• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

ChrisD

What the friiiiick at Chapter 10 Hoshido.
And Conquest is worse?!

I don't even know where to begin with this map!.. Literally, I've been staring at it for ten minutes.

Marathon map, let's go, I guess.

Cindro

Is there a way to see the matchup screen for potential enemy attacks? I'm having a really hard time figuring out if a unit placed in harm's way will survive a round of beatings, because I can't translate an enemy's stats (strength/crit chance/weapon strength/etc.) into a the actual damage number that will be dealt to my unit. Of course you can run up to an enemy to look at the potential matchup screen, but this doesn't seem to work if they are out of your attack range.

Hugstable

Banned
And Conquest is worse?!

I don't even know where to begin with this map!.. Literally, I've been staring at it for ten minutes.

lol the biggest annoyance of that map won't rear it's head for a few turns

Is there a way to see the matchup screen for potential enemy attacks? I'm having a really hard time figuring out if a unit placed in harm's way will survive a round of beatings, because I can't translate an enemy's stats (strength/crit chance/weapon strength/etc.) into a the actual damage number that will be dealt to my unit. Of course you can run up to an enemy to look at the potential matchup screen, but this doesn't seem to work if they are out of your attack range.
Calculations aren't that hard, damage is attack - defense, displayed hit is attacker hit - defender avoid, crit is attacker crit - defender luck/2.

Busaiku

Alright, got almost everyone promoted!
I feel so bad for Mozu, Nyx, Charlotte, and Peri though...
Just sitting there all feeble and whatnot.

Cindro

Cool, I've played every core western Fire Emblem game save one and I'm just now learning this.

It's pretty neat spending hundreds of hours on a series over many years and still not having a grasp on basic core mechanics!

Beat Birthright plan to start Conquest tomorrow.

Few things

MAJOR Birthright ENDGAME Spoilers!!!

I married Azura didn't notice any special dialog with Corrin when she dies at the end I assume its all just the same if you married her or not. Little disappointed if so.

I didn't let Kaze die, does he show up in the Endgames little cut-scene where Corrin talks to all of the dead people before fighting Garon-Dragon if he does die?

Elise/Xander/Flora/Faire Dragon girl all die no matter what correct? Not like Kaze where you can save them?

Overall Birthright is in almost every way a huge step up from Awakening, its still easy (seriously 1 map was just Faceless that couldn't hit a single person in my group and I didn't grind like... at all) but the base building was fun to mess around with for a bit (although it was pretty useless, I bought maybe 10 total times from both shops) and I enjoyed seeing other peoples setups.

The gameplay changes are really what sell the game though as you don't feel nearly as impossible to stop when pairing up like you do in Awakening and the guard system works really well. I will say that I felt like (very minor spoiler)
Ryoma and Takumi and their weapons
felt like cheating towards the end (Corrin never even attacked the last boss) but it was still enjoyable for the most part, I'm really eager to play Conquest's much harder difficulty as I did steamroll the last 5 or 6 chapters. I think the only gameplay complaint I had was the 'bonding' event with the wife was just the same scene again and again maybe it eventually changes but I got so sick of her saying the same line over and over and it certainly felt like it was a feature that wasn't entirely fleshed out or well developed (with our without the silly petting mini game), I wish it was more interactive like presenting presents and getting different reactions or having group discussions with the kids, ect. could have been so much more.

The story was a mix bag... (MASSIVE PLOT SPOILERS FOR BIRTHRIGHT!!)
I liked how everything EVENTUALLY picked up at the very end but it felt quite late to actually have stakes on the line for named characters. I had beat Camillia's and her servants asses twice and none of them died and I was actually surprised to suddenly see actual character deaths of other siblings, I did like Xander's nod to an alternate story-line right before he died though. Garon was a pretty meh villain his Dragon form looked awesome but he was a pretty basic I AM EVIL I HATE EVERYTHING/EVERYONE kind of thing, maybe hes more fleshed out in Conquest or Revelations but hes easily the weakest character in the game. There were just to many filler chapters overall I wish more actual stakes could have been on the line and reasoning for people to fight then there actually were.

I also thought the game did a very poor job of actually representing the war aspect of the game, you never actually see much of any of the war and honestly it just felt like two big families having a dispute then two kingdoms at war. Perhaps if certain characters had died earlier or other situations like Kaze where you could lose them (Takumi would be a prime candidate), or even if the other siblings you fight against actually could die depending on how you fight them (or you have to Capture them to keep them alive) could have made for some interesting moments.

I sadly had Hana die in the last battle but I didn't get but like 3 of the kids so I'll likely go back and get them and finish it again without anyone dying. She was easily my favorite of the non-plot related characters, liked her design and she ended up keeping up pretty well with (minor character spoiler)
Ryoma
although I made her a Man of Arms instead of a Swordmaster since I didn't have like a single Axe user on my team and that Killer Axe you get from Scarlet just felt like a waste to not use (she wrecked shit with it too XD).

I think I'm still being a bit nice to certain elements of the plot but thats largely because I'm assuming many of the questions I still have are answered in the other games.

Edit: 2 things: In general really felt like you to many of certain classes, 3 Samurai/Swordmasters when 1 is god tier just isn't needed. 3 Ninja's, ect. Yet you only get a single Fighter(Oni whatever)?

Oh and whats the point of giving you characters that can only support with Corrin? I get that some of them you get really late but when I got
Scarlet
I did a double take when she couldn't support anyone but Corrin and yet I would get characters later on that could support several people and because of that I just didn't end up using them. It's a surprisingly odd design decision when supports are such a big part of the game, like what even have them support Corrin at all or even join you if they don't have anything really unique to say to different people.

ryseing

Went on a kid acquiring run today. Favorite is probably Saizo's because he's alt universe Gaius, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Does anyone know details about how reclassing works, specifically in Birthright? I know there is unlimited battles and XP, but is reclassing as open as in Awakening?

