. It was pretty hard but managed to snag both the chests and beat Ryoma too.

And yeah, I'm pretty sick of Takumi too. Hope the next chapter is easier.

Azuran

Banned
I just can't help but laugh when people mention how much they hate Takumi when playing Conquest.

Especially after only beating Chapter 10

McNum

Magic turrets are godly
And that explains why you more or less get a free mage of an appropriate level in the previous map...

I suppose I should get Azura a basic spear or something for self defense. Sure, she can't really hurt anything, but that 1 damage off a dual strike can be important sometimes. At least important enough to buy a bronze spear for her.

Renewed

And that explains why you more or less get a free mage of an appropriate level in the previous map...

I suppose I should get Azura a basic spear or something for self defense. Sure, she can't really hurt anything, but that 1 damage off a dual strike can be important sometimes. At least important enough to buy a bronze spear for her.

I dunno, she'll not really be fighting much.

McNum

I dunno, she'll not really be fighting much.
True enough. But it is funny to take out an enemy with her, especially if she gets a 100% chance of 1 damage against a foe many times her level. Or amusingly, do 0 + 15 damage as the front unit in a dual strike. I got a few kills for her like that in Birthright.

Renewed

True enough. But it is funny to take out an enemy with her, especially if she gets a 100% chance of 1 damage against a foe many times her level. Or amusingly, do 0 + 15 damage as the front unit in a dual strike. I got a few kills for her like that in Birthright.

I think the only enemy I ever defeated using her was the patrolling Samurai in CQ9 after I opened the chest and grabbed the Naginata.

McNum

How does one hypothetically turn on Phoenix Mode? Asking for a friend.
Talk to Felicia/Jakob in your castle, choose Next Battle (or just exit the castle through one of the exits.) You are now on the world map, select Difficulty from the list on the right. You can change downwards there. And only downwards.

That's how your friend can turn on Phoenix Mode.

Talk to Felicia/Jakob in your castle, choose Next Battle (or just exit the castle through one of the exits.) You are now on the world map, select Difficulty from the list on the right. You can change downwards there. And only downwards.

That's how your friend can turn on Phoenix Mode.

OK, thanks I'll let him know. What a loser!

McNum

OK, thanks I'll let him know. What a loser!
I will admit, I could be tempted to play a silly Lunatic/Phoenix game. Waves upon waves of units, pouring at the enemy until they win.

I'm curious, is it game over if you lose all your units on the same turn in Phoenix Mode? Or can you only lose through losing the map objective?

Sölf

I have a question how exactly the pair up/support bonuses work. I noticed that characters get more hit/crit when other units with at least C-Support are around. However, that seems to be only true if the unit is not paired up or at least the bonus from the paired up unit is way lower compared to when the unit stands right beside you. Can I read that stuff up somewhere or can someone explain how exactly it works?

Top Bottom