• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

L95

That future probably doesn't exist anymore, unless they mention it does

Yeah, it does, in the (Fates spoilers, for everything)
Fates two part prologue DLC Owain, Severa, and Inigo ask Anankos to restore the earth in their future since Grima is gone to the Awakening timeline and can't destroy it, in exchange for serving him.

Drowning your maps with reinforcements doesn't make the game more difficult, it just makes it more tedious and annoying. The Birthright maps would be a lot better without this shit.

Masterphoenix

Neo Member
I'm trying to play everything on hard mode but conquest (as stated at the crossroads) is more difficult. I enjoy the challenge I look forward to seeing where each path takes me. Hopefully everyone makes it there alive (A.K.A hopefully I don't say **** it at one of the more difficult missions)

Hugstable

Banned
Paralogue 2 is stupid, what the heck is this.

How many waves of reinforcements is there supposed to be? It feels like it's been going on non stop now and feels like it's trying to tell me to somehow kill everything across the map in a single move. Reinforcements are terrible

Drowning your maps with reinforcements doesn't make the game more difficult, it just makes it more tedious and annoying. The Birthright maps would be a lot better without this shit.

I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing right now...

Uh, reinforcements are a staple in Fire Emblem. If anything, paired-up bosses are cruel and unusual.

I've never seen reinforcements come out for this many turns before. It seriously feels like they don't stop coming unless I finish them all off at once cause as soon as I start getting close, another 2 packs run out.

scarlet

Paralogue 2 is stupid, what the heck is this.

How many waves of reinforcements is there supposed to be? It feels like it's been going on non stop now and feels like it's trying to tell me to somehow kill everything across the map in a single move. Reinforcements are terrible

I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing right now...

There are 3 sides of enemy, left using magic, right using arrow, and bottom side are flyers.

Try to find the weakness of those enemy and pair your unit against them. I put takumi on right, kagero on left and the rest on bottom side

Use the far right/left dragon veins, not the closest one, so your unit can mive freely.

Try to finish it ASAP so there won't be any reinforcements

Hugstable

Banned
There are 3 sides of enemy, left using magic, right using arrow, and bottom side are flyers.

Try to find the weakness of those enemy and pair your unit against them. I put takumi on right, kagero on left and the rest on bottom side

Use the far right/left dragon veins, not the closest one, so your unit can mive freely.

Try to finish it ASAP so there won't be reinforcements

I've had waaaaaay too many close calls with the promoted snipers that come in each group cause I know this is gonna be auto fail as soon as they down Kanna really quikcly, and it's really making me sweat with the frequency that they are shooting out.

OMG I"M FINALLY DONE!!! Only took me 25 turns -_- I just brute forced it and drawed every enemy in and killed everything in one shot. Screw finidng out if anymore sets of Reinforcement packs.

Yeah I'm not really a fan of those types of maps where it just throws everything out at you and expects you to just adapt. It really made Chapter 10 a chore to play through even after you get the pattern down.

I've noticed that you have to be extremely cautious in this game considering paired enemies and ninjas can mess you up really fast. Its probably the hardest Fire Emblem I've played to date even more so than the first GBA game we got in the west.

Busaiku

My chapter 21 was going amazingly.
Every time a character had more than 10%, they would get a Crit. Beruka got like a dozen alone. Leo and Odin got several too.
Everyone was getting 4-6 stats with each level.

And then just as everyone was about to kill the boss, I forget to use the stage gimmick, and it kills Felicia.
I didn't even have Camilla do anything, she could've easily gone for it, I just had her sit around...

How do I get past Hazamas Hexing Rod? Its extremely annoying and it ends up messing up my whole gameplan

EDIT: Nevermind I just beat it now

Well I've played through most of Hoshido and about 10 chapters of Nohr on the same difficulty and I can say for sure that in an actual war Hoshido destroys nohr,

Swamped

Banned
Any noteworthy or catchy quotes from these games? Anything on the level of 'Pick a god and pray!' or even
'Looks like Teach just get tenure!'
? I admit I'm only on chapter 9 on conquest so far so I haven't had a chance for the crit quotes to get stuck in my head lol.