Specifically, I want to know if I reclass my avatar into his secondary class with a Heart Seal, will I be able to reclass him back into Prince/Noble or into some other class? Because I picked Outlaw as my talent, assuming it was like Awakening where I could put a couple levels into Outlaw to get thief skills, then switch back. But with the weird specificity of the Seals I've seen so far (support level based seals, etc), it doesn't seem like you can reclass at will.

Kiro

I read somewhere you can carry over several of your units to a new game after you beat it. Is this true? Can someone explain this to me?

Miker

Had to cheese Birthright Ch. 12 with Reina. I don't think it was possible to do it the proper way with my current army, where everybody is level 11-12. I only did 3 challenges at the beginning of the game, then decided to stop because I didn't want to get too OP. I figured out a way to get Hinoka to activate the dragon vein before Xander gets to mid-map, but then she dies to the axe user and knight across the bridge.

Rainy

Banned
Chapter 11 of Birthright was so ridiculous. My archers just did overtime. Just correctly positioning and baiting all of the enemies took so long goddamn.

Mozu did gain like 4-5 levels over the course of this chapter though which was nice.

The chapter in conquest with all the ninja was absolutely the most annoying chapter lol.

Hey let's have a map full of guys do 6-7 damage after they attack you. That's fun.

Renewed

Does anyone know details about how reclassing works, specifically in Birthright? I know there is unlimited battles and XP, but is reclassing as open as in Awakening?

I'm not at the point of reclassing yet. Reading from this page on Class-Changing from Serenes, reclassing with the Heart Seal in a promoted class will take you to a similar promoted class. It might let you go back but you can just try messing around with Seals without saving. The class options are limited to your class options that each character might have (you yourself have whatever option of class when you create your unit). If you want a class that the unit doesn't have, you'd be messing with Partner and Friendship Seals.

I read somewhere you can carry over several of your units to a new game after you beat it. Is this true? Can someone explain this to me?

You probably have to use the Logbook and register units there. Try talking to the attendant for your Castle.

Why would I ever use Setsuna, the only FE archer I've ever liked, over Takumi and his insanely OP bow? =/

This was certainly the problem I had with both Takumi and
Ryoma
as the weapons they have make them pretty much god tier. I liked Setsuna too but once I got Takumi and his bow I just couldn't ever find a need to fit her into my party again, didn't help that Sky Knights can promote to a class that uses bows (that is nuts imo) either.

I think the only bowlock character to give Takumi a run for his money is Shin, and he has the advantage of a horse.

Foot archer wise I think Takumi is the best the series has ever had. So good, it's like bowlock isn't even an issue.

Kiro

Not a bad idea! I hear the growths are not fantastic though. Let's see if I can justify having 2 archers... Her level-ups have been very good so far, so it feels like a waste.

Really? I put my dread scroll on Saizo and it's disgusting how much better he is than anyone else on my team.

*exhale*

Ch 5 was some A++ tier level difficulty spike.

Is there any way to beat it without
sacrificing samurai dude
? Because it didn't seem like it...

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
How many chapters are there? Currently on chapter 7 of Conquest.

*exhale*

Ch 5 was some A++ tier level difficulty spike.

Is there any way to beat it without
sacrificing samurai dude
? Because it didn't seem like it...

Ryoma only retreats for this chapter, doesn't die
, though it is possible to have some serious rng luck and have
him kill the boss of the chapter

Anustart

Just made it to chapter 7. Now I'm in my castle. Ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

Really liking the game, glad I gave the awakening demo a shot after my only other taste was a wii game I didn't care for.

When should I be using pair up, and what benefits does it provide exactly?

Pau

I think the only bowlock character to give Takumi a run for his money is Shin, and he has the advantage of a horse.

Foot archer wise I think Takumi is the best the series has ever had. So good, it's like bowlock isn't even an issue.
Really? I haven't been using him because his speed has not been up to par. D:

ExVicis

And Conquest is worse?!

I'm not sure what Birthright has in it's Chapter 10 but goddamn Conquest's beat the crap out of me for a while. I probably spent 2 hours trying to beat the hell.

Got Conquest in the mail, will be starting tomorrow hopefully. Pretty busy this whole week, but I'm looking to really dig in on Sunday.

Been seeing a lot of screenshots with some abysmal dialogue. Should I expect that for the game's dialogue as a whole?

C3385139-1456197811791634large.jpg

Really off putting if so. Will still play and enjoy for the gameplay, but I guess I was expecting at least something better than this garbage.

Top image was cute actually, makes Kanna an adorable playful kid unlike bottom pic where Kanna sounds like a robot.

PBalfredo

Having Mozu constantly stick the two mutually healing shrine maidens in Birthright Chapter 8, like a pair of pacifist EXP pinatas is proving to me equally pragmatic and fucked up thing to do.

Zaventem

And Conquest is worse?!

I just finished it.
The dude near the first dragon activation thingie paired up with an archer triggers the majority of the center side to come so don't step in his attack radius. I flew a Pegasus over to activate the trap then backed off. Your best bet is to stay locked in the corner too since you know who is going to show up.

No joke i restarted this level probably about 5 times because i kept losing people, whole team was around level 10 - 12.

She can't take a hit as well as other people I have right now like Effie but she hits pretty damn hard whenever I do use her.

So pretty much like Severa then? She was a monster in direct combat, its just that she got bodied by magic users and couldn't take direct hits without a teammate with her lol

Top Bottom