• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

ChrisD

0xtSBLi.png

Only two I can think of involve having a character recruit unit not Corrin and Corrin having an A Support with a unit by a certain chapter in order to keep them.

Yoooo hold on, anybody want to let me know who this is and when my deadline hits. I'm spreading my Supports out, so nobody is near A.

Conauest is fucking cheap as hell. Been playing a mission you have to last for 11 turns. I think chapter 9 or 10. Alls going well then hey lets remove thw waterand enemies can go wherever they want. Spent two nights on this. At this point i dont have thw time. If this is a sign of things to come fuck this ill go play something else. I wosh i had hoursamd hours like i did when i was a kid.

Rainy

Banned
Story stuff for after Birthright 13

It's interesting how Camilla actually listens to your side of the story and believes it for the most part before Leo barges in, I doubt Leo or Xander will be as easily convinced but perhaps they can be swayed in the end? Who knows. Also Elise still loves you a lot, at least what I got from that scene after Chapter 12.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Birthright 12 grindless Lunatic:

I can get the chest fine, but damn it feels bad leaving about half of the exp there. Must try to squeeze out as much as possible.

What's going to happen is that the strongest 4 dudes on my team will soak up all the exp since they kill faster, widening the gap even more =/.

That isn't a bad thing, really, My combat units at this point are just Corrin, Hana, Ryoma, Takumi, Hinoka, and Kaze and Corrin/Hana are the only pair that really switches. Oboro has become pretty much dedicated support unless Takumi can't survive an enemy phase, Kagerou stopped getting used after she promoted and now Ryoma can ORKO generals so her Sting Shuriken are much less helpful, and Silas/Rinkah are pure supports for Hinoka/Kaze. Having a smaller dedicated team is going to be a lot more helpful than underleveled mediocre units.

Edit: I also use Azura/Sakura/Shura but they're pretty much just utility aside from a bit of chip so their experience doesn't really matter, especially for Azura and Shura.

Edit 2: It's also worth pointing out that Ryoma needs 0 investment so really 4-5 people getting experience is probably what you should be aiming for.

Gaz_RB

Conauest is fucking cheap as hell. Been playing a mission you have to last for 11 turns. I think chapter 9 or 10. Alls going well then hey lets remove thw waterand enemies can go wherever they want. Spent two nights on this. At this point i dont have thw time. If this is a sign of things to come fuck this ill go play something else. I wosh i had hoursamd hours like i did when i was a kid.

One of the best missions of the entire series. You might consider bumping down the difficulty if you don't want to put in the time to learn the map.

Quoting myself from my earlier "rant" about the kids mechanic

I think that the only thing so far that I really don't like is the children's mechanic. In Awakening it made sense because of the whole time travelling stuff, but in Fates it's just plain out weird. It doens't make sense at all, and it's not even something I can overlook after thinking about it for some time. I'm a guy who can overlook some plot holes when he's enjoying something, but this I just can't. It has so many plot holes it's ridiculous. The only thing I'm grateful of is that, at least until now (I'm at chapter 13) it's totally optional and not strictly plot related (again, not like in Awakening where you had Lucina telling you other children came back to the past, so it was kind of a major deal having to recruit the children, even if it was optional, for plot sake). So I guess I'll just not get the children, or at least not focus on them so much because I think their parents are already pretty interesting and likable characters. I actually wouldn't have minded children not being at all in the game, since the main cast is actually pretty solid. I hope IS doesn't return to this feature unless they can back it up in the right way, maybe doing a game with generations of characters, like in Genealogy of the Holy War.

So yeah, I can understand that as characters and units they are good (in most cases) but I still can't get to like the mechanic that makes them happen in the game. It just doesn't make sense to me and puts me off from wanting to use them.

I'm finally able to join this thread! Got my SE copy today (BB shenanigans).

Starting with Birthright on hard. I might drop down to normal if I feel like I can't use the characters I like.