Hells yeah just finished Birthright Lunatic. Hoshidan treasures OP.

I fucked up winning the first time because I gave my extra boots to Ryoma like a scrub and Corrin had to waste Azura's refresh in getting to Garon and then Takumi was short 2 damage of killing Garon and died on the counter. I fixed this the next time around.

I know people are down on the story and it's not great but it's a pretty big step up from Awakening imo. It loses a lot of focus and feels kind of directionless for a large part, like you're not even fighting a war, but I think the conclusion works pretty well and I respect the story for actually having consequences. The number of dead important characters by the end makes me like it more, since they all stayed dead. I think it's still not great but it shows signs of improvement. Hopefully we can get a narrator back.

I have a lot of unanswered questions but I'm guessing they'll be addressed in Revelation? It seems like it's in the name, though is it ever explained why it's cool for Corrin to marry his blood family or is it exactly what it seems?

MVPs got kind of hilarious when like the last third of the maps have Ryoma/Kagerou. It's hard to top murdering like everyone.

I still think the map design of this was what Awakening should have been. The objectives may have all been fighting but they were designed in such a way that terrain, enemy placement, and Dragon's Vein still made actually doing the combat way more interesting, not to mention the general improvements to the combat system with nerfing/making pair up interesting and reducing one man snowballing. It falls off some towards the end as Ryoma can shitstomp some maps and some maps turn into "big open space with tons of enemies" but still is like, way better than Awakening.

I was nervous about waifu stuff like face petting/bath house getting put in but it was really harmless and silly. I'd rather it not be in here at all but I'm not going to declare the end of the series over it. Children need to go and are bad for the game, especially as the explanation for them gets increasingly ridiculous. Marriage can stay, it's cool, though I'd be down for A+ supports being equal and for limits on the number of supports so that we can have them more naturally.

Looking forward to Conquest, though not looking forward to the probably terrible story.

Oh, and most kills went Ryoma w/ 240, Kaze w/ 177, Corrin w/ 140, Takumi w/ 133, and Hinoka w/ 77.

When are people using their seals?

Like awakening, class change for skills at level 10, or use the master seal at level 20.

Special classes like maid and songstresses go up to 40 so it's best to just class change for skills when you can.

Any noteworthy or catchy quotes from these games? Anything on the level of 'Pick a god and pray!' or even
'Looks like Teach just get tenure!'
? I admit I'm only on chapter 9 on conquest so far so I haven't had a chance for the crit quotes to get stuck in my head lol.

I miss tipping the scales. Haven't noticed any gems so far.

Also was this abrupt plot point in the jap version?
working on Hinoka's support when suddenly in the B rank convo plot bomb is dropped, Mikoto is not actually their mother and instead was a second wife (but your real mother?), no explanation given. That thing just came out of nowhere with no context, unless I haven't progressed far enough into the story to see (completed up to chapter 10)

L95

Also was this in the jap version?
working on Hinoka's support when suddenly plot bomb is dropped, Mikoto is not actually their mother and instead was a second wife (but your real mother?), no explanation given. That thing just came out of nowhere with no context.

Yes, it is. It becomes relevant on
the third route

Yes, it is. It becomes relevant on
the third route

I figured that's how they worked in the
not blood related excuse
but I guess the crux of my question was if the support convo (whether with her or the others) in the original plays out as abruptly as if you were suppose to know this already.

Javier

Any noteworthy or catchy quotes from these games? Anything on the level of 'Pick a god and pray!' or even ? I admit I'm only on chapter 9 on conquest so far so I haven't had a chance for the crit quotes to get stuck in my head lol.
My favorite so far is Ophelia's
"Luminari Uppercut!"

Honorable mention to Midori's
"My diagnosis: You're Dead!"

Shun

My favorite so far is Ophelia's
"Luminari Uppercut!"

Honorable mention to Midori's
"My diagnosis: You're Dead!"

