• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Delio

I looked at the map and was like... 'Yeah thats a lot of enemies but if I take my time it'll be fine' then I read the win condition 'escape within 16(or something) turns' and my jaw just dropped. You also don't get to use
Elise who I had nearly gotten to level 20 to promote...
This is going to be fun!

This game must be crazy on hard mode, going to have to replay it at some point.

Yeah not having Elise as my more mobile healer was throwing me off. I'm making good progress on the map atm but we will see if i can finish it.

Physical is fantastic for Avatar. The main recommendation is generally either +str/-luck or +mag/-luck depending on how you want to play them. Magic is good for dragonstones and (if you're playing Nohr) Spells, while strength is good for the yato. It is worth noting that the Yato has a special benefit on the last boss that you might not realize ingame if you didn't already know.

As for class, which route are you playing?

thanks! Oh yeah, I'm going to do birthright first

Just leaving this here for the record
WVW69i7WSQcfbzw4rk

I don't know why 90% of that map exists given that the boss is right in front of you and easily 1-turned (even easier with the Hexing Rod).

Flandy

You'll have to invest time in raising her but she's basically the Magikarp of this game.

I dunno about others, but I'm liking Mozu.
In Birthright I reclassed her to Archer ASAP.
In Conquest I have still left her as a villager, but she's getting better.

Of course I fed her a lot of EXP during her paralogue to ensure she wouldn't be too far behind everyone (still didn't do quite as well as I could have).

Not worth it. In general, if a character starts out bad they're not worth it.

shes in my top 5 characters, though my top 3 blows the rest of them away

7673783.jpg

wut!?

Should I ditch Jakob for her? :p

Again I'm playing Conquest and this is my first FE game so I'm a bit hesitant to switch her in

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Birthright 27:

Wow this chapter is hard. There's not even any reinforcements and the units and Garon wreck me every time. Even Ryoma has trouble. I might be underleveled (everyone is 8-14 promoted or so)

Birthright 27:

Wow this chapter is hard. There's not even any reinforcements and the units and Garon wreck me every time. Even Ryoma has trouble. I might be underleveled (everyone is 8-14 promoted or so)

I had the opposite experience, but paralogues and invasions probably had me a bit overleveled

I can't think of a single FE where that is true for all units.

For the record, Mozu is one of my best units, too.
Mozu is one of your best units because you gave her an enormous amount of resources to elevate her to being good. This is would apply to virtually any unit in the game. The difference is that the payoff is more noticeable so you are biased towards giving her resources so she has a strong payoff, but giving those resources to a more dominant unit will only make them more dominant for less effort.

Usefulness doesn't exist in a vacuum and the resources you're giving Mozu come at the expense of making a strong unit even stronger. Why should I give vast amounts of experience to Mozu when Selena does everything she can do but better?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I had the opposite experience, but paralogues and invasions probably had me a bit overleveled
I rekt every map before the
Castle Krakenburg maps
but all of a sudden I'm having lots of trouble. I stopped grinding because I got too good, but apparently I went too far in the other direction, because my units suck now.

I rekt every map before the
Castle Krakenburg maps
but all of a sudden I'm having lots of trouble. I stopped grinding because I got too good, but apparently I went too far in the other direction, because my units suck now.

Have you done any paralogues or stuff like that? They scale as you go on so they're pretty much the best XP source

Also, you may want to consider grinding since you can't save between chapter 27 and endgame

Ala Alba

Mozu is one of your best units because you gave her an enormous amount of resources to elevate her to being good. This is would apply to virtually any unit in the game. The difference is that the payoff is more noticeable so you are biased towards giving her resources so she has a strong payoff, but giving those resources to a more dominant unit will only make them more dominant for less effort.

Usefulness doesn't exist in a vacuum and the resources you're giving Mozu come at the expense of making a strong unit even stronger. Why should I give vast amounts of experience to Mozu when Selena does everything she can do but better?

Resources are obviously at a bit of a premium in Conquest, but if you need a good archer and your other archers got killed by the RNG, Mozu can be a good one.

In Birthright, I would say she's probably a better unit than Hayato, who comes later and starts at the same level.

Astral Dog

I finally beat chapter 10,
the one on the spa with the dark mage emperor
But not without a sacrifice, the poor Samurai boy died :/
the boss surprisingly gave a bit of trouble, Corrin,the Cavalier, the divinater and the boy could barely beat him after two turns.

On normal/classic, probably means i need more grinding.

ChrisD

Birthright 11 is cruel. I've seen more 1% crits land than 10%, I swear.
Then my second attempt ended when I followed the X-Button's movement trail instead of counting (always a bad move), and then moved a unit under the assumption of safety. It wasn't safe, counting the tiles would have prevented the mistake. I tried to fix it with Transfer/Sing/Pair Up shenanigans, but the turn was doomed from the very start when I made the poor move.

I am loving that everyone flies in the stage, I find more ways to get Setsuna kills each go.

Boney

Banned
I don't even feel like starting Chapter 12 Conquest. Those poison jars are gonna be trouble:

I finally beat chapter 10,
the one on the spa with the dark mage emperor
But not without a sacrifice, the poor Samurai boy died :/
the boss surprisingly gave a bit of trouble, Corrin,the Cavalier, the divinater and the boy could barely beat him after two turns.

On normal/classic, probably means i need more grinding.
Not to be a dick but it sounds the opposite really. Pay more attention and learn the ins and outs better. You shouldn't need grinding at all, especially on normal birthright

so how does progress work from one game to the other? Are all three completely separate? Do they just pass stuff on to the last part? Do Birthright/Conquest benefit from playing one, then the other?

