• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I might give up on the hard dream and drop to normal. Chapter 10 (nohr) is breaking me...............
No don't! It's possible! It's even easier after you have a rythmn down of what needs to happen at the start of your mission.

L95

Path of Radiance has quite a few non-Ike recruitments, such as Haar, Makalov, or Devdan. Heck, it has two of the weirder recruitments between Stefan and Shinon. There's also weirdos like Karla or Cath. Something I really miss about current Fire Emblem is interesting recruitment conditions. The only really neat 3DS one is Severa in Awakening.

You know, I didn't realize there was a turn limit to recruiting Renault in FE7 lol, saw him leave those ruins and went... woa

...So they definitely didn't intend on you getting everyone in FE8, then.

But there also wasn't an endless game after the main story, either. Or looooads of character development in (loads of) Support Convos.

I guess I can actually appreciate the old games limiting when really looking at it as a multiple playthrough thing. But we don't need it in the newer titles. That much my opinion is firm on.
It's super easy to recruit everyone in FE8, the game just expected you to pay attention to get an idea of who recruits who. It isn't that hard at all.

Also, hilariously, FE8 was the first game with a postgame.

JoeFu

Banned
No don't! It's possible! It's even easier after you have a rythmn down of what needs to happen at the start of your mission.

I get to turn 8 without problems. Then someone gets crit, or someone misses or whatever. Been trying at it forever, but the last few turns something always goes wrong and someone dies. So frustrating.

But there also wasn't an endless game after the main story, either. Or looooads of character development in (loads of) Support Convos.

I guess I can actually appreciate the old games limiting when really looking at it as a multiple playthrough thing. But we don't need it in the newer titles. That much my opinion is firm on.
You could find who could talk to who by looking at the menus. Theirs a talk option and it would list the names that characters could talk to. Although nobody really even uses that menu.

Also the games would give huge hints on who to use to talk to the characters. In fact not even hints they just say the name (GUY)

L95

But... FE8 does have infinite skirmishes postgame. :p And the recruitments really aren't that hard, most of the certain character requirements are obvious in context with the prechapter cutscenes. Natasha tries to convince Joshua to help her before the start of the chapter, Ross and Gerik are part of the tutorial on easy. Ephraim's all "omg rescue Deussel", in a vacuum, they seem hard but are a brick to the face with context lol

ChrisD

All of it said, I re-did the Chapter. Went a lot quicker with the recruit + Azura. Poor Mozu will just have to get her experience elsewhere.

I checked every unit and didn't see him in my previous save. If he auto-recruits idk, I may have skipped over somehow. The save is saved over now, so I can't check again.

Onwards... tomorrow. Any more specific things like that? Just Chapter numbers would work.

Edit: I'm typing on my 3DS, lol. Why I can't check posts before submitting. I didn't know about FE8 having a post-game. Were there GBA Link capabilities to make use of the post-game with? Battle other people? Seems goofy otherwise.

I remember as a kid I thought I was soooo smart for baiting out Guy with Hector so Matthew could recruit him before realizibg the next time around that Matthew's 6 move mafe that entirely unnecessary.

On topic though, Birthright 23 was pretty good. I think it's a good example of what Awakening style gameplauly should be like. Rout and minimal side objectives work when the map itself forces you to strategize properly.

L95

All of it said, I re-did the Chapter. Went a lot quicker with the recruit + Azura. Poor Mozu will just have to get her experience elsewhere.

I checked every unit and didn't see him in my previous save. If he auto-recruits idk, I may have skipped over somehow. The save is saved over now, so I can't check again.

Onwards... tomorrow. Any more specific things like that? Just Chapter numbers would work.

Edit: I'm typing on my 3DS, lol. Why I can't check posts before submitting. I didn't know about FE8 having a post-game. Were there GBA Link capabilities to make use of the post-game with? Battle other people? Seems goofy otherwise.

All the GBA games have the link arena, yeah. FE6 also has trial/bonus maps you could being your postgame team into, but FE7 has little in the way of postgame.

Starting chapter 18 Conquest and the game is throwing comic relief at me, it's so stupid, yet it made me laugh so good job on that at least.

spiritfox

I remember as a kid I thought I was soooo smart for baiting out Guy with Hector so Matthew could recruit him before realizibg the next time around that Matthew's 6 move mafe that entirely unnecessary.