Barely started the prologue, but I absolutely adore the sound and art already. The main theme is phenomenal, as is this first map's music, and I just love the ever-so-slightly sketchy look to the character portraits.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
That isn't a bad thing, really, My combat units at this point are just Corrin, Hana, Ryoma, Takumi, Hinoka, and Kaze and Corrin/Hana are the only pair that really switches. Oboro has become pretty much dedicated support unless Takumi can't survive an enemy phase, Kagerou stopped getting used after she promoted and now Ryoma can ORKO generals so her Sting Shuriken are much less helpful, and Silas/Rinkah are pure supports for Hinoka/Kaze. Having a smaller dedicated team is going to be a lot more helpful than underleveled mediocre units.

Edit: I also use Azura/Sakura/Shura but they're pretty much just utility aside from a bit of chip so their experience doesn't really matter, especially for Azura and Shura.

Edit 2: It's also worth pointing out that Ryoma needs 0 investment so really 4-5 people getting experience is probably what you should be aiming for.
I've never liked the small squad approach. So far I feel like I've been ahead of the curve in terms of difficulty, so as long as it doesn't spike and stay spiked, I think I can get away with fielding all my favorite dudes.

Man, is just me or does the cast this time feel massive?

Shun

I've never liked the small squad approach. So far I feel like I've been ahead of the curve in terms of difficulty, so as long as it doesn't spike and stay spiked, I think I can get away with fielding all my favorite dudes.

Man, is just me or does the cast this time feel massive?

No it is not just a feeling. The cast is big and the number of supports you get is ridiculous. Grinding supports has never been easier, but it has never been longer too with the extra characters and routes.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

So yeah, I can understand that as characters and units they are good (in most cases) but I still can't get to like the mechanic that makes them happen in the game. It just doesn't make sense to me and puts me off from wanting to use them.
While I like Fates this sounds like a general problem I have with it: they threw everything but the kitchen sink in without making it cohesive. There's additional stuff that either feels throwaway (lottery, capturing units) or weird (facing rubbing, sauna). The beginning completely fumbled the story which was novel for the series. They created a lot of new classes with multiple ways to switch. Fates could have used some trimming.

Gaz_RB

Yeah it seems like an unnecessary holdover from Awakening, and it doesn't belong in this game. They made it work in Awakening, but I wish it would have stayed there instead of becoming a staple of the series.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah it seems like an unnecessary holdover from Awakening, and it doesn't belong in this game. They made it work in Awakening, but I wish it would have stayed there instead of becoming a staple of the series.

It didn't work in Awakening either outside of Lucina.

Kinsei

Banned
As much as I didn't really like the direction Awakening's story went when compared to previous entries, I thought the whole time travel thing made sense within the story.

I didn't because (if I'm remembering right) Lucina mentions other kids coming back, but if you get the units killed or never pair them up then it never happens.

I didn't because (if I'm remembering right) Lucina mentions other kids coming back, but if you get the units killed or never pair them up then it never happens.

I'll take a Awakening Sequel of sorts with the terrible future of the kids, no time travel at all.

I like what they did with the DLC, I think its a good story they can pull off, since its nothing like fates three path

While I like Fates this sounds like a general problem I have with it: they threw everything but the kitchen sink in without making it cohesive. There's additional stuff that either feels throwaway (lottery, capturing units) or weird (facing rubbing, sauna). The beginning completely fumbled the story which was novel for the series. They created a lot of new classes with multiple ways to switch. Fates could have used some trimming.

Definitely agree with this.

I was mainly okay with the time travel, although I didn't like how they never resolved the "can we go back to our time" thing. Deeprealms are absolutely ridiculous, though.

In other news, reading through the hashtag campaigns/journo articles regarding the game's localization is really, uh, something.

Isn't that just FE4 gen 2?

doesn't that sound good to you?

I say it does
I was mainly okay with the time travel, although I didn't like how they never resolved the "can we go back to our time" thing. Deeprealms are absolutely ridiculous, though.

In other news, reading through the hashtag campaigns/journo articles regarding the game's localization is really, uh, something.
Yeah what do some of those hashtags even mean?

What's the matter bro? Fool around, have a kid, then stick 'em into a fan fiction tier time enhancement pocket dimension.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
No it is not just a feeling. The cast is big and the number of supports you get is ridiculous. Grinding supports has never been easier, but it has never been longer too with the extra characters and routes.
How is it easier to grind supports? Is it less required turns or something?

I think the mechanics on the battlefield are sublime this time around.

