• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Tingle

What dictates the persuasion for the prisoners.

I captured one of the bosses and he out levels every character that I have and I had no success of recruiting him

I think they have an invisible stat which determines the number of times you need to do it. Bosses seem to take more attempts than mooks.

GeekyDad

Boy the allied units AI... isn't great, or is inconsistent, is the word I should use. I'm in chapter 4 where you need to rush to save Hinoka and Sakura and Hinoka just sat by and watched as one of the bondage monsters beat Sakura to death. She was actively attacking the turn before too, like seriously?

You only needed to move 3 spaces, Hinoka. Come the fuck on.

It's consistent, kinda; Hinoka just won't move in that chapter... ever. Maybe she doesn't bother looking behind her? XD

And I got the impression that with the prince dude, the pathing was an issue as well. He behaved differently when I melted the mountains and shit.

Squishy3

It's consistent, kinda; Hinoka just won't move in that chapter... ever. Maybe she doesn't bother looking behind her? XD
I've tried like 5 times now and I just can't seem to get to that enemy in time to prevent it from killing Sakura. :/

And I got the impression that with the prince dude, the pathing was an issue as well. He behaved differently when I melted the mountains and shit.
I melted that mountain with the boss and 3 grunts on it and the prince just completely ignored any of them despite probably being able to one shot the boss monster. Like I don't understand how it can be this weird.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Birthright Chapter 24 or 25 (forget which one, lol)

The arena. OH MAN. I feel like the enemy suddenly became a lot more competent in this chapter, and they kept pouring out. I lost almost everyone. Thank God for Casual mode, because this game has made me realize I'm a total scrub. Luckily it was a kill boss chapter and not a complete route objective.

ChrisD

So, how does the Before Awakening DLC work? I tried it the other day but lost Corrin. So I soft-reset. Just beat it (for the first time) and got a Pebble instead of a Brand.

Do all three Awakening characters have to survive to get the actual reward? Do I have to speak to all of them? Or did soft-resetting count as my first attempt and I'm now screwed in regards to getting the item?

So, how does the Before Awakening DLC work? I tried it the other day but lost Corrin. So I soft-reset. Just beat it (for the first time) and got a Pebble instead of a Brand.

Do all three Awakening characters have to survive to get the actual reward? Do I have to speak to all of them? Or did soft-resetting count as my first attempt and I'm now screwed in regards to getting the item?

Yeah all 3 have to survive.

ChrisD

Yeah all 3 have to survive.

Oh.... Yaaaaay.
Considering all three of my attempts have Chrom and Fredrick run right into death, I can see that it won't be worth trying the map until I can run my whole army right into the enemies.

The Ally units are always so stupid...

Thanks for the quick response, I was about to try again with the same levels. :|

rhandino

Banned
Oh god, there are Fire Emblem Fates badges in the Badge Arcade app on 3DS, almost tempted to throw money for all the Hoshido ones =/

Hazmat

I've tried like 5 times now and I just can't seem to get to that enemy in time to prevent it from killing Sakura. :/

I melted that mountain with the boss and 3 grunts on it and the prince just completely ignored any of them despite probably being able to one shot the boss monster. Like I don't understand how it can be this weird.

FYI, no story spoiler just the mechanics of that battle:
there is no penalty for either of the princesses getting killed. They retreat and aren't permadeaths.

Miker

I'm trying to keep my levels even across my entire party in this playthrough, and I'm avoiding prepromotes as I do in past FE games (I've beaten 7, part of 8, 9, and 13), but it's kind of wearing me down. I'm on Birthright, and I'm pretty sure I would be crushing it if I didn't want to spread my EXP around to everybody, and focused on a core group of ~12-16 units.

But my inner completionist wants all the children, which means that it's in my best interest to use everyone so that they all support points. It's making things take way longer than they need to, and I'd probably wait at least a year before I get around to Conquest.

Is there any reason for Rinkah to stay in my team outside of being a pair up bot for Kaze, Azura has more damage up than her at the same level ffs?

Off topic from that, Oboro was really useful for Chapter 10 Hard, give her the Guard Naginata and watch her tank almost everything.

Luke_Wal

I'm sure this is a common question, but I'm going to be a doof and ask it anyways:

Is there a gender that you guys think is better for each version? Like, does one side have a lot of great romance-able dudes and the other side has great chicks? Or are the genders on both sides pretty much balanced and it doesn't really matter? I know I'm going to play through twice, and probably do a different gender each time, just trying to decide which one to do for Birthright (the version I got).

Kinsei

Banned
Is there any reason for Rinkah to stay in my team outside of being a pair up bot for Kaze, Azura has more damage up than her at the same level ffs?

Off topic from that, Oboro was really useful for Chapter 10 Hard, give her the Guard Naginata and watch her tank almost everything.

She's a decent tank until you get Silas and Oboro. There's no reason to keep her after you get them.

I'm sure this is a common question, but I'm going to be a doof and ask it anyways:

Is there a gender that you guys think is better for each version? Like, does one side have a lot of great romance-able dudes and the other side has great chicks? Or are the genders on both sides pretty much balanced and it doesn't really matter? I know I'm going to play through twice, and probably do a different gender each time, just trying to decide which one to do for Birthright (the version I got).

If you want every unit then playing as a girl is optimal in both routes. Since the kids from the guys this time there are very few girls you can marry and still get all of the units.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This game has a phenomenal OST. Why is nobody talking about it?