On topic though, Birthright 23 was pretty good. I think it's a good example of what Awakening style gameplauly should be like. Rout and minimal side objectives work when the map itself forces you to strategize properly.

I like Birthright 23. Feels more like a puzzle than a battle.

I'm at chapter 14 for Birthright, and the story is finally picking up as I slowly make my way through hard classic.

This is my first time trying a classic mode in a Fire Emblem game, so it's been a massive learning experience for me with a lot of trial and error.

ChrisD

That is... unusual. Maybe it depends on who you kill him with? I used Corrin.

It might also depend on difficulty, since I'm on Normal Mode.

Knowing that I re-did the map, he probably was in the team and I missed him. I checked and double-checked, but it's always possible I just didn't see the name. That's likely it. >_>

He's a good unit from looking at stats earlier. Now to find a way to fit him on the team. So many I like using already...

GSR

Conquest Hard Endgame update: I can defeat the boss, but I lose a few units along the way.

I won't allow this.

Squire

Banned
What the friiiiick at Chapter 10 Hoshido.
And Conquest is worse?!

I don't even know where to begin with this map!.. Literally, I've been staring at it for ten minutes.

Marathon map, let's go, I guess.

I just did this map and lord have mercy it was absolutely exhilarating. Birthright is nothing to sneeze at.

Am I missing something, or do I have to hitch a ride on a pegasus in order to have Corrin escape in Birthright chapter 12? There's nothing I can do against the fierce unit that comes after me, and I would barely be able to reach the dragon vein before he gets to me. Does the dragon vein make him leave? I thought all of Birthright's missions were route the enemy lol. It is the map
where Corrin has to escape the auditorium and has a ton of water and boats.

ChrisD

This is the
Ninja Village
map, right? Are you guys playing on a higher difficulty? I was on normal and it wasn't too bad.

Hard/Classic here.
It wasn't all that bad once I found my units could hold the choke points around Turn 3/4, Dragonstone Corrin is a friggin' tank. And even still I had to keep an eye on anyone with Magic.

It's still a lot of stuff on the map though, so much so that if you have 3D on and try to scroll the framerate chops. When first seeing it, well my original post covers that. =p

I just started Birthright....chosen Dragon as Talent. Is that any good? Any late game imba weapons? Or would Dragon form be better for melee?

Am I missing something, or do I have to hitch a ride on a pegasus in order to have Corrin escape in Birthright chapter 12? There's nothing I can do against the fierce unit that comes after me, and I would barely be able to reach the dragon vein before he gets to me. Does the dragon vein make him leave? I thought all of Birthright's missions were route the enemy lol. It is the map
where Corrin has to escape the auditorium and has a ton of water and boats.

Assuming you're on Lunatic/Hard getting a peg-knight ferry is probably the best and safest option. You can beat the map in like 2 to 3 turns that way. You can theoretically activate the Dragon Vein and then walk across the ice but it's really, really risky considering you have to fight alot of armored units and that you have a "timer" since the boss-Paladin vaporizes your units. The tricky part about this map is actually getting that treasure chest in the middle of the map; I recommend using both Peg knights (assuming they are somewhat leveled), and abusing the Armorbreaker and Sting Shuriken that the DOA character comes with.

Squire

Banned
This is the
Ninja Village
map, right? Are you guys playing on a higher difficulty? I was on normal and it wasn't too bad.

It's a good run for your money on Hard. It didn't make me wanna pull my hair out like it seems to for a few posters, but it's very much not a mission you'd sleep through.

Assuming you're on Lunatic/Hard getting a peg-knight ferry is probably the best and safest option. You can beat the map in like 2 to 3 turns that way. You can theoretically activate the Dragon Vein and then walk across the ice but it's really, really risky considering you have to fight alot of armored units and that you have a "timer" since the boss-Paladin vaporizes your units. The tricky part about this map is actually getting that treasure chest in the middle of the map; I recommend using both Peg knights (assuming they are somewhat leveled), and abusing the Armorbreaker and Sting Shuriken that the DOA character comes with.