Oh so that is what they localized it to.

In the JP version it Odin and Ophelia was AWAKENING VANDER and AWAKENING HOLY respectively.

What is their title this time around? Odin was soldier of darkness and Ophelia was the chosen maiden.

Harold should still be protector of justice.

I figured that's how they worked in the
not blood related excuse
but I guess the crux of my question was if the support convo (whether with her or the others) in the original plays out as abruptly as if you were suppose to know this already.

The Nohr supports are a lot more explicit and they are darker about the children backgrounds if you get into it. It makes their personalities and character traits a lot more apparent once you find out.

jgwhiteus

Just got the special edition today and started it up, and I'm already confused by which "route" I'm following, since all three are included. I think this is what I've gathered from the OP:

- I choose whatever difficulty I want in the beginning - normal, classic or hard
- I should play the game through Chapter 6
- at Chapter 6, I'll get to choose to side with Nohr (which would be choosing to play "Conquest") or Hoshido (which would be playing "Birthright")
- No matter which difficulty I chose in the beginning, on balance Conquest / Nohr will have harder maps than Birthright / Hoshido (?)
- I should finish the game playing either route.
- I can then restart the game with another save file, starting from Chapter 6, and then choose to play the other path, or choose to play the third path "Revelations" instead

Is the above correct? I thought there would be some sort of game select or similar at the beginning, but I guess the game version selection is just the decision you make at Chapter 6?

Busaiku

Just got the special edition today and started it up, and I'm already confused by which "route" I'm following, since all three are included. I think this is what I've gathered from the OP:

- I choose whatever difficulty I want in the beginning - normal, classic or hard
- I should play the game through Chapter 6
- at Chapter 6, I'll get to choose to side with Nohr (which would be choosing to play "Conquest") or Hoshido (which would be playing "Birthright")
- No matter which difficulty I chose in the beginning, on balance Conquest / Nohr will have harder maps than Birthright / Hoshido (?)
- I should finish the game playing either route.
- I can then restart the game with another save file, starting from Chapter 6, and then choose to play the other path, or choose to play the third path "Revelations" instead

Is the above correct? I thought there would be some sort of game select or similar at the beginning, but I guess the game version selection is just the decision you make at Chapter 6?
Yes, but keep in mind you can pick Revelation initially as well.
You don't have to restart to play it.

jgwhiteus

Yes, but keep in mind you can pick Revelation initially as well.
You don't have to restart to play it.

Oh, cool, didn't know that - is that exclusive to the special edition? I'm planning on playing one of the other paths first for story purposes, but I didn't know that Revelation would also be an option from the start.

Rozart

Do your siblings ever stop addressing you as their sister/brother? It feels weird to work on getting their S-rank supports and having them call you big/lil sis all the time.

Necrovex

Question about digital download. Is it possible for me to download all three versions of Fire Emblem via the Estore? Or do I have to buy the first version and download the rest after chapter six? I don't have a wifi spot for 95% of the time so I want to try to get all three versions while I have wifi if possible.

Renewed

Question about digital download. Is it possible for me to download all three versions of Fire Emblem via the Estore? Or do I have to buy the first version and download the rest after chapter six? I don't have a wifi spot for 95% of the time so I want to try to get all three versions while I have wifi if possible.

You buy one of the digital versions for full price, then you purchase the other version for half price through the "Explore Fates" option that opens up in the main menu after chapter 6. The third path "Revelation" is available for purchase and download on March 10th.

Necrovex

You buy one of the digital versions for full price, then you purchase the other version for half price through the "Explore Fates" option that opens up in the main menu after chapter 6. The third path "Revelation" is available for purchase and download on March 10th.

Eish, that's disappointing for someone in my situation. Appreciate the heads up.

Vex_

Banned
It's been out since Friday.

Yeaaaaah, Oboro's JP voice is my fave so far.

And the musical performance is perfect as opposed to slightly irritating.

Are we looking at the same site? Because I am currently following a thread there and not everything has been done yet?