Road Taken is some next level nonsense

Map B4 is really good too

Moonlight

Banned
This game has a phenomenal OST. Why is nobody talking about it?

Road Taken is some next level nonsense
It speaks (sounds?) for itself, but yeah, the music for this game is astoundingly good. Arguably the best an FE has sounded. Resolve (Dark) in particular stands out as a really incredible track. My go-to study/thinking music now. The instrumentation is amazing.

No, but being a pair up bot for Kaze is really, really useful.

SolVanderlyn

So what does everyone's character look like? You can find an online customizer here.

This is mine. I named him Lorian. Tall MC build is so cool looking.

2oYCD91.png

It speaks (sounds?) for itself, but yeah, the music for this game is astoundingly good. Arguably the best an FE has sounded. Resolve (Dark) in particular stands out as a really incredible track. My go-to study/thinking music now. The instrumentation is amazing.
That's a really good one, yeah.

I need to finish all three games first before I can start praising the soundtrack to hell and back.

All I can say so far is that Mysery in Hand is the best boss battle theme in the series.
You of the Dark is my favorite by far. In the series, not just this game.

From the uk so the game isn't out but wanted to know which game has the better party cast. Understand the gameplay difference but think I'm going to base the first purchase on the characters.

NeonZ

I got Jacob to lv 10 but the master seal won't work. What gives?

Butler/Maid are promoted classes already. Jakob and Felicia are special and have 20 extra levels above the standard level cap and gain experience like unpromoted units, in spite of starting in promoted classes.

Gitaroo

can someone explain to me how does the SE works? I started my game but I don't think it has an option for me to choose which path or version I want to play. Is Revelation suppose to be a DLC code?

can someone explain to me how does the SE works? I started my game but I don't think it has an option for me to choose which path or version I want to play. Is Revelation suppose to be a DLC code?
Play up to chapter 6, then the choices are offered.
If you start a new game after that you can just choose which path without going through the first 6 chapter.

Ice9

I know this has probably been answered numerous times already, but I'm looking for some advice from SRPG vets.

I am wondering if I should try to play through my copy of Awakening before I buy Fates.

A little history, I have played and completed three Fire Emblem games and loved them all prior to Awakening. I bought Awakening on release date, and what really killed my momentum in the game was a my loss of focus with challenge maps and extra fluff-stuff. Also the children aspect, I really didn't like.

I got to about Chapter....15 in Awakening I think. Just lost steam.

My favorite SRPG is Tactics Ogre, and my favorite Fire Emblem was Fire Emlem for the GBA (I think it was Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken in Japan?) Absolutely loved that Fire Emblem game.

From what I can piece together, it looks like Conquest is the game for me, although I hear the story is pretty poor, but I can stomach it for a great and replayable game.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is should I give Awakening another chance? Should I just buy Conquest? Is Birthright a huge improvement over Awakening and maybe I should get both fates games? All 3 Fates games? Any advice is really appreciated.

Kinsei

Banned
I know this has probably been answered numerous times already, but I'm looking for some advice from SRPG vets.

I am wondering if I should try to play through my copy of Awakening before I buy Fates.

A little history, I have played and completed three Fire Emblem games and loved them all prior to Awakening. I bought Awakening on release date, and what really killed my momentum in the game was a my loss of focus with challenge maps and extra fluff-stuff. Also the children aspect, I really didn't like.

I got to about Chapter....15 in Awakening I think. Just lost steam.

My favorite SRPG is Tactics Ogre, and my favorite Fire Emblem was Fire Emlem for the GBA (I think it was Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken in Japan?) Absolutely loved that Fire Emblem game.

From what I can piece together, it looks like Conquest is the game for me, although I hear the story is pretty poor, but I can stomach it for a great and replayable game.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is should I give Awakening another chance? Should I just buy Conquest? Is Birthright a huge improvement over Awakening and maybe I should get both fates games? All 3 Fates games? Any advice is really appreciated.

Birthright is a massive improvement over Awakening.

I say you should skip Awakening and jump right into Conquest. If you really like it and are craving more FE action then get Birthright, and finally Revelation if the two aren;t enough. Just forget Awakening ever existed.

Shun

There is no need or reason to go back to Awakening unless you REALLY like the characters or story or DLC for some reason. Or just want to play that game.

Fates is much more balanced in all 3 versions and Conquest has some of the best and more challenging map designs and objectives in the series. Pick your poison.

Rainy

Banned
Beat Birthright Chapter 10 (Hard/Casual) after about an hourish? Was challenging with the traps but Kaze/Rinkah along with my Subaki/Hana pair-ups were a god send. Hinoka and Takumi are also really good.

Ice9

I think you guys swayed me, I'll skip Awakening and dive right into Fates!

What is the best way to do this? Should I buy a physical copy of Conquest and do the download of Birthright if I want it later on?

If I buy a digital copy of Conquest, can I still grab Birthright for 20 bucks?

Does the 20 dollar promo expire at some point?

Thanks!

Anustart

Chapter 5 beat me up a bit.
Sakura died again, tried the mission like 20 times, couldn't do it without someone biting the dust.

While I'm asking, are the other 3 seals useful? I use a master seal to make a character better, but the other ones sound like you just change the class. I like the classes each character has so far so should I still use them?

Draxal

While I'm asking, are the other 3 seals useful? I use a master seal to make a character better, but the other ones sound like you just change the class. I like the classes each character has so far so should I still use them?

It's more for maximizing end game pvp skills.

Top Bottom