• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Jumped in with Birthright. Story is, uh, another step down from the series' high points, but the battle system is nicely refined, and I'm enjoying the characters to varying extents.

Chapter 25 of Birthright was definitely the hardest chapter for me so far. For some reason it seemed like the Dragon Vein didn't do anything? It seems like I may finish the game tonight.

Birthright Lunatic 21
Are the Dragon's Vein spots random in whether they create the bridge or dump me in lava with no non-flying way of getting around? If so, I might just have Hinoka pick up Ryouma and have them solo the map.

Also the map design in the past couple chapters has taken a nosedive, which is a shame. Still a huge step up from Awakening but the last few have not been all that fun.

Prax

I started playing on classic hard going Hoshido path and I have already died a few times before chapter 6 hit.. lol -- and then also a few times on chapter 6. I am not good at paying attention to enemy units, and I'm too impatient to start with turtling. >___> Guess I should learn my lesson now.

Definitely is harder than Awakening was on Hard, and I usually don't take into account the fact that enemies can also utilize pair-up and ally attack mechanics.. Whoops!

Story so far is uhhm.. brisk.. and Corrin's common sense is kind of all over the place, but I guess s/he's had a few PTSD/brain injuries or something going on which could explain that.. Doesn't really explain randomness that are Dragon Vein and Astral Planes hubs etc etc.. but we'll try to ignore that since they were just trying to explain an in-game mechanic.

What's funny is that I gave my Corrin dark red hair, so it's "super obvious" she'd be related to the Hoshido squad, especially with Hinoka.
"What do you mean I was kidnapped from Hoshido??"
canvas_by_meibatsu-d9srxaq.png

I think the support conversations and characterizations are a bit better than Awakening, but still not by much. The "loving creepy sibling harem" stuff drags it down a bit.

Conquest chapter 17 is one of the worst chapters ever in the series.
It's boring and forces you to go slow. I hate it more then the bridge chapters in FE 9&10.

GamerSoul

Jeebus these chapters. I'm not use to getting this challenged early on in a Fire game lol. Feels good tho. This game will definitely last me awhile. The mistake I made was promoting my Corrine and Rinkah took early. The still hold their own but I feel like it's gonna bite me later on.

Shun

Conquest chapter 17 is one of the worst chapters ever in the series.
It's boring and forces you to go slow. I hate it more then the bridge chapters in FE 9&10.

The map design is cool but the fact that there isn't a restriction hampers it so much.

You are supposed to take advantage of the dragon vein, but the game doesn't impose that on you and you can just bait and stall until the boss. The reinforcements could have made the chapter harder, but the spikes on the floor hamper enemy movement too and with flying units it makes 99% of the chapter easier than it is supposed to be until you get to the boss.

Hugstable

Banned
Birthright Hard Classic has me wondering if I should have gone Lunatic. But it's only Chapter 3. We'll see.

Those first 3 chapters are really short and easy, the difficulty truly ramps up around Chapter 9 or so. On hard though Chapter 5 and 6 should be a decent challenge. But 9-13 were really tough atleast for me and what I've seen others say.

GSR

Conquest Endgame Hard/Classic update:
paired up Paladins/Dark Knights will haunt my dreams.

Still going at it. Interesting how it seems to push for a strong balance of chokepoint management and aggressiveness. It's a good cap to the campaign.

Kenai

So i finally have a bit of time to post. Loving the Birthright campaign. The story remains goofy but the mechanics are pretty solid and refreshing, even if Support feels a bit grind-y.

Gonna be done with Birthright this week i think, then heading to Conquest.

Replicate may be even better than I imagined. My Corrin is already a complete beast, and now I get two of them. Plus it opens tactical possibilities since they share a health bar, so I can send one Corrin into swarms of enemies, but keep the other near a healer so that even if he takes damage he'll be fine right away

Gestahl

Birthright Hard Classic has me wondering if I should have gone Lunatic. But it's only Chapter 3. We'll see.

Based on what I've seen of Birthright Hard you're going to be bored out of your mind. Hard and Lunatic are in completely different ballparks and Lunatic wasn't even that hard outside a couple endgame maps

I got her a level-up earlier and it was just a +1 Speed. Her voice clip was this stoned, sarcastic "Yaaaaaayy...."

She is now a permanent member of the team.
Ditto.

Every time she says anything, I wish I that could marry her in real life (just a little bit). And I'm generally not that kind of person, so kudos to her VA.

Xenoflare

The ablaze version of this song is played all the way back for the TVCM for the Nohrian squad. (MAPB1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq0bxkvKVDI

This was for Hoshido (MAPA3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah_n2aYQpVo

Two of my favorite tracks, a shame that dusk falls isn't used as much in the Conquest chapters while Justice RIP (what a stupid name) plays quite often in Birthright. Has this "ghetto" okami vibes to it and I don't mean anything negative

Who's the team behind Fate's music? If it's the same with Awakening then I think they upped their ante a lot

Xenoflare

man, i don't remember awakening looking this rough on the 3ds.

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks that. Overall awakening looked more vibrant in terms of color and the sprites were slightly better in detail as well.

But the gameplay makes up everything.

The tome animation for the Nohr noble is really weird......why didn't they just use the animation from the dark mages.......

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
OK, I just got Conquest today. Important question. How young was the main character when she was kidnapped? Was it young enough that her name was given to her by the Nohr or did they use the name she was given by the Hoshido?

Squire

Banned
I thought it was pretty obvious what they were referencing, considering some of her other support conversations. I didn't even think of that when I first saw it, to be honest. Doubt there was some nefarious humor behind it.