Not sure if we can talk about that here. I will just say they are a "team"? Oh god, I fear I will get in trouble.

Hazmat

Do your siblings ever stop addressing you as their sister/brother? It feels weird to work on getting their S-rank supports and having them call you big/lil sis all the time.

Characters calling each other big/little brother/sister is really awkward. I don't know what the right fix is, but it's klunky localization.

K.Sabot

Are we looking at the same site? Because I am currently following a thread there and not everything has been done yet?

Not sure if we can talk about that here. I will just say they are a "team"? Oh god, I fear I will get in trouble.

There are files to patch your game if you are running on CFW. There's a japanese undub with subtitled cutscenes.There's a thread on the Fire Emblem reddit for it I believe.

And yes we're allowed to talk about CFW here, there's a thread about 3ds homebrew and cfw.

There's also a couple of delocalization patches in the works, I hope they'll be out in time for my conquest playthrough.

NeonZ

So are the captureable people playable characters? Are they good, worthwhile party members? Some of them look really awesome

Haitaka and Daichi in particular

I've been using Haitaka though Conquest Hard, and I think he has been pretty useful. He had good starting stats, good growths (adding base + class, 65% str, 60% skl and spd, 45% def, 35% res) and he starts with a C in lances and Rally Defense. They're probably pretty worthless on normal though, due to losing skills and starting stats.

Squire

Banned
Just best Birthright Chapter 12. Not as good as the thrill ride that is 11 and I lost Jakob which was a little disappointing because I made it through 11 with the whole team, but I'm on Casual, so whatever.

I have to say Setsuna is an absolute beast for me right now. Like a single pace behind Takumi. I pair them together and its nothing but fire.

Is Reina good? I like her homicidal bent. I'll grind those supports even if she's not a great unit for the story missions, haha

GSR

Final few turns of Conquest Endgame on Hard/Classic like:

T5OK1bR.jpg

Pulled through in the end though (thanks Keaton for doing exactly enough damage to take down the boss before we could all get swarmed and killed.)

yami4ct

Birthright Chapter 11 was way harder than I expected. Never really had that much trouble on a Rout the Enemy map in maybe the entire series. I feel like I should turn my FE player card in.

I forgot how tricky fliers can be early game when you don't have a huge roster of promotes that can counter them. The only units I felt I could really safely bait enemy with where Rinka, my 2 sky knights, the new Kinshi Knight and Oboro. Had to abuse the Kinshi more than I'd like and send here all the way across the bottom to take out the Falcon Knight. That unit was a beast. Screwed up many runs when I didn't instantly target her. Blocking off the middle of the left side with the Dragon Vein helped a ton as well.

Setsuna, Hinoka, Subaki and Rinka were absolute champs in that chapter.

Squire

Banned
Wait. Okay so...

I paired Jakob and and Azura
and now Paralogue 3 and 4 are on my mission menu. Because they both have sons? I guess I remember something about Azura being a special case. Does this mean that if you pair her with anyone besides a male MC, she'll have some sort of fraternal twins?

When should I upgrade classes? Is 20 still max level?

Do it at 20, yeah.

Renewed

Birthright Chapter 13

Hinoka ended up being my wall in the first half. Silas with Armorslayer and using Kagero with Sting Shuriken made quick work of the second half. Meanwhile Oboro, Takumi, Kaze, Jakob and many others getting good hits in and taking enemies down. They just spit out money, stat boosts and weapons/rods. I guess I can start buying Seals to see how I want to promote my team.

PsionBolt

There really is no feeling like accidentally suiciding your lord because you didn't think to check if the archer you were attacking at one-range had Counter.

Now into Birthright Chapter 13 and I've got most of my pairings done.

Azura x Jakob
Silas x Mozu
Hinoko x Hayato
Kaze x Oboro
Saizo x Sakura
Subaki x Hana
Takumi x Kagero

Not looking forward to pairing up the other two guys in the group since I do not like or use them, but I must get all the child characters.

Top Bottom