PK Gaming

Unlike Donnel, Mozu can get up to speed fairly quickly and actually pull her weight once you reclass her into an archer. You don't even need to feed her that much EXP because her amazing growths (though if you get unlucky, she's done for).

Her terrible HP is a concern though.

Done with Chapter 19 finally. Fuck those Kitsune assholes
I don't even feel like starting Chapter 12 Conquest. Those poison jars are gonna be trouble:

Not to be a dick but it sounds the opposite really. Pay more attention and learn the ins and outs better. You shouldn't need grinding at all, especially on normal birthright
You can get rid of all of them at once with a dragon vein iirc

GamerSoul

Birthright 11 is cruel. I've seen more 1% crits land than 10%, I swear.
Then my second attempt ended when I followed the X-Button's movement trail instead of counting (always a bad move), and then moved a unit under the assumption of safety. It wasn't safe, counting the tiles would have prevented the mistake. I tried to fix it with Transfer/Sing/Pair Up shenanigans, but the turn was doomed from the very start when I made the poor move.

I am loving that everyone flies in the stage, I find more ways to get Setsuna kills each go.

It took me all night to beat that chapter..all night on one chapter. :0 I was able to finally beat it, rather easily by changing my strategy to a more offensive attack.

Time to seal the deal with my girl, Rinkah.

I just noticed theirs no Grid. That's weird, it feels like the GBA games.
Usually I turn off the Grid, but I feel it helps players better with it.

Are there any characters you want to avoid sucking up exp because they are just terrible or they are already promoted (like Frederick in Awakening)?

vareon

Beat Birthright Chapter 13! So many named units, I hope I didn't accidentally killed recruitables lol.
Camille
went straight in to my territory and got rekt accordingly. The last part was intense as armored Knights rushed in and my units did so little damage (and I miscalculated, fortunately survived a 56% hit). Overall it was easier than 11.

12 was weird, though. Here is one of the most unique setting in a Fire Emblem game! You can run in like two turns though lol.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Are there any characters you want to avoid sucking up exp because they are just terrible or they are already promoted (like Frederick in Awakening)?
Jakob/Felicia are prepromoted. I can't say they're terrible though.
I don't know how to build Corrin. Any tips? What's a good class for him? Boon, Bane?
First I would look at this to understand what each means. I lean more toward magic, but it's preference IMO. Just don't pick fragile for bane.

Okay so Shigure, Falcon Knight or Kinshi Knight? He gets way better stats from Falcon Knight but Kinshi Knight let's him use bows... though I think only being able to use shit tier bows is going to make that ability useless.

NeonZ

Generic_Edsel_CheveWyvernKnight_zpsq6p8kgn8.jpg

Slicked back white hair and blue eyes. I was surprised by how exotic the generic wyvern knights look after removing their helmet.

Also, technically I got that guy, "Edsel", from the Cheve rebels. It was kind of neat that their faction was acknowledged by the message about their capture rather than referencing him as Hoshidan or Nohrian. Then after the battle Mozu and Selena persuaded him to join Nohr...
right after all of his companions had been cruelly executed by Nohr's army.

Generic_Edsel_CheveWyvernKnight_01_zps8esjqkly.jpg
Generic_Edsel_CheveWyvernKnight_02_zpsujgf65hd.jpg

This actually makes me wish
there were an actual Cheve character joining in Conquest. I wonder how that would be handled considering how all of his former companions had just been massacred. Even if the joining event itself were bad, it could lead to some interesting supports too.

Jims

Wow, all the royals in this game makes figuring out your marriage pairings more complicated. I made the mistake of marrying too many of the non-royals together first (Hana/Hayato, Orochi/Subaki, Rinkah/Silas) and now I'm scrounging to marry off people like Takumi, Hinoka, Sakura, and Azura. Kaze suddenly became the most eligible bachelor on the team.

I feel like this will need to be better planned in advance when I do Conquest. No picking some random person off the bench for that game.

LProtag

Finally got my SE in and made it up to the split. Going Birthright the first time. I picked Cav for my secondary class... should I switch over to it as quickly as I can? I have no idea what I'm doing, haha. I've played Awakening a bit and some of the GBA FE's, but never beat one fully.

.JayZii

Banned
Currently struggling between getting $10 off on amazon and waiting for it to get restocked or just downloading it. I'm cheap. The struggle is real.

Really loved Awakening, so I'll start with Birthright.

Yeah not having Elise as my more mobile healer was throwing me off. I'm making good progress on the map atm but we will see if i can finish it.

I've had to reset twice, first time I was just about done but then one of the Samurai moved right next to
Ryoma
and supported him on an attack on Peri...
Ryoma
crit and she died, I raged a bit.

Second time I activated the Dragon Vein early by accident and Mozu was not protected.

I had to put the game down for a minute after that XD

ffdgh

Currently struggling between getting $10 off on amazon and waiting for it to get restocked or just downloading it. I'm cheap. The struggle is real.

Really loved Awakening, so I'll start with Birthright.

Same here lol. Wasn't expecting birthright to go out of stock so I guess I'll be getting my hands dirty with conquest first instead.

So, any tips on castles to use for grinding supports on Conquest? I've been looking around for some good ones, but haven't found one. Also, is there any way to know when you get a rank up, or do support points just keep increasing?

Also, finished Ch 12 today. First try I was suspicous of the free pot break and tried to work around them, but failed. Second I just busted them but forgot a few units in range of some of the more minor pots. A bit of a worrying rush to the finish, but I made it with both chests. Still a bit worried that my army is all around level 13 only with MU being the outlier at 16. Oh well, chapter 13 ahoy!

Top Bottom