I'm talking about Azuran, not Nintendo/Treehouse. But if he/she didn't realize, than fair enough.

If an Amiibo unit dies, can you get them back in classic? I am damn near the end of a battle and Ike died and I really don't want ro restart. Is there hope for me?

Xenoflare

OK, I just got Conquest today. Important question. How young was the main character when she was kidnapped? Was it young enough that her name was given to her by the Nohr or did they use the name she was given by the Hoshido?

One thing about this game is that don't take the story too seriously.

My theory is that the protag lost his/her memory(which the plot tells us) when he was abducted and he/she probably remember his/her name but not everything else

Based on what I've seen of Birthright Hard you're going to be bored out of your mind. Hard and Lunatic are in completely different ballparks and Lunatic wasn't even that hard outside a couple endgame maps
Ugh. Well, I'll give it a few more chapters. Worse case scenario, I'll just reset. No big loss.

GamerSoul

Nothing like a 4% enemy crit to remind you who is really in control. Chapters 10 Birthright feels like a chapters 17 in Awakening.

And why are there so many awesome characters? :( I can't use you all.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
What's funny is that I gave my Corrin dark red hair, so it's "super obvious" she'd be related to the Hoshido squad, especially with Hinoka.
"What do you mean I was kidnapped from Hoshido??"
canvas_by_meibatsu-d9srxaq.png

I think the support conversations and characterizations are a bit better than Awakening, but still not by much. The "loving creepy sibling harem" stuff drags it down a bit.

How did you take that screenshot? :eek:

Um, not sure if this has happened to anyone else or if it's a known issue (I'm using the Special Edition cart), but I just finished Conquest 16 on Hard and after the victory screen, the game went to blank screen without loading the next cutscene. The lights on my 3DS are still on and it's still powered, and the blank screen looks faintly backlit, but I can't access the home screen or anything, so I think the game might have crashed on me.

I would really, really prefer not to shut the system off and on and spend another two hours doing the mission all over again, but I might not have a chance. Does anyone know what the issue might be?

[Edit: Did the hard reboot, alas. Knocked the wind of my sails to see that I would have to do the mission over after executing it perfectly, but maybe I'll beat my previous time. I knew I should have grabbed the new stability update earlier today...]

Rigalo

So I'm playing Birthright, started on hard and then switched to easy cus I died like 3 times in chapter 5, went thru the next 3 or 4 chapters extremely frustrated on how easy it was. So now I'm restarting again on hard lol. Pretty annoying but at least I had only put in like five hours. Oh well.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
This King of the Hill wackness is kicking my ass !! Goddamn !!
I've boiled it down to send these units here and those units there. Then just stall until reinforcements. I was a SINGLE turn away from backing everyone up to the green boxes and just turtling to end the mission. What's giving me issues is figuring out which two units to send to the flanks. Right now I'm sending Silas and Jakob over to deal with the Archers and Odin and Nyx to deal with the Grunts on the left. Everyone else swarms the middle. Problem with that is that Silas is a useless sack of -explicative- who keeps dying and Nyxdin can barely hold off the siege before just having to pull back. The middle is fine. Maybe I need to send Avatar over to the right instead of Silas but then he's REALLY not doing anything. Maybe switch out Jakob and Avatar. The heals might make up for the lack of power.

GhostBed

Got Conquest in the mail, will be starting tomorrow hopefully. Pretty busy this whole week, but I'm looking to really dig in on Sunday.

Been seeing a lot of screenshots with some abysmal dialogue. Should I expect that for the game's dialogue as a whole?

C3385139-1456197811791634large.jpg

Really off putting if so. Will still play and enjoy for the gameplay, but I guess I was expecting at least something better than this garbage.

This King of the Hill wackness is kicking my ass !! Goddamn !!
I've boiled it down to send these units here and those units there. Then just stall until reinforcements. I was a SINGLE turn away from backing everyone up to the green boxes and just turtling to end the mission. What's giving me issues is figuring out which two units to send to the flanks. Right now I'm sending Silas and Jakob over to deal with the Archers and Odin and Nyx to deal with the Grunts on the left. Everyone else swarms the middle. Problem with that is that Silas is a useless sack of -explicative- who keeps dying and Nyxdin can barely hold off the siege before just having to pull back. The middle is fine. Maybe I need to send Avatar over to the right instead of Silas but then he's REALLY not doing anything. Maybe switch out Jakob and Avatar. The heals might make up for the lack of power.
When I beat that mission my units were mostly in the middle and right side of the map, with beruka and...someone else holding down the left side. I used the fire orb to back them up. I had Camilla picking off units that tried to get to far towards the goal, but mostly I was picking them off well before they got near there. Cleared 2 of the named guys, ignored takumi

Kinsei

Banned
Got Conquest in the mail, will be starting tomorrow hopefully. Pretty busy this whole week, but I'm looking to really dig in on Sunday.

Been seeing a lot of screenshots with some abysmal dialogue. Is this what I should expect for the game's dialogue as a whole?

Ca-73o-UAAAQgN0.jpg

Really off putting if so. Will still play and enjoy for the gameplay, but I guess I was expecting at least something better than this garbage.

That localization is better in every single way. Sure it's dumb, but being dumb is better than having absolutely no character in the dialogue at all.

Jeeves

I got the free DLC chapter and played it to completion, got the seals as rewards. But one of my guys died in the process (I kept going because he said something about retreating...they don't make it very clear when someone's dead). So I redid the DLC mission on an earlier save and won without that guy dying, and...didn't get the seals.

Now I have a save file with the seals and a dead guy, and a save file with no seals but no deaths. Am I just screwed? The DLC reward is really just once PER GAME and not per save file? Come on.

Top Bottom