I ignore all that auxiliary stuff. I mean I'll build an armory and forge weapons, but I really don't spend more than 10min per chapter in my castle. It does feel little like an afterthought. That said, being able to cool off in the game after a particularly intense chapter is nice.

Marche90

I'll take a Awakening Sequel of sorts with the terrible future of the kids, no time travel at all.

I like what they did with the DLC, I think its a good story they can pull off, since its nothing like fates three path

That DLC was superbly done. It's a shame that we only got 3 maps for that future.

Speaking of which, I would love if Nintendo were to create a Gaiden game or an FE anime detailing the doomed timeline. A way more interesting setting than the normal timeline we got to play in Awakening.

Draxal

No I'm hella down for that, though any Genealogy part 2 without Ares and Sety would feel incomplete.

Well technically,
Owain can fill in Ares with his "sword"

Awakening is such a callback to FE4; even this game is too imho.

You could even say Fe6-7 is a reverse FE4.

Well technically,
Owain can fill in Ares with his "sword"

Awakening is such a callback to FE4; even this game is too imho.
Owain sucks too much in a non-grind playthrough to be Ares to me :( Especially since he doesn't get a horse, Ares's introduction is really what sold me on him.

Criticizing it for not having a Sety might not be fair though because I really only love Sety because of FE5 and I doubt we will get anything that broken ever again.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Nooooo do it! Such a good mission. You become a better player by having beaten it. In the short, you need to figure out the least amount of resources you need to commit to the flanks. And also using Camilla to bash the faces of enemies that are gonna be a problem the next turn. Mission 11 on the other hand, I just learned how to cheese more effectively.

Moku is Level 11 now after leveling 4 times in one mission. Archer or one of those other classes?

Silas while having decent defense, can never seem to take a decent hit for me. Going through Paralogue 2, getting down to the last few enemies, normal spear master or whatever walks up, even when paired Spear dude got 20x2 damage against Silas. Like everyone seems to take normal damage from enemies for me, except Silas. I really never use the guy except to get levels, mostly having him around to keep Sakura company..
Silas is literally the worst. I'm dropping him or reclassing him asap.

Hugstable

Banned
Silas while having decent defense, can never seem to take a decent hit for me. Going through Paralogue 2, getting down to the last few enemies, normal spear master or whatever walks up, even when paired Spear dude got 20x2 damage against Silas. Like everyone seems to take normal damage from enemies for me, except Silas. I really never use the guy except to get levels, mostly having him around to keep Sakura company..

In my file Odin married Elise, then the Avatar married Ophelia. Basically, this happened. (Awakening/Fates spoilers, I guess)

Heh this is exactly what I'm planning to do on my Revelation file. I married Odin to Elise in Conquest and I found their supports super cute. Ophelia ended up as one of my favourite characters but I had already married Camilla and my Avatar didn't have a Magic boon. I'm choosing not to use Ophelia in my Conquest playthrough because of this, but also because I know that I probably won't be using Odin in Revelation for anything but support grinding.

What Dragon's Vein is like one of the best parts of this game how can you not like it?

Anyways I haven't played Conquest yet but I think Birthright is better than Awakening in every possible way, and since I've played the series before Awakening it doesn't have any particular nostalgia that this game doesn't.

I was having trouble with the mission until I realized its ok to sacrifice units before chapter 6, as they don't actually die.

Yeah, I realized that earlier. Except I'm only starting out that mission with myself, Sakura and Azura on the top.

Just realized that I'm missing Kaze and Rinka. I only used a single save slot so I basically screwed myself and going to have to start the whole game over.

I agree with GrandHarrier so far. The battle system (outside of the stupid Dragon veins) and Streetpass (My Castle) are better in Fates. Maybe the music too.

I'm thinking your not use Dragon Vain effectively, you have to be strategic with it. you can't just activate it and expect everything in your favor

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
What Dragon's Vein is like one of the best parts of this game how can you not like it?
I'm thinking your not use Dragon Vain effectively, you have to be strategic with it. you can't just activate it and expect everything in your favor
Best parts? It's super gimmicky. Oh look I can freeze the lake! Oh look I can make it rain! Drop boulders! Make a healing pad! Meh.

Top Bottom