Yeah that seems like the only way. There's an archer that opens the chest, and then heads back to my units, so I can kill him for the goods. I was just wondering if there was a way to stop the unit that comes after for or make him go away. Seems weird that they force you to leave like this, without even going past the map's halfway point though. Especially for a Birthright map.

Hugstable

Banned
I used Hinata' weapon to forge my Steel sword

is that the only way? I can't buy another steel sword.

They don't have Steel Weapons at the Armory in MyCastle? You might have to upgrade the armory to second stage to get them if not (option should appear near Chapter 14, at least in Birthright.)

After I got Mozu to level 10 I reclassed her to archer. She is finally turning out to be a worthwhile investment.

Shoulda changed her from the get-go with Heart thing, my Mozu is MVP every fight!

Also my Hana is a powerhouse and a half

hUAMZ8X.jpg

kaitain19

I have a question about this game: How does the Revelation DLC works exactly?

Let's say I've only bought the retail version of Birthright. Do I still get to choose a side? Or is the option still locked to the Hoshido side? If I downloaded Revelation DLC do I need to replay the whole thing until chapter 6?

silva1991

They don't have Steel Weapons at the Armory in MyCastle? You might have to upgrade the armory to second stage to get them if not (option should appear near Chapter 14, at least in Birthright.)

Shoulda changed her from the get-go with Heart thing, my Mozu is MVP every fight!

Also my Hana is a powerhouse and a half

Ah, I'm still at chapter 10

good to know about armory upgrade!

NeonZ

I have a question about this game: How does the Revelation DLC works exactly?

Let's say I've only bought the retail version of Birthright. Do I still get to choose a side? Or is the option still locked to the Hoshido side? If I downloaded Revelation DLC do I need to replay the whole thing until chapter 6?

If you have only the retail Birthright, with no DLC, you won't be able to choose a side. You'll only be able to choose the Hoshido option when the prompt comes up. When you buy the Revelations DLC, then you'll be able to choose either Hoshido or the "neither side" options in chapter 6, the later sending you to the Revelations route.

After you get to chapter 6 for the first time, you gain an option in the main menu to start from the branching point.

I'm starting to hit missions with upgraded units so Underdog helped Mozu shine even brighter.

Conquest chapter 14 was pretty easy. One of the only missions I've done first try. Had some pretty good RNG too. I guess it makes up for the crap RNG I had during mission 13 where I must have reset at least 8 times.

kaitain19

If you have only the retail Birthright, with no DLC, you won't be able to choose a side. You'll only be able to choose the Hoshido option when the prompt comes up. When you buy the Revelations DLC, then you'll be able to choose either Hoshido or the "neither side" options in chapter 6, the later sending you to the Revelations route.

After you get to chapter 6 for the first time, you gain an option in the main menu to start from the branching point.

Ah, I see. Does that mean I could have two save files, each for a different route? (one for the Birthright route and the other for Revelations)

Chapter 11 Conquest is so annoying. Having to deal with Ninjas and Paired up samurai is the worst and I had to tank with Camila the entire way just to get through them. I don't want her to end up taking away all the exp from the rest of my units so there has to be a better way of dealing with them without relying on her.

NeonZ

Chapter 11 Conquest is so annoying. Having to deal with Ninjas and Paired up samurai is the worst and I had to tank with Camila the entire way just to get through them. I don't want her to end up taking away all the exp from the rest of my units so there has to be a better way of dealing with them without relying on her.

Assuming you're playing on hard or above, Haitaka helps there with his Rally Defense.

Ah, I see. Does that mean I could have two save files, each for a different route? (one for the Birthright route and the other for Revelations)

Yes. You even get 3 extra save files for each route you buy.

CSX

Does she still retain her knife skill? She's one of my strongest unit, I'd hate to lose it. :/
She retains her skills she learned as a maid but will lose the ability to use knives as a weapon. Besides, her high MAG makes her more suitable with tomes than knives which are based on her really low STR

aravuus

So now that people have had some time to play the game, how's the story? Is it really as bad as I fear/hear?

I could get Birthright just for the gameplay alone, but I do kinda feel like the story would have to grab me even a little bit if I want to ever finish the game.

Finally I've married Jakob to Azura, their children will be godlike at battle, serving me tea and singing.

I also did this to get two kids created instead of merely one per person.

Top Bottom